quinnipiac c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zuckaz48

New

quinnipiac c/o 2015

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:19 pm

I didn't see a thread for this yet.

It's kind of my backup and hoping for mad money from here.

I really like the area for raging and the school is also very nice.

Anyone else apply here and if so, hear anything?

akarenina

New

Re: quinnipiac c/o 2015

Post by akarenina » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Applied... haven't heard anything...

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:09 pm

same here

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:41 pm

accepted today via email

ShowJumper560

New

Post by ShowJumper560 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Accepted today via e-mail also

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Applied there last year due to location. QU is definitely generous when it comes to scholarships. Didn't matriculate after I got my retake score but I was impressed with the facilities and the faculty's credentials. My only advice is be wary of the employment prospects: at an open house last year the career services people stated that 30% of the graduates from 2010 were employed in private firms and a huge chunk of grads reported "business" as their place of employment. For me, that was eye-opening and scary as fuck. But if you get that dean's scholarship (full ride, stipend and research assistant position if you want it) and wanted to stay in CT, I suppose it wouldn't be bad.

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:21 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Applied there last year due to location. QU is definitely generous when it comes to scholarships. Didn't matriculate after I got my retake score but I was impressed with the facilities and the faculty's credentials. My only advice is be wary of the employment prospects: at an open house last year the career services people stated that 30% of the graduates from 2010 were employed in private firms and a huge chunk of grads reported "business" as their place of employment. For me, that was eye-opening and scary as fuck. But if you get that dean's scholarship (full ride, stipend and research assistant position if you want it) and wanted to stay in CT, I suppose it wouldn't be bad.
Thanks a lot. This was my safety school because of it's facilities. I have been there numerous times because I have friends that go there for undergrad and i am familiar with the area. I have gotten into some of my higher rated schools already so qu seems like a dead issue for me at the moment.

Snlckaz31

New

Post by Snlckaz31 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 am

Got accepted here and WNE on 12/21. I'm only applying for part time programs and only to the three schools within driving distance of where I live because I have a full time job and family. I will be attending Quinnipiac unless I get accepted to UConn's part time program. But I probably won't here back from them for quite some time with my mediocre numbers. 3.32/154

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:26 pm

anyone else get the letter about scheduling an interview? If there is potential for my scholarship money, that could be interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LWOP

New

Post by LWOP » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 pm

applied... way down my list tho

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:14 pm

I got in a few months ago. I'll probably end up there this fall. I've gotten into a few "better" schools, but QU is giving me a gorgeous scholarship package and the cost of attendance for me is dirt cheap, so I plan on being there (assuming the world doesn't go crazy and I get a full-ride to a school more highly ranked). Anyone else attending in the fall?

Snlckaz31

New

Post by Snlckaz31 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:58 am

I'll be attending the part time program if I'm not admitted into UConn. So, a decent chance I'll be attending.

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Does anyone know where most law/grad students try to live in Hamden/New Haven. I'll be flying to CT for the accepted student week in early March and I'm trying to narrow down places to look for apartments in the short time I'm there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Snlckaz31

New

Post by Snlckaz31 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:15 am

This probably isn't of much help, but avoid new haven. The rent will be attractive and online pictures may be nice, but before you rent anywhere, drive around the area at night. Check local crime statistics. And my favorite and most accurate way of finding out if an area is nice to live in: check the sex offender registry online. If there are lots of registered sex offenders within a mile of your apartment, look elsewhere.

JonnyBart

New

Post by JonnyBart » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:57 am

zuckaz48 wrote:anyone else get the letter about scheduling an interview? If there is potential for my scholarship money, that could be interesting.
I got 30K/year from QU and got the letter for a further scholarship interview. Like you, it could make things interesting for me.

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:08 pm

JonnyBart wrote:
zuckaz48 wrote:anyone else get the letter about scheduling an interview? If there is potential for my scholarship money, that could be interesting.
I got 30K/year from QU and got the letter for a further scholarship interview. Like you, it could make things interesting for me.
yea i scheduled the interview and am going there in a week. gonna check out uconn while im there too.

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Well be sure to tell us what you think after your visit. I won't be there for another month and a half.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:38 pm

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:Well be sure to tell us what you think after your visit. I won't be there for another month and a half.
I looked heavily into QUSL after being granted the dean's scholarship, though as I said above I didn't matriculate. However, I still did get a lot of information on the school and visited three times including once for an interview. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:56 pm

JonnyBart wrote:
Got the same exact thing and feel the same way.

I went to the open house. The thing about Quinnipiac is that it has nice facilities, is located in a beautiful area and is close enough to New Haven/the MetroNorth if you're looking to whet your appetite for the bar/city scene. The party scene is amazing from what I've heard (I'm from CT and know the undergrad pretty well by reputation and word-of-mouth). The people who were there were extremely friendly, receptive and I could completely see myself being totally happy there, especially at dirt cheap tuition rates. There is a big caveat, however, and that is employment. I spoke with one of their top students at the open house and he hasn't even gotten a call back from the larger, CT firms like mine and that scares me considering that people keep saying that if you stay in CT, Quinnipiac law will be more than fine. There is no doubt in my mind that they train good lawyers there (I know a bunch of grads from there that are making good money at my firm and are good lawyers), but it seems that the small alumni network (it's only been open since like 1996 I think) combined with its misrepresented ranking as a TTT (I think it's easily better than many TT's) makes it a tough sell. It seems to me that if you're looking at going outside of CT, looking at BigLaw or at least at the more cushy law jobs at mid to large firms, then Quinni is not the place to go to unless you really feel you can be top 5 in the class, and even then it seems to be a struggle. However, if you like CT and more specifically southern CT, and don't mind not getting a $100K+ job right off the bat or you want to work in public-interest then Quinni is a fantastic place to go to.

Personally, I love Quinni. It seems like everyone I knew that went there was very happy with their time there. However, I just wish it was not officially a TTT and also wish it had better prospects for employment at the larger firms, but I do know many of their grads that have done very well for themselves in CT. Just remember, though, if you go to Quinni, you will likely have to stay and work in CT.

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Ice, what's your opinion that they may be TT soon? I agree, TTT status really hurts for employment. However, after getting one of their nicer scholarship offers, and looking at the ranks, it seems by the time I graduate (starting as a 1L in the fall) they'll have just cracked the TT. (They've moved about 4-5 spots a year the past two years and are currently at 107)

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 am

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:Ice, what's your opinion that they may be TT soon? I agree, TTT status really hurts for employment. However, after getting one of their nicer scholarship offers, and looking at the ranks, it seems by the time I graduate (starting as a 1L in the fall) they'll have just cracked the TT. (They've moved about 4-5 spots a year the past two years and are currently at 107)
I think they could easily crack TT soon, but I don't really know when. There is no doubt that the law school will only get better and I rate it higher than Hofstra and the like and they are TT. Still, it is a CT/regional school that doesn't usually place graduates in BigLaw jobs, although their graduates do seem to find decent jobs. For instance, I worked at Subway's World HQ in Milford, CT for 3 months in the legal department and most of their attorneys went to Quinnipiac law. They made like ~$60k-~$75k there, but they had a really good lifestyle and benefits there at Subway. There are many places like that in the area where you wouldn't necessarily get paid six figures, but you could have a pretty relaxed in-house counsel job which sounds awesome if you've got almost no debt from student loans.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:42 am

Always good to hear. I actually just got my fin. package from Hofstra yesterday and even though they're comparable, feel QU is a MUCH better choice. Thanks for the input. I've never really been sure that Big Law was for me (I'd like a life) but a nice in-counsel job that still puts you squarely in the middle class for your starting salary sounds pretty tempting, especially with having primarily CoL to pay off in loans.

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

this is all good info about job prospects. thanks a lot guys.

any other info about possible jobs and living situations. i have visited there a million times to go out with my friends that are undergrad. the nightlife there is tight.

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Well I got waitlisted at UConn... so that $30k+/year scholly from Quinni is looking mighty fine. Do you guys and gals think that the 50% stip on the scholly at Quinnipiac is bad? I say this knowing that I risk people thinking I'm a douche, but I feel like if you're not top 50% there, then you shouldn't be in law school...

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm with you ice. My 30k is also contingent on top 50%. I'm not too worried about it. Honestly, it's the flip of a coin. It's certainly better than a lot of the schools that have the top 1/3 requirement. It's nice too, because even if you fall below the 50th percentile, you still remain part of the scholarship as long as you're in the top 75%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”