In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
31%
April 14-16
30%
None, I hate fun
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
7%
The obligatory other
8%

Total votes: 120

MumofCad

Silver

Re: In at Harvard

Post by MumofCad » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:35 am

HYS don't offer merit awards. Everything else is need-based and I am sure is affected by COL so I don't know how much H would take a New haven need-based package into account or whether it would be more generous given NH's lower COL. Stanford would probably be a more comparable calculation.

That being said, I've heard H is very generous and that your initial award is not necessarily your final award. It can be upped as the school year approaches even for committed students so....I have a feeling that some people who 'negotiate' higher awards were actually probably going to receive them anyhow.

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:55 am

MumofCad wrote:HYS don't offer merit awards. Everything else is need-based and I am sure is affected by COL so I don't know how much H would take a New haven need-based package into account or whether it would be more generous given NH's lower COL. Stanford would probably be a more comparable calculation.

That being said, I've heard H is very generous and that your initial award is not necessarily your final award. It can be upped as the school year approaches even for committed students so....I have a feeling that some people who 'negotiate' higher awards were actually probably going to receive them anyhow.
But I wonder how one "negotiates" higher awards...

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:04 pm

spek wrote:
MumofCad wrote:HYS don't offer merit awards. Everything else is need-based and I am sure is affected by COL so I don't know how much H would take a New haven need-based package into account or whether it would be more generous given NH's lower COL. Stanford would probably be a more comparable calculation.

hostage taking

RabbitTroop

New

Post by RabbitTroop » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:07 pm

I filled out my survey about a week ago, and I haven't received any emails. Anyone else in this position?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 pm

spek wrote:

That's what I'm saying, I'm not sure they actually do, but I think they assume that because they attempt to with other offers and eventually have their H award upped that they successfully negotiated the rise. I know people naturally just ask for more and get it as well. Whether or not negotiation helps...I'm not sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acappella

New

Post by acappella » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:02 pm

RabbitTroop wrote:I filled out my survey about a week ago, and I haven't received any emails. Anyone else in this position?
Same. I have a feeling it just depends on how you answered; I'm sure some organizations/professors are more on top of things than others.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:32 pm

acappella wrote:
RabbitTroop wrote:I filled out my survey about a week ago, and I haven't received any emails. Anyone else in this position?
Same. I have a feeling it just depends on how you answered; I'm sure some organizations/professors are more on top of things than others.
i got one from a student who attended same undergrad as me...havent heard anything else yet

Hopeful13

New

Post by Hopeful13 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Know it may have already beeen answered but how long after ya'all were accepted did you get your packets? I got the call last Monday but nothing in the mail yet.

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Hopeful13 wrote:Know it may have already beeen answered but how long after ya'all were accepted did you get your packets? I got the call last Monday but nothing in the mail yet.
Same here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Hopeful13 wrote:Know it may have already beeen answered but how long after ya'all were accepted did you get your packets? I got the call last Monday but nothing in the mail yet.
On the last page (and a few before it), MumofCad mentioned that hers took 3-4 business days. I think others had a similar experience. In any case, I'd assume yours should arrive early this week.

Does the "mailings" section update when the package is sent? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it does, but I'm now doubting this - a search turned up nothing.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:12 am

euskadi wrote:
On the last page (and a few before it), MumofCad mentioned that hers took 3-4 business days. I think others had a similar experience. In any case, I'd assume yours should arrive early this week.

Does the "mailings" section update when the package is sent? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it does, but I'm now doubting this - a search turned up nothing.
Yeah, mine changed to "admissions binder sent" on the day I got the call.

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 am

ladybug89 wrote: Yeah, mine changed to "admissions binder sent" on the day I got the call.
Thanks for the reply - was hoping to receive mine early this week, but it looks like it's yet to be sent. Has anyone with a KB2 on 12/8 had theirs update to "admissions binder sent"? Seeing my Harvard email address makes me more excited than I ought to be for the package to arrive.

roguewave19

New

Post by roguewave19 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:04 am

ladybug89 wrote:
euskadi wrote:

Yeah, mine changed to "admissions binder sent" on the day I got the call.
I had my KB2 last Monday (12/5). Status checker updated to admissions binder sent same day. I got the package yesterday and I'm on the West Coast so you should probably get yours tomorrow!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thestillpoint

Bronze

Post by thestillpoint » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:39 am

I'm in the same boat as euskadi - had my KB2 on 12/8 but my status checker hasn't updated to "admissions binder sent" yet. Hopefully they'll go out today!

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:00 pm

euskadi wrote:
ladybug89 wrote: Yeah, mine changed to "admissions binder sent" on the day I got the call.
Thanks for the reply - was hoping to receive mine early this week, but it looks like it's yet to be sent. Has anyone with a KB2 on 12/8 had theirs update to "admissions binder sent"? Seeing my Harvard email address makes me more excited than I ought to be for the package to arrive.
12/8 KB2 here. My binder arrived on Saturday afternoon or Sunday (I know due to the sorting schedule for parcels at my campus mailroom).

I'm in Western Mass though, and friends from around here say that it's not unusual for even regular mail to make it overnight from Boston and environs out to where we are. You should get it within a few days (maybe even today!)

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 pm

12/5 KB2, status says "admissions binder sent" on 12/5, but I haven't received it yet. I guess I should call?

Does the admissions binder contain the information to log into the xxx@jd15.law.harvard.edu email and the post-admissions status check?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:11 pm

splbagel wrote:12/5 KB2, status says "admissions binder sent" on 12/5, but I haven't received it yet. I guess I should call?

Does the admissions binder contain the information to log into the xxx@jd15.law.harvard.edu email and the post-admissions status check?
I got mine a week later, but there was also Thanksgiving to work around, but yes, it has your info for logging in to the student site and the email.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Though my "mailings" section has yet to update, I just received the packet! Exciting. I'm in the middle of the country.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:55 pm

!Felicidades euskadi, y bienvenidos a este forum! :)

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:28 pm

splbagel wrote:12/5 KB2, status says "admissions binder sent" on 12/5, but I haven't received it yet. I guess I should call?

Received it today!

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Ok, team, who wants to go in on this fancypants pad? If we have three couples, it's just over $700 per person... just saying...

--LinkRemoved--

Seriously, though, obsessive Craigslist-watching has revealed that the supposed "market-rate" apartments rented by Harvard are quite affordable compared to what's available right now. Am I missing something?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thestillpoint

Bronze

Post by thestillpoint » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm

splbagel wrote:Ok, team, who wants to go in on this fancypants pad? If we have three couples, it's just over $700 per person... just saying...

--LinkRemoved--

Seriously, though, obsessive Craigslist-watching has revealed that the supposed "market-rate" apartments rented by Harvard are quite affordable compared to what's available right now. Am I missing something?
Totally in. I would never settle for less than a marble grand staircase in my apartment.

But seriously, what areas are people looking at for living? I'm already starting to switch over from obsessive application mode to obsessive apartment researching. And I also noticed that the Harvard-owned apartments are very reasonable in price and size. KB mentioned that to me during my KB1 when I asked about living options. She was also quite honest about just how dingy the dorms are and how it may be difficult to revert back to that if you hadn't lived in a dorm for awhile. But she said there are also the advantages of price / location / dorm activities. I'm thinking the apartments are a better compromise though.

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:26 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
splbagel wrote:Ok, team, who wants to go in on this fancypants pad? If we have three couples, it's just over $700 per person... just saying...

--LinkRemoved--

Totally in. I would never settle for less than a marble grand staircase in my apartment.

But seriously, what areas are people looking at for living? I'm already starting to switch over from obsessive application mode to obsessive apartment researching. And I also noticed that the Harvard-owned apartments are very reasonable in price and size. KB mentioned that to me during my KB1 when I asked about living options. She was also quite honest about just how dingy the dorms are and how it may be difficult to revert back to that if you hadn't lived in a dorm for awhile. But she said there are also the advantages of price / location / dorm activities. I'm thinking the apartments are a better compromise though.
Yeah, I'm not interested in dorms at all. I can do dingy, but I'm not going back to communal kitchens and bathrooms. The Harvard-owned apartments do seem to be a good compromise - 1BRs are $1400-$1800 per month (compared to $1700-3000 I'm seeing on CL), mostly within a mile of campus, and some even allow pets.

FYI for those just starting your research, I'm looking here:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... index.html
--LinkRemoved--
https://harvardlive.secureportaln.net/D ... nges-1.pdf

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm

I've been doing some research and I'm really thinking of going the dorm route. I know they're dingy and have communal bathrooms, but for convenience sake I don't know if a furnished room at low(er) cost and close to campus can be beat, especially for just one year. Cost, for me, is really important, and I know I could probably get some roommates and live farther away to cut down on apartment costs, but that's something I think would be easier figured out after already living in the area for a while. I also have no pets, spouses, or kids to worry about.

I just can't believe how spoiled I am right now. I think a cardboard box in Cambridge/Palo Alto/NYC/etc. would have higher rent than my current two-story apartment.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Holy Jesus that place is nice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”