In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
31%
April 14-16
30%
None, I hate fun
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
7%
The obligatory other
8%

Total votes: 120

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: In at Harvard

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 pm

So many housing options. What is everyone doing? Thinking about going private.

Md814

New

Post by Md814 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16 am

Doorkeeper wrote:So many housing options. What is everyone doing? Thinking about going private.
At this point I'm pretty convinced I'm going to go private. I've kind of accepted that I'll have to pay a ridiculous amount for a 1BR close to the law school, but I figure for 1L year it's worth it. Is there really any other viable option other than on-campus?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 am

Md814 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:So many housing options. What is everyone doing? Thinking about going private.
At this point I'm pretty convinced I'm going to go private. I've kind of accepted that I'll have to pay a ridiculous amount for a 1BR close to the law school, but I figure for 1L year it's worth it. Is there really any other viable option other than on-campus?
It seems to me that there are three options:
1) HLS Dorms
2) Harvard University Housing
3) Private apartment.

Downside of (2) is that it's at or above market rate for 12 months and you can only sublease to Harvard affiliated people, so you probably loose a lot during the summer. On the other hand, I hear Harvard maintenance is super responsive and you're really close to the Law School.

Upside of (1) is that it's only a 9 month lease, it can be cheap, and you're right next to the Law School, but many of the dorms seem to be SPS and make you feel like it's freshman year in college all over again. I'm not sure if there are any nice ones.

(3) is annoying as fuck to try and find one close to the Law School with a decent management company, but it's kind of the middle ground in terms of quality vs. flexibility.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

deluxe

New

Post by deluxe » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 am

I lived in a comfy two-bedroom apt while I was a grad program in UChicago (630/mo), so at first I objected to the idea of renting a dorm. But as I learned that many of my grad friends are now living in dorms in Harvard and one of my priorities is money, I have come to accept the back-to-dorm life.

gameday12

New

Post by gameday12 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 am

I think North Hall might be the best dorm-style option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Ooh guys I have the housing list. It looks like every dorm has some space available. There are a lot of type 1s and 2s, there are no 3s or 4s and only one 5 and one 6 left.

There are still some suites and some apartments, though.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Ooh guys I have the housing list. It looks like every dorm has some space available. There are a lot of type 1s and 2s, there are no 3s or 4s and only one 5 and one 6 left.

1. How did you get the list? Who do you call?
2. What are all of these different types (1-6)? What do they correspond to? I don't see any labeling system on the housing website.

gameday12

New

Post by gameday12 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Last edited by gameday12 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Ooh guys I have the housing list. It looks like every dorm has some space available. There are a lot of type 1s and 2s, there are no 3s or 4s and only one 5 and one 6 left.

2. What are all of these different types (1-6)? What do they correspond to? I don't see any labeling system on the housing website.

I filled out an application and they sent me the list of available rooms. (Note: filling out the application is not the signing of a contract. Until you sign the contract all ppl can back out. So, if anyone wants the list you can just fill out the application and they will send it to you shortly)

And, the types refer to the Gropius Complex of dorms. The six types vary in regard to how much space is in the room. 1 being the smallest and 6 being the largest. They're all just dorm rooms, with bathrooms/kitchens on the floor but not in the individual rooms. These are the cheapest living options at Harvard.

You can check it out here--> http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... mplex.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:16 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

I filled out an application and they sent me the list of available rooms. (Note: filling out the application is not the signing of a contract. Until you sign the contract all ppl can back out. So, if anyone wants the list you can just fill out the application and they will send it to you shortly)

And, the types refer to the Gropius Complex of dorms. The six types vary in regard to how much space is in the room. 1 being the smallest and 6 being the largest. They're all just dorm rooms, with bathrooms/kitchens on the floor but not in the individual rooms. These are the cheapest living options at Harvard.

You can check it out here--> http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... mplex.html
Oh, thanks for the information!

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:07 pm

any admission packets received?? its thursday!

yansky22

New

Post by yansky22 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 pm

sharktankdean wrote:any admission packets received?? its thursday!
Negative

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:48 pm

No admissions packet...but I have my official room assignment :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

New

Post by 06132012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 pm

North?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 pm

06132012 wrote:North?

Nah, not for me.

New

Post by 06132012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:04 pm

I'll be in Gropius. It's not the best but not so bad, I mean the upside is that I'm attending HLS.

Wonk

New

Post by Wonk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 pm

What's up, classmates? Just found out today!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Got the available dorm list. Not into the choices. Probably going HUH or private.

This is going to be a shitshow...

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Got the available dorm list. Not into the choices. Probably going HUH or private.

yeah everything good was taken yesterday... did anyone get the housing contract? Or did u just get the email saying what room u were in?

It would be funny if the admission packets arrive on July 2nd..
Last edited by sharktankdean on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Got the available dorm list. Not into the choices. Probably going HUHor private.

that ferry left long ago

google craigie arms for a private lease..its a 3 min walk from HLS and cheap and heard through the grapevine they have a few leases starting in aug

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:57 pm

I was in the office today and they told me my packet was mailed yesterday. Got in last Friday if that's helpful to anyone anxiously awaiting their packets.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:35 pm

snehpets wrote:I was in the office today and they told me my packet was mailed yesterday. Got in last Friday if that's helpful to anyone anxiously awaiting their packets.
Are we expecting the deposit/commitment forms to be in the packet?

deluxe

New

Post by deluxe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm

potl wrote:
snehpets wrote:I was in the office today and they told me my packet was mailed yesterday. Got in last Friday if that's helpful to anyone anxiously awaiting their packets.
Are we expecting the deposit/commitment forms to be in the packet?
I wonder whether we can deposit using a credit card online! I hate mailing 'coz I'm in another country.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Got the available dorm list. Not into the choices. Probably going HUH or private.

yeah everything good was taken yesterday... did anyone get the housing contract? Or did u just get the email saying what room u were in?

It would be funny if the admission packets arrive on July 2nd..
Ugh. I hate being one step behind the curve.

I hope this doesn't develop into a pattern...

*badump cha*

applesauce2012

New

Post by applesauce2012 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 am

Hey everyone, just checking in :)

Got in off the WL and just received my admissions packet today. It seems like there are supposed to be two envelopes included...one in case you want to enroll and one in case you want to withdraw. My packet didn't come with any envelopes and the Admissions Office didn't answer my phone calls today. Has anyone else encountered this problem? (I suppose I could wait until Monday and call again, but I'm feeling very impatient and I want to send in my deposit ASAP).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”