CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2LT_CPG

Bronze

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Congrats! Is there a status after "Ready for review" but before a decision? Perhaps "in review"?

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:38 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Congrats! Is there a status after "Ready for review" but before a decision? Perhaps "in review"?
Yup! I went in to review right before Christmas, and then my status update for in review updated just recently again before being admitted.

ab616

New

Post by ab616 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Admitted today!

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Congrats to those admitted!

When did you guys submit and first go under review? How many updates since initial UR? Thanks!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Interesting. And now I'm feverishly checking the status checker today. Seems like they did a batch of applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ab616

New

Post by ab616 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Kess wrote:Congrats to those admitted!

When did you guys submit and first go under review? How many updates since initial UR? Thanks!
i submitted 12/27
updated 1/25
got an email today that said "For the most up to date information on your application status please be sure to use our online status checker at --LinkRemoved--.

i thought it was a rejection!

bney00

New

Post by bney00 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Accepted today! Good luck everyone!

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Congrats guys! Hope to join you guys soon!

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Kess wrote:Congrats to those admitted!

I submitted on 11/15 and I went in to review around December 20something-th I think? Following this my status date updated for a second time five days ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 pm

I see 4 acceptances, and 3 rejections on lsn for CUNY (and that 1 waitlisted but i'm starting to not believe that). Seems like CUNY gave decisions to a decent portion of the applicant pool. I am still in review because I'm taking the February LSAT, but at least I didn't get flat out rejected (yet).

To the admitted applicants...how high is CUNY on your list?

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 am

fatpeopleavenger wrote:I see 4 acceptances, and 3 rejections on lsn for CUNY (and that 1 waitlisted but i'm starting to not believe that). Seems like CUNY gave decisions to a decent portion of the applicant pool. I am still in review because I'm taking the February LSAT, but at least I didn't get flat out rejected (yet).

To the admitted applicants...how high is CUNY on your list?
Pretty much all the schools I applied to have equal weight for me, I think. The determining factor for me is going to be cost...I know CUNY is a great deal on tuition, but I don't want to risk taking out too many loans anywhere. The opportunity to go to law school in NYC would be killer, though.

JdanceComp

New

Post by JdanceComp » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 am

Admitted 1/30!!

I have a question and it was kind of answered before but i wanted to see if i could get specifics. Whats the schedule like for a 1st year law student here? I want to work part time during the week and the weekends. Does the school pick your schedule for the 1st semester?

Thanks !!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 am

JdanceComp wrote:Admitted 1/30!!

I have a question and it was kind of answered before but i wanted to see if i could get specifics. Whats the schedule like for a 1st year law student here? I want to work part time during the week and the weekends. Does the school pick your schedule for the 1st semester?

Thanks !!
It's the same as every law school 1L schedule: Civ Pro, Torts, Crim, Contracts, Legal Writing, and Property (I assume). The school picks your 1L sections for you though, so you won't know the specifics until we get way closer to August.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paradox

New

Post by paradox » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:34 pm

JdanceComp - -

Congratulations.

Do you mind telling what your numbers (gpa & LSAT) were? Also when was your application completed?

Thanks.

JdanceComp

New

Post by JdanceComp » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:02 pm

paradox wrote:JdanceComp - -

Congratulations.

Do you mind telling what your numbers (gpa & LSAT) were? Also when was your application completed?

Thanks.
GPA 3.0 LSAT 155. I sent in my application on 12/5

FutureJayDee

New

Post by FutureJayDee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks !!
Congratulations JdanceComp! Could you please tell me if you noticed whether or not your "Current Status Date" changed shortly before you received a decision? Also, did you receive an e-mail instructing you to check the online status checker after a decision was made?

P.S. I would plan on not working your first year of law school. Some schools follow the ABA policy on working while in law school which limits the amount of hours you may work, and some schools forbid you to work. Law school is nothing like undergrad inasmuch that law professors expect much more academically. Some current law students say that working is not even possible due to the heavy workload and mere nature of the content. If you have to work, then maybe a part-time program would work better for you.

Congratulations again!

JdanceComp

New

Post by JdanceComp » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 pm

FutureJayDee wrote:

Thanks !!
Congratulations JdanceComp! Could you please tell me if you noticed whether or not your "Current Status Date" changed shortly before you received a decision? Also, did you receive an e-mail instructing you to check the online status checker after a decision was made?

P.S. I would plan on not working your first year of law school. Some schools follow the ABA policy on working while in law school which limits the amount of hours you may work, and some schools forbid you to work. Law school is nothing like undergrad inasmuch that law professors expect much more academically. Some current law students say that working is not even possible due to the heavy workload and mere nature of the content. If you have to work, then maybe a part-time program would work better for you.

Congratulations again!
1. I did get an email telling me to check. I had not checked prior to that so I don't know if it changed. 2. Thanks I know I can work I'm a dance teacher so it's not like a regular job and my friend at Fordham law has told me that it won't be a problem. I was looking for information like if its possible at CUNY to have all morning classes or all afternoon classes since I have to schedule what classes I'm teaching in the fall. But thanks anyways! And good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FutureJayDee

New

Post by FutureJayDee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks so much for the info.! That's great that you'll be able to still work as a dance instructor. It's great you will be able to earn some money while doing something I'm sure you love. It will probably be a nice stress reliever from school too.
Thanks again!
JdanceComp wrote:
FutureJayDee wrote:

Thanks !!

Congratulations again!
1. I did get an email telling me to check. I had not checked prior to that so I don't know if it changed. 2. Thanks I know I can work I'm a dance teacher so it's not like a regular job and my friend at Fordham law has told me that it won't be a problem. I was looking for information like if its possible at CUNY to have all morning classes or all afternoon classes since I have to schedule what classes I'm teaching in the fall. But thanks anyways! And good luck!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 pm

JdanceComp wrote:GPA 3.0 LSAT 155. I sent in my application on 12/5
I sent mine in the next day, so if I don't hear tomorrow, I'm going to start getting anxious.

FutureJayDee

New

Post by FutureJayDee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
JdanceComp wrote:GPA 3.0 LSAT 155. I sent in my application on 12/5
I sent mine in the next day, so if I don't hear tomorrow, I'm going to start getting anxious.
-
Last edited by FutureJayDee on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

overunderachiever

Bronze

Post by overunderachiever » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 am

2LT_CPG wrote:

Thanks !!
It's the same as every law school 1L schedule: Civ Pro, Torts, Crim, Contracts, Legal Writing, and Property (I assume). The school picks your 1L sections for you though, so you won't know the specifics until we get way closer to August.
At CUNY you take Property in your 2nd year and Family Law in your 1st. Also, you take Lawyering Seminar (basically legal writing) and Legal Research (separate class) for all of your 1st year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

overunderachiever

Bronze

Post by overunderachiever » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 am

JdanceComp wrote:
FutureJayDee wrote:

Thanks !!

Congratulations again!
They give you a set schedule. Also, they don't suggest that you work while in school, but you can do up to 20 hours per week, as per ABA guidelines.

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm

LSN showing few more acceptances/rejections, though those decisions came on Monday. LSN showing far more applicants for each school, don't know what's going on.

Surprised by aplaws and this buckley accounts. Seemed like auto-acceptance with their numbers. CUNY adcom proves they are "holistic".

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:16 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:LSN showing few more acceptances/rejections, though those decisions came on Monday. LSN showing far more applicants for each school, don't know what's going on.

Surprised by aplaws and this buckley accounts. Seemed like auto-acceptance with their numbers. CUNY adcom proves they are "holistic".

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the ding too.
I did have a DUI less than a year ago, so perhaps that played a role in their decision.
Also, most of my transcript consists of classes transferred in from various universities I just took a few classes at.
I didn't decide to become a full-fledged degree candidate until I already had about 90 credits from 6 schools.
This might've had something to do with it too.

Obviously, I'm not quite sure why I was rejected, but it's okay. It wasn't meant to be, I suppose :)

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:55 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:LSN showing few more acceptances/rejections, though those decisions came on Monday. LSN showing far more applicants for each school, don't know what's going on.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the ding too.
I did have a DUI less than a year ago, so perhaps that played a role in their decision.
Also, most of my transcript consists of classes transferred in from various universities I just took a few classes at.
I didn't decide to become a full-fledged degree candidate until I already had about 90 credits from 6 schools.
This might've had something to do with it too.

Obviously, I'm not quite sure why I was rejected, but it's okay. It wasn't meant to be, I suppose :)
Maybe I'm generalizing but I would think a school like CUNY would be more forgiving of these things than perhaps other law schools. Did you meet their requirements for the personal statement?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”