UC Davis c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Decimal

Re: UC Davis c/o 2015

Postby Decimal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Have any of you admitted folks checked the "MyAwards" site? I went through all the hoops of registering so I could view my financial aid package and the information seems too good to be true (if what I'm seeing is renewable for the three years) so I just wanted to verify if it's actually supposed to be correct.

The site layout looks like this:

MyAwards
Award Amount Status Action Required?
Fed Direct PLUS Loan-GD
Federal Direct Loan Unsub-NH
Law School Grant-LW
UC Grant - LW
Total:

Thanks!

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Decimal wrote:Have any of you admitted folks checked the "MyAwards" site? I went through all the hoops of registering so I could view my financial aid package and the information seems too good to be true (if what I'm seeing is renewable for the three years) so I just wanted to verify if it's actually supposed to be correct.

MyAwards
Fed Direct PLUS Loan-GD
Law School Grant-LW
UC Grant - LW
Total:

Thanks!

hey - the UC Grant looks like it could be merit money... Mine looks exactly the same but with no line for UC Grant - LW, so I'm guessing that either you are eligible for an additional source for need-based grant (thats what the Law School Grant-LW is supposed to be) or you have your merit based award included too. thats awesome!

Decimal

Postby Decimal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm

hanman wrote:hey - the UC Grant looks like it could be merit money... Mine looks exactly the same but with no line for UC Grant - LW, so I'm guessing that either you are eligible for an additional source for need-based grant (thats what the Law School Grant-LW is supposed to be) or you have your merit based award included too. thats awesome!

I better ask the financial aid office about this because I wasn't really expecting much at all! Thanks for confirming that it's legit though. Did you receive a physical paper letter with your financial awards in the mail? Also, do you know if it's renewable for the three years?

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Just got Waitlisted via Status Checker. :|

g-rauf

Postby g-rauf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:43 pm

nm, waitlisted via status checker. 165/3.82. sucks.
Last edited by g-rauf on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Decimal

Postby Decimal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:43 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:Just got Waitlisted via Status Checker. :|

Sorry to hear about that. We were both posting here and the USC thread around the same time, wondering why they were ignoring us. Hope you got a good offer elsewhere at least.

Decimal

Postby Decimal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Okay, I just flipped though the catalog and it says under Awards Renewal: "As a student, you'll need to reapply for financial aid each academic year. There is no assurance that aid will be awarded in the same kinds and amounts from year to year, so it is important to inquire early regarding actions required to continue receiving assistance. If our funding levels permit and if your own personal resources do not change, aid usually continues at the same level each year."

Not a very cheery lack of a guarantee that is...employment prospects are uncertain enough in this economy as they are while tuition hikes are frighteningly certain. I'm not totally convinced that I should go to Davis instead and turn down a scholarship from another school that will remain constant every year for three years.

Does anyone have any information on how financial aid is for continuing students after the first year? I'd hate to be snagged in and enroll only to find out later down the road that they won't be giving any aid for my second and third years...

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Decimal wrote:

Sorry to hear about that. We were both posting here and the USC thread around the same time, wondering why they were ignoring us. Hope you got a good offer elsewhere at least.

Thanks. It would have been a tough decision between Hastings and Davis anyways since I'm a Bay Area native and plan on working in this market.

drobe24

Postby drobe24 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Decimal wrote:Have any of you admitted folks checked the "MyAwards" site? I went through all the hoops of registering so I could view my financial aid package and the information seems too good to be true (if what I'm seeing is renewable for the three years) so I just wanted to verify if it's actually supposed to be correct.

MyAwards
Fed Direct PLUS Loan-GD
Law School Grant-LW
UC Grant - LW
Total:

Thanks!

When I log into MyAwards to access my financial aid it keeps saying "This Aid Year is currently not available for viewing on MyAwards." I'm selecting Graduate/Professional Student 2012/2013 and it gives me the error and shows that I selected the Undergraduate 2012/2013

This is driving me crazy.

petite chouette

Postby petite chouette » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 pm

So I feel like another post regarding the waitlist officially classifies me as one of the crazy people obsessed with TLS and status checkers but so be it... did everyone on the waitlist receive an email asking them to reconfirm?

I tried to stalk the thread about this from last year and it looks like they didn't receive an email like that until June, or at least no one who received it earlier mentioned it. Also, no one seemed to know whether it was standard procedure, or like other schools where there was a very high correlation between receiving such an email and getting The Phone Call.

I say this as I'm preparing to go make a pretty significant excursion this weekend to try and choose between other schools :? It would be awesome if the email did hold some kind of greater significance that yielded an acceptance before deposit deadlines for other places!

GoUBears

Postby GoUBears » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 pm

petite chouette wrote:So I feel like another post regarding the waitlist officially classifies me as one of the crazy people obsessed with TLS and status checkers but so be it... did everyone on the waitlist receive an email asking them to reconfirm?

I tried to stalk the thread about this from last year and it looks like they didn't receive an email like that until June, or at least no one who received it earlier mentioned it. Also, no one seemed to know whether it was standard procedure, or like other schools where there was a very high correlation between receiving such an email and getting The Phone Call.

I say this as I'm preparing to go make a pretty significant excursion this weekend to try and choose between other schools :? It would be awesome if the email did hold some kind of greater significance that yielded an acceptance before deposit deadlines for other places!

+1

I got this email today too. I'm about to throw down some money at another school so it would be great if this means something... like, within the next 24 hours! *wishful thinking* :)

MG88

Postby MG88 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 pm

GoUBears wrote:
petite chouette wrote:So I feel like another post regarding the waitlist officially classifies me as one of the crazy people obsessed with TLS and status checkers but so be it... did everyone on the waitlist receive an email asking them to reconfirm?

+1

I got this email today too. I'm about to throw down some money at another school so it would be great if this means something... like, within the next 24 hours! *wishful thinking* :)

+1

I got the email this morning as well, asking for a response by the 20th. Let's see what happens... I already submitted a deposit somewhere else.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Does a status of "decision letter sent" mean that I'm rejected?

can this be over?

Postby can this be over? » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Geneva wrote:Does a status of "decision letter sent" mean that I'm rejected?

your "decision letter sent" should be a pdf link try clicking on it

kokorozukai

Postby kokorozukai » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Decimal wrote:Okay, I just flipped though the catalog and it says under Awards Renewal: "As a student, you'll need to reapply for financial aid each academic year. There is no assurance that aid will be awarded in the same kinds and amounts from year to year, so it is important to inquire early regarding actions required to continue receiving assistance. If our funding levels permit and if your own personal resources do not change, aid usually continues at the same level each year."

Not a very cheery lack of a guarantee that is...employment prospects are uncertain enough in this economy as they are while tuition hikes are frighteningly certain. I'm not totally convinced that I should go to Davis instead and turn down a scholarship from another school that will remain constant every year for three years.

Does anyone have any information on how financial aid is for continuing students after the first year? I'd hate to be snagged in and enroll only to find out later down the road that they won't be giving any aid for my second and third years...

At ASW, the director of Financial Aid basically said that your reward will never become LESS, but will likely either stay the same or become more. I remember they joked that since law students are poor and can't maintain jobs, students' need based grants usually become greater the second and third year unless they win the lottery or something.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 pm

sweet, i was accepted. the acceptance letter was dated a day after my seat deposit is due...

lawgirl821

Postby lawgirl821 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:31 pm

same. :roll:

xiaojimu

Postby xiaojimu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:31 pm

I emailed them 2 days ago about the status, and this is their response:

We are nearing the end of the evaluation process. We had hope to conclude all evaluations last week but were unable to do so. The Admission Committee should receive all remaining files this week making it possible to mail decisions by the end of this week or early next week.

Thank you for your patience.

Guess everyone will know by next week.

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Geneva wrote:sweet, i was accepted. the acceptance letter was dated a day after my seat deposit is due...

I hope you aren't considering UC Davis when you have been accepted to Stanford :lol:

Decimal

Postby Decimal » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:55 pm

kokorozukai wrote:At ASW, the director of Financial Aid basically said that your reward will never become LESS, but will likely either stay the same or become more. I remember they joked that since law students are poor and can't maintain jobs, students' need based grants usually become greater the second and third year unless they win the lottery or something.

Sweet. That takes me back to my UC undergrad days when tuition would go up every year but my grants would also go up accordingly (makes sense if Davis is going to charge $50k for in-state tuition, wow). I would pay sticker price if I won the lottery though.

bruinsfan4

Postby bruinsfan4 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Decimal wrote:
kokorozukai wrote:At ASW, the director of Financial Aid basically said that your reward will never become LESS, but will likely either stay the same or become more. I remember they joked that since law students are poor and can't maintain jobs, students' need based grants usually become greater the second and third year unless they win the lottery or something.

They did say that, you just have to consider your personal situation. For instance I (and I understand I am in the vast minority) am married. My wife is currently in school, but will start working in the fall. So, when they review my 2012 taxes, those numbers will be inflated and we will have earned a lot more than in 2011....again, I'm sure this isn't the case for most, but I just thought I would throw this out there

equinebeing

Postby equinebeing » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:13 pm

saw this thread jump to the top and it's after 7pm so I allowed myself to hope that there had been a string of decisions rendered. Alas, no, not for me.

Still waiting!

Airallie

Postby Airallie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 pm

equinebeing wrote:saw this thread jump to the top and it's after 7pm so I allowed myself to hope that there had been a string of decisions rendered. Alas, no, not for me.

Still waiting!
Me too but their is hope for Friday by 6:00 Pacific! Did anyone else get that Finical Aid email which said something along the lines of "when you get your offer of admissions"? I got one months ago myself. :!:

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:47 pm

MG88 wrote:
GoUBears wrote:

+1

Also got this email and just reconfirmed.

+1

I got the email this morning as well, asking for a response by the 20th. Let's see what happens... I already submitted a deposit somewhere else.

equinebeing

Postby equinebeing » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:31 pm

crossing my fingers. Maybe today will be the day..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”