UC Davis c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Beachbum89

Re: UC Davis c/o 2015

Postby Beachbum89 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:05 pm

hanman wrote:
ohcanada wrote:That seems mildly cruel they wont release that information before the deposit deadline.

yup - and they're hurting themselves by dissuading students who are eligible for merit $$ from choosing Davis. Hastings (which is likely the biggest competitor for davis w.r.t prospective students) has sent merit award information in advance of its may 1st deadline. money aside i would choose davis over hastings but hastings' (timely) merit award does not allow me to justify choosing Davis without getting the merit $$ information.

Exactly, I got a scholarship from Hastings today so I'm hoping that means I'm competitive for a similar offer from Davis. I love Davis and would love to attend but I'm not willing to commit until I find out about scholarships. I'm worried if I do put a deposit down that I won't get a scholarship simply because I've already committed to going there. Has anyone successfully asked for an extension until they send out scholarship info?

MG88

Postby MG88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 pm

lawgirl821 wrote:
MG88 wrote:Finally had a decision made! I submitted mid January. Got the WL letter via status checker.

When was the decision made?

The decision had to be made on Monday night, because when I checked Monday afternoon it still said in review.

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm

So any grant aid that Davis has offered so far does not include merit and is solely based off of need?

hanman

Postby hanman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:So any grant aid that Davis has offered so far does not include merit and is solely based off of need?

yep ... until yesterday the admissions office said they had not yet released merit info nor did they know when they would be releasing it.

SDPalmTree

Postby SDPalmTree » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:15 pm

hanman wrote:yep ... until yesterday the admissions office said they had not yet released merit info nor did they know when they would be releasing it.

Sounds like I'm going to be letting that deposit deadline pass me by...

Ah well, I wasn't expecting them to offer me enough to interest me anyway.

Then again, that may have been their plan all along... Get deposits from people who are committed/rich enough to deposit and only then start handing out merit aid.

A bold move Davis. A bold, bewildering, move.

hanman

Postby hanman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:
hanman wrote:yep ... until yesterday the admissions office said they had not yet released merit info nor did they know when they would be releasing it.

Sounds like I'm going to be letting that deposit deadline pass me by...

Ah well, I wasn't expecting them to offer me enough to interest me anyway.

Then again, that may have been their plan all along... Get deposits from people who are committed/rich enough to deposit and only then start handing out merit aid.

A bold move Davis. A bold, bewildering, move.

i didn't get in until this monday so my deposit deadline is april 30th. i would ask them for an extension though and point out that you can't make a decision without complete information about COA...it worked for me at other schools

SDPalmTree

Postby SDPalmTree » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 pm

hanman wrote:i would ask them for an extension though and point out that you can't make a decision without complete information about COA...it worked for me at other schools

Honestly? If they can't be bothered to give me timely information regarding my decision to attend, then I can't be bothered with caring enough about the school to ask for an extension. At this point, they are the ones wanting me to attend, not the other way around. If they don't care about their yeild, that's fine, but on the whole, their admissions practices have made me much more leary about accepting at Davis, even if they were to give me a good scholarship.

lawguyjake

Postby lawguyjake » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Has anyone placed a seat deposit yet or does anyone plan to?

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I emailed to ask for an extension seeing as they haven't sent out scholarships yet. Still no response so I called the admissions office and miraculously got someone to answer. She pretty much said they're working on getting scholarships out so I asked about an extension. She wasn't very helpful as she said I have to email their admissions email and wait for a response (which I've already done). I pointed out that the deposit deadline was this weekend which didn't seem to make a difference to her.

Hopefully I get a response today extending the deposit deadline.

hanman

Postby hanman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:I emailed to ask for an extension seeing as they haven't sent out scholarships yet. Still no response so I called the admissions office and miraculously got someone to answer. She pretty much said they're working on getting scholarships out so I asked about an extension. She wasn't very helpful as she said I have to email their admissions email and wait for a response (which I've already done). I pointed out that the deposit deadline was this weekend which didn't seem to make a difference to her.

please update if you do. i will ask about scholarship offers at the Open House tomorrow too.

lawguyjake

Postby lawguyjake » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:I emailed to ask for an extension seeing as they haven't sent out scholarships yet. Still no response so I called the admissions office and miraculously got someone to answer. She pretty much said they're working on getting scholarships out so I asked about an extension. She wasn't very helpful as she said I have to email their admissions email and wait for a response (which I've already done). I pointed out that the deposit deadline was this weekend which didn't seem to make a difference to her.

I've emailed multiple times throughout the cycle, and I've found that the Dean does a good job of replying to emails towards the end of the day. It might just be the last thing she does in the day. I'm pretty confident that she'll get back to you, though.

lawguyjake

Postby lawguyjake » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 pm

hanman wrote:

please update if you do. i will ask about scholarship offers at the Open House tomorrow too.

Argh! I wish I could go to ASW! I would love to talk to someone in person.

phi63alpha

Postby phi63alpha » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Withdrew. As a current UG at Davis, I don't think I could handle three more years in this small town (As much as I love this small town).

plaid

Postby plaid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Is anyone else still waiting on hearing an initial decision from Davis?

Decimal

Postby Decimal » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 pm

plaid wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on hearing an initial decision from Davis?

Yes, I'm still Evaluation in Progress. I ended up sending my seat deposit elsewhere.

lawgirl821

Postby lawgirl821 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:02 pm

plaid wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on hearing an initial decision from Davis?

I am :roll:

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Still waiting.... Expecting a decision this week, but you never know :?

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 am

Still EIP.

Airallie

Postby Airallie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:40 am

I am also EIP

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:59 am

Went to Admit Day today! The weather was absolutely amazing (maybe too hot), and I really like it there. It reminds me so much of UCSD (currently there for undergrad). I also saw my awards letter, and Davis offered slightly more $$ than Hastings. Too bad there's no Perkins Loan. I think I'm going to choose Davis over Hastings. This is the first time I had a clear preference for one school over the other. What a weird feeling.

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 am

lawguyjake wrote:
hanman wrote:

Argh! I wish I could go to ASW! I would love to talk to someone in person.

Scholarships as in grants/loans? If you're talking about the grants, apparently they don't send out emails. Just log in to where you checked your status, and follow the instructions under Financial Aid. I saw my awards letter there. :D

cool of law

Postby cool of law » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 am

current student at UC Davis Law. I love it here (well as much as someone can love law school)

anyways if anyone has any questions, shoot me a PM or just post.

I promise not to offer unsolicited advice otherwise :)

SDPalmTree

Postby SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:50 am

So, it's the last day for me to send in my deposit. Looks like this is goodbye for me UC Davis...

hanman

Postby hanman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:20 pm

at ASW, i asked the Dean about merit scholarships and when that information would be released. she said some had already gone out and she was working on it and hoped to send out more merit-based awards this week. she seemed to indicate all merit-based $$ would be out by end of the month...

SDPalmTree

Postby SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:39 pm

hanman wrote:at ASW, i asked the Dean about merit scholarships and when that information would be released. she said some had already gone out and she was working on it and hoped to send out more merit-based awards this week. she seemed to indicate all merit-based $$ would be out by end of the month...

Thanks for the info, hopefully that's some good news to another TLSer. For me, unless they manage to push out a full ride (and then some) within the next couple of hours, I can't justify spending more money on Davis. Someone more excited about Davis can have my spot.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”