CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
suits00

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby suits00 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 am

Anyone know whether or not the admissions office is closed today?

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 pm

My hate on corporate law is a general one. I'm sure there are few exception to the rules that allows it for a certain individual to pursue that career path with justification. But some of these corporations...man I don't know. Granted my hate is unfair but to me, it seems like some of these corporate lawyers sold their souls to the devil just for the big paycheck.

I want to be a criminal defender (or perhaps immigration lawyer). But this stigma against prosecutors..it's nonsense. If there's going to be a stigma against prosecutors, it should be the same for defenders. And I thought I was pretty progressive. Have to see for myself how the student body is like once I get admitted.
Last edited by fatpeopleavenger on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 pm

suits00 wrote:Anyone know whether or not the admissions office is closed today?

it's a public school so I'm guessing probably closed.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Question...how are the girls looking at CUNY? (serious question)

:D

WVUUG2012

Postby WVUUG2012 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 pm

my school is up and running today. optimistic that other schools have adcomms working. pissed i have to go to class though

suits00

Postby suits00 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:Question...how are the girls looking at CUNY? (serious question)

Your question is answered around 45 seconds into this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7K0Ltk ... re=related

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

suits00 wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:Question...how are the girls looking at CUNY? (serious question)

Well aware that law school chicks are not...hot in general. However, one can wish that a certain school is exception to the rule.

:mrgreen:

publicinterested

Postby publicinterested » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:45 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
suits00 wrote:

Well aware that law school chicks are not...hot in general. However, one can wish that a certain school is exception to the rule.

For real? You're "pretty progressive" and you're asking what women at your potential law school look like?

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 pm

publicinterested wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:
suits00 wrote:

For real? You're "pretty progressive" and you're asking what women at your potential law school look like?

oh relax. :roll:

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Maybe you should relax about people wanting to do corporate law! See, no one is perfectly PC. We should just accept each other for that. It's much better than ripping on everyone else because they aren't perfect.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 pm

scrowell wrote:Maybe you should relax about people wanting to do corporate law! See, no one is perfectly PC. We should just accept each other for that. It's much better than ripping on everyone else because they aren't perfect.

It's just my opinion of corporate law. I don't know why people are overly sensitive about what I said. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. I don't know why I should be lectured on for though, especially when that was 1 page ago. If you've had bad experience with your classmates, then that's unfortunate. No need to lecture a 0L about it.

the poster who is implying that i'm a hypocrite..how is asking if the female student body is attractive or not any means sexist? It was a silly question to ask I admit but I'm not basing my law school decision on that. It's not a serious matter. I don't think wanting to see a beautiful girl or two has anything to do with political stance.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
scrowell wrote:Maybe you should relax about people wanting to do corporate law! See, no one is perfectly PC. We should just accept each other for that. It's much better than ripping on everyone else because they aren't perfect.

It's just my opinion of corporate law. I don't know why people are overly sensitive about what I said. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. I don't know why I should be lectured on for though, especially when that was 1 page ago. If you've had bad experience with your classmates, then that's unfortunate. No need to lecture a 0L about it.

the poster who is implying that i'm a hypocrite..how is asking if the female student body is attractive or not any means sexist? It was a silly question to ask I admit but I'm not basing my law school decision on that.

It's not sexist at all; women judge men on their looks too.

The person who called you a hypocrite probably did because it's superficial to care about someone's looks, just as it's superficial to want to work purely for money.

I'm not judging you at all for that-i judge women on how they look too. I'm just saying we all have out superficialityies and ideological imperfections, so we shouldn't judge others too harshly for thinking a certain way. Example: saying you hate people that want to do corporate law for money, or saying you hate people that judge other people on the way they look.

And I'm really sorry if I'm coming off as a dick. I'm gonna PM you.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:03 pm

scrowell wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:

the poster who is implying that i'm a hypocrite..how is asking if the female student body is attractive or not any means sexist? It was a silly question to ask I admit but I'm not basing my law school decision on that.

It's not sexist at all; women judge men on their looks too.

The person who called you a hypocrite probably did because it's superficial to care about someone's looks, just as it's superficial to want to work purely for money.

I'm not judging you at all for that-i judge women on how they look too. I'm just saying we all have out superficialityies and ideological imperfections, so we shouldn't judge others too harshly for thinking a certain way. Example: saying you hate people that want to do corporate law for money, or saying you hate people that judge other people on the way they look.

And I'm really sorry if I'm coming off as a dick. I'm gonna PM you.

I don't think that's what that poster meant. Didn't seem like poster was implying anything about that but who knows.

Don't worry about it. I'm not exactly one who gets offended easily. I did voice my opinion rather hastily. I do apologize for that. I'll choose better words next time around.

law2015

Postby law2015 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Just wondering, why do you hate people who want to practice corporate law?

publicinterested

Postby publicinterested » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:

the poster who is implying that i'm a hypocrite..how is asking if the female student body is attractive or not any means sexist? It was a silly question to ask I admit but I'm not basing my law school decision on that. It's not a serious matter. I don't think wanting to see a beautiful girl or two has anything to do with political stance.

@scrowell: I'm not concerned with whether people are PC; I'm concerned with whether people are saying things that are offensive.

@fatpeopleavenger: I understand that asking about the attractiveness of "chicks" at a particular school may seem benign, but when you consider that we live in a society in which girls are taught that looks are basically their most important asset and women are constantly measured by how "hot" they are, that apparently benign question takes on new meaning. Of course, women sometimes judge men based on their looks too, but the context is different because men are the ones who primarily hold positions of power (i.e, CEOs, political positions, etc.) and their perceived worth is more often not based primarily on appearances. What I'm trying to say is that in a vacuum, your question would be benign, but because of systemic power imbalances and sexist double-standards, I find it offensive.

The reason I pointed out that you had said you were progressive is because I tend to make the (maybe erroneous) assumption that progressive people are "supposed" to be anti-racist, anti-classist, anti-sexist, etc.

Also, I'm absolutely not saying that it's bad or wrong or sexist to think that someone is hot or attractive or whatever. It's just bothersome when that aspect consistently supersedes other qualities.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 pm

publicinterested wrote:@fatpeopleavenger: I understand that asking about the attractiveness of "chicks" at a particular school may seem benign, but when you consider that we live in a society in which girls are taught that looks are basically their most important asset and women are constantly measured by how "hot" they are, that apparently benign question takes on new meaning. Of course, women sometimes judge men based on their looks too, but the context is different because men are the ones who primarily hold positions of power (i.e, CEOs, political positions, etc.) and their perceived worth is more often not based primarily on appearances. What I'm trying to say is that in a vacuum, your question would be benign, but because of systemic power imbalances and sexist double-standards, I find it offensive.

um ok...

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:14 am

publicinterested wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:

@scrowell: I'm not concerned with whether people are PC; I'm concerned with whether people are saying things that are offensive.

???

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am

Start a new thread if you want to continue this line of discussion, this is for talking about CUNY admissions.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:54 am

Speaking of that: I hope there'e some application movement today!

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 am

Still in review. Nuts. I'm leaving home for the next four months tomorrow morning, so if they try to reach me via snail mail, I'm going to find out later than they expect.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:44 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Still in review. Nuts. I'm leaving home for the next four months tomorrow morning, so if they try to reach me via snail mail, I'm going to find out later than they expect.

You should send them an email telling them of your situation.

Kess

Postby Kess » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Still in review. Nuts. I'm leaving home for the next four months tomorrow morning, so if they try to reach me via snail mail, I'm going to find out later than they expect.

I think you will find out via status checker and mail at the same time. This happened to me, but I never got an email though.

wontpanic

Postby wontpanic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 pm

weird... my status checker has said "your application is in review" since 2/8 but the status date changed to 2/22/12.
AND... under the Mailings heading it says Decision letter mailed on 2/24/12 (which is tomorrow).
I'm guessing waitlist but hoping for acceptance.... meh

Kess

Postby Kess » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

wontpanic wrote:weird... my status checker has said "your application is in review" since 2/8 but the status date changed to 2/22/12.
AND... under the Mailings heading it says Decision letter mailed on 2/24/12 (which is tomorrow).
I'm guessing waitlist but hoping for acceptance.... meh

Same happened to me last week.... I was admitted.

poofyalpaca

Postby poofyalpaca » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:06 am

I've been stuck "in process" since 1/27... :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”