Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GeauxTigers7

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

kmichlew wrote:What's the official name of the scholarship LSU has been offering? I'm at work without my letter and trying to send an email...

The one that I got from LSU is the "The Faculty Scholarship" (1/4). Not sure if you got the same one or not.

kmichlew wrote:
GeauxTigers7 wrote:Anyone happen to find out what Loyola's stance is on negotiating scholarships?

They basically will have no idea how much money, if any, they'll have left to distribute until after seat deposits are due on April 1st.

I feel like a lot of people will be withdrawing from Loyola based on people's reactions thus far...so I guess it's just a waiting game until after April 1st. Probably gonna force me to put down a couple of deposits down at different schools.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:22 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:
kmichlew wrote:What's the official name of the scholarship LSU has been offering? I'm at work without my letter and trying to send an email...

The one that I got from LSU is the "The Faculty Scholarship" (1/4). Not sure if you got the same one or not.

kmichlew wrote:
GeauxTigers7 wrote:Anyone happen to find out what Loyola's stance is on negotiating scholarships?

They basically will have no idea how much money, if any, they'll have left to distribute until after seat deposits are due on April 1st.

I feel like a lot of people will be withdrawing from Loyola based on people's reactions thus far...so I guess it's just a waiting game until after April 1st. Probably gonna force me to put down a couple of deposits down at different schools.

I have a feeling that they aren't going to be able to make a lot of people happy with the money that's left over. I wonder if they would spread it around or focus on trying to keep the top tier of applicants happy. There are just too many people that need too much money...but who knows?

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Any new/good news for anyone?

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:37 pm

kmichlew wrote:Any new/good news for anyone?

Well, I've got good news of sorts for those of you set on Loyola. Loyola essentially solicited my withdrawal today, writing:

"we understand you have probably applied to and been accepted to other law schools. We appreciate the serious deliberations you have made since you received your acceptance. We also realize that some of you have completed those deliberations and have chosen to attend a law school other than Loyola New Orleans."

After looking at total COA and job prospects for an individual such as myself with absolutely no ties to Louisiana, I realized that Loyola (particularly given my scholarship offers, which was lower than I had hoped) was just not one of the schools that is making my next cut.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:07 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:

Well, I've got good news of sorts for those of you set on Loyola. Loyola essentially solicited my withdrawal today, writing:

"we understand you have probably applied to and been accepted to other law schools. We appreciate the serious deliberations you have made since you received your acceptance. We also realize that some of you have completed those deliberations and have chosen to attend a law school other than Loyola New Orleans."

After looking at total COA and job prospects for an individual such as myself with absolutely no ties to Louisiana, I realized that Loyola (particularly given my scholarship offers, which was lower than I had hoped) was just not one of the schools that is making my next cut.

I got the same email. Weird, considering it's probably going to be one of the two schools I deposit at.

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:16 pm

I am pretty sure that all accepted students got that email. They are just trying to get a better picture of the incoming class. Hopefully a bunch of people withdrew and they will re-evaluate the scholarships since not many people seemed to be pleased with the initial offers.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:56 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:I am pretty sure that all accepted students got that email. They are just trying to get a better picture of the incoming class. Hopefully a bunch of people withdrew and they will re-evaluate the scholarships since not many people seemed to be pleased with the initial offers.

Is there a polite way to express our dissatisfaction with their offer/request more? Some kind of LOCI? I didn't expect to have to negotiate with my numbers, but I feel like Loyola should've offered me more than Gonzaga, a higher ranked Jesuit school, did.

Charlindrea

Postby Charlindrea » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Anyone else just waiting for a decision? I applied on Jan 28th, and status checker just updated to "Initial review" on March 6th.

argentinaguy9885

Postby argentinaguy9885 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Withdrawing today. Best of luck to all of you!

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 am

Hey guys, it does not look like I will be able to attend either of the visiting days/open houses due to prior commitments/other school's visiting weekends. If anyone visits Loyola on Friday, could they let me know how it went and how they liked/disliked everything? I would really appreciate it.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:51 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
JerichoJohnny wrote:

I got the same email. Weird, considering it's probably going to be one of the two schools I deposit at.

Weird, I didn't get that email. Maybe because I already paid the deposit?

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am

kmichlew wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense. Are you pretty set on Loyola right now or are you putting seat deposits down at multiple schools?

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:52 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:
kmichlew wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense. Are you pretty set on Loyola right now or are you putting seat deposits down at multiple schools?

Depends on $$. It's between Loyola & LSU for me. What about you?

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

kmichlew wrote:

Same here. I am still waiting to hear back from Loyola admissions about upping my scholarship. At this point, I will most likely end up at LSU. I already put my seat deposit down there and might not put one down at Loyola if they don't significantly up my scholarship in the next week.

kmichlew

Postby kmichlew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:25 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:
kmichlew wrote:

Same here. I am still waiting to hear back from Loyola admissions about upping my scholarship. At this point, I will most likely end up at LSU. I already put my seat deposit down there and might not put one down at Loyola if they don't significantly up my scholarship in the next week.

Just got an email saying the scholarship committee voted to increase my scholarship by $5k to $35,000/year. No other seat deposits for me, I'll be attending Loyola.

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:28 pm

kmichlew wrote:
Just got an email saying the scholarship committee voted to increase my scholarship by $5k to $35,000/year. No other seat deposits for me, I'll be attending Loyola.

Congrats! Mine also got upped $5k, but to $25k....in all honesty, it's not enough. May see if they can bump it up more. Otherwise I'm staying in BR.

bama684

Postby bama684 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:
kmichlew wrote:

Congrats! Mine also got upped $5k, but to $25k....in all honesty, it's not enough. May see if they can bump it up more. Otherwise I'm staying in BR.

Can I ask who you all spoke with or emailed in regards to trying to negotiate your scholarships?

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 pm

bama684 wrote:Can I ask who you all spoke with or emailed in regards to trying to negotiate your scholarships?

K Michele Allison-Davis, Assistant Dean of Admissions, Financial Aid, and Diversity Affairs
maldavis@loyno.edu

Good Luck!

lsuarkansas86

Postby lsuarkansas86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Just had my loyola offer upped from 5k to 10k. I emailed them back thanking them and told them that I would need at least 30k to attend. Im already in at LSU and arkansas so I wont be attending unless they can make loyola a cheaper option.

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:58 pm

lsuarkansas86 wrote:Just had my loyola offer upped from 5k to 10k. I emailed them back thanking them and told them that I would need at least 30k to attend. Im already in at LSU and arkansas so I wont be attending unless they can make loyola a cheaper option.

I am about to send them a similar email. LSU gave me a scholarship, so I am going to need the 25k that they offered to turn into about 35k for it to make sense for me to pick Loyola over LSU. I guess we'll see what happens.

lsuarkansas86

Postby lsuarkansas86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:
lsuarkansas86 wrote:Just had my loyola offer upped from 5k to 10k. I emailed them back thanking them and told them that I would need at least 30k to attend. Im already in at LSU and arkansas so I wont be attending unless they can make loyola a cheaper option.

I am about to send them a similar email. LSU gave me a scholarship, so I am going to need the 25k that they offered to turn into about 35k for it to make sense for me to pick Loyola over LSU. I guess we'll see what happens.

Word. Yeah We seem to be in the same boat. Im expecting my scholarship letter from LSU to arrive in the mail tomorrow. That makes Loyola that much less likely of an option. Looks like we may be classmates at LSU in the fall.

Proximo

Postby Proximo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
GeauxTigers7 wrote:I am pretty sure that all accepted students got that email. They are just trying to get a better picture of the incoming class. Hopefully a bunch of people withdrew and they will re-evaluate the scholarships since not many people seemed to be pleased with the initial offers.

Is there a polite way to express our dissatisfaction with their offer/request more? Some kind of LOCI? I didn't expect to have to negotiate with my numbers, but I feel like Loyola should've offered me more than Gonzaga, a higher ranked Jesuit school, did.

Going by your forum name (2LT), do you have the GI Bill?

I ask because if you don't know, Loyola participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program so that could be a substantial amount for you.

For me, I didn't receive a normal scholarship but I did get offered the yellow ribbon. I think it pretty much covers all of the tuition costs if I understand correctly.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Proximo wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:

Going by your forum name (2LT), do you have the GI Bill?

I ask because if you don't know, Loyola participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program so that could be a substantial amount for you.

For me, I didn't receive a normal scholarship but I did get offered the yellow ribbon. I think it pretty much covers all of the tuition costs if I understand correctly.

I'm not eligible for Yellow Ribbon because I'm not a veteran, although I am in the military.

drmolly

Postby drmolly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am

In off of the waitlist!!

Proximo

Postby Proximo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:33 am

drmolly wrote:In off of the waitlist!!

Congrats!

Did anyone here go to the accepted student open house? How was it?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”