Kentucky c/o 2015 (2011-12 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ypark87

New

Re: Kentucky c/o 2015 (2011-12 Cycle)

Post by ypark87 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Still, it seems like they could make a lot of money from collecting out of state tuition? Or am I out of it on that one too.

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 am

ypark87 wrote:Still, it seems like they could make a lot of money from collecting out of state tuition? Or am I out of it on that one too.
they certainly could, although I think it is a balance of finding students with numbers above their medians to bring their averages up (and with it their prestige/ranking) and fishing from the in-state pool. i don't know much about Kentucky UG students but I am sure the population is small considering the small size of the state and the applicant pool for LS would surely be proportionately small

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 am

USMCMatt wrote:
ypark87 wrote:Still, it seems like they could make a lot of money from collecting out of state tuition? Or am I out of it on that one too.
they certainly could, although I think it is a balance of finding students with numbers above their medians to bring their averages up (and with it their prestige/ranking) and fishing from the in-state pool. i don't know much about Kentucky UG students but I am sure the population is small considering the small size of the state and the applicant pool for LS would surely be proportionately small
Makes sense. Either way, I am happy about my tuition equalizer! Nowhere else that I applied seemed to want to give me anything :(

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
I can see how it would be easy to think that, but this isn't the case. Most students from Kentucky stay in KY for UG and then for LS as well, if they attend. UK's undergrad is about 20k, and of the 10 I know who are going to LS, 7 are going to UK and 2 to Louisville. UK Law's student population is overwhelmingly Kentucky-based. The scholarships they give to OOS students are a part of their effort to attract more students who are not Kentuckians.

Furthermore, not everyone OOS gets scholarships and not everyone IS gets scholarships. The numbers you see represented on this site are skewed strongly towards those who do, so that is what is up with the scholly information you see here on TLS

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 pm

ashley12 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:
I can see how it would be easy to think that, but this isn't the case. Most students from Kentucky stay in KY for UG and then for LS as well, if they attend. UK's undergrad is about 20k, and of the 10 I know who are going to LS, 7 are going to UK and 2 to Louisville. UK Law's student population is overwhelmingly Kentucky-based. The scholarships they give to OOS students are a part of their effort to attract more students who are not Kentuckians.

Furthermore, not everyone OOS gets scholarships and not everyone IS gets scholarships. The numbers you see represented on this site are skewed strongly towards those who do, so that is what is up with the scholly information you see here on TLS
Does this mean that I won't be able to get a job(?) because I am not from Kentucky?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm

ashley12 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:

That's a good point...I failed to consider people not wanting to report "failures" on an open forum.

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:28 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
ashley12 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:

That's a good point...I failed to consider people not wanting to report "failures" on an open forum.
OK -- I'll take the bait. I was accepted at UK in November. A week after I applied. I see people on here saying they are getting waivers, scholarships, etc... and I have gotten nothing. So, yes, not every OOS gets a scholarship.

Katilicus

New

Post by Katilicus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:21 pm

In via e-mail this afternoon, 3:27pm. Waiting on scholarships.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:36 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
ashley12 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:

And on top of that, tls posters tend to be ahead of the curve generally speaking. I was shocked the first few times I visited this site and saw that most people had 164+ lsats

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thorntonjm2

New

Post by thorntonjm2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Katilicus wrote:In via e-mail this afternoon, 3:27pm. Waiting on scholarships.
In as well, by email. Any idea about the turnaround on scholarship information?

On a side note, I am super impressed with how quickly a decision was made... I went complete less than a week ago!

Katilicus

New

Post by Katilicus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 pm

thorntonjm2 wrote:
Katilicus wrote:In via e-mail this afternoon, 3:27pm. Waiting on scholarships.
In as well, by email. Any idea about the turnaround on scholarship information?

On a side note, I am super impressed with how quickly a decision was made... I went complete less than a week ago!
Me too! Went complete on the 7th. Also they updated me Friday with decision pending for today. Super helpful!

From this thread looks like 2-3 weeks on scholarships.

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:05 am

Got the admit letter in the mail yesterday, but out of state tuition at $30k/year is a non-starter for me. Maybe I get lucky and get an in-state waiver but I will probably be withdrawing soon.

lowridrOX

New

Post by lowridrOX » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Got my admit letter Thursday. It said I'm still in the running for scholarships. Would seriously consider attending if I get some $$$.

USMCmatt, I'm still living near Camp Lejeune. Where were you at when you were in the Corps? It's good to see another vet applying to Kentucky. Do you know anything about UK's Yellow Ribbon Program $$$? I emailed the financial aid office but still haven't heard anything back yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:49 pm

lowridrOX wrote:Got my admit letter Thursday. It said I'm still in the running for scholarships. Would seriously consider attending if I get some $$$.

USMCmatt, I'm still living near Camp Lejeune. Where were you at when you were in the Corps? It's good to see another vet applying to Kentucky. Do you know anything about UK's Yellow Ribbon Program $$$? I emailed the financial aid office but still haven't heard anything back yet.
I'm still in. Active Duty 0352/8513 29 Palms/Pendleton from 98-06 then left for some years to attend college. Back in as a 58 in 09 as IMA in the USMCR at Pendleton mobilized till the end of this FY but I am dropping off orders early for LS. If your numbers are halfway decent you wont need the YR program. They dropped my tuition to the in-state rate which will be fully covered by GI Bill. Last year they had 15 unlimited YR Schollys for graduate level. Don't know about this year. The VA hasn't posted anything yet.

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:59 pm

I am now very seriously considering UK Law as they said they were mailing me a scholarship offer this week. So, if in-state tuition plus a bit more $ -- and I am in. Who else here is for sure on UK?

lowridrOX

New

Post by lowridrOX » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Five years active 0311. EAS'd Dec. 2010. On IRR right now. Two yrs @1st FAST-->WESTPAC doing EMIO. I spent the rest of the time at Mar. Spec. Ops. School teaching HRST and light infantry tactics. I saw the 15 unlimited graduate awards on the VA website but I always wonder how many guys are already using those 15 boat spaces. I know at a few other schools I've been admitted to they only award 4 or 5 YRP spaces and they're typically held by 2 & 3Ls. I'm hoping for the OOS tuition waiver like you said. That would make life easy.

chamuc

New

Post by chamuc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:19 am

in! on Valentine's day. No word bout scholarship, waiting for my package, which perhaps take weeks to reach here - I'm currently on the other side of the pond.

Congrats everyone! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Katilicus

New

Post by Katilicus » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:23 am

chamuc wrote:in! on Valentine's day. No word bout scholarship, waiting for my package, which perhaps take weeks to reach here - I'm currently on the other side of the pond.

Congrats everyone! :)
Congrats :) Good luck on the scholarships!

Katilicus

New

Post by Katilicus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Scholarship offer arrived today pretty quick after acceptance. Offer was to bring down to resident tuition - not quite enough for me to warrant going considering I have an offer at UC to bring tuition down a lot more. Might try to negotiate more, anyone have any luck negotiating with UK in the past? Love Lexington, but I would need a larger offer than in state. (I sound very ungrateful and for that I apologize!)

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:46 pm

Katilicus wrote:Scholarship offer arrived today pretty quick after acceptance. Offer was to bring down to resident tuition - not quite enough for me to warrant going considering I have an offer at UC to bring tuition down a lot more. Might try to negotiate more, anyone have any luck negotiating with UK in the past? Love Lexington, but I would need a larger offer than in state. (I sound very ungrateful and for that I apologize!)
Still waiting on my scholarship offer. They said it would be mailed last week......

thorntonjm2

New

Post by thorntonjm2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:02 pm

I received in-state tuition equalizer as well. Also not sure if it is enough, but am thankful for the consideration. Waiting to here back from some other schools before I try to negotiate ~ not to hopeful with my numbers, however.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thorntonjm2

New

Post by thorntonjm2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Is the instate tuition equalizer considered a merit-based scholarship? I guess I am just trying to figure out if this is all I am going to get or if I am eligible for more money down the line...

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 am

Tuition equalizer. Looking like a good possibility, I may be going to visit early next week.

Woot woot!

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 am

thorntonjm2 wrote:Is the instate tuition equalizer considered a merit-based scholarship? I guess I am just trying to figure out if this is all I am going to get or if I am eligible for more money down the line...
From what I have been told, it's one of their merit based schollys. That's what my letter said. All in all, 17k for a pretty decent school isn't too terrible.

thorntonjm2

New

Post by thorntonjm2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 am

No, absolutely not - I am more than grateful. It is just that deciding whether or not law school is financially feasible has been a tough decision to make (as I am sure it has been for everyone) so any additional aid would just make that decision a little bit easier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”