CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
suits00

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby suits00 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:34 pm

NYC KID wrote:I've never done one. Any information would be much appreciated.

I sent you a PM.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm

NYC KID wrote:Just got rejected. Although, I had no intention of going I still thought I was going to be accepted. Had a 152/ 3.06 and felt my PS was PI oriented. :?: Best of luck to all.

I wonder if CUNY adcom reads this thread. Because it's possible they (or any other school for that matter) could reject you if you write "I'm not going to attend xxx school" on a popular internet law school forum.

NYC KID

Postby NYC KID » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
NYC KID wrote:Just got rejected. Although, I had no intention of going I still thought I was going to be accepted. Had a 152/ 3.06 and felt my PS was PI oriented. :?: Best of luck to all.

I wonder if CUNY adcom reads this thread. Because it's possible they (or any other school for that matter) could reject you if you write "I'm not going to attend xxx school" on a popular internet law school forum.

It's possible. Then I should take this opportunity to mention no hard feelings. :wink:

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Admissions committees DEFINITELY read the TLS forums and search their schools' names. I'd be shocked if someone from CUNY wasn't subscribed to this thread.

On the flip side, it could be useful in terms of scholarship negotiation if they see you're being drawn to another school and they want you.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:21 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:

Pretty sure they don't. That being said, you should always act as if they do...just in case.

ix88

Postby ix88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 pm

suits00 wrote:
ix88 wrote:I submitted my app to CUNY Law on Jan 25th and received the acceptance letter on Feb 11th.

157/3.41

Congratulations!
Did you notice if you received an e-mail telling you to check your online status checker?

Thanks. No, I only received notif via snail mail

Kess

Postby Kess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm

One of the notes on my cuny status checker now says:

Decision Letter 02/17/2012

Thoughts?

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Kess wrote:One of the notes on my cuny status checker now says:

Thoughts?

maybe waitlist?

ix88

Postby ix88 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Thoughts?

Maybe not accepted, I'm not sure.

The text I have on my status checker is "Congratulations, you have been admitted to CUNY School of Law! An admit letter has been mailed to your current address."

Kess

Postby Kess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I won't be devasted if not admitted, it's just odd because it still says I'm UR. Then decision letter sent 2/17 in the notes. Oh well.

tiymay

Postby tiymay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 pm

My status says in review, but under mailings it says decision letter mailed- I thought they sent all decisions through email/statuses though, and I haven't received anything. Has anyone else received this?

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Mine has been stuck on "Ready For Review" since 1/6. I'm close to emailing them.

ix88

Postby ix88 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm

tiymay wrote:My status says in review, but under mailings it says decision letter mailed- I thought they sent all decisions through email/statuses though, and I haven't received anything. Has anyone else received this?

I already received my snail mail decision letter but my status text says 'under review.' I think that is normal.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:21 pm

tiymay wrote:My status says in review, but under mailings it says decision letter mailed- I thought they sent all decisions through email/statuses though, and I haven't received anything. Has anyone else received this?

What a complete clusterf__k.

For a second I thought the admissions office was making decisions in a consistent manner: About 5 people who were recently admitted received an e-mail stating to check their status checker. When they checked their status checker, the decision was posted. The same process occured for one person that I know of who was rejected.

Then yesterday, ix88 said he/she did not receive an e-mail and their status checker was not updated and they just received a random letter in the mail one day. It looks like the same thing happened in your case.

I guess there is no ryhme or reason to their practices.
Last edited by suits00 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Mine has been stuck on "Ready For Review" since 1/6. I'm close to emailing them.

On 2/14, Kess posted: "So I emailed to briefly my express interest and ask if they have an approximate time frame during which I can expect a decison and they basically very nicely said that they have no idea... typical CUNY lol"

In other words, the admissions office said to f__k off.

Also, a 1L posted that he knows people (who were not on a waitlist) who were notified in April and even as late as JULY.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:31 pm

suits00 wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:Mine has been stuck on "Ready For Review" since 1/6. I'm close to emailing them.

I forgot who, but someone on the thread tried this and the admissions office basically told them to f__k off. Also, a 1L mentioned that it's not uncommon to be notified in APRIL or even J U L Y.

Call me crazy, but I feel like applicants should be shown some deference. We're paying to be considered for admission, and the implicit agreement is that they'll render some form of a decision in four to six weeks. Not only that, but they say the admissions office is open to inquiries. So if they rudely tell us to go away in this process, they need to be called out for it. CUNY's admissions office stands alone in its rudeness so far. When I emailed them asking if I could visit, I was brusquely told that I couldn't and referred to one of their info sessions that I explicitly told them in my initial message I couldn't attend. Then when I took up an informal visit request from Scrowel (a current 1L) and actually went to CUNY, I was handled rudely both by CUNY security and an admissions receptionist. Still, I liked the school on the visit, so it was worth it.

Seriously, a base level of polite communication would improve my view of them by leaps and bounds.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Thoughts?

There's no way to tell. It's now official that there is no pattern. Call me crazy, but it's almost as though they are purposely f___ing with us.
Last edited by suits00 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:38 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
suits00 wrote:

I forgot who, but someone on the thread tried this and the admissions office basically told them to f__k off. Also, a 1L mentioned that it's not uncommon to be notified in APRIL or even J U L Y.

Call me crazy, but I feel like applicants should be shown some deference. We're paying to be considered for admission, and the implicit agreement is that they'll render some form of a decision in four to six weeks. Not only that, but they say the admissions office is open to inquiries. So if they rudely tell us to go away in this process, they need to be called out for it. CUNY's admissions office stands alone in its rudeness so far. When I emailed them asking if I could visit, I was brusquely told that I couldn't and referred to one of their info sessions that I explicitly told them in my initial message I couldn't attend. Then when I took up an informal visit request from Scrowel (a current 1L) and actually went to CUNY, I was handled rudely both by CUNY security and an admissions receptionist. Still, I liked the school on the visit, so it was worth it.

Seriously, a base level of polite communication would improve my view of them by leaps and bounds.

I agree completely. With all the recent controversy, you’d think they’d be doing everything possible to increase their ranking. This includes admitting a decent caliber student and not pissing them off so they accept offers at higher ranking schools. The admissions department needs a complete overhaul.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:00 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
suits00 wrote:

That's seriously discouraging.

paradox

Postby paradox » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:22 pm

I understand that poster "NYCLSATTutor" is an employee, or spokesperson, or agent of CUNY so hopefully he/ she can shed some light on what is going on in the CUNY Admissions office.

My understating from Lawschoolnumbers.com is that apps are up at CUNY which may be slowing the process.

Good luck to all.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
suits00 wrote:

Wait, what? How is there an implicit agreement that they will render some form of decision within four to six weeks? I know multiple people who haven't heard from NYU/Michigan/Columbia/Berkely in months and months. In some cases since they applied in October or November.

That being said CUNY is a somewhat bare bones operation. Their tuition is so cheap they actually lose money on each student. Also having tried that at many schools, Columbia is pretty much one of the only schools (in my experience) that will treat you nicely if you aren't actually admitted.

Also, I hope you know that the school won't be in the building you visited (assuming you visited it in flushing) come May....

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 pm

paradox wrote:I understand that poster "NYCLSATTutor" is an employee, or spokesperson, or agent of CUNY so hopefully he/ she can shed some light on what is going on in the CUNY Admissions office.

My understating from Lawschoolnumbers.com is that apps are up at CUNY which may be slowing the process.

Good luck to all.

As I stated previously I am not affiliated with CUNY either unofficially or officially in any capacity.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:02 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:Wait, what? How is there an implicit agreement that they will render some form of decision within four to six weeks? I know multiple people who haven't heard from NYU/Michigan/Columbia/Berkely in months and months. In some cases since they applied in October or November.

While it's true that many schools don't notify applicants for an extended period of time, many schools such as Pace state the following on their status checkers: “The review process generally takes 6-8 weeks, therefore you can expect a decision within 6-8 weeks from the time you receive notification that your file is complete.” Several of the schools I applied to state very similar things on their status checkers. I think this causes overall confusion/high expectations. Also, keep in mind that many of us have already received decisions from many of our other choices, so when comparing those schools to CUNY, it can appear that CUNY is taking their time.

Thank you for mentioning the CUNY move. We've been pointing out many negatives, but that is certainly a huge positive.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 pm

suits00 wrote:
NYCLSATTutor wrote:Wait, what? How is there an implicit agreement that they will render some form of decision within four to six weeks? I know multiple people who haven't heard from NYU/Michigan/Columbia/Berkely in months and months. In some cases since they applied in October or November.

While it's true that many schools don't notify applicants for an extended period of time, many schools such as Pace state the following on their status checkers: “The review process generally takes 6-8 weeks, therefore you can expect a decision within 6-8 weeks from the time you receive notification that your file is complete.” Several of the schools I applied to state very similar things on their status checkers. I think this causes overall confusion/high expectations.

Thank you for mentioning the CUNY move. We've been pointing out many negatives, but that is certainly a huge positive.

Pace Tuition: $40,978

CUNY Tuition: $13,800

Look. I don't know CUNY's process for status checkers/how they inform applicants/anything like that. But the CUNY system in general is a bureaucratic hellhole. I wouldn't go there expecting to have a fabulous bureaucracy, they won't. But honestly if the choice between going to a PI focused school and a private school like Pace comes down to how long it takes them to get back to you, you probably shouldn't going to CUNY anyhow.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
suits00 wrote:

While it's true that many schools don't notify applicants for an extended period of time, many schools such as Pace state the following on their status checkers: “The review process generally takes 6-8 weeks, therefore you can expect a decision within 6-8 weeks from the time you receive notification that your file is complete.” Several of the schools I applied to state very similar things on their status checkers. I think this causes overall confusion/high expectations.

Pace Tuition: $40,978

CUNY Tuition: $13,800

Look. I don't know CUNY's process for status checkers/how they inform applicants/anything like that. But the CUNY system in general is a bureaucratic hellhole. I wouldn't go there expecting to have a fabulous bureaucracy, they won't. But honestly if the choice between going to a PI focused school and a private school like Pace comes down to how long it takes them to get back to you, you probably shouldn't going to CUNY anyhow.

This is true unfortunately, lol. I graduated from CUNY John Jay and can speak from experience.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”