Idaho 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msu1077

Bronze

Re: Idaho 2012

Post by msu1077 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm

LWOP wrote:
msu1077 wrote:Well...I now have a seat deposit due in April. My file still says under review, but I'm going to take that as a good sign :D
mine says that now too.... wtf... Santa Clara says decision rendered... and seat deposits, but is that automatic??? wtf...
Ha! I emailed Susan Ball today regarding the appearance of seat deposit numbers, and since then mine have disappeared :cry: I guess I should have kept my mouth shut, huh?

Maximillian

New

Post by Maximillian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

If it says in the status tracker- seat deposit due, does that mean I am in or does it say that for everyone?

ZoonEchonLogon

New

Post by ZoonEchonLogon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Maximillian wrote:If it says in the status tracker- seat deposit due, does that mean I am in or does it say that for everyone?
For mine, they released the decision on the status checker page. It said admitted where it used to say complete. I don't know about everyone else, but that's the way it went for me. I can't remember if I had seat deposit information prior to that or not.

Lawbound1122

New

Post by Lawbound1122 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 pm

msu1077 wrote:
LWOP wrote:
msu1077 wrote:Well...I now have a seat deposit due in April. My file still says under review, but I'm going to take that as a good sign :D
mine says that now too.... wtf... Santa Clara says decision rendered... and seat deposits, but is that automatic??? wtf...
Ha! I emailed Susan Ball today regarding the appearance of seat deposit numbers, and since then mine have disappeared :cry: I guess I should have kept my mouth shut, huh?
Same here, due date for seat deposit... I'm assuming it's an automatic thing since we're all receiving it without a decision/acceptance... :(

msu1077

Bronze

Post by msu1077 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Just received my call from the Associate Dean of Admissions. Accepted with a $10k a year!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:45 pm

msu1077 wrote:Just received my call from the Associate Dean of Admissions. Accepted with a $10k a year!
That's great and congrats! I am most likely withdrawing my acceptance from Idaho next week -- maybe they will give you some of of my scholarship $$. :D

Lawbound1122

New

Post by Lawbound1122 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 pm

msu1077 wrote:Just received my call from the Associate Dean of Admissions. Accepted with a $10k a year!
Maybe the seat deposit date is a good sign then. Hope to get a similar call! Congrats :mrgreen:

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:32 am

I highly encourage anyone who hasn't been to Moscow to visit before attending U of I. Last year, I had all but put my seat deposit down but decided to put off law school for a year instead after visiting. It's not a bad place, I just didn't see myself there.

corvid

New

Post by corvid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:41 am

same

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thoughtsponge

New

Post by thoughtsponge » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Ahoy! My application has been in review since 1/30/12. Many of my seat deposit deadlines are coming up, so I hope to hear from U of I soon.

Lawbound1122

New

Post by Lawbound1122 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 am

thoughtsponge wrote:Ahoy! My application has been in review since 1/30/12. Many of my seat deposit deadlines are coming up, so I hope to hear from U of I soon.
Been in review since 12/12, no word... Have seat deposits due 4/1, U of I is my number one choice!

thoughtsponge

New

Post by thoughtsponge » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Lawbound1122 wrote:
thoughtsponge wrote:Ahoy! My application has been in review since 1/30/12. Many of my seat deposit deadlines are coming up, so I hope to hear from U of I soon.
Been in review since 12/12, no word... Have seat deposits due 4/1, U of I is my number one choice!
Do you recommend any sites with honest student testimony regarding their time at U of I?

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

thoughtsponge wrote:
Lawbound1122 wrote:
Do you recommend any sites with honest student testimony regarding their time at U of I?
Of the two people I know well that attended U of I, both very much enjoyed their time there (if you'd like their contact info, I could give it to you...just PM me) I think Idaho is a great choice if you (A) are absolutely sure you want to practice in Idaho and (B) can handle living in a small town -- Moscow isn't smallish, it's small by any standard. How small? Wal-Mart went out of business there.

I'm a resident and can't just justify paying even resident price based on these two factors. If you're SURE you can do both, Idaho is great, even for a non-resident -- you're guaranteed resident price after your first year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:59 am

Seriously? Moscow is that small? I am admitted there and you are worrying me. I will visit before committing of course. Was it a Super Walmart that shut down or just one of those old small ones?

thoughtsponge

New

Post by thoughtsponge » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm not terribly worried about the size of the city. In my view, I'll be spending most of the time studying on campus or at home--what little time remains will be devoted to my wife and shiba. :mrgreen:

On another note, the wait is absolutely devastating. If not for my job, I'd be a certified looney.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 pm

robocall12 wrote:Seriously? Moscow is that small? I am admitted there and you are worrying me. I will visit before committing of course. Was it a Super Walmart that shut down or just one of those old small ones?
I don't think it was a Super Wal-Mart. It was just something the students mentioned to me while I was visiting. I might be exaggerating, because I believe they opened one in Pullman, WA (about 10 min. away) when the one in Moscow closed.

The students at the other schools I visited just seemed so much happier than the ones at U of I -- maybe they were all just having a bad day or just got grades back or something. I don't want to harp too much on U of I or Moscow, because I was only there for one day.

That one day was enough for me to decide it wasn't the environment for me. I think it could be a great fit for the right person though. Again, I'd visit before committing (though you probably don't have much time to do that before deposits are due).
thoughtsponge wrote:I'm not terribly worried about the size of the city. In my view, I'll be spending most of the time studying on campus or at home--what little time remains will be devoted to my wife and shiba. :mrgreen:

On another note, the wait is absolutely devastating. If not for my job, I'd be a certified looney.
My wife was the principle reason why Moscow/U of I wasn't a fit for us. There's not a lot of decent paying employment in Moscow, nor is there much to do for her while you're in school. If you're married, take your wife on the visit. I wouldn't wish Moscow on anyone's wife, but that's just me.

thoughtsponge

New

Post by thoughtsponge » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Not much concern on that front then! It's very likely that my wife will continue her undergraduate degree at U of I.

For us it will be an upgrade of sorts; we both attended Humboldt State University.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JRBaldauf

New

Post by JRBaldauf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:19 am

UofI's deposits are due tomorrow. Has anyone decided Moscow was for them?

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm

robocall12 wrote:Seriously? Moscow is that small? I am admitted there and you are worrying me. I will visit before committing of course. Was it a Super Walmart that shut down or just one of those old small ones?
I lived in Moscow for 6 years (while I worked at Idaho Law), which I think puts me in a minority (possibly of 1) on here so I figured I'd weigh in. The Moscow Wal-Mart didn't go out of business. It closed because Wal-Mart wanted to open a Super Wal-Mart in the area. Pullman and Moscow are so close together that they are essentially a single market (about 40,000 people between the two cities). For example, "the mall" is in Moscow while the big stadium seating movie theater is in Pullman (although I believe the Moscow theater has recently been renovated). The whole process took like 10 years, with Moscow's city council bouncing between "We love Wal-Mart!" and "Wal-Mart is Evil!". They ended up putting it in Pullman, and last I heard, they were going to turn the Moscow space into a distribution/warehouse facility or something.

People should definitely visit if they'r wavering on deciding on UofI. Moscow is actually a really quaint, bucolic town. Not for everyone, but great for many. Moscow actually has a thriving arts community. The main university enrolls more, as in raw numbers not percentages, National Merit Scholars than any other school in the PacNW after UWashington so it's definitely not some backwater directional school. The law professors are top notch and really care about their students. Very few law students in the nation will get to experience what Idaho Law students get with respect to the closeness of the interactions with their professors. After the UW/BYU/Utah/Lewis & Clark/Oregons of the region, I don't think there's a better school for the money in the PacNW/Mountain West.

thoughtsponge

New

Post by thoughtsponge » Thu May 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Sadly, I've been put on standby. With any luck, my recently updated resume and recommendation letter will stand-out when they start filling the empty spaces.

Those two additions, or the periodic nagging over the phone I have decided to conduct every two weeks. The admissions officer is at the point of not even asking who's on the phone; She recognizes my voice now.

thoughtsponge

New

Post by thoughtsponge » Wed May 23, 2012 5:30 pm

As I understand it, the admissions committee is finalizing the class roster this week or next. I'm entirely hopeful that there will be a few empty spots for those of us on the waitlist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawbound1122

New

Post by Lawbound1122 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Oh how I hope! I was waitlisted 4/17/12... Not sure how they decide who does & does not get a spot

jolley80

New

Post by jolley80 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 am

I am an upcoming 3L at the U of I and am happy to give my opinion on the school and Moscow if any of you want to contact me about my experience thus far. PM me if you want my email address.

filmoreslice

New

Post by filmoreslice » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Jolley:
To the best of your knowledge does U of I have any OCI or similar for SA positions in Boise (other than the 3rd year in Boise option)? If I go there, my husband will continue to live in Boise so I'd really like to be able to come home for summers/breaks and not miss out on SA opportunities.

Also, do you have any thoughts on how competitive is the Boise 3rd year program to get into? I've heard they only take 30 students a year for it.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”