Syracuse c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tadlbb

Bronze

Re: Syracuse c/o 2015

Post by tadlbb » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:48 am

Got WL'd today and I think it mightve been yp, just based upon my numbers vs. SU's. I'm still interested in attending though. Anyone have any experiences getting off of the waitlist at SU?

disconnected

New

Post by disconnected » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Does anyone know the agree between the law school student and a place to workout on campus? Monthly fee? Included in tuition? Thanks.

paradox

New

Post by paradox » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Many SU law students work out at the East Area YMCA or Planet Fitness because there are more available machines than at the SU facility.

HabeusAwesomus

New

Post by HabeusAwesomus » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Maybe this is just paranoia talking...I just submitted my Syracuse app today, around 3pm (yes, yes late, I know). But on LSAC it still just says "Transmitted" and a status of "Not requested by law school." While I'm pretty sure the process is automatic, every other school I've applied to had their CAS request in after a few hours.

So did I do something wrong? Or does the transition from "Transmitted" to requested talk a bit longer than I was conditioned to?

Thanks!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
HabeusAwesomus wrote:Maybe this is just paranoia talking...I just submitted my Syracuse app today, around 3pm (yes, yes late, I know). But on LSAC it still just says "Transmitted" and a status of "Not requested by law school." While I'm pretty sure the process is automatic, every other school I've applied to had their CAS request in after a few hours.

So did I do something wrong? Or does the transition from "Transmitted" to requested talk a bit longer than I was conditioned to?

Thanks!
Calm down... Itll be there tomorow! .... I think the school has to request the CAS report...3pm people arent doing too much work, end of day!
Don't worry. I remember that it took my app 3 days to go from transmitted to complete on LSAC. This only happened with Syracuse, not sure why this happens with them and not the other schools.

Chueyx1289

New

Post by Chueyx1289 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 am

HabeusAwesomus wrote:Maybe this is just paranoia talking...I just submitted my Syracuse app today, around 3pm (yes, yes late, I know). But on LSAC it still just says "Transmitted" and a status of "Not requested by law school." While I'm pretty sure the process is automatic, every other school I've applied to had their CAS request in after a few hours.

Thanks!
My application too forever for them to receive let alone review and decide might have to do with the amount of applicants. In any case, good luck man.

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Is anyone else going the Admitted Students' Day on Friday? Does anyone know the dress code?

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Sherlock1708 wrote:Is anyone else going the Admitted Students' Day on Friday? Does anyone know the dress code?
Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to any of the Admitted Student Days. Can you fill us in here and let those of us who can't make it know what we missed?

Also, I would assume nothing super dressy. Don't look like a scrub, but I'm sure jeans would be fine. Remember, it's not an interview, but at the same time, it'd be nice to leave a good first impression!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC KID

Bronze

Post by NYC KID » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Got my financial aid info today. Syracuse was generous, but I'm still waiting on scholarship info.

Chueyx1289

New

Post by Chueyx1289 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 pm

NYC KID wrote:Got my financial aid info today. Syracuse was generous, but I'm still waiting on scholarship info.
I just sent in my financial aid application. I'm very nervous about it.

bombasty

New

Post by bombasty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 am

NYC KID wrote:Got my financial aid info today. Syracuse was generous, but I'm still waiting on scholarship info.
E-mail or snail-mail?

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 am

got my financial aid info via email yesterday...not enough to convince me to attend syracuse over rutgers camden :o

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC KID

Bronze

Post by NYC KID » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 am

bombasty wrote:
E-mail or snail-mail?
E-mail saying to check MySlice

quovo

New

Post by quovo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 pm

anyone go to admitted student's day today?

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:52 pm

quovo wrote:anyone go to admitted student's day today?
I went. This was the first admitted students' day for me so I don't have anything in which to compare it, but I thought it was a nice event. Very organized and they kept things moving. I thought Prof Turnipseed's Property 1L class was great. He seemed approachable and that he really enjoyed teaching.

I was very surprised how many parents were in attendance. There were 47 prospective students and only a handful were without parents.

Also, some people wore suits, others wore business casual and a few wore jeans. It was casual so there really isn't a need to dress up, but it never hurts to look professional.

My overall impression of the school was favorable and I will most likely deposit here. It seems like if you take advantage of all the school has to offer and you want to excel, you can. I asked the Assistant Dean of Professional Development if big law is a realistic option at Syracuse and she said it is if you are in the top 10% of your class, but this is pretty much a given at a school of this ranking.

If anyone has specific questions, you can message me if you like.

paradox

New

Post by paradox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Sherlock1708

1. Did they say what the tuition increase will be next year? I was told by a 1L that next year tuition and required fees will be $47,000 (yikes !!)

2. Did the SU presenters comment on the new mandatory grading curve that created a record number of academic casualties and withdrawals after the 1st semester? The 1L I spoke to indicated that only 1 "A" can be awarded for each 20 students but that 15% of the class must get a final grade of below "C".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:03 pm

paradox wrote:Sherlock1708

1. Did they say what the tuition increase will be next year? I was told by a 1L that next year tuition and required fees will be $47,000 (yikes !!)

2. Did the SU presenters comment on the new mandatory grading curve that created a record number of academic casualties and withdrawals after the 1st semester? The 1L I spoke to indicated that only 1 "A" can be awarded for each 20 students but that 15% of the class must get a final grade of below "C".
Hmmm... No one mentioned anything about an increase in tuition... although I suppose it will happen. I know as it stands right now, that tuition, fees, COL will be around $62,000. I will most likely deposit here, but not without an increase in scholarship money. Even with the $60,000 (total for all 3 years), I will have to take out around $120,000. In order to pay this off in the standard 10 years, that will be around $1,400 per month... assuming I even have a job that would make this feasible. The Assistant Dean of Career Services said you need to definitely be in the top 10% of your class in order to get a job in big law (where paying $1,400 a month would be possible). I e-mailed her today to see how many big law firms participate in OCI, and she said around 3-5 firms. So chances of big law, without connections, are slim. But I did talk to a student who secured a big law summer associate position, so it's not impossible. Not that big law is everything, but I don't see how one expects to pay off all this debt without it.

A lot of people inquired about the curve and professors are ALLOWED to give 5% of the class an A, 10% of the class an A-, and with the majority of the class receiving a 2.9 - 3.1. So yes, this means that 15% of the class must receive below a 2.9. One student says it depends on the professor. In one class, this student said that the professor chose to give zero A's and gave out 5 F's. I think the class you are referring to in regards to the 1 A grade is in the legal writing section. The legal writing section is around 18 students and yes, only one person receives an A. (This is the same way my undergrad graded the mandatory expos writing class that all freshmen had to take and it sucked). Another thing I just remembered, the 2L that was explaining the legal writing section said that you remain in this section all year round and take all of your classes with the 17 other people in your section.

Despite the negativity of this post, I really did enjoy Syracuse. I think it has a lot to offer and outcompetes its peer schools because of its large alumni base. It seems like a lot of students enroll in the JD/MPA program and the MPA program is considered one of the top programs in the country. However, I'm not sure I would attend here at sticker price, unless your parents are paying for your education or you definitely have a way to pay back the debt.

jamesm722

New

Post by jamesm722 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 pm

I submitted it January 23, took another LSAT in February and scored a 159, first one was a 157. Still haven't heard anything, hope to hear soon.

Really want the counterterrorism law program, already an Army Officer in Inteligence

It's my #1 choice still

disconnected

New

Post by disconnected » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 am

What is available financial aid wise?
I was thinking with a Bachelors degree, that for grad school it is only loans?
I got $20,500 of unsubsidized loans.
What about the other $41,500?
PLUS loans?

NYC KID

Bronze

Post by NYC KID » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 am

disconnected wrote:
PLUS loans?
The $20,500 loan plus a $4,000 grant, but I was expecting nothing at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Chueyx1289

New

Post by Chueyx1289 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:23 am

NYC KID wrote:
disconnected wrote:
PLUS loans?
The $20,500 loan plus a $4,000 grant, but I was expecting nothing at all.
I got the same and was also expecting nothing because i did my application late.. Did you hand in your application late?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:05 pm

I went complete on the 16th....anyone care to guess when I might hear something?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:56 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:I went complete on the 16th....anyone care to guess when I might hear something?
Nevermind. Just got my acceptance package in the mail!

Really cool t-shirt... and sticker. But, alas, no fin-aid info..... when the hell will I hear about that? In my packet, they state "fin-aid on rolling basis."

jamesm722

New

Post by jamesm722 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:47 pm

i just got in this week. I"m waiting too. I believe fin aid usually comes separately ass one office is admissions and one does fin aid. All my other schools were like that. I'm just hoping for something.

by the way, how do you know when you went complete?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”