Richardson School of Law (University of Hawaii) 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KibblesnBitts

Richardson School of Law (University of Hawaii) 2015

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Come on, I can't be the only one who was curious enough to give it a shot.

law chihuahua

Re: Richardson School of Law (University of Hawaii) 2015

Postby law chihuahua » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I had almost finished my application when I realized the PS had to be 500 words. I don't think I'll be able to get around to cutting mine down anytime soon. Would love to live in Hawaii though. :D

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:51 pm

law chihuahua wrote:I had almost finished my application when I realized the PS had to be 500 words. I don't think I'll be able to get around to cutting mine down anytime soon. Would love to live in Hawaii though. :D

Yeah that tripped me up as well. I decided to apply when discussing with my pre-law advisor about the bleak prospects of future lawyers. I jokingly said, "If the world's going to hell, I may as well spend 3 years in Hawaii and try to find a job there, at least I'll be living in paradise." He laughed and said, "That's one of the best and funniest responses I've ever had discussing law with a student, why not send an application there?"

So I did.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Everyone seems to think that Hawaii is s paradise, but really it's like a third world country with worse crime. Be sure to visit before accepting.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Opie wrote:Everyone seems to think that Hawaii is s paradise, but really it's like a third world country with worse crime. Be sure to visit before accepting.

Point 2. Prelaw advisor also said to ensure my visitation to each law school I seriously consider going. Worst case scenario, I treat my senior-year undergraduate self to a trip to Hawaii. But realistically, I'll probably end up going somewhere else and not visit.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Lol, the crime rate isn't as bad as you may think.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:15 am

I got accepted last week. I'm pretty much in shock as I'm from New Jersey and have absolutely no connections to Hawaii. Given its very small class size and enrollment, I'm seriously starting to consider uprooting 5,000 miles away...

BeerMaker

Postby BeerMaker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Okay, the person that said Hawaii is like a third world country has obviously never been there. Not only does Honolulu rank #2 in safest cities in the US, it is top five for happiest. The island of Oahu is strikingly clean all the way around. What an dumb post!

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 am

KibblesnBitts wrote:I got accepted last week. I'm pretty much in shock as I'm from New Jersey and have absolutely no connections to Hawaii. Given its very small class size and enrollment, I'm seriously starting to consider uprooting 5,000 miles away...

When did you apply and go complete?

Congrats!

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Hawaii is not like a third world country... I've been there twice, not just to the tourist hotspots, and it really is like paradise. Any place with a lot of tourists the crime rate gets hugely inflated because crime rate is calculated on a per resident basis.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:I got accepted last week. I'm pretty much in shock as I'm from New Jersey and have absolutely no connections to Hawaii. Given its very small class size and enrollment, I'm seriously starting to consider uprooting 5,000 miles away...

When did you apply and go complete?

Congrats!

Thanks! I applied the Monday of the week of Thanksgiving, and I went complete the date I got accepted on December 6.

Edited because apparently I speak as if my second language is English....
Last edited by KibblesnBitts on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

czar0914

Postby czar0914 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:41 am

Well, I live in Hawaii and have been to the law school at UH Manoa before. It is really small and the library is kind of disappointing. It has been on my mind for a while whether I should apply for it or not. I am a resident and my husband goes to school here, but we plan to move to mainland after his graduation. sigh, it is a tough decision.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Also applied. Grew up in Hawaii, and considering you should go where you want to practice, had to throw in an application.

I thought it funny to apply strictly to t14...then Hawaii. Oh well, Aloha?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:58 pm

None of you are getting in if you are not from the islands. It's rank is way mis-leading; do not get your hopes up.

mieri

Postby mieri » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:10 am

Being from Hawaii and having gone to UHM for undergrad, I thought about applying. For all those who think about applying, I strongly suggest visiting the campus and not living on campus but living within walking distance. It's ridiculously hard to get parking if you don't have a parking pass (and those aren't that numerous) and there's a rape in the dorms about once a month.

But, if you're going to live in and practice in Hawaii, it's a good school to look at, given the opportunities you'll have. It's really the only law school in Hawaii, so in terms of internships and externships, you have a great chance.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:13 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:None of you are getting in if you are not from the islands. It's rank is way mis-leading; do not get your hopes up.

Got in from New Jersey - no connections with the islands in any way and never even been west of California. I have no idea how I got in, but the call I received at 8 PM Eastern Standard Time telling me I was admitted was definitely odd.

Also, by misleading I'm assuming you mean that it's a better school than its rank seems to indicate? If so, I hope you're right.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:27 am

KibblesnBitts wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:None of you are getting in if you are not from the islands. It's rank is way mis-leading; do not get your hopes up.

Got in from New Jersey - no connections with the islands in any way and never even been west of California. I have no idea how I got in, but the call I received at 8 PM Eastern Standard Time telling me I was admitted was definitely odd.

Also, by misleading I'm assuming you mean that it's a better school than its rank seems to indicate? If so, I hope you're right.

Wow what the heck are your numbers?

Myself, and everyone else last year sin ties who was admit on lawschoolnumbers got strait up denied. Oh and I mean its rank would lend you to believe if you had a 168 LSAT and a good resume you could get in, and in reality you need a 155 and a Hawaiian ID

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:14 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Wow what the heck are your numbers?

Myself, and everyone else last year sin ties who was admit on lawschoolnumbers got strait up denied. Oh and I mean its rank would lend you to believe if you had a 168 LSAT and a good resume you could get in, and in reality you need a 155 and a Hawaiian ID

That's the thing, my numbers aren't spectacular - basically T2 numbers - 161/3.69... (October had the most difficult LG section I've ever experienced) honestly, I'm just attributing it to a heck of a good 500 word statement.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm

So after finally making it home after a minor (by Cleveland standards) snowstorm made traffic a complete nightmare....I got a voicemail that began with "Aloha!".....I think that's my sign that this my last winter in Ohio 8)

Returned the call and spoke with a very nice lady who informed me that I was admitted. I guess they do take a few of us from the mainland

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:So after finally making it home after a minor (by Cleveland standards) snowstorm made traffic a complete nightmare....I got a voicemail that began with "Aloha!".....I think that's my sign that this my last winter in Ohio 8)

Returned the call and spoke with a very nice lady who informed me that I was admitted. I guess they do take a few of us from the mainland

I'm going to their Admitted Students Day. However, I'll be honest and say that I'll most likely be spending law school somewhere in the contiguous 48 and closer to home. But, it really wont hurt to check the school out.

Are you going to check it out in March?

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:So after finally making it home after a minor (by Cleveland standards) snowstorm made traffic a complete nightmare....I got a voicemail that began with "Aloha!".....I think that's my sign that this my last winter in Ohio 8)

I'm going to their Admitted Students Day. However, I'll be honest and say that I'll most likely be spending law school somewhere in the contiguous 48 and closer to home. But, it really wont hurt to check the school out.

Are you going to check it out in March?

Definitely considering it.......I've heard things about their aid programs that may keep me over here as well though

holden147

Postby holden147 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 pm

I applied. Had a fee waiver so I figured why not. There's worse places to spend 3 years! lol

:P

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 pm

Nice to see some movement in this thread! Admitted a few weeks ago, insanely friendly woman.

Between in-state tuition and scholarships, I'm hoping to get the cost down to..0! If so, maybe consider?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 pm

holden147 wrote:I applied. Had a fee waiver so I figured why not. There's worse places to spend 3 years! lol

:P

You had a fee waiver? How? I was told they didn't give them.

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:24 pm

For those people from the mainland who have been admitted, did you mention anything in your personal statements that specifically mentioned why you want to attend Hawaii? It is my top choice because of its Pacific-Asian Legal Studies program, and I tried to make this clear in my PS when I applied.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”