Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GeauxTigers7

Bronze

Re: Loyola Univeristy New Orleans c/o 2015 ('11-'12 applicants)

Post by GeauxTigers7 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Y'all just got that email today? I got that same email on Feb 9th...that's kind of strange. But I was also mad when I originally got it and realized it wasn't scholarship info...and that was over 2 weeks ago now, haha.

Decandler29

New

Post by Decandler29 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:29 pm

They seriously just sent me another email. This one is a message of "welcome" from the Dean. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bluewavesix

New

Post by Bluewavesix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Decandler29 wrote:They seriously just sent me another email. This one is a message of "welcome" from the Dean. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Just got that one too... Why are they doing this?!

GeauxTigers7

Bronze

Post by GeauxTigers7 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm

I'm not getting any emails from them today...not sure why some people are and some aren't...

kmichlew

New

Post by kmichlew » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:51 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:I'm not getting any emails from them today...not sure why some people are and some aren't...
I already got those emails/letters too. I'm assuming the people who are getting them now applied later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Decandler29

New

Post by Decandler29 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I applied in December and was accepted in early Jan...

kmichlew

New

Post by kmichlew » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I applied Oct 5th and was accepted in early December when they began reviewing apps. I'm sure they sent them in batches.

GeauxTigers7

Bronze

Post by GeauxTigers7 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:02 pm

kmichlew wrote:I applied Oct 5th and was accepted in early December when they began reviewing apps. I'm sure they sent them in batches.
Yeah I am within the same time frame as you. That is probably the case.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 pm

I also received the emails today, and thought it was the scholarship info at first. Also, received an email letting me know I would be getting a snail mail Message From the Dean which was waiting in the mailbox when I got home.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I got the email when I was in class today and saw the subject line. Had to wait a painful hour to see the contents before I realized it wasn't the offer. Oh well, it seems like they've committed to sending it out this week so I'm satisfied. Especially with the uptick in communication today.

MrHaephestus

New

Post by MrHaephestus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Got my email from the Dean and a hard copy letter about a month ago, and was accepted in mid-December.

I have been mulling over the scholarships though. It seems, according to LSN (and that's not a great sampling size I know), that Loyola tends to award large scholarships to URM and / or Non-Trad students, and then there seem to be some anomalies. For example, lower LSAT and median GPA candidates getting a fairly sizable chunk of change. So, as I began pouring over what limited data was available a sinking feeling came over me.

I looked up Loyola's COA which is estimated to be around $60,375. I went back and looked over the scholarship offers from Loyola and it struck me that, more often than not, median applicants got just enough scholarship money to bring the COA down to around $40,000. Interestingly, that $40K is almost the exact maximum amount one can borrow via the Stafford + GradPlus programs. The folks who get large offers were those who either blew the doors of Loyola's median stats, were URM / Non-Trad, or probably had some soft factors that were spectacular (cause the GPA and LSATs were not).

Maybe I am just working myself up for no reason, and I assure you folks that I am not trolling, or trying to be a downer, but has anybody else noticed this from LSN, or any other sources? Loyola is known for being a generous school with a very low median debt for its law grads, but what I've reviewed makes me nervous.

Thoughts anyone?

kmichlew

New

Post by kmichlew » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 am

MrHaephestus wrote:Got my email from the Dean and a hard copy letter about a month ago, and was accepted in mid-December.

I have been mulling over the scholarships though. It seems, according to LSN (and that's not a great sampling size I know), that Loyola tends to award large scholarships to URM and / or Non-Trad students, and then there seem to be some anomalies. For example, lower LSAT and median GPA candidates getting a fairly sizable chunk of change. So, as I began pouring over what limited data was available a sinking feeling came over me.

I looked up Loyola's COA which is estimated to be around $60,375. I went back and looked over the scholarship offers from Loyola and it struck me that, more often than not, median applicants got just enough scholarship money to bring the COA down to around $40,000. Interestingly, that $40K is almost the exact maximum amount one can borrow via the Stafford + GradPlus programs. The folks who get large offers were those who either blew the doors of Loyola's median stats, were URM / Non-Trad, or probably had some soft factors that were spectacular (cause the GPA and LSATs were not).

Maybe I am just working myself up for no reason, and I assure you folks that I am not trolling, or trying to be a downer, but has anybody else noticed this from LSN, or any other sources? Loyola is known for being a generous school with a very low median debt for its law grads, but what I've reviewed makes me nervous.

Thoughts anyone?
Yes, you should calm down and wait the maximum of two more days for your offer haha.

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:46 pm

MrHaephestus wrote:Got my email from the Dean and a hard copy letter about a month ago, and was accepted in mid-December.

Thoughts anyone?
You seem to have answered your own question - LSN's sample is small, and skews because its users are the most motivated and informed law school applicants. They seem pretty committed to the March 1st thing, so I wouldn't be shocked if we got scholarship offers this week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

caputlupinum

Bronze

Post by caputlupinum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Thoughts anyone?
Grad plus does not have a maximum.... Has anyone received scholarships yet?

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Status checker updated to scholarship letter mailed today under mailings.

GeauxTigers7

Bronze

Post by GeauxTigers7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 pm

bmili wrote:Status checker updated to scholarship letter mailed today under mailings.
+1

GeauxTigers7

Bronze

Post by GeauxTigers7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Just got an email with my scholarship. Dean's Scholarship - 20k/year with 2.7 stip. I'm probably going to need more than this to pull me away from LSU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OliveSnook

New

Post by OliveSnook » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 pm

GeauxTigers7 wrote:Just got an email with my scholarship. Dean's Scholarship - 20k/year with 2.7 stip. I'm probably going to need more than this to pull me away from LSU.

Got the email too, 25k/year with a 2.7 stip. I'll be withdrawing. Best of luck!

kmichlew

New

Post by kmichlew » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Got my offer. Check your emails.

Jwb0711

New

Post by Jwb0711 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Got a offer today. 15k a year 2.7 stip.

I had a good laugh.

Will be withdrawing. Too little, too late.

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Only 6k/year, not to sound pretentious but that's laughable. Will be withdrawing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kmichlew

New

Post by kmichlew » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:21 pm

My offer was $30,000/yr maintaining 2.7. I had a 3.51 From Tulane with an 163 LSAT. I was expecting a little more...

GeauxTigers7

Bronze

Post by GeauxTigers7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Doesn't sound like many people are extremely pleased with what they got so far...I am wondering if they spread the scholarships out too thin among the applicants since they waited so long to make the decisions.

argentinaguy9885

New

Post by argentinaguy9885 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Looks like no scholly for me. Withdrawing unless they can offer something!

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:21 pm

I only got $10,000. Same stip. Similarly ranked schools in the South have offered me 75% tuition in one case, full tuition in another. Neither is in New Orleans, however. Even so, that's probably not enough money to entice me when I'm still holding out hope for Ole Miss, LSU, and FSU, and also have already been accepted to Texas Tech which looks like it would allow me to have a much lower total COA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”