In at NYU: Class of 2015...With Another New Poll! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Section Are You?

Section 1
6%
Section 2
19%
Section 3
6%
Section 4
19%
Section 5
19%
I think there are 5 sections. If I'm wrong, click here
6%
Creeper option
25%

Total votes: 16

Unagi

Bronze

Re: In at NYU: Class of 2015...New Poll!

Post by Unagi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 am

kulshan wrote:
xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:So for any named scholarship applicants (like myself) who were freaking out yesterday after not receiving any letters with offers- I called finaid just now, and they said that they cannot release our offers until admissions lets them know if we will be receiving interviews or not. That release should be in their hands by early next week at the latest, and which point they will be able to send out our offers in the next batch (early next week).
Thanks for the info!
Thanks!!

pineappledazzler

Bronze

Post by pineappledazzler » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
avd90 wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Has anyone gotten an unexpectedly low $$ amount based on their numbers, possibly because of parents income?

I'm kinda worried because my parents income is well above $250k, but they're not about to hand me $100k+ for school either. I'm above 75th for GPA but only slightly above the median for LSAT, so I'd like to see some money, but just not sure how much my family is going to hurt me.

Also I just got my FAFSA/NA in Monday so it might be a little bit until I know.
This happened to my friend at another school. NYU would most likely have no idea about your financial situation if you just put fafsa in, so I wouldn't assume it's about your parents income bracket. Perhaps you could call or email to ask about this? Was this merit aid or financial? With an income that high I don't think you'll be getting anything in the way of financial aid.
Just sent in FAFSA and Needs Access this week so I haven't gotten any sort of response yet, I'm just speculating on how much parents income really matters for merit money. I certainly don't expect anything for "need" money, but NYU makes it seem like we'll be evaluated apart from our parents for merit. Color me skeptical on that, but we shall see.
I'm in your situation too (like I said earlier in the thread, 174/3.8 - was awarded a grand total of $0!)

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Hmm - still haven't received any letter at all. I was in the first round of acceptances, and got my FAFSA and needaccess in on time. Should I call and ask if they're missing anything they need?

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm going to send NYU an email to try to negotiate for a larger scholarship (they gave me $37,500/$45,000 with PI). I have a scholarship from Chicago that I'm going to mention, but is there any point in also adding that I'm in at Columbia? I haven't heard back from Columbia about aid yet.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 pm

curiouscat wrote:I'm going to send NYU an email to try to negotiate for a larger scholarship (they gave me $37,500/$45,000 with PI). I have a scholarship from Chicago that I'm going to mention, but is there any point in also adding that I'm in at Columbia? I haven't heard back from Columbia about aid yet.
they gave me the same thing. its not greedy to ask for more?- i wanted 45-50 guaranteed.

Georgetown gave me a lot im going ot ask them to meet them halfway

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm going to do the same thing as ask them to meet Duke halfway--which is basically matching Umich's offer. I am not sure if I should include the Mich offer as well or if they'll want to offer less than Mich.

I feel like I am buying a car.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:36 pm

jetissent wrote:I'm going to do the same thing as ask them to meet Duke halfway--which is basically matching Umich's offer. I am not sure if I should include the Mich offer as well or if they'll want to offer less than Mich.

I feel like I am buying a car.
Well, UMich has the benefit of being higher up in the rankings, if that makes any difference for negotiation.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Emailed my appeal to NYU earlier this morning. They got back to me this afternoon and opened up the My Appeals section on FAAPS, so now I'm submitting my request through there.

yansky22

New

Post by yansky22 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Hmm - still haven't received any letter at all. I was in the first round of acceptances, and got my FAFSA and needaccess in on time. Should I call and ask if they're missing anything they need?
I'm in the same position as you. I called them this morning, and the fin aid rep said they only sent out the first group yesterday and we should all hear within a week. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Visited NYU, loved it even more, especially after talking to my tour guide. Pretty sure that's where I'll be.

brogoc

New

Post by brogoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:21 pm

snehpets wrote:Visited NYU, loved it even more, especially after talking to my tour guide. Pretty sure that's where I'll be.
Any highlights? I made it to a regional event but probably won't be able to visit the school, and am strongly leaning towards NYU.

BaseballT

New

Post by BaseballT » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:23 pm

snehpets wrote:Visited NYU, loved it even more, especially after talking to my tour guide. Pretty sure that's where I'll be.
just curious as to whether you visited Columbia at all/if so, what factors are leading you to lean toward NYU over CLS?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:03 pm

BaseballT wrote:
just curious as to whether you visited Columbia at all/if so, what factors are leading you to lean toward NYU over CLS?
Visited both but didn't get to take the official tour of Columbia, which was sad. I did go on a self-guided tour and visited the law library and things. The tour I went on today wasn't super informative or anything, it was just led by a student.

As asked above: NYU highlights. The neighborhood is really cool of course, which you might know. Lots of food/people around even late at night. The buildings itself aren't anything amazing but they're pretty...cozy, I guess? They were nice, just in an old-ish way. For the CLS question above, I thought columbia's buildings were really nice, much more modern, and of course the rest of the campus buildings were gorgeous. The tour of nyu took us to some classrooms, the auditorium, the lounge areas, etc. honestly, the buildings themselves were just buildings at both places, though I suppose columbia's are probably nicer.

My tour guide at nyu was great. Awkward if she reads tls, lol. She lives off-campus and says it hasn't affected her social life at all, which was a concern for me. She seemed really involved in her organization. She stressed multiple times how great her professors have been, how committed nyu grads are to helping other nyu grads get jobs, how she literally doesn't know anyone, even 1Ls, without summer jobs, etc. she also praised the career office (both public and private) super highly, and just from the anecdotes she told the school sounds really committed to improving and listening to student needs/requests. She also made an interesting point about how NYU's high level of PI affects their ranking negatively, which should've occurred to me before but it hadn't. For those interested in international opportunities she had a lot of great examples for why NYU is awesome for that. Obviously she's biased, but she had a long list of anecdotes to back stuff up, and it's not like nyu was the best school she'd gotten into and was trying to justify it.

So anyway: Why I'm leaning towards NYU. To be fair, I was doing so before and it was
more that she assuaged my fears than anything else. I'd rather live downtown than the UWS,I like that NYU students really seem focused on a collaborative atmosphere (she stressed that many times). They also just seemed...happier? That's just a silly vibe thing, but she mentioned thinking the same thing when she visited both (she also talked to a few CLS students who told her not to come to CLS). Anyway, my fears were mostly centered around shooting myself in the foot job-wise by going to NYU. However, her point that she didn't know anyone that was unemployed, her praise for the career office, a story she told about a CLS grad telling her that CLS hadn't helped her get any job NYU wouldn't have (anecdotal, of course) really helped with my concerns in that regard.

I just think I would be happier at NYU overall, and tls always mentions how important that is I your success, especially when choosing between peer law schools. However, none of this is meant to be bashing CLS AT ALL. It's a gorgeous school, I'm sure a lot of people love it, it's higher ranked, etc. i have a friend going there and i think it'll be perfect for her. I could probably be totally happier there. But for me my visit just really confirmed that the soft factors I love at NYU are enough to push me over the edge. For ME, nyu seems like the right choice.

Sidenote, though it doesn't apply to me, she seriously sold me on NYU's PI benefits. 

This kind of rambles, sorry. Hope it sort of answered you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaseballT

New

Post by BaseballT » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:16 pm

snehpets wrote:
BaseballT wrote:
Visited both but didn't get to take the official tour of Columbia, which was sad. I did go on a self-guided tour and visited the law library and things. The tour I went on today wasn't super informative or anything, it was just led by a student.

As asked above: NYU highlights. The neighborhood is really cool of course, which you might know. Lots of food/people around even late at night. The buildings itself aren't anything amazing but they're pretty...cozy, I guess? They were nice, just in an old-ish way. For the CLS question above, I thought columbia's buildings were really nice, much more modern, and of course the rest of the campus buildings were gorgeous. The tour of nyu took us to some classrooms, the auditorium, the lounge areas, etc. honestly, the buildings themselves were just buildings at both places, though I suppose columbia's are probably nicer.

My tour guide at nyu was great. Awkward if she reads tls, lol. She lives off-campus and says it hasn't affected her social life at all, which was a concern for me. She seemed really involved in her organization. She stressed multiple times how great her professors have been, how committed nyu grads are to helping other nyu grads get jobs, how she literally doesn't know anyone, even 1Ls, without summer jobs, etc. she also praised the career office (both public and private) super highly, and just from the anecdotes she told the school sounds really committed to improving and listening to student needs/requests. She also made an interesting point about how NYU's high level of PI affects their ranking negatively, which should've occurred to me before but it hadn't. For those interested in international opportunities she had a lot of great examples for why NYU is awesome for that. Obviously she's biased, but she had a long list of anecdotes to back stuff up, and it's not like nyu was the best school she'd gotten into and was trying to justify it.

So anyway: Why I'm leaning towards NYU. To be fair, I was doing so before and it was
more that she assuaged my fears than anything else. I'd rather live downtown than the UWS,I like that NYU students really seem focused on a collaborative atmosphere (she stressed that many times). They also just seemed...happier? That's just a silly vibe thing, but she mentioned thinking the same thing when she visited both (she also talked to a few CLS students who told her not to come to CLS). Anyway, my fears were mostly centered around shooting myself in the foot job-wise by going to NYU. However, her point that she didn't know anyone that was unemployed, her praise for the career office, a story she told about a CLS grad telling her that CLS hadn't helped her get any job NYU wouldn't have (anecdotal, of course) really helped with my concerns in that regard.

I just think I would be happier at NYU overall, and tls always mentions how important that is I your success, especially when choosing between peer law schools. However, none of this is meant to be bashing CLS AT ALL. It's a gorgeous school, I'm sure a lot of people love it, it's higher ranked, etc. i have a friend going there and i think it'll be perfect for her. I could probably be totally happier there. But for me my visit just really confirmed that the soft factors I love at NYU are enough to push me over the edge. For ME, nyu seems like the right choice.

Sidenote, though it doesn't apply to me, she seriously sold me on NYU's PI benefits. 

Thanks for the detailed response! Trying to figure out CLS vs. NYU myself, so it's helpful to hear what is driving this choice for others.

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 pm

RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take Two

Silver

Post by Take Two » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Unagi wrote:RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!!!!!! :D

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Unagi wrote:RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK RTK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOORAY!!! Congratulations!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brogoc

New

Post by brogoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:29 pm

This kind of rambles, sorry. Hope it sort of answered you?[/quote]

Thanks for this. Makes me like NYU more and more.

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:35 pm

snehpets wrote:

Super cool response (very clear thought-processes). I'd definitely try to befriend you in real life.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:56 pm

SOMEONE HELP. On vacation, no computer so I don't can't search to see if anyone asked this, but what username are you guys using to log in and view the financial aid info? I tried the LSAC number and it didn't work. Are we supposed to have another username?
THANK YOU SO MUCH

BaseballT

New

Post by BaseballT » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:57 pm

AmandaPB wrote:SOMEONE HELP. On vacation, no computer so I don't can't search to see if anyone asked this, but what username are you guys using to log in and view the financial aid info? I tried the LSAC number and it didn't work. Are we supposed to have another username?
THANK YOU SO MUCH
You use your SSN

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 pm

BaseballT wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:SOMEONE HELP. On vacation, no computer so I don't can't search to see if anyone asked this, but what username are you guys using to log in and view the financial aid info? I tried the LSAC number and it didn't work. Are we supposed to have another username?
THANK YOU SO MUCH
You use your SSN
Thanks, I don't know what I'm doing and I'm trying to have other people do this for me over the phone.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 pm

37.5/45 w/ PI

lawschool899

Bronze

Post by lawschool899 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi everyone. So i got nothing at NYU, 30k at chi and 75k at duke...can i use both chi and duke to negotiate with NYU? i doubt id take NYU at sticker over 30k from chi, especially since i live in chicago. thanks for the help in advance.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:32 pm

lawschool899 wrote:Hi everyone. So i got nothing at NYU, 30k at chi and 75k at duke...can i use both chi and duke to negotiate with NYU? i doubt id take NYU at sticker over 30k from chi, especially since i live in chicago. thanks for the help in advance.
Not sure why people keep on asking this. Just try, you have absolutely nothing to lose.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”