UC Davis c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blurose

Bronze

Re: UC Davis c/o 2015

Post by blurose » Wed May 30, 2012 7:42 pm

I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday as well. I'm really frustrated with them though. The seat deposit deadline is Friday, but according to the LSAC guidelines to which they must adhere, if I submit my financial aid forms in a timely fashion I cannot required to submit a deposit before receiving a response from financial aid. I just got off the phone with someone there and I told them I had submitted both FAFSA and Need Access a long time ago, at the beginning of March, and was hoping I could take the aid into consideration before submitting a deposit. The person on the phone was kind of dismissive said that I had to submit my deposit first before asking for aid. I politely mentioned the LSAC guidelines and she laughed at me and said LSAC has nothing to do with this. She then told me that I ought to look on the website for any further information and if I want to request a seat deposit deadline extension, which might or might not be granted, I should do it in writing to the admissions email address. Has anyone else had this problem? Please advise!

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Wed May 30, 2012 7:55 pm

blurose wrote:I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday as well. I'm really frustrated with them though. The seat deposit deadline is Friday, but according to the LSAC guidelines to which they must adhere, if I submit my financial aid forms in a timely fashion I cannot required to submit a deposit before receiving a response from financial aid. I just got off the phone with someone there and I told them I had submitted both FAFSA and Need Access a long time ago, at the beginning of March, and was hoping I could take the aid into consideration before submitting a deposit. The person on the phone was kind of dismissive said that I had to submit my deposit first before asking for aid. I politely mentioned the LSAC guidelines and she laughed at me and said LSAC has nothing to do with this. She then told me that I ought to look on the website for any further information and if I want to request a seat deposit deadline extension, which might or might not be granted, I should do it in writing to the admissions email address. Has anyone else had this problem? Please advise!
Well first off, your experience was not unique. The Davis admissions staff is absolutely terrible, and easily the rudest I've encountered. I will say however that I was able to get things worked out exponentially faster by CC'ing Dean (Kevin) Johnson on my email to Dean Pinkney. PM me if you're after more details.

michelada

New

Post by michelada » Wed May 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Do you all think that there will be more offers in this wave of waitlist acceptances, or was that it? I guess it's hard to tell, but I don't know if anyone has noticed a trend from previous waves of acceptances from the waitlist.

I'm still keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

Ubermaus

New

Post by Ubermaus » Wed May 30, 2012 10:25 pm

GoUBears wrote:
Ubermaus wrote:Accepted off the WL by e-mail last night. Kind of excited? No word yet on a free kitten.

Best line from the message: "Please do hesitate to let me know if I can answer any questions."
Congrats. Any scholarship offer in lieu of a free kitten?
I checked the financial aid website and it looks like they're offering me $78k ... in loans. That's going to make it pretty hard to accept the offer, much as I once wanted to attend. In the words of my husband: "You could be unemployed for two years after attending WUSTL and it would still be cheaper in the long run."
Nammertat wrote:
blurose wrote:I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday as well. I'm really frustrated with them though. The seat deposit deadline is Friday, but according to the LSAC guidelines to which they must adhere, if I submit my financial aid forms in a timely fashion I cannot required to submit a deposit before receiving a response from financial aid. I just got off the phone with someone there and I told them I had submitted both FAFSA and Need Access a long time ago, at the beginning of March, and was hoping I could take the aid into consideration before submitting a deposit. The person on the phone was kind of dismissive said that I had to submit my deposit first before asking for aid. I politely mentioned the LSAC guidelines and she laughed at me and said LSAC has nothing to do with this. She then told me that I ought to look on the website for any further information and if I want to request a seat deposit deadline extension, which might or might not be granted, I should do it in writing to the admissions email address. Has anyone else had this problem? Please advise!
Well first off, your experience was not unique. The Davis admissions staff is absolutely terrible, and easily the rudest I've encountered. I will say however that I was able to get things worked out exponentially faster by CC'ing Dean (Kevin) Johnson on my email to Dean Pinkney. PM me if you're after more details.
Is there more to it than just logging into MyAwards? Because instructions for that are on the admitted students' site. https://www.law.ucdavis.edu/AdmittedStudents/index.html

Edited to add: I don't mean that last part to sound sassy; if there's more to it than MyAwards it's relevant to my interests, haha.

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Wed May 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Ubermaus wrote:
GoUBears wrote:
Ubermaus wrote:Accepted off the WL by e-mail last night. Kind of excited? No word yet on a free kitten.

Best line from the message: "Please do hesitate to let me know if I can answer any questions."
Congrats. Any scholarship offer in lieu of a free kitten?
I checked the financial aid website and it looks like they're offering me $78k ... in loans. That's going to make it pretty hard to accept the offer, much as I once wanted to attend. In the words of my husband: "You could be unemployed for two years after attending WUSTL and it would still be cheaper in the long run."
Nammertat wrote:
Is there more to it than just logging into MyAwards? Because instructions for that are on the admitted students' site. https://www.law.ucdavis.edu/AdmittedStudents/index.html

Edited to add: I don't mean that last part to sound sassy; if there's more to it than MyAwards it's relevant to my interests, haha.

Thank you! I've spoken with several people and received several emails from them, and not one of them mentioned the admitted students website, that my aid would be there, or how to access it. The rude woman on the phone kept telling me to go to the status checker website and I'd find the information for financial aid there. They really need to get their stuff together. I shouldn't have to come to this message board to learn how to access stuff! Thank you for telling me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Thu May 31, 2012 12:03 am

My "estimated financial aid" includes mostly loans and a $14,000 grant. Lame.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu May 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Off the waitlist on May 29 here, too...

Deposits are due on Friday?? =0

Ubermaus

New

Post by Ubermaus » Thu May 31, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeah deposits are due Friday, and don't try to ask any substantive questions about scholarships, because the Dean of Admissions is in Florida for a conference. :|

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu May 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Ubermaus wrote:Yeah deposits are due Friday, and don't try to ask any substantive questions about scholarships, because the Dean of Admissions is in Florida for a conference. :|
Thanks, Ubermaus. And uh...how convenient =/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Thu May 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Ubermaus wrote:Yeah deposits are due Friday, and don't try to ask any substantive questions about scholarships, because the Dean of Admissions is in Florida for a conference. :|
I emailed both Johnson and Pinkney and they responded soon after from their iPhones. Try emailing them, you've got nothing to lose and Dean Johnson was very friendly.

jaded2526

New

Post by jaded2526 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Withdrew from the wait list today. Good luck guys

Ubermaus

New

Post by Ubermaus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Withdrawn, with regrets. I was told the dean would get back to me about merit aid, but not a peep from Florida or wherever. Hopefully one of you gets my spot!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:12 pm

In off WL today. w00t. (Received email around 4 pm PDT telling me to check status at 6; status checker had decision letter).

Weighing options, but attending for sticker would be tough, considering offer currently accepted elsewhere.

I have a short time to respond (not sure how short since the letter asks for my response by June 1 (perhaps they knew that I was watching Back To The Future II when I got the heads up email).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

autocratech

New

Post by autocratech » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 pm

In off WL as well but was a bit thrown off that they didn't give me an email on how to proceed or where to pay my deposit. Do I just wait for the snail mail packet to come?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:14 pm

autocratech wrote:In off WL as well but was a bit thrown off that they didn't give me an email on how to proceed or where to pay my deposit. Do I just wait for the snail mail packet to come?
I expect so. Did your online letter also say June 1 deadline?

autocratech

New

Post by autocratech » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Yup. :/

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:29 am

Yeah same thing happened to me, there's an admitted students website but I didn't receive an email about it. You can find it on their main website

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

plaid

New

Post by plaid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:57 am

I also received the 4pm notice on Tuesday! \o/ I believe the Admitted Students site is found at https://www.law.ucdavis.edu/AdmittedStudents/

Congrats if you got the notice, good luck if you're still waiting, and good luck to everyone as we now get to join the ranks of all the other admitted people who were trying to figure out what merit aid they might receive.

melanne89

Bronze

Post by melanne89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Does anyone know if Davis usually rejects waitlisters the closer it gets to August? Or do they just keep everyone on the WL until Mid-August when the class is already set?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:41 pm

melanne89 wrote:Does anyone know if Davis usually rejects waitlisters the closer it gets to August? Or do they just keep everyone on the WL until Mid-August when the class is already set?
Dunno for sure. WL letter said "If, by August 19, it appears unlikely that you will be offered admission for Fall 2012, you will be so advised." I believe they meant to say "If it appears unlikely that you will be offered admission for Fall 2012 by August 19, you will be so advised," since what they actually said is obvious (with classes starting Aug 20).

Anyway, it sounds to me as if they may not be dinging people, but may be advising them that they're unlikely to make it.

danzaroo

New

Post by danzaroo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:27 pm

I got in off of the waitlist on Tuesday too. Received an email afterwards saying I can't accept any of my fin. aid until after June 22nd for some reason. Still, they offered more grant money than I got for Hastings, so I'm going to go for it. Good luck to those who are still in purgatory.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:00 pm

danzaroo wrote:I got in off of the waitlist on Tuesday too. Received an email afterwards saying I can't accept any of my fin. aid until after June 22nd for some reason. Still, they offered more grant money than I got for Hastings, so I'm going to go for it. Good luck to those who are still in purgatory.
Were these all need-based grants or was there merit too? If the latter, where were you able to view this?

danzaroo

New

Post by danzaroo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Just need-based so far. Financial aid told me to contact admissions about merit/scholarship stuff, so I'm waiting to hear back. :?

photobooth

New

Post by photobooth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 am

Withdrew with money. FYI, the admissions committee does offer merit-based aid. I had to ask for it though, but a response came within a few days. Good luck!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Withdrawn. No money back into the pot, but at least one of you might get my seat. Best of luck.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”