Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby 2LT_CPG » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:02 pm

$5,000 with a 2.7 stipulation. Less than I expected based on higher offers I got at comparable schools. Makes my decision a little tougher. I still would place Loyola towards the top of my list though. If they had given me $10,000 or more I'd have been tempted to call it.

bama684
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby bama684 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:29 pm

$10,000 a year.... was hoping for more. It seems like a lot of people are disappointed with their offers. Was anyone pleasantly surprised?

jeanster
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby jeanster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 pm

15 k a year scholarship for a 38 k school?

Just no way that is happening. I wish though. I wanted to like you Loyola. I did.

Decandler29
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby Decandler29 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Yeah I only got $5k a year... I got 95% and 50% from the other schools I applied to. Bye Loyola!

User avatar
caputlupinum
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby caputlupinum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Where does the 2.7 in comparison to median? 20k yr here

User avatar
caputlupinum
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby caputlupinum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Does Loyola negotiate?

User avatar
MrHaephestus
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby MrHaephestus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:29 am

kmichlew wrote:
MrHaephestus wrote:Got my email from the Dean and a hard copy letter about a month ago, and was accepted in mid-December.

I have been mulling over the scholarships though. It seems, according to LSN (and that's not a great sampling size I know), that Loyola tends to award large scholarships to URM and / or Non-Trad students, and then there seem to be some anomalies. For example, lower LSAT and median GPA candidates getting a fairly sizable chunk of change. So, as I began pouring over what limited data was available a sinking feeling came over me.

I looked up Loyola's COA which is estimated to be around $60,375. I went back and looked over the scholarship offers from Loyola and it struck me that, more often than not, median applicants got just enough scholarship money to bring the COA down to around $40,000. Interestingly, that $40K is almost the exact maximum amount one can borrow via the Stafford + GradPlus programs. The folks who get large offers were those who either blew the doors of Loyola's median stats, were URM / Non-Trad, or probably had some soft factors that were spectacular (cause the GPA and LSATs were not).

Maybe I am just working myself up for no reason, and I assure you folks that I am not trolling, or trying to be a downer, but has anybody else noticed this from LSN, or any other sources? Loyola is known for being a generous school with a very low median debt for its law grads, but what I've reviewed makes me nervous.

Thoughts anyone?


Yes, you should calm down and wait the maximum of two more days for your offer haha.


Yeah, I'm calm, and I answered my own question alright. LSN indicated Loyola would be stingy with the dinero and that's what they turned out to be.

Oh, and as for the no maximum on Grad (i.e Direct) Plus Loans, um, actually there is - > here's the link straight from the Federal Student Aid website. Enjoy!

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/ ... udents.jsp

5K per year with the 2.7. Ah, thank goodness for options like in-state tuition at Texas Tech (nice reception tonight by the way. Open bar and super friendly folks), and 50%+ scholarships elsewhere in much better legal markets. Hell, I'd come out ahead paying sticker price at STCL. Boo Loyola. Boo.

User avatar
caputlupinum
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby caputlupinum » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:52 am

MrHaephestus wrote:
kmichlew wrote:
MrHaephestus wrote:Got my email from the Dean and a hard copy letter about a month ago, and was accepted in mid-December.

I have been mulling over the scholarships though. It seems, according to LSN (and that's not a great sampling size I know), that Loyola tends to award large scholarships to URM and / or Non-Trad students, and then there seem to be some anomalies. For example, lower LSAT and median GPA candidates getting a fairly sizable chunk of change. So, as I began pouring over what limited data was available a sinking feeling came over me.

I looked up Loyola's COA which is estimated to be around $60,375. I went back and looked over the scholarship offers from Loyola and it struck me that, more often than not, median applicants got just enough scholarship money to bring the COA down to around $40,000. Interestingly, that $40K is almost the exact maximum amount one can borrow via the Stafford + GradPlus programs. The folks who get large offers were those who either blew the doors of Loyola's median stats, were URM / Non-Trad, or probably had some soft factors that were spectacular (cause the GPA and LSATs were not).

Maybe I am just working myself up for no reason, and I assure you folks that I am not trolling, or trying to be a downer, but has anybody else noticed this from LSN, or any other sources? Loyola is known for being a generous school with a very low median debt for its law grads, but what I've reviewed makes me nervous.

Thoughts anyone?


Yes, you should calm down and wait the maximum of two more days for your offer haha.


Yeah, I'm calm, and I answered my own question alright. LSN indicated Loyola would be stingy with the dinero and that's what they turned out to be.

Oh, and as for the no maximum on Grad (i.e Direct) Plus Loans, um, actually there is - > here's the link straight from the Federal Student Aid website. Enjoy!

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/ ... udents.jsp

5K per year with the 2.7. Ah, thank goodness for options like in-state tuition at Texas Tech (nice reception tonight by the way. Open bar and super friendly folks), and 50%+ scholarships elsewhere in much better legal markets. Hell, I'd come out ahead paying sticker price at STCL. Boo Loyola. Boo.


ummm did you read the site you placed there is no max to grad plus loans in the terms you were speaking of "Interestingly, that $40K is almost the exact maximum amount one can borrow via the Stafford + GradPlus programs." the site says, "The maximum PLUS Loan amount you can borrow is your cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial assistance you will receive," so as you were implying there is a $40k cap for stafford + grad plus loans is not a cap but simply the COA which is essentially the cap for all schools but can be raised if you for instance give the terms of your lease to the fin aid office....

User avatar
GeauxTigers7
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 am

caputlupinum wrote:Does Loyola negotiate?


I am wondering this as well.

User avatar
kmichlew
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby kmichlew » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 am

I think I'm going to try to call today and see if they're negotiable. I'm sure they're getting inundated with calls about scholarships.

User avatar
GeauxTigers7
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 am

Anyone else get the call from the assoc. dean last night congratulating you on the scholarship/seeing if you had any questions?

User avatar
GeauxTigers7
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:02 pm

kmichlew wrote:I think I'm going to try to call today and see if they're negotiable. I'm sure they're getting inundated with calls about scholarships.


Let us know what you find out, I can't see myself choosing Loyola over LSU when LSU is cheaper (Both before and after considering the scholarships each gave me). So it would be nice to know if Loyola is still in the running or if I should just renew my lease in BR and put down my deposit.

User avatar
kmichlew
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby kmichlew » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:
kmichlew wrote:I think I'm going to try to call today and see if they're negotiable. I'm sure they're getting inundated with calls about scholarships.


Let us know what you find out, I can't see myself choosing Loyola over LSU when LSU is cheaper (Both before and after considering the scholarships each gave me). So it would be nice to know if Loyola is still in the running or if I should just renew my lease in BR and put down my deposit.


What did LSU offer you?

User avatar
GeauxTigers7
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:36 pm

I got the Faculty Scholarship (1/4 tuition). It's not a huge scholarship. But considering that LSU is only 16k/yr to start with...

horsethief80
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby horsethief80 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Same as most other folks, $15,000 a year with the 2.7 stipulation. I'm kind of surprised, given the fact that numbers were well above both 75th percentiles, it's a third tier school, and based on what school officials said they expected I would receive. Based on what some others have said previously, I'm starting to get the "whole picture" of how Loyola operates.

User avatar
Bluewavesix
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:21 am

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby Bluewavesix » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 pm

I haven't gotten anything. Wth?

User avatar
Bluewavesix
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:21 am

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby Bluewavesix » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Under mailings, I have a blank with a mailing date of 2/29. Can anyone provide any insight to this?

User avatar
Bluewavesix
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:21 am

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby Bluewavesix » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Never mind, just got my offer. 18k with 2.5 GPA. That Makes it harder to choose for me. I still have not heard from STLC, LSU, or OU, but I'm not expecting much as far as scholarships from them. I apologize for the triple post.

6lehderjets
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 pm

caputlupinum wrote:Where does the 2.7 in comparison to median? 20k yr here



I'm curious about this as well, any TLS'er have insight on this?

User avatar
GeauxTigers7
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:50 pm

I actually asked a friend (2L at Loyola) this question yesterday. I was told that 58% of people in their class were above 2.7.

6lehderjets
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:04 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:I actually asked a friend (2L at Loyola) this question yesterday. I was told that 58% of people in their class were above 2.7.



That seems consistent with what I found on Loyno's website:


3.565 Top 10%
3.348 Top 20%
3.247 Top 25%
3.148 Top 33%
2.974 Top 50%


This is from the class of 2008, so I'm not sure how it has changed. But if 2.7 is top 58%, change probably has been marginal.

JerichoJohnny
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby JerichoJohnny » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 pm

That makes the stipulation somewhat more generous than I had imagined, but I'm afraid total COA will still be too high. I was hoping for half tuition or so. Congratulations to everyone on the offers though!

User avatar
GeauxTigers7
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

Anyone happen to find out what Loyola's stance is on negotiating scholarships?

User avatar
kmichlew
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby kmichlew » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:Anyone happen to find out what Loyola's stance is on negotiating scholarships?


They basically will have no idea how much money, if any, they'll have left to distribute until after seat deposits are due on April 1st.

User avatar
kmichlew
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Postby kmichlew » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

What's the official name of the scholarship LSU has been offering? I'm at work without my letter and trying to send an email...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Anon.y.mousse., Christinabruin, Hopefullawkid2015, jewls2230 and 20 guests