Syracuse c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr Cooper

New

Re: Syracuse c/o 2015

Post by Mr Cooper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:08 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
Mr Cooper wrote:FWIW, Syracuse is about to sued by former students for fraudulent employment data.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/twenty-m ... s#comments

What's really troubling is I applied to two schools on that list... :!:

SU and Cardozo. :shock:

I think Cardozo is a good school if you want Industry in NYC. Still, I am beginning to think if I don't get in at Wash U off the WL, or in at Minnesota, I'll just sit this one out.
Dude, just sit it out and retake if you really want it. If you get in off the waitlist you're most likely paying sticker. Minimal debt is the way to go.

disconnected

New

Post by disconnected » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 pm

I just ordered some 0L summer reading from Amazon.com
1 "Contracts: Examples and Explanations" Blum, Brian A.; Paperback; $7.28 In Stock
1 "Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience: By Students, for Students" Miller, Robert H.; Paperback; $14.41
1 "Getting To Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams" Richard Michael Fischl; Paperback; $24.21
1 "One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School" Turow, Scott; Paperback; $11.16
1 "Planet Law School II: What You Need to Know (Before You Go), But Didn't Know to Ask... and No One Else Will Tell You, Second Edition" Falcon, Atticus; Paperback; $15.92

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Mr Cooper wrote:
Mr Cooper wrote:FWIW, Syracuse is about to sued by former students for fraudulent employment data.

I think Cardozo is a good school if you want Industry in NYC. Still, I am beginning to think if I don't get in at Wash U off the WL, or in at Minnesota, I'll just sit this one out.
Dude, just sit it out and retake if you really want it. If you get in off the waitlist you're most likely paying sticker. Minimal debt is the way to go.
Yeah, I'm just admitting it to myself now.... Columbia and Michigan will most probably deny, as I am below LSAT median for both. I feel good about Minnesota, and even Wash U off the WL. But you are right, debt is a huge concern. I'm not interested in PI, only firm or industry. Still, I'm going to wait out for Wash U and hope Minnesota gives me some dough. AFA Syracuse goes, I'll probably withdraw very soon unless they offer a full ride, which they won't do. They want two, that's TWO, non-refundable $500 deposits. Can you believe that sh!t!!?? Insane...

Anyway, good luck to all. I'll post back with my scholly offer, when it comes, and date of withdrawal.

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Syracuse won't match my Hofstra offer so I will most likely withdraw. Even though I enjoyed my visit and think this would be a great place to study law for 3 years, it just doesn't make financial sense compared to my other offers. I am very concerned with debt and job placement (I only want big law in NYC or DE) and I think my best option at this point is to ride the waitlists and retake the LSAT in June :(

jamesm722

New

Post by jamesm722 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:14 am

Who did you talk to to negotiate scholarships? Quinnipiac gave me 35k a year whereas Syracuse gave me 5k

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am

jamesm722 wrote:Who did you talk to to negotiate scholarships? Quinnipiac gave me 35k a year whereas Syracuse gave me 5k
Send an e-mail to Nikki Laubenstein (Director of Admissions) and she will take your request to the committee. She will respond within a few days. It never hurts to ask, the worse they can say is no. Good luck.

Mr Cooper

New

Post by Mr Cooper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Mr Cooper wrote:

Yeah, I'm just admitting it to myself now.... Columbia and Michigan will most probably deny, as I am below LSAT median for both. I feel good about Minnesota, and even Wash U off the WL. But you are right, debt is a huge concern. I'm not interested in PI, only firm or industry. Still, I'm going to wait out for Wash U and hope Minnesota gives me some dough. AFA Syracuse goes, I'll probably withdraw very soon unless they offer a full ride, which they won't do. They want two, that's TWO, non-refundable $500 deposits. Can you believe that sh!t!!?? Insane...

Anyway, good luck to all. I'll post back with my scholly offer, when it comes, and date of withdrawal.
I believe though that while the security deposit is non-refundable, if you do enroll it does go towards your tuition. That's nice, but considering its less than 1% of tuition......

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Mr Cooper wrote:I believe though that while the security deposit is non-refundable, if you do enroll it does go towards your tuition. That's nice, but considering its less than 1% of tuition......
Yeah, that doesn't matter to me much. They want you to shell out a thousand dollars for a seat at a 96th ranked school. Hell, many top 30 schools ask for one $300 deposit. I think Syracuse is insane. Seriously, who cares if it goes to tuition when that is money better spent on travel to the school and initial living expenses. Like I said, unless Syracuse hands out a very generous scholly, I'm out. I'm out anyway...F -it. I do wish everyone luck, though. Syracuse is a great undergrad school and they seem to be paying more attention to the law school. I'm just not that enthused with their salary/employment numbers or how they have the balls to ask for two $500 deposits. If Syracuse Law was a house in my neighborhood, I'd egg it.

EDIT: $11,000 a year. Insulting. Withdrew. Good luck, all.

disconnected

New

Post by disconnected » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

If you were a student in my class, I would take you behind the wood shed and you would get a swift beating. I have met people like you before in a restaurant, nickel and dimeing the menu items, then leaving a small tip. I am glad I don't have to hear your whine in my section next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:06 pm

disconnected wrote:If you were a student in my class, I would take you behind the wood shed and you would get a swift beating. I have met people like you before in a restaurant, nickel and dimeing the menu items, then leaving a small tip. I am glad I don't have to hear your whine in my section next year.
:shock:

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:09 pm

disconnected wrote:If you were a student in my class, I would take you behind the wood shed and you would get a swift beating. I have met people like you before in a restaurant, nickel and dimeing the menu items, then leaving a small tip. I am glad I don't have to hear your whine in my section next year.
The thought of some people being financially crippled with 120k+ in non-dischargeable debt and a [edit: border-line] TTT degree, after being repeatedly warned, gives me a strange sense of pleasure.
Last edited by PitchO20 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Disconnected is basically a dumbass. However, I really do hope he makes a good living and has the ability to pay off that crippling debt he is incurring. I worry about the people who incur tens of thousands of dollars in debt to make about 60K, and see no issue with it. The problem is it's never more than unsubstantiated bravado that brings them to the conclusion they will have nothing to worry about. Meanwhile, the taxpayers are left holding the check for a bill initiated by a moron.

Again, good luck to all. Hope your cycles go well. Syracuse is definitely not the school for me at their price tag.

disconnected

New

Post by disconnected » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:20 pm

PitchO20 wrote:
disconnected wrote: The thought of some people being financially crippled with 120k+ in non-dischargeable debt and a TTT degree, after being repeatedly warned, gives me a strange sense of pleasure.
Syracuse is not a TTT school, it is tier 2. The debt should not be an issue. If you make $60k, then you only pay back about $36k.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tward

New

Post by tward » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Disconnected is basically a dumbass. However, I really do hope he makes a good living and has the ability to pay off that crippling debt he is incurring. I worry about the people who incur tens of thousands of dollars in debt to make about 60K, and see no issue with it. The problem is it's never more than unsubstantiated bravado that brings them to the conclusion they will have nothing to worry about. Meanwhile, the taxpayers are left holding the check for a bill initiated by a moron.

Again, good luck to all. Hope your cycles go well. Syracuse is definitely not the school for me at their price tag.

That is what I tried to say earlier in this string and was called infantile. Can't say they weren't warned Barca. Good luck to you in your legal pursuits. As for me, I'm going no frills in the southwest. :roll:

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 pm

disconnected wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:
disconnected wrote: The thought of some people being financially crippled with 120k+ in non-dischargeable debt and a TTT degree, after being repeatedly warned, gives me a strange sense of pleasure.
Syracuse is not a TTT school, it is tier 2. The debt should not be an issue. If you make $60k, then you only pay back about $36k.
Gotta be trolling.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:31 pm

disconnected wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:

Does Syracuse have LRAP?

Nope.

Has Obama's loan repayment plan been initiated? And what exactly is it and how can it help you?

If you’ve got both a Direct federal loan (a loan taken directly from the government) and a guaranteed federal loan (a similar federal loan except it originated at a bank) you can lower your total cost by combining the loans into a Special Consolidation Loan—it’ll lower your monthly payment on your federal loans that originated at a bank by .25% (but not loans taken directly from the government). As was the case already, all the loans can be discounted an additional .25% if you enroll in automatic payments from your checking account.

If you qualify for the income-based repayment program, your payment cap will be lowered from 15% to 10% of your discretionary income and your balance will be waived after 20 years instead of 25.

So, not to agitate, but I really am serious in wanting to know how your $100K+++ debt will turn into $36K..? Seriously, not a flame post.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm

disconnected wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:

Does Syracuse have LRAP?

Nope.

Has Obama's loan repayment plan been initiated? And what exactly is it and how can it help you?

If you’ve got both a Direct federal loan (a loan taken directly from the government) and a guaranteed federal loan (a similar federal loan except it originated at a bank) you can lower your total cost by combining the loans into a Special Consolidation Loan—it’ll lower your monthly payment on your federal loans that originated at a bank by .25% (but not loans taken directly from the government). As was the case already, all the loans can be discounted an additional .25% if you enroll in automatic payments from your checking account.

If you qualify for the income-based repayment program, your payment cap will be lowered from 15% to 10% of your discretionary income and your balance will be waived after 20 years instead of 25.

So, not to agitate, but I really am serious in wanting to know how your $100K+++ debt will turn into $36K..? Seriously, not a flame post.

They do offer a public service for 10 years deal. Isn't that LRAP?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:20 pm

That is LRAP in form, but truncated for 10 year cycle. What are the stips?

My info: http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservic ... ml#pi_lrap

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resour ... hool-lraps

Plus, I never saw anything on their site...of course I didn't look that hard because I'm not into PI. I'll go look now.

jamesm722

New

Post by jamesm722 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Sherlock1708 wrote:
jamesm722 wrote:Who did you talk to to negotiate scholarships? Quinnipiac gave me 35k a year whereas Syracuse gave me 5k
Send an e-mail to Nikki Laubenstein (Director of Admissions) and she will take your request to the committee. She will respond within a few days. It never hurts to ask, the worse they can say is no. Good luck.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try to it and see. I was good financially until I was medically discharged from the army reserves after being severely injured with them. But that's life. Hope Syracuse can help, won't get my hopes up

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:That is LRAP in form, but truncated for 10 year cycle. What are the stips?

My info: http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservic ... ml#pi_lrap

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resour ... hool-lraps

Plus, I never saw anything on their site...of course I didn't look that hard because I'm not into PI. I'll go look now.
I never did much research on it. I found it out when I was at my visit to Syracuse last cycle. I met with a financial aid lady and she laid out the options.

I promptly got my ass back home to Florida and studied my butt off for a retake. Well worth it.

Mr Cooper

New

Post by Mr Cooper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:39 pm

PitchO20 wrote:
The thought of some people being financially crippled with 120k+ in non-dischargeable debt and a [edit: border-line] TTT degree, after being repeatedly warned, gives me a strange sense of pleasure.
It is ridiculous. Anyone attending a school this expensive without a significant scholarship and this poorly rated is insane. Don't you people realize that by incurring this level of debt, odds are strongly against you to not only pay it back, but to ever buy a home or manage a comfortable lifestyle. Whatever, though. They've been given the facts so no one can play the "I didn't know any better" card in three years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tward

New

Post by tward » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 am

Mr Cooper wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:
It is ridiculous. Anyone attending a school this expensive without a significant scholarship and this poorly rated is insane. Don't you people realize that by incurring this level of debt, odds are strongly against you to not only pay it back, but to ever buy a home or manage a comfortable lifestyle. Whatever, though. They've been given the facts so no one can play the "I didn't know any better" card in three years.
Yeah like all the whiners suing NYLS, PACE, Wiedner, and the other schools claiming they didn't know. The loan money is NOT free money. Almost anyone can borrow the whole freight. Law schools love it cause they get their tuition and can keep raising tuition. But the whole nine yards plus high interest has to get paid back no matter what. No bankruptcy. No excuses. Even if no job. :shock:

jamesm722

New

Post by jamesm722 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 am

i tried to negotiate my scholarship and they told me that they only give it to those above their median LSAT and GPA. I was above both so I don't know what's going on. And they didn't seem to care about the other schools offering me money.

That being said, the director of admissions is quick to respond and very friendly...though i'd rather have rude and giving me some money

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Hey has anyone out there sent in Syracuse's intent to register form online and paid the seat deposit? If so did they email you to confirm that they got it?

disconnected

New

Post by disconnected » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 pm

I plan on depositing on Thursday afternoon. I can post my experience then.

A few thoughts...

The class schedules are available for Fall 2012 and Spring 2013.
I went ahead and applied for the PLUS loans and did the entrance interview for them.
I have started looking for housing online at orangehousing.com
There is a lot prep work to be done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”