In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
31%
April 14-16
30%
None, I hate fun
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
7%
The obligatory other
8%

Total votes: 120

soj

Platinum

Re: In at Harvard

Post by soj » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 pm

metaphobe wrote:
soj wrote: I got one from a prof who didn't really introduce himself and only generically congratulated me, so I had no idea who it was until I googled him. :lol: I got plenty other ones that were super nice and informative, though.
haha i think i know who you're talking about...three-sentence email with no signature?
Three sentences, yes, but it did have a signature. I guess there's more than one prof who does this! :lol:

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:03 pm

soj wrote:
metaphobe wrote:
soj wrote: I got one from a prof who didn't really introduce himself and only generically congratulated me, so I had no idea who it was until I googled him. :lol: I got plenty other ones that were super nice and informative, though.
haha i think i know who you're talking about...three-sentence email with no signature?
Three sentences, yes, but it did have a signature. I guess there's more than one prof who does this! :lol:
Haha, wow. I feel lucky to have gotten some chatty profs, then!

Zelda

Bronze

Post by Zelda » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am

Random thought...but I am curious what other people think.

Has anyone else been less than impressed with the materials sent from HLS?

I know that they don't need to "impress" us, but Cornell, Michigan, UVA, basically most other T-14s send nicer packages and more information.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Zelda wrote:Random thought...but I am curious what other people think.

I know that they don't need to "impress" us, but Cornell, Michigan, UVA, basically most other T-14s send nicer packages and more information.
I actually disagree, I think Harvard's website and access to email with faculty members has been incredibly helpful, all of the alumni and current teachers that I've talked to have been super enthusiastic and informative. Maybe the initial binder with a few stickers wasn't the most showy or dense thing in the world but I think the contacts, email address, and readiness to which they've and the admissions faculty have responded to any questions has been really impressive so far!

yankees42789

Bronze

Post by yankees42789 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 pm

annyong wrote:

I actually disagree, I think Harvard's website and access to email with faculty members has been incredibly helpful, all of the alumni and current teachers that I've talked to have been super enthusiastic and informative. Maybe the initial binder with a few stickers wasn't the most showy or dense thing in the world but I think the contacts, email address, and readiness to which they've and the admissions faculty have responded to any questions has been really impressive so far!
Yeah, I pretty much agree. The admitted students' website is excellent and the only part of me that feels that Harvard's materials have been so-so mostly stems from my own failure to take advantage of reaching out to all the different people we've been put in contact with. When you think about it, it's pretty cool that faculty, students, and alums, who are all obviously incredibly busy, are not only willing, but seemingly eager, to talk to and help out prospective students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:25 am

Harvard used to give out an un godly humongous binder but went green a few years ago, hence less materials. Crimson is the new green.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 pm

snailio, you continue to amuse me immensely. :)

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:28 pm

annyong wrote:

I agree with you too.... I was TOTALLY blown away by the fact that a student I emailed connected me with someone else he knew at Harvard with very similar interests as me. I chatted with this HLS student for a pretty long time over the phone and was so amazed at how helpful the students have been, how willing to answer my questions, and also, how much they have seemed to love their experience at Harvard! Harvard's materials may not have been as impressive as other schools' but the fact they students are willing to put so much time into talking to prospective students says a lot more about Harvard than any materials I could've gotten from them!

New

Post by 51489 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 am

Does anyone know if there are student hosts available for the ASWs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

txl

New

Post by txl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:00 am

Anyone know if curious1 is still the person to go to re: getting into the facebook group?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 am

txl wrote:Anyone know if curious1 is still the person to go to re: getting into the facebook group?
yep

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Hoping they open up the ASW registration soon! Anyone know what the schedule in previous years was like? (So I can start looking forward to cool panels, meeting profs, etc. :)

lizaregina

New

Post by lizaregina » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Is anyone else's email not working? I just got the packet and tried to open it but the page won't load.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Hey, are any of you going to go to one of Columbia's ASW? I am thinking about attempting to do Columbia Feb 28-29 then go directly to Harvard's ASW. Part of me thinks that would be crazy and exhausting, but it would also be nice to compare the two back to back.

Anyone else thinking about doing that?

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

caminante wrote:Hey, are any of you going to go to one of Columbia's ASW? I am thinking about attempting to do Columbia Feb 28-29 then go directly to Harvard's ASW. Part of me thinks that would be crazy and exhausting, but it would also be nice to compare the two back to back.

I was just going to ask if people were thinking of doing that. I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be doing, going to look into changing my ticket today. It'll be a pretty exhausting week though.

yankees42789

Bronze

Post by yankees42789 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:56 pm

spek wrote:
caminante wrote:Hey, are any of you going to go to one of Columbia's ASW? I am thinking about attempting to do Columbia Feb 28-29 then go directly to Harvard's ASW. Part of me thinks that would be crazy and exhausting, but it would also be nice to compare the two back to back.

I was just going to ask if people were thinking of doing that. I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be doing, going to look into changing my ticket today. It'll be a pretty exhausting week though.
I live just outside NYC so I can get to Columbia pretty easily. I was thinking about going to the later ASW just because going straight from Columbia to Harvard might be a bit much, but if you have to travel any real distance to the East Coast, that's probably the way to do it.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:56 pm

yankees42789 wrote:
spek wrote:

I live just outside NYC so I can get to Columbia pretty easily. I was thinking about going to the later ASW just because going straight from Columbia to Harvard might be a bit much, but if you have to travel any real distance to the East Coast, that's probably the way to do it.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

metaphobe

New

Post by metaphobe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:58 pm

I think that's a little too ambitious for me, plus I'm not sure if I want to take a whole week off work. But if you're already in either the Boston or NYC area, it might not be too bad.

I'm aiming for the later Columbia one during March 28-29.

yankees42789

Bronze

Post by yankees42789 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Registration for ASW is up! Just signed up for March. Can't wait!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm

yankees42789 wrote:Registration for ASW is up! Just signed up for March. Can't wait!
Thanks for the heads up, yankees! I just signed up for March as well. See you there :)

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 pm

yankees42789 wrote:Registration for ASW is up! Just signed up for March. Can't wait!
omg so excited.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lily Pad

New

Post by Lily Pad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm

+1 for March ASW!

Does anyone have any thoughts about bringing SO's with to ASW? Mine will be moving with me but has never been to Boston, I'd really like to bring him so he can get to know the area better, but I'm not sure how appropriate that would be.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Lily Pad wrote:+1 for March ASW!

Does anyone have any thoughts about bringing SO's with to ASW? Mine will be moving with me but has never been to Boston, I'd really like to bring him so he can get to know the area better, but I'm not sure how appropriate that would be.
I can't see why not...except he might be kind of bored while you're doing ASW events. Maybe he can go on the freedom trail during the day?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Registered for March! Soooo excited!

Edit: Oooh you can also look at the preliminary program schedule and case assignments!!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:13 pm

annyong wrote:Registered for March! Soooo excited!

Edit: Oooh you can also look at the preliminary program schedule and case assignments!!
Terry v. Ohio!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”