Kentucky c/o 2015 (2011-12 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tolson1

Bronze

Re: Kentucky c/o 2015 (2011-12 Cycle)

Post by tolson1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:28 pm

To those who got fellowships (for in-state tuition), what were your numbers?

I would almost certainly attend if I was given in state tuition.. Just accepted today, but no mention of in-state tuition..

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:41 pm

tolson1 wrote:To those who got fellowships (for in-state tuition), what were your numbers?

I would almost certainly attend if I was given in state tuition.. Just accepted today, but no mention of in-state tuition..
3.22 and 156, I have no idea why or how they decided on the scholly, given my numbers. I'm super excited and glad they decided to give me the money, though!

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 pm

ypark87 wrote:
tolson1 wrote:To those who got fellowships (for in-state tuition), what were your numbers?

Oh, and my in-state scholarship letter came in the mail a good 3 weeks after I was accepted, so I wouldn't worry too much.

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Guys have they build the new building yet? I can't find any information on it. Are there any 1/2/3L's out there that are willing to answer some questions :)?

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:01 am

tolson1 wrote:Guys have they build the new building yet? I can't find any information on it. Are there any 1/2/3L's out there that are willing to answer some questions :)?
Not a current student, but I live here and there are definitely no new constructions, nor do I believe they will actually make headway on them in the next few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Katilicus

New

Post by Katilicus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 am

Applied recently, what's their turn around time generally? I'm in at Cincinnati, however I'm still looking at UK and OSU. File went complete about 2 weeks ago.

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 am

ashley12 wrote:
tolson1 wrote:Guys have they build the new building yet? I can't find any information on it. Are there any 1/2/3L's out there that are willing to answer some questions :)?
Not a current student, but I live here and there are definitely no new constructions, nor do I believe they will actually make headway on them in the next few years.

Is the building in rough shape? I've seen it listed as being pretty bad..

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 am

tolson1 wrote:
ashley12 wrote:

It's definitely not going to be winning any beauty contests, but I don't think it's *that* bad. It's in need of a replacement, but I know that has been the case for a handful of the schools I am considering as well.

eta: I do agree with Cdelgado, however. Of the "bads", it's the worst.
Last edited by ashley12 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:42 am

tolson1 wrote:
ashley12 wrote:

It's the worst law building I have encountered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nrj1084

New

Post by nrj1084 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:02 am

Katilicus wrote:Applied recently, what's their turn around time generally? I'm in at Cincinnati, however I'm still looking at UK and OSU. File went complete about 2 weeks ago.
Judging by the people posting in this thread, plus the stats at Law School Numbers (I'm sure there is some overlap), the turnaround time seems fairly quick for most people. There are some whose turnaround was more than 2 months, but most seem to have a decision within a month of their application going complete. My app went complete on 1/31, and I got an acceptance email yesterday.

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am

nrj1084 wrote:
Katilicus wrote:Applied recently, what's their turn around time generally? I'm in at Cincinnati, however I'm still looking at UK and OSU. File went complete about 2 weeks ago.
Judging by the people posting in this thread, plus the stats at Law School Numbers (I'm sure there is some overlap), the turnaround time seems fairly quick for most people. There are some whose turnaround was more than 2 months, but most seem to have a decision within a month of their application going complete. My app went complete on 1/31, and I got an acceptance email yesterday.
I submitted mine in November and got a response in January. That's pretty fast, seeing as I have applications I turned in in October and I'm still waiting to hear back.

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 am

cdelgado wrote:
tolson1 wrote:
ashley12 wrote:

It's the worst law building I have encountered.

:(, I don't know why they wouldn't use all means necessary to repair. I imagine that they are looking a lot of strong prospective students because of it. Does anyone have pictures?

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 pm

I imagine the tight state budget has something to do with it and they probably habe lost some students over it; however, they do attempt to overcome the facility issue. I don't know if pictures exist online.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Katilicus

New

Post by Katilicus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 pm

File Pending for Decision 02/14/2012

Anyone else? 163/3.91

Followed the thread, seems like they've been good about getting back the day they said. I know people got their offers in January for $$, any of the admitted in January get their scholarship offers yet? Only feasible way for me to end up in Lexington is with a good offer (feasibility of moving myself without my spouse :( ).

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Katilicus wrote:File Pending for Decision 02/14/2012

Anyone else? 163/3.91

Followed the thread, seems like they've been good about getting back the day they said. I know people got their offers in January for $$, any of the admitted in January get their scholarship offers yet? Only feasible way for me to end up in Lexington is with a good offer (feasibility of moving myself without my spouse :( ).
Yes, I was giveen my scholly in January, around 2 or 3 weeks after getting accepted. Good luck to you!

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

cdelgado wrote:I imagine the tight state budget has something to do with it and they probably habe lost some students over it; however, they do attempt to overcome the facility issue. I don't know if pictures exist online.
Is the law building really that terrible? How does having a bad law building affect your studies, or is it just an aesthetics issue?

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:14 pm

ypark87 wrote:
cdelgado wrote:I imagine the tight state budget has something to do with it and they probably habe lost some students over it; however, they do attempt to overcome the facility issue. I don't know if pictures exist online.
Is the law building really that terrible? How does having a bad law building affect your studies, or is it just an aesthetics issue?
It only matters if it is matters to you. I was speaking more on a personal issue - of all the law schools I have visited it is the worst but I am sure people will disagree (and that's fine!). Let's face it employment statistics are far more important; however, for me, I would not want to spend any time in that building which could affect my studies as I need to be in the library, utilize services, etc.

So it's mainly an aesthetics issue but for me it would get into QoL, studying, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 pm

cdelgado wrote:
ypark87 wrote:
It only matters if it is matters to you. I was speaking more on a personal issue - of all the law schools I have visited it is the worst but I am sure people will disagree (and that's fine!). Let's face it employment statistics are far more important; however, for me, I would not want to spend any time in that building which could affect my studies as I need to be in the library, utilize services, etc.

So it's mainly an aesthetics issue but for me it would get into QoL, studying, etc.
Ah, I see. Thanks! Yeah I wasn't sure exactly what the comments were meant by terrible--like is it in a trailer or something haha. As long as it's ok to have classes in, I'm alright with that.

nrj1084

New

Post by nrj1084 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 am

Tight state budget is an understatement - the university has seen its funding cut by the state legislature for each of the last 12 years. I went to UK for undergrad and can tell you that there are many buildings on campus that are even more in need of an overhaul than the law school.

nrj1084

New

Post by nrj1084 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 am

ypark87 wrote:
cdelgado wrote:
ypark87 wrote:

Ah, I see. Thanks! Yeah I wasn't sure exactly what the comments were meant by terrible--like is it in a trailer or something haha. As long as it's ok to have classes in, I'm alright with that.

While in undergrad at UK, I took a moot court class that met inside the law building. The building feels a bit outdated and cramped compared to most other schools, but I never felt that it wasn't an environment suitable for learning. I know this is a very subjective topic, but having taken some high school classes in a trailer (while parts of the school were being renovated), I can assure you that the UK Law building's ambiance is way better :D

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 am

I'm OOS and was offered the IS tuition fellowship. 159/3.79.

I think I should ask for a little more $$ though. Still waiting on other schools in that ranking range to get back about scholly cash to see if I have something to negotiate with...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

For how much funding it seems to have lost through the state, UK seems to be rather generous with the scholarships (as in, giving them to many students). Where does that money come from? Or maybe it seems that way because multiple people have posted on this thread talking about getting money. I find that not very common in law schools? Or am I wrong again?

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm

ypark87 wrote:For how much funding it seems to have lost through the state, UK seems to be rather generous with the scholarships (as in, giving them to many students). Where does that money come from? Or maybe it seems that way because multiple people have posted on this thread talking about getting money. I find that not very common in law schools? Or am I wrong again?
it seems to me that UK is not giving out money as much as they are just allowing OOS students to pay the in state rate. it's not like they are technically giving money away.

Katilicus

New

Post by Katilicus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:48 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
ypark87 wrote:For how much funding it seems to have lost through the state, UK seems to be rather generous with the scholarships (as in, giving them to many students). Where does that money come from? Or maybe it seems that way because multiple people have posted on this thread talking about getting money. I find that not very common in law schools? Or am I wrong again?
it seems to me that UK is not giving out money as much as they are just allowing OOS students to pay the in state rate. it's not like they are technically giving money away.
I wonder if anyone is getting full tuition at this point in the cycle, I'd really need it to make it possible.

Anyone else sitting at "File pending decision" dated for tomorrow? A bit nervous and excited. I love thie ticker, but I'll be really dissapointed if I don't hear tomorrow.

ypark87

New

Post by ypark87 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:50 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
Gotcha. That's true, didn't think about it that way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”