CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apslaw1031

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Postby apslaw1031 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah, I wrote a personal statement specifically for them.
Who knows? Maybe they just didn't like my personal statement or something.
It happens.

paradox

Postby paradox » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Why would you believe that CUNY would be "more forgiving of [indiscretions] than perhaps other law schools"?

Guess what? To be admitted to practice law in New York State you must be approved by the Character & Fitness Committee (or like name).

It is possible that someone graduates law school, passes the bar exam but is denied admission to the New York Bar if they do not pass the Character & Fitness Committee.

Without passing judgment or providing comment on the facts of the above poster, CUNY has an obligation to not admit a student if it appears that the applicants record will disqualify him/ her form being admitted.

nyc33

Postby nyc33 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 pm

New to this thread, but a newly admitted student. Congrats to all who got in so far! Hopefully more will be joining us soon :-)

I had a Q if any of the new admits noticed this. I went on the admitted students page today to browse around and under tuition and fees it said this:

2012-2013 Full-Time rates per semester:

New York State Residents Non-Residents
Base Tuition $6,045 $10,045
Materials Fee ----------------$700---------------------
Technology Fee -----------------$100-----------------
Consolidated Fee -----------------$15------------------
Student Activity Fee -------------$40.85----------------
Total $6,900.85 $10,900.85

But in the 2011-2012 student budget pdf. it says that in-state tuition is $10,495 and out-of-state is $17,445.

Anyone notice this? I am hoping that they have reduced the already low tuition, but I am thinking it is prob a mistake?

Also, anyone know anything about the graduate fellows program? Do they pick the twelve students as they admit? Or does it come later when deposits are due?

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 am

nyc33 wrote:New to this thread, but a newly admitted student. Congrats to all who got in so far! Hopefully more will be joining us soon :-)

I had a Q if any of the new admits noticed this. I went on the admitted students page today to browse around and under tuition and fees it said this:

2012-2013 Full-Time rates per semester:

New York State Residents Non-Residents
Base Tuition $6,045 $10,045
Materials Fee ----------------$700---------------------
Technology Fee -----------------$100-----------------
Consolidated Fee -----------------$15------------------
Student Activity Fee -------------$40.85----------------
Total $6,900.85 $10,900.85

But in the 2011-2012 student budget pdf. it says that in-state tuition is $10,495 and out-of-state is $17,445.

Anyone notice this? I am hoping that they have reduced the already low tuition, but I am thinking it is prob a mistake?

They raised the tuition to 12K a year (for in-state) for the Fall 2012.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:24 am

paradox wrote:Why would you believe that CUNY would be "more forgiving of [indiscretions] than perhaps other law schools"?

Guess what? To be admitted to practice law in New York State you must be approved by the Character & Fitness Committee (or like name).

It is possible that someone graduates law school, passes the bar exam but is denied admission to the New York Bar if they do not pass the Character & Fitness Committee.

Without passing judgment or providing comment on the facts of the above poster, CUNY has an obligation to not admit a student if it appears that the applicants record will disqualify him/ her form being admitted.

Yes because no law student will ever get admitted to the bar if they had a past misdemeanor. :roll:

Paradox, if you're not an applicant or a current student, stop hijacking the thread. Thanks.

Esquire2Be

Postby Esquire2Be » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:32 am

paradox wrote:Why would you believe that CUNY would be "more forgiving of [indiscretions] than perhaps other law schools"?

Guess what? It is extremely hard to predict whether or not the Board will deny someone because they decide on a case-by-case basis and they factor many things into their decision. It’s possible for an applicant to make horrible decisions in his/her life (way worse than a DUI), yet prove that they are morally fit for practice by the time the Board reviews their case. For one (extreme) example of many cases out there, Google search “Bruce Reilly Tulane Law School”. He’s a 1L at Tulane who stabbed a professor to death years ago and served twelve years in prison. His acceptance to law school with a scholarship caused controversy, but the school defended him and his current character. For an example of someone committing felonies, serving a prison sentence, graduating law school, passing the bar, and becoming a successful NY attorney, research Roland Acevedo and learn about his story.
If you’re going to become an attorney, you will need to start backing your arguments by something more than a sarcastic/angry undertone.
Last edited by Esquire2Be on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire2Be

Postby Esquire2Be » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:34 am

fatpeopleavenger wrote:Maybe I'm generalizing but I would think a school like CUNY would be more forgiving of these things than perhaps other law schools. Did you meet their requirements for the personal statement?

I would completely understand if CUNY Law was more accepting of an applicant’s adverse past since it’s a fact that the school attracts the most liberal (open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values) students of any law school in the nation and the same is said about its’ administration and staff. It’s a very unique school with a very unique and compassionate mission.

You are obviously an educated law school applicant who has conducted much research, unlike some.

paradox

Postby paradox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:51 pm

1. Esquire2Be........ Not sure what point that you are attempting to make by pointing toward the Bruce Reilly example. If you are attempting to say that Mr. Reilly or anyone with a felony on their record is casually accepted by a law school then your are wrong. If you are attempting to say that Mr. Reilly or anyone else with a felony will have no problem being admitted to practice law in New York State then you are also wrong. Please let me know if Mr. Reilly gets admitted in New York State.

2. To All .... Below is a link to a recent news item that appeared on the site "Above the Law" which indicates that CUNY is attempting to convince some of its grads to forego taking the NY Bar exam and enroll in an unprecedented 7th full time semester to better prepare for the Bar exam. The positive spin would be that CUNY is attempting to help its students. The negative spin however is that with CUNY's "Dead F'ing.Last" NY Bar pass rate (just 67% being last among the 15 NY State law school; 29% behind the top school and a full 19% behind the NY State average of 86%) it has been unable to maintain the required 15% spread that the ABA requires to retain accreditation. [note: the ABA also allows schools to maintain their good standing as long as they’re not 15 percentage points below any other school in the same jurisdiction for three out of every five years.] The issue regarding CUNY retaining its ABA accreditation based upon Bar pass rate will likely lead CUNY to pay more attention to the academic records of applicants this year than in past admissions cycles and admit its strongest academic 1L class since the number of applications are up at CUNY as they are at the other NY State public - Buffalo.

LINK:
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/which-la ... is-summer/

Good luck to all.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:58 pm

don't feed the troll.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:16 pm

paradox wrote:1. Esquire2Be........ Not sure what point that you are attempting to make by pointing toward the Bruce Reilly example. If you are attempting to say that Mr. Reilly or anyone with a felony on their record is casually accepted by a law school then your are wrong. If you are attempting to say that Mr. Reilly or anyone else with a felony will have no problem being admitted to practice law in New York State then you are also wrong. Please let me know if Mr. Reilly gets admitted in New York State.

2. To All .... Below is a link to a recent news item that appeared on the site "Above the Law" which indicates that CUNY is attempting to convince some of its grads to forego taking the NY Bar exam and enroll in an unprecedented 7th full time semester to better prepare for the Bar exam. The positive spin would be that CUNY is attempting to help its students. The negative spin however is that with CUNY's "Dead F'ing.Last" NY Bar pass rate (just 67% being last among the 15 NY State law school; 29% behind the top school and a full 19% behind the NY State average of 86%) it has been unable to maintain the required 15% spread that the ABA requires to retain accreditation. [note: the ABA also allows schools to maintain their good standing as long as they’re not 15 percentage points below any other school in the same jurisdiction for three out of every five years.] The issue regarding CUNY retaining its ABA accreditation based upon Bar pass rate will likely lead CUNY to pay more attention to the academic records of applicants this year than in past admissions cycles and admit its strongest academic 1L class since the number of applications are up at CUNY as they are at the other NY State public - Buffalo.

LINK:

Good luck to all.

Read the comments on that link you posted and witness the absolute evisceration of nearly every one of the author's snide points.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:

Guess what? It is extremely hard to predict whether or not the Board will deny someone because they decide on a case-by-case basis and they factor many things into their decision. It’s possible for an applicant to make horrible decisions in his/her life (way worse than a DUI), yet prove that they are morally fit for practice by the time the Board reviews their case. For one (extreme) example of many cases out there, Google search “Bruce Reilly Tulane Law School”. He’s a 1L at Tulane who stabbed a professor to death years ago and served twelve years in prison. His acceptance to law school with a scholarship caused controversy, but the school defended him and his current character. For an example of someone committing felonies, serving a prison sentence, graduating law school, passing the bar, and becoming a successful NY attorney, research Roland Acevedo and learn about his story.
If you’re going to become an attorney, you will need to start backing your arguments by something more than a sarcastic/angry undertone.

It is very difficult for a law school to ask that question. But if the person can't pass C&F and the school does let them graduate, the state bar may well scold the school for admitting that person in the first place. So yes, schools do care about the C & F of the people they have admitted, and yes CUNY does as well.

Bruce Reilly also became a prison rights advocate and has done really good work since serving his time. His crime was over 10 years ago.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:02 pm

paradox wrote:1. Esquire2Be........ Not sure what point that you are attempting to make by pointing toward the Bruce Reilly example. If you are attempting to say that Mr. Reilly or anyone with a felony on their record is casually accepted by a law school then your are wrong. If you are attempting to say that Mr. Reilly or anyone else with a felony will have no problem being admitted to practice law in New York State then you are also wrong. Please let me know if Mr. Reilly gets admitted in New York State.

LINK:

Good luck to all.

*sigh*

It would be nice if you knew what you were talking about when you posted here.

1. They aren't "enrolling" anyone in a 7th semester. They are offering it for free.

2. The ABA rules have nothing to do with whether someone takes it in July or February.

3. Yes, CUNY is trying to raise its bar pass rates. By trying to better prepare its students for the bar. For free. Your problem with this is...what, exactly?

You seem to have a strange beef with CUNY. Care to explain what it is?

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:Maybe I'm generalizing but I would think a school like CUNY would be more forgiving of these things than perhaps other law schools. Did you meet their requirements for the personal statement?

I would completely understand if CUNY Law was more accepting of an applicant’s adverse past since it’s a fact that the school attracts the most liberal (open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values) students of any law school in the nation and the same is said about its’ administration and staff. It’s a very unique school with a very unique and compassionate mission.

You are obviously an educated law school applicant who has conducted much research, unlike some.

I highly doubt CUNY is going to be more accepting of an applicants past crimes than other law schools. Especially if its a crime like DUI, and especially not now when CUNY applications are up.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:36 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:

I highly doubt CUNY is going to be more accepting of an applicants past crimes than other law schools. Especially if its a crime like DUI, and especially not now when CUNY applications are up.

+1

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 am

--LinkRemoved--

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:52 pm

scrowell wrote:http://www.jdunderground.com/jdu/thread.php?threadId=23868

Not good. Clearly the administration knows they've screwed up and they want to fix the problem, but the student body reacting so negatively is worrisome. It's caused enough doubt for me that if I get into Rutgers, I'm withdrawing from CUNY. Still, I think the school has handled a bad bar year fairly well by addressing the problem openly and identifying the real causes instead of whitewashing it or blaming it all on a dumber than usual class.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
scrowell wrote:http://www.jdunderground.com/jdu/thread.php?threadId=23868

Not good. Clearly the administration knows they've screwed up and they want to fix the problem, but the student body reacting so negatively is worrisome. It's caused enough doubt for me that if I get into Rutgers, I'm withdrawing from CUNY. Still, I think the school has handled a bad bar year fairly well by addressing the problem openly and identifying the real causes instead of whitewashing it or blaming it all on a dumber than usual class.

Eh I don't think those are CUNY kids, those are either lawyers or people who are students at other schools. Generally trashing other peoples schools for all sorts of reasons is a bit of a sport on most forums/comment boards (See the commenters at ATL for example).

One particular factoid (and I am going from memory on this, so its unlikely to be 100% accurate, but its largely correct) about why last years bar pass rate was so low is because a number of CUNY grads from past years decided to take the bar for the first time last year. Every single one of them failed. This is a bit hard to blame on the school since they teach law school as if you will take the bar when you graduate....not 2-15 years later (yes...one of the people who failed graduated CUNY in the 1990's. It was his first time taking the bar, so he was included in the stats). Ten students out of a fairly small class has a HUGE impact on the "bar pass rate".

All of this press on this issue is ridiculous, by the way. NYLS has had this program for years, its called CCP.

paradox

Postby paradox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:52 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:One particular factoid (and I am going from memory on this, so its unlikely to be 100% accurate, but its largely correct) about why last years bar pass rate was so low is because a number of CUNY grads from past years decided to take the bar for the first time last year. Every single one of them failed. This is a bit hard to blame on the school since they teach law school as if you will take the bar when you graduate....not 2-15 years later

_______________________________________________________________________________x

NYCLSATTutor:

On February 4th I posted the link to CUNY's offer of a "free 7th semester" and you replied in a dismissive manner.

Although your reply today seems less dismissive, you have now offered the above statement as fact attempting to excuse CUNY's "Dead F-'ing Last" New York Bar pass rate - - just 67% being last among the 15 NY State law school; 29% behind the top school and a full 19% behind the NY State average of 86%. In your February 4th post you even denied the fact that ABA accreditation is threatened if CUNY's Bar pass rate stays below the NY average by 15%.

In you post today you offered as fact that CUNY's failure rate was skewed by individuals that had graduated from CUNY "2 - 15 years" earlier but had never taken the Bar exam before.

Please provide proof or a citation to substantiate the statement you offer as fact. Are you associated in any way with CUNY Law? a grad, student, employee?

Please understand that I favor CUNY and hope to receive an acceptance however I sense that you and a number of the individuals on this site hold CUNY to a lower standard of performance than should be expected.

Academic performance and public service are not mutually excludable. There is no reason why CUNY Law cannot admit competitive applicants and graduate students that pass the Bar exam and fulfill the goals of practicing public interest law. Perhaps you disagree.

In my opinion CUNY Law's offer of the free 7th semester can be construed in a positive manner but only if CUNY Law get its grading policy in order so that the 7th semester does not become a permeant part of its curriculum.

Please accept my opinion in the constructive manner it is intended.

From "ABA Law Journal Now"
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... hey_postp/

Kess

Postby Kess » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm

I don't mean to nag here, but this is supposed to be an on topic forum where people discuss A/D/WLs, not the overall sensibility of attending said school.

Anywho, I'm still stuck on 1/4. Not sure why as my GPA is above 75th and LSAT is at median, went to a CUNY for UG... Oh well. Anyone else in a similar boat?

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Kess wrote:I don't mean to nag here, but this is supposed to be an on topic forum where people discuss A/D/WLs, not the overall sensibility of attending said school.

Anywho, I'm still stuck on 1/4. Not sure why as my GPA is above 75th and LSAT is at median, went to a CUNY for UG... Oh well. Anyone else in a similar boat?

I'm only stuck because I'm taking the LSAT this Saturday.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:11 pm

paradox wrote:
NYCLSATTutor wrote:One particular factoid (and I am going from memory on this, so its unlikely to be 100% accurate, but its largely correct) about why last years bar pass rate was so low is because a number of CUNY grads from past years decided to take the bar for the first time last year. Every single one of them failed. This is a bit hard to blame on the school since they teach law school as if you will take the bar when you graduate....not 2-15 years later

_______________________________________________________________________________x

NYCLSATTutor:

On February 4th I posted the link to CUNY's offer of a "free 7th semester" and you replied in a dismissive manner.

Although your reply today seems less dismissive, you have now offered the above statement as fact attempting to excuse CUNY's "Dead F-'ing Last" New York Bar pass rate - - just 67% being last among the 15 NY State law school; 29% behind the top school and a full 19% behind the NY State average of 86%. In your February 4th post you even denied the fact that ABA accreditation is threatened if CUNY's Bar pass rate stays below the NY average by 15%.

In you post today you offered as fact that CUNY's failure rate was skewed by individuals that had graduated from CUNY "2 - 15 years" earlier but had never taken the Bar exam before.

Please provide proof or a citation to substantiate the statement you offer as fact. Are you associated in any way with CUNY Law? a grad, student, employee?

Please understand that I favor CUNY and hope to receive an acceptance however I sense that you and a number of the individuals on this site hold CUNY to a lower standard of performance than should be expected.

Academic performance and public service are not mutually excludable. There is no reason why CUNY Law cannot admit competitive applicants and graduate students that pass the Bar exam and fulfill the goals of practicing public interest law. Perhaps you disagree.

In my opinion CUNY Law's offer of the free 7th semester can be construed in a positive manner but only if CUNY Law get its grading policy in order so that the 7th semester does not become a permeant part of its curriculum.

Please accept my opinion in the constructive manner it is intended.

From "ABA Law Journal Now"
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... hey_postp/

My fact doesn't excuse its bar passage rate, but it is a partial explanation. Bar passage rates will change from year to year. Indeed the variation is much better explained by external factors considering as far as I know (and nobody else has posited this) that CUNY has changed much between 2009 and now.

Sorry but I can't cite a source. As far as I know this is not information released to the general public. So no, I am not the general public. But I am not affiliated with CUNY in any official capacity or unofficial capacity, nor did I attend school there.

I don't hold CUNY to a lower standard of performance. However as an educator myself and as someone who has fairly good knowledge of more than one NYC area law school (I went to NYU) I find it unconvincing that bar passage rates are intimately linked to the school. Instead I find it more convincing that such rates are linked to the capabilities that one has entering law school. As I've said previously I think that, for public interest in NYC, CUNY is possibly 2nd or 3rd best in NYC. Above Fordham, definitely St. Johns, and possibly Columbia.

Note that CUNY does not admit students only for their public service backgrounds and commitment to public service. Although that is part of it, the school also feels as if it owes a public service to the New York City community and to, itself, serve underserved populations. These individuals are less likely to pass the bar because of their prior educational backgrounds, but the school feels that it is important to give them a chance.

In the end you should, of course, go to a school that you are comfortable with. CUNY is a public service school with a public service mission. If you are passionate about that mission, its worth it. If you aren't, its not.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:04 pm

"It's a god-damn joke that the students who qualify for this are bitching rather than taking advantage of this program. I go to CUNY now, and let me tell you, the past week hasn't been pretty. I'm talking protests and flyers all over the school complaining about the "oppressive" tactics of the administration. Oppressive how? They're trying to help you pass the fucking bar exam. Get over yourself; if you have a low GPA, you probably need the extra help.

Everyone at this school claims to be all about helping the poor and saving the world as an attorney. Well guess what? You can't fucking "help others" unless you pass the bar. It has made me realize that half of my classmates are more about inflating their damaged egos than actually helping people. It's honestly the biggest group of hypocritical, "holier than thou" assholes I've ever met.

DO NOT go here if you have any desire to serve yourself as a lawyer or with your JD. Also don't go here if you even have sympathy for people with moderate or apathetic political views. Unless you're flamboyantly liberal you'll get run out of the building. I'd rather be at TTTTouro."

interesting.....

wontpanic

Postby wontpanic » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:55 pm

Here's something I found peculiar. I've been taking a lot of law school tours over the past couple of months and in every single one of them - except CUNY - I saw a bar prep company table set up, ready to sell students a course. The student guides even encouraged what a good deal they offer.
I asked the question at every school "do the majority of students take a private course or bar prep" and they all said yes.
Cuny, I couldn't find out because the students giving tours were only 1Ls. However, I highly doubt that they do... So is it about the education or is it about prep courses?
Interesting that Cuny now offers a semi-mandatory prep course in the 3 year...

Cuny is my 1 choice btw and I'm not mad at their strategy.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:26 pm

wontpanic wrote:Here's something I found peculiar. I've been taking a lot of law school tours over the past couple of months and in every single one of them - except CUNY - I saw a bar prep company table set up, ready to sell students a course. The student guides even encouraged what a good deal they offer.
I asked the question at every school "do the majority of students take a private course or bar prep" and they all said yes.
Cuny, I couldn't find out because the students giving tours were only 1Ls. However, I highly doubt that they do... So is it about the education or is it about prep courses?
Interesting that Cuny now offers a semi-mandatory prep course in the 3 year...

Cuny is my 1 choice btw and I'm not mad at their strategy.

We actually have those bar prep people visit us every tuesday. Pieper, barbri, kaplan, etc. And just out of curiosity, who gave you your tour of the school/what did he/she look like?

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 pm

"In you post today you offered as fact that CUNY's failure rate was skewed by individuals that had graduated from CUNY "2 - 15 years" earlier but had never taken the Bar exam before.

Please provide proof or a citation to substantiate the statement you offer as fact. Are you associated in any way with CUNY Law? a grad, student, employee?"

I'm a student in CUNY and I can tell you that this statement is true. We were told by administration that the bar passage rate is more like 73% which is still low.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”