Creighton 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby LWOP » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:51 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Acceptance packet came today. Had a nice personalized and handwritten note from an adcomm member. No scholarship offer though. So barring some good financial aid, I don't think Creighton's for me.

Congrats, I am looking hard at GU Law. My step son is in Boise. So after LS we are going there. I would like to think Scholarship money from Creighton but like you with out it... its prob off the list

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:14 pm

LWOP wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:Acceptance packet came today. Had a nice personalized and handwritten note from an adcomm member. No scholarship offer though. So barring some good financial aid, I don't think Creighton's for me.

Congrats, I am looking hard at GU Law. My step son is in Boise. So after LS we are going there. I would like to think Scholarship money from Creighton but like you with out it... its prob off the list

Yeah I'm probably going to Loyola New Orleans. Good luck though.

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby YankeeFan2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:45 pm

.
Last edited by YankeeFan2 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby LWOP » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:42 pm

I got a letter emailed to me saying they were not denying me, but putting my packet on hold until April to re-review...

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:18 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:This has been pretty quiet here for a while. Any new admits or any one set on going to Creighton?


I first read this as "Anyone going to admit thet they're going to Creighton?" As a UNL student, that struck me as pretty funny. Seriously though, as a recent transplant to Omaha, I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

For example - Yes the commute to Lincoln sucks just about as much as you would think it does.

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby LWOP » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:10 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:This has been pretty quiet here for a while. Any new admits or any one set on going to Creighton?


I first read this as "Anyone going to admit thet they're going to Creighton?" As a UNL student, that struck me as pretty funny. Seriously though, as a recent transplant to Omaha, I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

For example - Yes the commute to Lincoln sucks just about as much as you would think it does.

way to be an ass... some of us actually sought out Jesuit schools... thanks for your input

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby YankeeFan2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 pm

.
Last edited by YankeeFan2 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby LWOP » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Of course not Yankee fan.... i quoted the recipient... its been a long cycle

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:47 pm

LWOP wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:This has been pretty quiet here for a while. Any new admits or any one set on going to Creighton?


I first read this as "Anyone going to admit thet they're going to Creighton?" As a UNL student, that struck me as pretty funny. Seriously though, as a recent transplant to Omaha, I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

For example - Yes the commute to Lincoln sucks just about as much as you would think it does.

way to be an ass... some of us actually sought out Jesuit schools... thanks for your input


If I were going to be an ass, I would have said "Some of us sought out law schools that aren't in the third tier." But I didn't. Anyhow, still open to taking questions about Omaha.

ineptimusprime
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Haha... this thread has sure gone a different direction than its initial purpose..

Anyways, I've withdrawn from Creighton. The stipulations on my scholarship were just a little too ridiculous for my liking (top 40%). I really enjoyed my visit to the school though. The people there are great.

And Doc, I sort of agree with the Creighton guy. Someone who attends a school in a 12-way tie for 84th is really in no position to rail on those considering attending 3rd tier schools. Nebraska has also been featured on many of the TTT law blogs for having disappointing employment numbers for being the highest ranked school in its state.

I'm actually really torn between Nebraska and Texas Tech. I just feel like the distinction between the upper 3rd tiers and lower T2s is arbitrary and inconsequential. Now if we're comparing a T30 with a 3rd tier that's a different story.

User avatar
LWOP
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby LWOP » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Haha... this thread has sure gone a different direction than its initial purpose..

Anyways, I've withdrawn from Creighton. The stipulations on my scholarship were just a little too ridiculous for my liking (top 40%). I really enjoyed my visit to the school though. The people there are great.

And Doc, I sort of agree with the Creighton guy. Someone who attends a school in a 12-way tie for 84th is really in no position to rail on those considering attending 3rd tier schools. Nebraska has also been featured on many of the TTT law blogs for having disappointing employment numbers for being the highest ranked school in its state.

I'm actually really torn between Nebraska and Texas Tech. I just feel like the distinction between the upper 3rd tiers and lower T2s is arbitrary and inconsequential. Now if we're comparing a T30 with a 3rd tier that's a different story.

good luck 'Prime..

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby xChiTowNx » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Acceptance today with half-ride scholarship!

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby YankeeFan2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 pm

.
Last edited by YankeeFan2 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby xChiTowNx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:19 am

bump. anyone considering creighton?

thankfully they have their april 15th seat deposit due date which gives me some extra time to figure out my plans. i got the email explaining what omaha is like - anyone else get it? just wanted to know if its a sign that i should try to negotiate fin. aid.

Boquita
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby Boquita » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I've been admitted into Creighton and seriously considering attending. My wife and I went to a dinner with a couple of graduates of Creighton law. They did a good job of talking the school up.

dbrown89
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby dbrown89 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 pm

In at Creighton today via status checker. I hope I received some scholly money.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby xChiTowNx » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 am

Congrats man.

Your aid letter should be in your packet. I was pretty surprised that I got some considering my numbers and that I was WL at Valpo a few weeks ago

User avatar
brittanythai
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:59 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby brittanythai » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Yep. Half tuition scholarship + other smaller scholarships. Low numbers: 2.9/156...is this law school legit?

I think my decision comes down to:
Creighton +$$$ vs Hofstra (no $$)? any opinions?

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby xChiTowNx » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:59 am

brittanythai wrote:Yep. Half tuition scholarship + other smaller scholarships. Low numbers: 2.9/156...is this law school legit?

I think my decision comes down to:
Creighton +$$$ vs Hofstra (no $$)? any opinions?


I think you need to consider whether the scholarships outweigh the fact that going to Creighton means you are likely gonna be stuck in Omaha for awhile / how much do you like the midwest?

Hofstra is ranked 89 whereas Creighton is 137. plus, are you going to be able to handle the winters in Omaha?

dbrown89
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby dbrown89 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Got my scholarship info from Creighton. Half tuition scholarship. I am from Lincoln, NE and I really wanted to move out of state but I don't know now. I know this school is very regional and I am wanting to eventually practice out west.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby xChiTowNx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:01 pm

dbrown89 wrote:Got my scholarship info from Creighton. Half tuition scholarship. I am from Lincoln, NE and I really wanted to move out of state but I don't know now. I know this school is very regional and I am wanting to eventually practice out west.


Sweet deal. Seems like we have three on the board with half-schollys - are they just throwing money at ppl >75% LSAT?

also, what stips did they give you? mine said good standing, which in their handbook says 2.0 gpa and no academic dishonesty etc.

what schools out west did you apply to?

dbrown89
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby dbrown89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:
dbrown89 wrote:Got my scholarship info from Creighton. Half tuition scholarship. I am from Lincoln, NE and I really wanted to move out of state but I don't know now. I know this school is very regional and I am wanting to eventually practice out west.


Sweet deal. Seems like we have three on the board with half-schollys - are they just throwing money at ppl >75% LSAT?

also, what stips did they give you? mine said good standing, which in their handbook says 2.0 gpa and no academic dishonesty etc.

what schools out west did you apply to?


I'm not sure how they are throwing the money out. My LSAT wasn't >75% though.

My letter included stips from the academic handbook as well. I want to speak with someone in admissions though to make sure those are the only stips.

I've applied to Loyola, Southwestern and Chapman.

Are you seriously considering Creighton?

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby YankeeFan2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 pm

dbrown89 wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:
dbrown89 wrote:Got my scholarship info from Creighton. Half tuition scholarship. I am from Lincoln, NE and I really wanted to move out of state but I don't know now. I know this school is very regional and I am wanting to eventually practice out west.


Sweet deal. Seems like we have three on the board with half-schollys - are they just throwing money at ppl >75% LSAT?

also, what stips did they give you? mine said good standing, which in their handbook says 2.0 gpa and no academic dishonesty etc.

what schools out west did you apply to?


I'm not sure how they are throwing the money out. My LSAT wasn't >75% though.

My letter included stips from the academic handbook as well. I want to speak with someone in admissions though to make sure those are the only stips.

I've applied to Loyola, Southwestern and Chapman.

Are you seriously considering Creighton?


My scholarship is $20K/year with the following stips: top 40%, "participate in two co-curricular activities of high academic worth during your second and third years of law school", complete renewal form each year. (The $20K/year is renewable each year.) I did speak with admissions and found them to be very helpful -- so if you have any questions, I would suggest calling them.

For a while I was seriously considering Creighton but now looks like I am going to withdraw. Nothing against Creighton -- just feel like I have better options. Good luck to all of you.

ryanw5520
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby ryanw5520 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:54 am

Creighton 2L here,

Although the ranking isn't the best, nothing matters after 75th except the local market and regional prestige. For OCI we had about 28 students competing for 16 positions with large firms (paying 1200-1500 a week, which is extravagant for the cost of living here, about 14 of those were giving to Creighton students. Unfortunately I didn't get one but I did get a paying public interest gig so
I won't complain. If your interested I suggest you get a feel for Omaha, which is an awesome city with a good culture, to each his own though. The majority of students plan on leaving to work in their home regions which leaves the job market readily available for those wiling to commit to the location. Disclaimer: I'm from Omaha and have friends from both CU Law and NU Law and the Nebraska kids get the shaft (it doesn't make sense to me either), a lot of them tend to go work out west in little prairie towns where there is an exceptionally high demand as long as you can tolerate close minded über right wingers. Look through Martindale Hubble listings of Omaha firms and pick out the largest ones, then go to the firms websites and look through the attorney profiles and look at how many come from Creighton, it's absurd. I could go into more detail but I'm doing this on an iPhone and it's getting old, apologies for the typos.

wiglaf1228
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:05 am

Re: Creighton 2012

Postby wiglaf1228 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:15 am

brittanythai wrote:Yep. Half tuition scholarship + other smaller scholarships. Low numbers: 2.9/156...is this law school legit?

I think my decision comes down to:
Creighton +$$$ vs Hofstra (no $$)? any opinions?


If you have to ask that question, do you really want to attend? It's one of the worst law schools in the country.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: admitmels180, finaciardi, Google Adsense [Bot], Nickel94 and 9 guests