CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
overunderachiever
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby overunderachiever » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Kess wrote:Probably Cardozo... As tempting as CUNY's tuition is, I feel that Cardozo would be a better choice for me. Plus the law firm I work for now is really encouraging Cardozo and I think I would be breaking valuable ties by going into CUNY... especially since I am not 100% sure that PI is for me.


Congrats on Dozo!

overunderachiever
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby overunderachiever » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:21 pm

suits00 wrote:Someone like publicinterested seems to be highly qualified, yet PI oriented. It would behoove CUNY to retain this person to at least hopefully help with the BAR passage rate since they could lose their accreditation if the problem persists. And shouldn't qualifications matter? There are many people who want to save the world who can't even help themselves. We need qualified people.

I still love CUNY and I apologize for venting my frustrations.


LSAT and GPA aren't good predictors of law school performance, let alone bar exam performance. I feel your pain though...I applied in early Jan. last year, got my decision in late Feb. (which is considered fairly early for CUNY) and scholly information in March. Hope that helps!

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:24 pm

overunderachiever wrote:
suits00 wrote:Someone like publicinterested seems to be highly qualified, yet PI oriented. It would behoove CUNY to retain this person to at least hopefully help with the BAR passage rate since they could lose their accreditation if the problem persists. And shouldn't qualifications matter? There are many people who want to save the world who can't even help themselves. We need qualified people.

I still love CUNY and I apologize for venting my frustrations.


LSAT and GPA aren't good predictors of law school performance, let alone bar exam performance. I feel your pain though...I applied in early Jan. last year, got my decision in late Feb. (which is considered fairly early for CUNY) and scholly information in March. Hope that helps!

I think what suits might be referencing is the fact that the LSAT is supposed to be an indicator of one's ability to pass the bar, which is what CUNY is struggling with right now.
Last edited by kmokeefe on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
suits00
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby suits00 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 pm

overunderachiever wrote:
suits00 wrote:Someone like publicinterested seems to be highly qualified, yet PI oriented. It would behoove CUNY to retain this person to at least hopefully help with the BAR passage rate since they could lose their accreditation if the problem persists. And shouldn't qualifications matter? There are many people who want to save the world who can't even help themselves. We need qualified people.

I still love CUNY and I apologize for venting my frustrations.


LSAT and GPA aren't good predictors of law school performance, let alone bar exam performance. I feel your pain though...I applied in early Jan. last year, got my decision in late Feb. (which is considered fairly early for CUNY) and scholly information in March. Hope that helps!


Thanks for the info.
I've heard this before. Why do they put so much emphasis on these two factors during the admissions process then??

User avatar
scrowell
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby scrowell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:46 pm

To those with scholarships to other higher ranked schools (ex. Brooklyn, Cardozo, etc.):

At the end of the day, the main thing that CUNY offers is low debt. This is what allows students to pursue public interest careers. If you would have less debt attending other schools (especially schools that offer the same, if not more, opportunities. AKA higher ranked schools), why would you attend CUNY? I'm not trying to be flip. I honestly want to know why one might think it's a better choice than a higher ranked school (other than the obvious debt issue).

They're all ABA schools; you're going to learn the exact same thing at any school. In fact, CUNY forces you to "extern" at their own clinics, meaning there really isn't room to get externship credit at a position of your choosing outside the school. I did a little research on a few other school's externship policies, and they allow students to earn 6-10 credits for externships of their choosing. Just something to consider.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:46 pm

suits00 wrote:
overunderachiever wrote:
suits00 wrote:Someone like publicinterested seems to be highly qualified, yet PI oriented. It would behoove CUNY to retain this person to at least hopefully help with the BAR passage rate since they could lose their accreditation if the problem persists. And shouldn't qualifications matter? There are many people who want to save the world who can't even help themselves. We need qualified people.

I still love CUNY and I apologize for venting my frustrations.


LSAT and GPA aren't good predictors of law school performance, let alone bar exam performance. I feel your pain though...I applied in early Jan. last year, got my decision in late Feb. (which is considered fairly early for CUNY) and scholly information in March. Hope that helps!


Thanks for the info.
I've heard this before. Why do they put so much emphasis on these two factors during the admissions process then??


Because although the LSAT and GPA are not very good predictors of bar passage rate, they are the best indicators that currently exist.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:52 pm

scrowell wrote:To those with scholarships to other higher ranked schools (ex. Brooklyn, Cardozo, etc.):

At the end of the day, the main thing that CUNY offers is low debt. This is what allows students to pursue public interest careers. If you would have less debt attending other schools (especially schools that offer the same, if not more, opportunities. AKA higher ranked schools), why would you attend CUNY? I'm not trying to be flip. I honestly want to know why one might think it's a better choice than a higher ranked school (other than the obvious debt issue).

They're all ABA schools; you're going to learn the exact same thing at any school. In fact, CUNY forces you to "extern" at their own clinics, meaning there really isn't room to get externship credit at a position of your choosing outside the school. I did a little research on a few other school's externship policies, and they allow students to earn 6-10 credits for externships of their choosing. Just something to consider.


CUNY also has a lot more connections and influence in the public interest community than most other schools in NY. When getting a job after law school two major factors are the schools alumni network and the schools reputation. What people don't seem to understand is that although CUNY doesn't have a great reputation on ATL or NYPost, in the public interest community, CUNY has a great reputation. If you want to do public interest work, I would say CUNY over Cardozo in a heartbeat. If you aren't sure what you want to do, or want to keep your options over, I would say Cardozo over CUNY.

User avatar
fatpeopleavenger
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:06 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
scrowell wrote:To those with scholarships to other higher ranked schools (ex. Brooklyn, Cardozo, etc.):

At the end of the day, the main thing that CUNY offers is low debt. This is what allows students to pursue public interest careers. If you would have less debt attending other schools (especially schools that offer the same, if not more, opportunities. AKA higher ranked schools), why would you attend CUNY? I'm not trying to be flip. I honestly want to know why one might think it's a better choice than a higher ranked school (other than the obvious debt issue).

They're all ABA schools; you're going to learn the exact same thing at any school. In fact, CUNY forces you to "extern" at their own clinics, meaning there really isn't room to get externship credit at a position of your choosing outside the school. I did a little research on a few other school's externship policies, and they allow students to earn 6-10 credits for externships of their choosing. Just something to consider.


CUNY also has a lot more connections and influence in the public interest community than most other schools in NY. When getting a job after law school two major factors are the schools alumni network and the schools reputation. What people don't seem to understand is that although CUNY doesn't have a great reputation on ATL or NYPost, in the public interest community, CUNY has a great reputation. If you want to do public interest work, I would say CUNY over Cardozo in a heartbeat. If you aren't sure what you want to do, or want to keep your options over, I would say Cardozo over CUNY.


Hopefully this is true.

publicinterested
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby publicinterested » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:06 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
publicinterested wrote:
I'm wondering if any admitted students (other than cjb0502) have heard back from CUNY regarding fellowships or scholarships.

I honestly thought I would be considered for the fellowship because I'm at almost 75%tile for LSAT and over 75%tile for GPA, and accepted on the first day that they sent out decisions. But I haven't gotten anything yet except a letter on how to finance my education. I'm a little disappointed, I didn't expect anything but I thought maybe I'd have a small chance.

I haven't heard anyone else say that they got invited to interview for the fellowship aside from that one person, so I'd be interested in knowing if they're through deciding for that or not.


I definitely would have expected that you'd be asked to interview based on your LSAT and GPA. I guess there's still the possibility that they're just taking their time...when I called earlier this week they said they hadn't selected all the candidates for fellowships/scholarships. *fingers crossed*

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 pm

publicinterested wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:
publicinterested wrote:
I'm wondering if any admitted students (other than cjb0502) have heard back from CUNY regarding fellowships or scholarships.

I honestly thought I would be considered for the fellowship because I'm at almost 75%tile for LSAT and over 75%tile for GPA, and accepted on the first day that they sent out decisions. But I haven't gotten anything yet except a letter on how to finance my education. I'm a little disappointed, I didn't expect anything but I thought maybe I'd have a small chance.

I haven't heard anyone else say that they got invited to interview for the fellowship aside from that one person, so I'd be interested in knowing if they're through deciding for that or not.


I definitely would have expected that you'd be asked to interview based on your LSAT and GPA. I guess there's still the possibility that they're just taking their time...when I called earlier this week they said they hadn't selected all the candidates for fellowships/scholarships. *fingers crossed*

Ahhh excellent to know! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us!

And thanks for calling, I always want to call and ask different schools questions but I don't want to annoy them since I know they're busy this time of year.

publicinterested
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby publicinterested » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 pm

overunderachiever wrote:LSAT and GPA aren't good predictors of law school performance, let alone bar exam performance. I feel your pain though...I applied in early Jan. last year, got my decision in late Feb. (which is considered fairly early for CUNY) and scholly information in March. Hope that helps!


That's definitely good to know!

publicinterested
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby publicinterested » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
scrowell wrote:To those with scholarships to other higher ranked schools (ex. Brooklyn, Cardozo, etc.):

At the end of the day, the main thing that CUNY offers is low debt. This is what allows students to pursue public interest careers. If you would have less debt attending other schools (especially schools that offer the same, if not more, opportunities. AKA higher ranked schools), why would you attend CUNY? I'm not trying to be flip. I honestly want to know why one might think it's a better choice than a higher ranked school (other than the obvious debt issue).

They're all ABA schools; you're going to learn the exact same thing at any school. In fact, CUNY forces you to "extern" at their own clinics, meaning there really isn't room to get externship credit at a position of your choosing outside the school. I did a little research on a few other school's externship policies, and they allow students to earn 6-10 credits for externships of their choosing. Just something to consider.


CUNY also has a lot more connections and influence in the public interest community than most other schools in NY. When getting a job after law school two major factors are the schools alumni network and the schools reputation. What people don't seem to understand is that although CUNY doesn't have a great reputation on ATL or NYPost, in the public interest community, CUNY has a great reputation. If you want to do public interest work, I would say CUNY over Cardozo in a heartbeat. If you aren't sure what you want to do, or want to keep your options over, I would say Cardozo over CUNY.


Exactly. I'm not concerned with which school has the best overall ranking; I want the school with the best public interest opportunities and best ranking public interest program, and I think that it's CUNY. Also, I'd like to be around other students who want to do similar for-the-good-of-the-people work as opposed to students who want to go into corporate law or tax law or something.

User avatar
fatpeopleavenger
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:06 am

People wanting to do corporate law seriously disgust me.

User avatar
suits00
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby suits00 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 am

fatpeopleavenger wrote:People wanting to do corporate law seriously disgust me.


It's all about the $$$$$$

User avatar
Kess
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby Kess » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:23 am

suits00 wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:People wanting to do corporate law seriously disgust me.


It's all about the $$$$$$


LOL that's a little harsh... I would love to do pro bono work on the side one day. I enjoy helping people and I volunteer quite a bit now. However, I visited both Cardozo and CUNY, and Cardozo just always seemed like a better fit.

Plus, as a person whose done and enjoyed doing work with copyrights and media, I would always kick myself a little by not giving Cardozo a chance.

I would have picked CUNY over NYLS and Hofstra though.

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:19 am

Kess wrote:In! And also in at Cardozo today. Cycle over. lol


Congrats Kess!

User avatar
scrowell
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby scrowell » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:13 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:People wanting to do corporate law seriously disgust me.


LOL, you'll fit in perfectly. CUNY is a place that breeds a hate and a cult-like disdain for anyone who isn't on the extreme left.

User avatar
fatpeopleavenger
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am

scrowell wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:People wanting to do corporate law seriously disgust me.


LOL, you'll fit in perfectly. CUNY is a place that breeds a hate and a cult-like disdain for anyone who isn't on the extreme left.


While I may be a progressive, there are plenty of smart conservatives/moderates. No need to dislike anyone of different political ideology. So I'm hoping this isn't too true. Because if it is, I guess I would be hated on for being anti-Che Guevara.

That being said, I still hate corporate lawyers or anyone trying to be one.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby kmokeefe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:31 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
scrowell wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:People wanting to do corporate law seriously disgust me.


LOL, you'll fit in perfectly. CUNY is a place that breeds a hate and a cult-like disdain for anyone who isn't on the extreme left.


While I may be a progressive, there are plenty of smart conservatives/moderates. No need to dislike anyone of different political ideology. So I'm hoping this isn't too true. Because if it is, I guess I would be hated on for being anti-Che Guevara.

That being said, I still hate corporate lawyers or anyone trying to be one.

That's a pretty judgmental statement to make without even knowing a person or their story. To each their own, why can't they do what they want, or what makes them happy, or what will pay off their student loan debt (if they have some) most efficiently? Not everyone has to want to save the world. Imagine if all those lawyers had decided to do PI instead, that would make your life a whole lot harder and would make the PI market even more competitive.

User avatar
scrowell
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby scrowell » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:
scrowell wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:People wanting to do corporate law seriously disgust me.


LOL, you'll fit in perfectly. CUNY is a place that breeds a hate and a cult-like disdain for anyone who isn't on the extreme left.


While I may be a progressive, there are plenty of smart conservatives/moderates. No need to dislike anyone of different political ideology. So I'm hoping this isn't too true. Because if it is, I guess I would be hated on for being anti-Che Guevara.

That being said, I still hate corporate lawyers or anyone trying to be one.

That's a pretty judgmental statement to make without even knowing a person or their story. To each their own, why can't they do what they want, or what makes them happy, or what will pay off their student loan debt (if they have some) most efficiently? Not everyone has to want to save the world. Imagine if all those lawyers had decided to do PI instead, that would make your life a whole lot harder and would make the PI market even more competitive.


THIS!!!! But hey, everyone at CUNY will judge you for that. Get used to it or go somewhere else. I'm still deciding which is the right choice for me...If I don't keep the fact that I have an internship in a DA's office on the DL, I'll be shunned. Literally the least diverse school I've ever attended.

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:00 am

Isn't working in a DA's office servicing the community?

User avatar
scrowell
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby scrowell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 am

NYC KID wrote:Isn't working in a DA's office servicing the community?


I think so, CUNY students don't though. A lot of people here are anti-police/punishment in general. There's a definite stigma against prosecutors because they fight for "the man". In a CUNY student's eyes, everyone who has done everything wrong (except for maybe rapists) shouldn't be punished because society is broken, and that has driven them to break the law. Easy to say until a you/a loved one has been a victim.

It's still society's fault that people rape too-a lot of students think that society has given males a pass to rape females. If you ask me, the only person that would even consider raping someone is so deranged that they are beyond the influence of society. Maybe these students are actually rapists at heart, and they're using society as an excuse for why they have such messed up thoughts.

Bottom line, the attitudes and beliefs of a lot of people there don't make any sense.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:44 am

scrowell wrote:
NYC KID wrote:Isn't working in a DA's office servicing the community?


I think so, CUNY students don't though. A lot of people here are anti-police/punishment in general. There's a definite stigma against prosecutors because they fight for "the man". In a CUNY student's eyes, everyone who has done everything wrong (except for maybe rapists) shouldn't be punished because society is broken, and that has driven them to break the law. Easy to say until a you/a loved one has been a victim.

It's still society's fault that people rape too-a lot of students think that society has given males a pass to rape females. If you ask me, the only person that would even consider raping someone is so deranged that they are beyond the influence of society. Maybe these students are actually rapists at heart, and they're using society as an excuse for why they have such messed up thoughts.

Bottom line, the attitudes and beliefs of a lot of people there don't make any sense.

Thanks for this post. I know one person's word doesn't mean everything, but if CUNY becomes a strong contender for me financially, I'm going to want to visit and get a good feel of the student body for myself. Because really, the number one reason I wanted to become a lawyer was to fight for those who have been hurt by others. I have a feeling my views on justice/punishment might be too conservative (or whatever you want to call it) for this school haha.

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:47 am

scrowell wrote:
NYC KID wrote:Isn't working in a DA's office servicing the community?


I think so, CUNY students don't though. A lot of people here are anti-police/punishment in general. There's a definite stigma against prosecutors because they fight for "the man". In a CUNY student's eyes, everyone who has done everything wrong (except for maybe rapists) shouldn't be punished because society is broken, and that has driven them to break the law. Easy to say until a you/a loved one has been a victim.

It's still society's fault that people rape too-a lot of students think that society has given males a pass to rape females. If you ask me, the only person that would even consider raping someone is so deranged that they are beyond the influence of society. Maybe these students are actually rapists at heart, and they're using society as an excuse for why they have such messed up thoughts.

Bottom line, the attitudes and beliefs of a lot of people there don't make any sense.


Wow. If this is the case I feel sorry for you man. I mean I'm on the moderate/liberal borderline, but this sounds just downright extremist.

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:02 am

NYC KID wrote:
scrowell wrote:
NYC KID wrote:Isn't working in a DA's office servicing the community?


I think so, CUNY students don't though. A lot of people here are anti-police/punishment in general. There's a definite stigma against prosecutors because they fight for "the man". In a CUNY student's eyes, everyone who has done everything wrong (except for maybe rapists) shouldn't be punished because society is broken, and that has driven them to break the law. Easy to say until a you/a loved one has been a victim.

It's still society's fault that people rape too-a lot of students think that society has given males a pass to rape females. If you ask me, the only person that would even consider raping someone is so deranged that they are beyond the influence of society. Maybe these students are actually rapists at heart, and they're using society as an excuse for why they have such messed up thoughts.

Bottom line, the attitudes and beliefs of a lot of people there don't make any sense.


Wow. If this is the case I feel sorry for you man. I mean I'm on the moderate/liberal borderline, but this sounds just downright extremist.

Likewise, what's the average student's view on soldiers? I'm a National Guard officer.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, bloomsday, Exabot [Bot] and 13 guests