Syracuse c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jimbola

Re: Syracuse c/o 2015

Postby Jimbola » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Domiii wrote:
Jimbola wrote:
benburns214 wrote:Those of you who got accepted... would you mind posting your GPA, LSAT, and when you applied?

Thanks!!

GPA: 3.67
LSAT: 158, 156

Applied: 1/10/12

Oh...now I feel physically ill...I applied on 1/5/10 that and haven't gotten anything yet...

Don't I have an "in" so my app was possibly sent to the top of the pile because of my connection.

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:53 pm

i just got the tshirt acceptance packet but could not find any scholarship info in the packet. does this mean i have no scholarship offer? or will the offers be sent out separate from the packet?

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:06 pm

JD Janitor wrote:i just got the tshirt acceptance packet but could not find any scholarship info in the packet. does this mean i have no scholarship offer? or will the offers be sent out separate from the packet?

Separate. Look through your old email for something about their scholarship/financial aid process

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Jimbola wrote:
Domiii wrote:
Jimbola wrote:
benburns214 wrote:Those of you who got accepted... would you mind posting your GPA, LSAT, and when you applied?

Thanks!!

GPA: 3.67
LSAT: 158, 156

Applied: 1/10/12

Oh...now I feel physically ill...I applied on 1/5/10 that and haven't gotten anything yet...

Don't I have an "in" so my app was possibly sent to the top of the pile because of my connection.

I'd stress at the end of February. Don't stress right now.

Domiii

Postby Domiii » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Phew. Okay.

I'm trying not to stress too much, but these applications are really driving my emotions lately.

DirtyJers

Postby DirtyJers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:27 am

Just got accepted on 1/24 (applied on 12/29), 155/3.53... Got the t shirt, but also have some worries like some of the rest:
- The living sitch (the pricey "new apartments" vs. cheaper off-campus)
- The cold..I live in NJ so I don't know if Syracuse is as brutally cold as I hear
- The price, of course
Is the 'Cuse's national rep, as well as the highly regarded joint-degree programs worth it??

surfer

Postby surfer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:27 am

Here's a picture of the law library:

Not as cool as the Hall of Languages:

But the campus as a whole does look very nice.

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:38 pm

DirtyJers wrote:Just got accepted on 1/24 (applied on 12/29), 155/3.53... Got the t shirt, but also have some worries like some of the rest:
- The cold..I live in NJ so I don't know if Syracuse is as brutally cold as I hear
- The price, of course
Is the 'Cuse's national rep, as well as the highly regarded joint-degree programs worth it??

I think if you are not ok with accepting the possibility that you could be stuck in central New York for a significant part of your life you may want to re-think Syracuse. And for some people being stuck in central New York would be quite nice.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:52 pm

DirtyJers wrote:Just got accepted on 1/24 (applied on 12/29), 155/3.53... Got the t shirt, but also have some worries like some of the rest:
- The price, of course

Answering a few of your questions:
* off campus living at SU is definitely the way to go. There are amazing huge apartments that can be had just a few blocks from the law school, 3BR shares go for about $1200 / mo, or $400 per roommate, and that's for the nicest places. Other off-campus 3BRs go for as little as $700. Most of these places have hardwood floors and a fireplace. You do have to eat the cost of paying summer rent. Make sure to take pictures of *everything* when you move in, if you have photos the sleazy landlords won't try to keep your security deposit (unless you trash the place.)
* Syracuse is really cold. You get used to it after a couple of years, but there's no sugarcoating it. Buy some waterproof boots and a giant down coat, and you should be fine. Just make sure that whatever you rent has included snow removal and it really should be ok. There's a few campus buses so you don't have to walk around too much in winter. You will need a car if you decide to go live there.
* to my knowledge SU gives really generous financial aid, see what you can negotiate with them.

DirtyJers

Postby DirtyJers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for the advice!!

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:41 pm

p.s. a good website to check out for many options is orangehousing.com

if you want to go more upscale, Sutton realty owns the Lofts on Willow and the Franklin Square Lofts downtown. of those two, Franklin square is the better deal, and is very nice, but you would have to drive to campus every day... but those are nice digs!

paradox

Postby paradox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:44 pm

neimanmarxist - -

Your post indicates that you became a member of this site in 2009. Are you a law student at Syracuse University School of Law?

If so, how do you like SU?

What can you say about the tighter curve that the school implemented this semester for the 1L's?

Thanks.

Lawer101

Postby Lawer101 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:06 pm

anyone hear anything this week? I'm expecting something soon....like two days ago!

Mr Cooper

Postby Mr Cooper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 pm

I know several 1L and 2Ls at SU Law, some liking it more than others. But from what I've learned from them and from information I've gathered about the school, this a school that you generally want to avoid. The tuition is ridiculous, they're stingy on grant money, and job prospects are terrible. The law school doesn't have nearly the national reputation as does the undergrad. The dean told the incoming 1Ls at orientation that the majority of SU law grads (who can find jobs) end up working in Syracuse or within the central NY area. Buffalo has Buffalo on lockdown, Albany has Albany, Syracuse has Syracuse. + Cornell grads who would either want to work upstate or cant break into NYC. Very few SU grads make it NYC.

There is no reason to go to SU. It is a lower-tiered school in the most over-saturated legal market in the country. And for the price they're charging, its insane. (Of course this could be said for most of the law schools in the country). The weather has been mild this year so far but normally it is a huge drag to deal with. Excluding people from the area who want to remain there and those with a huge scholly, no one should go to SU law. Lets just put it this way....the only reason 90% of their students are there is because they couldn't break 160 on the LSAT. Don't be lured in by SU's new law building. It does nothing to change job prospects and if anything it gives them an excuse to increase tuition. If you're from NY state and can't get into a NYC school, go to Buffalo and get instate.

Domiii

Postby Domiii » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Got my acceptance today. :)

I had a 156 and 3.36.

Lawer101

Postby Lawer101 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Domiii wrote:Got my acceptance today. :)

I had a 156 and 3.36.

congrats!!!

Domiii

Postby Domiii » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 am

Lawer101 wrote:
Domiii wrote:Got my acceptance today. :)

I had a 156 and 3.36.

congrats!!!

Thank you! :D

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 am

Mr Cooper wrote:I know several 1L and 2Ls at SU Law, some liking it more than others. But from what I've learned from them and from information I've gathered about the school, this a school that you generally want to avoid. The tuition is ridiculous, they're stingy on grant money, and job prospects are terrible. The law school doesn't have nearly the national reputation as does the undergrad. The dean told the incoming 1Ls at orientation that the majority of SU law grads (who can find jobs) end up working in Syracuse or within the central NY area. Buffalo has Buffalo on lockdown, Albany has Albany, Syracuse has Syracuse. + Cornell grads who would either want to work upstate or cant break into NYC. Very few SU grads make it NYC.

There is no reason to go to SU. It is a lower-tiered school in the most over-saturated legal market in the country. And for the price they're charging, its insane. (Of course this could be said for most of the law schools in the country). The weather has been mild this year so far but normally it is a huge drag to deal with. Excluding people from the area who want to remain there and those with a huge scholly, no one should go to SU law. Lets just put it this way....the only reason 90% of their students are there is because they couldn't break 160 on the LSAT. Don't be lured in by SU's new law building. It does nothing to change job prospects and if anything it gives them an excuse to increase tuition. If you're from NY state and can't get into a NYC school, go to Buffalo and get instate.

While there is content here worth discussing, please take it to ANOTHER thread/section of the forums. This thread is meant for discussion of acceptances, denials, and waitlists at syracuse. Not trolling over the merits of whether to attend.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:45 am

z0rk wrote:
Mr Cooper wrote:I know several 1L and 2Ls at SU Law, some liking it more than others. But from what I've learned from them and from information I've gathered about the school, this a school that you generally want to avoid. The tuition is ridiculous, they're stingy on grant money, and job prospects are terrible. The law school doesn't have nearly the national reputation as does the undergrad. The dean told the incoming 1Ls at orientation that the majority of SU law grads (who can find jobs) end up working in Syracuse or within the central NY area. Buffalo has Buffalo on lockdown, Albany has Albany, Syracuse has Syracuse. + Cornell grads who would either want to work upstate or cant break into NYC. Very few SU grads make it NYC.

While there is content here worth discussing, please take it to ANOTHER thread/section of the forums. This thread is meant for discussion of acceptances, denials, and waitlists at syracuse. Not trolling over the merits of whether to attend.

Comments like this, and responses to said comment, should absolutely be in this thread, as they are in many other threads. The debate over a school's value is totally appropriate in this thread.

Lawer101

Postby Lawer101 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:52 am

tennisking88 wrote:
z0rk wrote:

Comments like this, and responses to said comment, should absolutely be in this thread, as they are in many other threads. The debate over a school's value is totally appropriate in this thread.

+1

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 am

Lawer101 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
z0rk wrote:

+1

I mean, really those comments are explicitly not supposed to go here.
From the sticky two posts above this thread:
"This forum is called "Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists". It is clearly for people who wish to discuss acceptances, denials, and waitlists. If you're sharing news or looking for news on an acceptance, denial, or waitlist, then this forum is for you.

If you've already been accepted and shared the details of that, and want to discuss or weigh your options, you should try to have those discussions in the "Choosing a Law School" forum or threads dedicated to already-admitted students. You will probably get much better responses there.

Discussion between applicants is fine, but this forum is NOT the place to argue or debate which law schools are worth attending and under what circumstances. The threads here typically involve people who have already decided to apply and are seeking or sharing news on the state of their applications. You and them and everyone else are all free to discuss whether or not attending is a good idea in the appropriate forum, not here.

Starting or perpetuating arguments here about whether a school is worth attending may be deemed trolling and get you banned.

Lastly, to everyone who has applied and is seeking information on the status of their application: This is the forum for you, but I implore you to read and post in the other forums and fully weigh your options both before and after you're accepted to a school. It is your responsibility to yourself and your future to be fully educated about what you are doing, so please have those discussions in the appropriate forums before committing to attending a school.

Questions or concerns may be posted here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132921"

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:04 am

Ok that's fair. I still think some ppl just "don't wanna hear it". Like, are ya really mad at me breaking TLS etiquette? Or do you just not want to hear a point of view that conflicts with what you think? Something to think about.

Edit: I'm an applicant too, btw. Was admitted a few weeks ago.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:19 pm

paradox wrote:neimanmarxist - -

Your post indicates that you became a member of this site in 2009. Are you a law student at Syracuse University School of Law?

If so, how do you like SU?

What can you say about the tighter curve that the school implemented this semester for the 1L's?

Thanks.

Hi Paradox,
Sorry I did not see this earlier. I don't actually go to SU law- but I'm familiar with SU and the city of Syracuse for other reasons. I like the SU campus and the community and I actually really like the city of Syracuse.
I'm afraid I can't speak to the tighter curve that the school implemented for 1Ls since I don't go to SU. I met some SU Law students at my job this summer (in Syracuse.) They seemed to like the school a lot. Many of them had plans to stay in Upstate NY for jobs after graduation.
PM me if you have any questions about living in Syracuse :)

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Got the acceptance package in the mail today.... nice personalized acceptance letter. Plus a T-Shirt!! No-one on the corner have swagga like us

paradox

Postby paradox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Ben,

Congratulations on your acceptance.

The SU Law admissions office does a nice job making the accepted students feel welcomed.

Where else have you been accepted and where does SU rank with you among your acceptances.

Good luck.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”