Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
broski

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby broski » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 pm

I did not get the email, but I applied on 1/17 so it might be for admitted students.

thegoodpart

Postby thegoodpart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:07 pm

broski wrote:I did not get the email, but I applied on 1/17 so it might be for admitted students.

Have you the received the email that confirms your app is complete? Since that was only 2 days ago they just may have not processed your app yet. I went complete 1/6 so its only been like 2 weeks which i doubt is enough time for reviewing since they review in Dec and I submitted pretty late. And no status checker yet which makes me feel like they are just slow.

broski

Postby broski » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:14 pm

thegoodpart wrote:
broski wrote:I did not get the email, but I applied on 1/17 so it might be for admitted students.

Have you the received the email that confirms your app is complete? Since that was only 2 days ago they just may have not processed your app yet. I went complete 1/6 so its only been like 2 weeks which i doubt is enough time for reviewing since they review in Dec and I submitted pretty late. And no status checker yet which makes me feel like they are just slow.

Yea, I received that email yesterday. Maybe I just didn't get put on the mailing list.

thegoodpart

Postby thegoodpart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Well i'm not going to put too much weight on this because i think 2 weeks for a decision seems rather quick and i can easily see them sending an email to the affect of "the previous email was sent in error" kind of thing.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm logically inclined to agree. Still, who wants to be the one to call? Just seems odd to me that they'd invite all applicants to their accepted students group and then run into the awkward situation of deferring, WLing, or rejecting some of them.

I'm hoping it means I'm in, but I also wish they'd send a a clarification email if it was a mistake.

FSULaw

Postby FSULaw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:41 pm

It was not a mistake. I just spoke to them and told me that everyone that received that email were admitted! So Congrats! :D

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Yep, admitted with scholarship consideration! That's nuts, I submitted my app on 1/9 and I was admitted on the 11th. I must have made a cutoff right before the admissions committee met.

thegoodpart

Postby thegoodpart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Yep, admitted with scholarship consideration! That's nuts, I submitted my app on 1/9 and I was admitted on the 11th. I must have made a cutoff right before the admissions committee met.

JUST got in today with scholly consideration as well! I submitted 1/6 and admitted on 1/11 too! This is my first decision from schools and i'm just so glad that it was good news!

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Has anyone gotten any scholarship information? I know they said they would send out offers "no later than March first," but I also heard that they were beginning sending them out mid to late January. I had my app in by the end of October, and I'm tired of waiting!

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:47 pm

I've had mine in since late October and haven't heard anything about scholarship either. The facebook group confirmed that they will be sent out no later than March 1st...hoping to hear a little sooner though.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Yeah, I asked that question ha :) I guess I was looking for a more definite answer. Definitely hoping for it earlier than March 1st. Although, if I get a good amount, I guess I won't care either way...

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:58 pm

haha sorry that I wasn't much help then! I was under the impression that they haven't sent anything out yet.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Me too. Good luck!

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:43 pm

So anybody know how distinct the common law division and civil law division are? I spoke to a current 1L yesterday and he said most classes are the same except contracts. I applied to the civil law division, but I imagine there are some significant distinctions.

Also where do most of the students live? I imagine there's a pretty good overlap in housing between Tulane and Loyola people in the area.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Not sure of the exact distinctions, but from what I understand, if you're planning to practice law in Louisiana, take the civil law division; if outside of Louisiana, take common law.

As far as housing goes, I would say that the majority of people live close to campus in apartments. You're right in thinking that there's a huge overlap in housing. In the Uptown area (around Tulane and Loyola), there are a ton of houses that have been turned into rental properties and most are rented out by students. I spent my undergrad at Tulane and rented a house within walking distance of the schools. If you have a car and don't mind commuting, you can probably find a nice, quieter place a little further from campus for the same amount you will pay for a frat-type house Uptown. It just depends on how close you want to be. I live in Lakeview (15 minutes away), and I love it. Like someone said on the FB group, I would avoid Riverlake properties. The company seems to be a bit of slumlord. Craigslist is probably the best place to look. Latter-blum.com has some rental properties listed too.

Proximo

Postby Proximo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

kmichlew wrote:Not sure of the exact distinctions, but from what I understand, if you're planning to practice law in Louisiana, take the civil law division; if outside of Louisiana, take common law.

As far as housing goes, I would say that the majority of people live close to campus in apartments. You're right in thinking that there's a huge overlap in housing. In the Uptown area (around Tulane and Loyola), there are a ton of houses that have been turned into rental properties and most are rented out by students. I spent my undergrad at Tulane and rented a house within walking distance of the schools. If you have a car and don't mind commuting, you can probably find a nice, quieter place a little further from campus for the same amount you will pay for a frat-type house Uptown. It just depends on how close you want to be. I live in Lakeview (15 minutes away), and I love it. Like someone said on the FB group, I would avoid Riverlake properties. The company seems to be a bit of slumlord. Craigslist is probably the best place to look. Latter-blum.com has some rental properties listed too.

In the event that I attend this fall I will be commuting from Metairie; can you tell me anything about the parking situation down there?

I heard that I will need to park away from campus and take the trolly. Know any good parking lots that are in close proximity to the trolly that students usually use?

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm

You definitely shouldn't need to park far enough to have to take the streetcar (ha - that's what the "trolley" is called down here). Most of the areas around the campuses are in residential zones with two hour parking, which is HEAVILY enforced. I got so many tickets for being parked for more than two hours, even if it was 10 minutes over two hours. There are signs for the two hour zones all over, so you'll definitely know if you're in one. Metermaids patrol it like crazy. There are places to park along St. Charles and Broadway (school is basically on the corner of these two streets) that aren't two hour zones. You may not find a place super close, but I'd say you shouldn't have to walk more than four blocks to get there. That's what I experienced around Tulane, anyway.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:48 pm

kmichlew wrote:You definitely shouldn't need to park far enough to have to take the streetcar (ha - that's what the "trolley" is called down here). Most of the areas around the campuses are in residential zones with two hour parking, which is HEAVILY enforced. I got so many tickets for being parked for more than two hours, even if it was 10 minutes over two hours. There are signs for the two hour zones all over, so you'll definitely know if you're in one. Metermaids patrol it like crazy. There are places to park along St. Charles and Broadway (school is basically on the corner of these two streets) that aren't two hour zones. You may not find a place super close, but I'd say you shouldn't have to walk more than four blocks to get there. That's what I experienced around Tulane, anyway.

That said, if I rent a small 1BR house in the area, I could keep my car there?

Proximo

Postby Proximo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:49 pm

kmichlew wrote:You definitely shouldn't need to park far enough to have to take the streetcar (ha - that's what the "trolley" is called down here). Most of the areas around the campuses are in residential zones with two hour parking, which is HEAVILY enforced. I got so many tickets for being parked for more than two hours, even if it was 10 minutes over two hours. There are signs for the two hour zones all over, so you'll definitely know if you're in one. Metermaids patrol it like crazy. There are places to park along St. Charles and Broadway (school is basically on the corner of these two streets) that aren't two hour zones. You may not find a place super close, but I'd say you shouldn't have to walk more than four blocks to get there. That's what I experienced around Tulane, anyway.

Haha yeah, that is what they're called! I'm from the Northshore so we don't have to worry about those things.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to take a day to tour the area and get familiar with it.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes, you could keep your car there. If your place doesn't have a driveway and it's within a 2-hour zone, you can bring your lease down to 1340 Poydras St. and apply for a residential parking permit, which will allow you to park for more than two hours in whichever zone your house/apartment is located. Here's the website with info:

http://www.nola.gov/RESIDENTS/Departmen ... g-Permits/

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:32 pm

kmichlew wrote:Yes, you could keep your car there. If your place doesn't have a driveway and it's within a 2-hour zone, you can bring your lease down to 1340 Poydras St. and apply for a residential parking permit, which will allow you to park for more than two hours in whichever zone your house/apartment is located. Here's the website with info:

http://www.nola.gov/RESIDENTS/Departmen ... g-Permits/

Good to know, thanks.

Still waiting on scholarship info and financial aid. I wish they'd hurry.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:49 am

You and me both.

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Just got a letter from Loyola in the mail...I was really hoping that it was scholarship info but it wasn't. Just a letter about why I should choose Loyola over my other schools. Kinda disappointing, I hope we hear about scholarships soon though.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 am

GeauxTigers7 wrote:Just got a letter from Loyola in the mail...I was really hoping that it was scholarship info but it wasn't. Just a letter about why I should choose Loyola over my other schools. Kinda disappointing, I hope we hear about scholarships soon though.

Uhh I was SO excited when I came home and saw I had a letter from them, KNEW it had to be a scholarship letter, and then...just disappointment. I'm sure everyone waiting for scholarship info felt the same way.

jmtyner11

Postby jmtyner11 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Just got in w/ scholarship consideration.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”