UC Davis c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hanman

Re: UC Davis c/o 2015

Postby hanman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:00 pm

how long does it take between getting admitted and getting the financial aid award email?

i'm deciding between davis and duke and $$ will be the decision-making factor.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Waitlisted (received letter yesterday).

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm

hanman wrote:how long does it take between getting admitted and getting the financial aid award email?

where do u want to practice? if outside of ca, i'd suggest duke

hanman

Postby hanman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Geneva wrote:
hanman wrote:how long does it take between getting admitted and getting the financial aid award email?

i'd like to practice in the bay area. the only reason davis is a contender is b/c my husband works there and duke would require long distance. i'm hoping davis makes the decision a little earlier by giving me enough $$. i think it would be as difficult to find a job in the bay area coming from duke (with evidence of strong connections to ca - i.e. residency and spouse) as it would be to find a job anywhere coming from davis...maybe i'm underestimating davis though

can this be over?

Postby can this be over? » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:16 pm

hanman wrote:
Geneva wrote:

i'd like to practice in the bay area. the only reason davis is a contender is b/c my husband works there and duke would require long distance. i'm hoping davis makes the decision a little earlier by giving me enough $$. i think it would be as difficult to find a job in the bay area coming from duke (with evidence of strong connections to ca - i.e. residency and spouse) as it would be to find a job anywhere coming from davis...maybe i'm underestimating davis though

you are definitely underestimating davis...davis has great ties to the bay area...its only an hour away from SF. many davis students get externships/internships in SF and all over the bay area. if you want to practice in the bay area...go to davis...i would even go to hastings over duke.

That being said...youd need to do verywell at these schools. and im sure you could if you got into duke...top 10% from either davis or hastings is better than the 50% of duke...at least for hiring in the bay

hanman

Postby hanman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm

can this be over? wrote:
hanman wrote:
Geneva wrote:

you are definitely underestimating davis...davis has great ties to the bay area...its only an hour away from SF. many davis students get externships/internships in SF and all over the bay area. if you want to practice in the bay area...go to davis...i would even go to hastings over duke.

That being said...youd need to do verywell at these schools. and im sure you could if you got into duke...top 10% from either davis or hastings is better than the 50% of duke...at least for hiring in the bay

thanks! i visited davis last year and really loved the law school, the campus in general, and the law faculty. i also got into hastings but really did not like the 'campus' or the vibe. also they gave me much much less $$ than T-20 schools (they gave no merit $$ at all in fact) so im not feeling positive towards hastings at all :( i know that hastings might do a little better than davis in job placement and SV/SF-based internships/externships (given that my husband commutes daily from the east bay to davis and i know that it would be logistically harder to do externships or internships in SF during the semester from davis). if Davis COA ends up being close to Duke or even just a little bit higher than Duke, i would probably go to Davis and then work really really hard to place well in the class.

can this be over?

Postby can this be over? » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:43 pm

thanks! i visited davis last year and really loved the law school, the campus in general, and the law faculty. i also got into hastings but really did not like the 'campus' or the vibe. also they gave me much much less $$ than T-20 schools (they gave no merit $$ at all in fact) so im not feeling positive towards hastings at all :( i know that hastings might do a little better than davis in job placement and SV/SF-based internships/externships (given that my husband commutes daily from the east bay to davis and i know that it would be logistically harder to do externships or internships in SF during the semester from davis). if Davis COA ends up being close to Duke or even just a little bit higher than Duke, i would probably go to Davis and then work really really hard to place well in the class.[/quote]

I even know some current Davis students who are living in SF doing externships during the semester while earning units so if getting your foot in the door to SF is your goal it is definitely possible at davis! also you can always email the financial aid office with your offer from duke and ask for more money.

SDPalmTree

Postby SDPalmTree » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:48 pm

can this be over? wrote:ask for more money

This would requre that they get around to offering money to people in the first place. I finally broke down today and started bugging them about it - so far nothing but answering machines and unreplied email.

bruinsfan4

Postby bruinsfan4 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:

This would requre that they get around to offering money to people in the first place. I finally broke down today and started bugging them about it - so far nothing but answering machines and unreplied email.

Ya I've been bugging them for a while. Two weeks ago, then said "within a week." Today, they said "soon." I then proceeded to explain that there is no way I can give them a seat deposit without knowing, to which they replied: "I understand, ...soon" Really not pleased about this (Or the numerous unanswered calls). How can they expect people to make such an important decision without all of the information necessary to make that decision?

hanman

Postby hanman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:05 pm

bruinsfan4 wrote:
SDPalmTree wrote:

Ya I've been bugging them for a while. Two weeks ago, then said "within a week." Today, they said "soon." I then proceeded to explain that there is no way I can give them a seat deposit without knowing, to which they replied: "I understand, ...soon" Really not pleased about this (Or the numerous unanswered calls). How can they expect people to make such an important decision without all of the information necessary to make that decision?

are you planning to go to the ASD on Saturday? I am very recently admitted so I'm sure I'm way behind on the fin aid queue but I do plan to bug their Fin Aid people in person on Saturday. At the very least, Admissions should give extensions on the April 15th deadline to those who haven't received their complete fin aid info before then.

whoevencares

Postby whoevencares » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm GOING TO Admitted Students Weekend this weekend!.. Ill be in davis early friday, so I guess ill just check out the campus until 5:30 when the reception begins.

does davis have like a Facebook group or anything for their admitted students? I went to an ASW for Washington and Lee and by now everyone was super excited and talking about it, setting up plans etc. I feel like I might be missing something here..

hanman

Postby hanman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:27 pm

whoevencares wrote:I'm GOING TO Admitted Students Weekend this weekend!.. Ill be in davis early friday, so I guess ill just check out the campus until 5:30 when the reception begins.

does davis have like a Facebook group or anything for their admitted students? I went to an ASW for Washington and Lee and by now everyone was super excited and talking about it, setting up plans etc. I feel like I might be missing something here..

see you at Davis on Saturday! I'm excited to be attending ASD, the university has a great campus and Davis is a fun town.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:23 pm

how does davis compare to ucla/berk/stanford in the bay area? curious bc i imagine it would be hard to compare a student w/ no grades at berk/stanford to top 10% at davis. also curious how the location impacts ucla grads seeking employment in northern california. thanks!

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:37 am

a little birdie told me that more decisions are forthcoming this week and they will be finished sometime next week. hth

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 pm

lrslayer wrote:a little birdie told me that more decisions are forthcoming this week and they will be finished sometime next week. hth

If they're going to let me in, I hope it's before the ASD

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:12 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
lrslayer wrote:a little birdie told me that more decisions are forthcoming this week and they will be finished sometime next week. hth

ya, that is the exact reason i emailed them

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 pm

has anyone received merit based $$ information yet? i got a pretty decent need-based grant but when I contacted the fin aid office they said they are not in charge of merit-based grants...

bruinsfan4

Postby bruinsfan4 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:51 pm

hanman wrote:has anyone received merit based $$ information yet? i got a pretty decent need-based grant but when I contacted the fin aid office they said they are not in charge of merit-based grants...

Admissions is in charge of merit $$. I called yesterday and they said awards would go out soon, but could not say that they would be out before the upcoming 4/15 deposit deadline.

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 pm

bruinsfan4 wrote:
hanman wrote:has anyone received merit based $$ information yet? i got a pretty decent need-based grant but when I contacted the fin aid office they said they are not in charge of merit-based grants...

Admissions is in charge of merit $$. I called yesterday and they said awards would go out soon, but could not say that they would be out before the upcoming 4/15 deposit deadline.

yeah just called and got the same noncommittal answer w.r.t whether they'd be out by 4/15. sigh.

bruinsfan4

Postby bruinsfan4 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:00 pm

hanman wrote:
bruinsfan4 wrote:

yeah just called and got the same noncommittal answer w.r.t whether they'd be out by 4/15. sigh.

I was pretty much told "no" with regard to 4/15... I am going to call tomorrow and tell them straight up that there is now way I send them a seat deposit without this info. It is ridiculous for them to ask for your deposit without giving you this kind of information

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 pm

bruinsfan4 wrote:
hanman wrote:
bruinsfan4 wrote:

I was pretty much told "no" with regard to 4/15... I am going to call tomorrow and tell them straight up that there is now way I send them a seat deposit without this info. It is ridiculous for them to ask for your deposit without giving you this kind of information

are you going to ASD? if we don't hear about merit info by then, i plan to tell them the same in person, i cannot commit without knowing my true cost of attendance.

lawgirl821

Postby lawgirl821 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:34 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:

+1

ohcanada

Postby ohcanada » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:13 pm

That seems mildly cruel they wont release that information before the deposit deadline.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 pm

ohcanada wrote:That seems mildly cruel they wont release that information before the deposit deadline.

Budgets are tight. Especially for public institutions. They're looking to make it up where they can.

ETA: my level of joking in this is a little less than half.

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:35 pm

ohcanada wrote:That seems mildly cruel they wont release that information before the deposit deadline.

yup - and they're hurting themselves by dissuading students who are eligible for merit $$ from choosing Davis. Hastings (which is likely the biggest competitor for davis w.r.t prospective students) has sent merit award information in advance of its may 1st deadline. money aside i would choose davis over hastings but hastings' (timely) merit award does not allow me to justify choosing Davis without getting the merit $$ information.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”