In at Harvard

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
37
31%
April 14-16
36
30%
None, I hate fun
30
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
8
7%
The obligatory other
9
8%
 
Total votes: 120

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby nametaken » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay at? I can't make the ASW and am going next weekend to visit instead

User avatar
Cravin
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 am

Re: In at Harvard

Postby Cravin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:07 pm

splbagel wrote:
phl516 wrote:Just opened up the travel subsidy form (thanks for the reminder, Kulshan). Can you not get a subsidy for gas if you are driving?


Couldn't hurt to ask, right? Just show them a calculation of your car's highway mpg and the round-trip distance.


Or, leave home with a full tank. Fill up at ASW. Save the receipt. Multiply by two. Easier to calculate, and you have a receipt you can turn in to the office.

phl516
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby phl516 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Cravin wrote:
splbagel wrote:
phl516 wrote:Just opened up the travel subsidy form (thanks for the reminder, Kulshan). Can you not get a subsidy for gas if you are driving?


Couldn't hurt to ask, right? Just show them a calculation of your car's highway mpg and the round-trip distance.


Or, leave home with a full tank. Fill up at ASW. Save the receipt. Multiply by two. Easier to calculate, and you have a receipt you can turn in to the office.


Yea, I'll ask them what the protocol is for this and let everyone know.

bogm2012
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby bogm2012 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:41 pm

phl516 wrote:
Cravin wrote:
splbagel wrote:
phl516 wrote:Just opened up the travel subsidy form (thanks for the reminder, Kulshan). Can you not get a subsidy for gas if you are driving?


Couldn't hurt to ask, right? Just show them a calculation of your car's highway mpg and the round-trip distance.


Or, leave home with a full tank. Fill up at ASW. Save the receipt. Multiply by two. Easier to calculate, and you have a receipt you can turn in to the office.


Yea, I'll ask them what the protocol is for this and let everyone know.


I used to get reimbursed by my company based on some governmental calculation of mileage. It factors in wear and tear, gas prices, insurance, etc. I think it worked out to be like, $0.57/mile.

Might be worth checking to see whether Harvard has a similar rate.

andanother
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby andanother » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Harvard-specific financial aid question: Is there a downside to paying off previous graduate school loans prior to applying for financial aid? The positive is that student assets taken into account in determining eligibility for need-based grants would be less.

User avatar
Zelda
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Re: In at Harvard

Postby Zelda » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Some questions.

1. When do we have to give HLS our decision? I couldn't find it on ASW or in my acceptance packet.
2. Once we fill out our financial aid form, how long does it take to hear back?
3. Does HLS negotiate financial aid at all?

Is anyone else paying themselves and having to take out serious $$$ loans?

spek
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: In at Harvard

Postby spek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Zelda wrote:Some questions.

1. When do we have to give HLS our decision? I couldn't find it on ASW or in my acceptance packet.
2. Once we fill out our financial aid form, how long does it take to hear back?
3. Does HLS negotiate financial aid at all?

Is anyone else paying themselves and having to take out serious $$$ loans?


1. May 1st
Not sure about the answers to 2 and 3 but I've heard that they are somewhat flexible (maybe?) if you have a full ride from CCN or get better aid from HY. Again, not sure.

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby nametaken » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I've heard they don't really negotiate but their aid is need based so hopefully you can get a lot if you are paying on your own

Zelda wrote:Some questions.

1. When do we have to give HLS our decision? I couldn't find it on ASW or in my acceptance packet.
2. Once we fill out our financial aid form, how long does it take to hear back?
3. Does HLS negotiate financial aid at all?

Is anyone else paying themselves and having to take out serious $$$ loans?

goodwillhunting
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby goodwillhunting » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:38 am

nametaken wrote:Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay at? I can't make the ASW and am going next weekend to visit instead


I don't know how much you want to spend on hotel stay, but all the hotels in Harvard Square (The Inn at Harvard, Harvard Sq Hotel, the Charles Hotel, Hotel Veritas, and Sheraton Commander) are pretty expensive ($200+ per night). If you have a car, you can drive out to the suburbs (Newton, Woburn, Lexington) and find much cheaper hotel (around $100), but if you don't have a car but want to save on hotel, you can go with some hotels in MIT area or downtown Boston (IIRC, around $150 for Courtyard or Holiday Inn level hotel)

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby nametaken » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:57 am

goodwillhunting wrote:
nametaken wrote:Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay at? I can't make the ASW and am going next weekend to visit instead


I don't know how much you want to spend on hotel stay, but all the hotels in Harvard Square (The Inn at Harvard, Harvard Sq Hotel, the Charles Hotel, Hotel Veritas, and Sheraton Commander) are pretty expensive ($200+ per night). If you have a car, you can drive out to the suburbs (Newton, Woburn, Lexington) and find much cheaper hotel (around $100), but if you don't have a car but want to save on hotel, you can go with some hotels in MIT area or downtown Boston (IIRC, around $150 for Courtyard or Holiday Inn level hotel)


I don't have a car since I'm from NYC, but I convinced my dad to pay for my room at the Sheraton since I'm going alone haha. Thanks for your help!

caminante
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby caminante » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 pm

PSA: For those of you looking for places to stay for ASW (or any other school visit), check out airbnb.com. I originally booked at a hotel a few miles away to save money, but then remembered hearing about airbnb a while ago. I am now booked to stay in an apartment very close to campus that is much cheaper than the hotel I was going to stay in :)

(I realize this comes off like an ad, but I'm really just excited about where I'm going to be staying! haha)

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: In at Harvard

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:35 pm

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where I can find travel subsidy form? Thanks in advance.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby Curious1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where I can find travel subsidy form? Thanks in advance.


Go to the Visiting HLS as an Admitted Student tab, under there should be "Travel Subsidy Form" as a red link, click it, and its at the bottom of the next page.

splbagel
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby splbagel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Got my travel subsidy, processed in about 4 business days. Was eligible for $150 based on distance, plane fare cost over $450, approved for $125.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby soj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:25 pm

splbagel wrote:Got my travel subsidy, processed in about 4 business days. Was eligible for $150 based on distance, plane fare cost over $450, approved for $125.

Damn, stingy. :x

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby kulshan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Hmm, I got approved for the full $150 today. I added a bit about need as well, don't know whether that helped.

User avatar
euskadi
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:02 am

Re: In at Harvard

Postby euskadi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm

You can now sign up for your top three choices for classes to observe during March's ASW. I'm really impressed with the list of options - is anyone else gunning for Larry Lessig's 8:10 Contracts class?!

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby kulshan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm

euskadi wrote:You can now sign up for your top three choices for classes to observe during March's ASW. I'm really impressed with the list of options - is anyone else gunning for Larry Lessig's 8:10 Contracts class?!


Yep, that was my first choice. My second was the Globalization class with Kennedy, then Property with Mann.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby soj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Oh damn, I scrolled through the list too quickly to notice Lessig's class. I picked some afternoon ones because if ASW is as fun as I hope it is, I won't want to be alive in the mornings, let alone attend a class.

User avatar
annyong
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

Re: In at Harvard

Postby annyong » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Requested Lessig and Zittrain...so excited for ASW!

User avatar
Zelda
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Re: In at Harvard

Postby Zelda » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Soooo...

If there is anyone else who thinks they are not going to qualify for need based grants and is paying for school on their own...

I would love to chat/commiserate.

PM me.

Jerwinf1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby Jerwinf1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 am

Someone has probably already asked this but I'm curious as to whether or not Harvard helps you set up housing with current students for ASW if you're interested...

splbagel
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby splbagel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 am

Jerwinf1 wrote:Someone has probably already asked this but I'm curious as to whether or not Harvard helps you set up housing with current students for ASW if you're interested...


They do, but I don't think it's guaranteed. You can request it when you sign up. A current student told me a few days ago that an email had just gone out asking for volunteers to host for March ASW, so we should hear back within the next week or so.

User avatar
medialoop
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby medialoop » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:38 pm

For those of you who have already filled out the travel reimbursement form, did you just print it, fill it out, scan it, and e-mail it? The PDF wasn't letting me fill it out electronically so I'm assuming this is the best option. Or did you send it via snail mail? I'm just worried because the website says that you have to send it in at least 10 days before your visit, and that's coming up pretty soon so I don't want to screw it up...

Thanks! (And sorry if this info is somewhere on the website or form and I just couldn't find it.)

splbagel
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: In at Harvard

Postby splbagel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:55 pm

medialoop wrote:For those of you who have already filled out the travel reimbursement form, did you just print it, fill it out, scan it, and e-mail it? The PDF wasn't letting me fill it out electronically so I'm assuming this is the best option. Or did you send it via snail mail? I'm just worried because the website says that you have to send it in at least 10 days before your visit, and that's coming up pretty soon so I don't want to screw it up...

Thanks! (And sorry if this info is somewhere on the website or form and I just couldn't find it.)


I sent it via snail mail. The first page of the form says: "Return the Travel Details Form to the J.D. Admissions Office. Mail the completed request forms to Harvard Law School, J.D. Admissions, 1563 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138." Not sure if others have had success scanning and emailing instead.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., fattsdomino, Ferrisjso, lillawyer2 and 9 guests