In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
31%
April 14-16
30%
None, I hate fun
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
7%
The obligatory other
8%

Total votes: 120

gimelstein315

New

Re: In at Harvard

Post by gimelstein315 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

splbagel wrote:
gimelstein315 wrote:Loved my book! Thought it was an extremely kind gesture--and exceptionally relevant to my application and JD/MBA trajectory.

I'm so, so, so pumped to attend! Would it be more awkward than polite to send JS a thank you email? To which email address would you send it?
I sent a thank-you email directly to the authors (they included their business cards with the book). Not sure if it was "more awkward than polite" but I got friendly responses back.

Didn't have a business card in my book--only a short note from JS. That's why I'm thinking that I'll send the email to JS...

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Thu May 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Has anyone who requested a deferral heard back yet? I only sent my deposit and request on Monday, and they received the deposit, but I haven't heard anything about the deferral yet.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 pm

KB must be on TLS again. Deferral granted. See y'all in a year.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu May 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Deferral granted. To quote another poster, now to "work, drink, and chill for a year."

Btw, does anyone know whether we still have to submit UG transcripts/certification and vaccination stuff by June 15 this year? Or does that deadline get pushed back to next year as well?

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Thu May 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Deferral granted. To quote another poster, now to "work, drink, and chill for a year."

Btw, does anyone know whether we still have to submit UG transcripts/certification and vaccination stuff by June 15 this year? Or does that deadline get pushed back to next year as well?
Haha, awesome sauce. How did youswing this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

almostsmartbutpoor

New

Post by almostsmartbutpoor » Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 am

Hi,

Not sure if I post my Q here, but...

I want to go to Harvard which is "the" name worldwide, BUT:

I applied late in the cycle (had planned to Teach for America, but didn't get in, so started the appln process in January).

Anyway, they did not offer me any $, proby because I just turned 21 and have 0 work experience - or not good enough for scholarships.

Anyway, I also applied to Stanford $ and Yale $$ and since my pre-law adviser who went to Emory asked me to, - Emory $$$$ - full scholarship plus.

I have no money, parents have none to spare.

So, do I take loans for Harvard (for full tuition via FAFSA - but 6.8% interest !! - highway robbery) or go to Emory - full ride + extras.

I visited all 3 - one paid for my trip (poverty had one benefit).

I actually was in awe at Harvard, but met too many aggressive students and snobbish faculty; .... loved the people at Yale, .... and yet, overall, I was more impressed by Emory - friendly faculty, no snobbery, non-aggressive students, GREAT new "school to career" program, and CHEAP living.

I'm just afraid to blow a chance to attend the "best" law school which my parents and friends would be proud of, but end up a quarter of a MILLION dollars in debt, at least.

Constructive feedback, please - and no, I do not wish to retake LSAT and reapply early in the cycle.

Thanks.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 am

almostsmartbutpoor wrote:Hi,

I applied late in the cycle (had planned to Teach for America, but didn't get in, so started the appln process in January).

Anyway, they did not offer me any $, proby because I just turned 21 and have 0 work experience - or not good enough for scholarships.

Anyway, I also applied to Stanford $ and Yale $$ and since my pre-law adviser who went to Emory asked me to, - Emory $$$$ - full scholarship plus.

So, do I take loans for Harvard (for full tuition via FAFSA - but 6.8% interest !! - highway robbery) or go to Emory - full ride + extras.

I actually was in awe at Harvard, but met too many aggressive students and snobbish faculty; .... loved the people at Yale, .... and yet, overall, I was more impressed by Emory - friendly faculty, no snobbery, non-aggressive students, GREAT new "school to career" program, and CHEAP living.

I'm just afraid to blow a chance to attend the "best" law school which my parents and friends would be proud of, but end up a quarter of a MILLION dollars in debt, at least.

Constructive feedback, please - and no, I do not wish to retake LSAT and reapply early in the cycle.

Thanks.
well...considering how almost everything in this post is wrong...

Go to emory
Last edited by thederangedwang on Fri May 04, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri May 04, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks.
For someone who had a clean sweep of HYS, you write like an idiot and apparently have no grasp on the reality of law schools or law school admissions.

How are you poor and yet received no aid from Harvard? Why do you think anyone would tell you retake your LSAT when you got into Yale? How did you not get into TFA but got into HYS? Why do you RANDOMLY "capitalize" words and put "others" into "quotations"?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri May 04, 2012 12:36 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
For someone who had a clean sweep of HYS, you write like an idiot and apparently have no grasp on the reality of law schools or law school admissions.

How are you poor and yet received no aid from Harvard? Why do you think anyone would tell you retake your LSAT when you got into Yale? How did you not get into TFA but got into HYS? Why do you RANDOMLY "capitalize" words and put "others" into "quotations"?
Also add onto the fact that none of HYS awards merit scholarships...only fin aid...and that HLS is totally not cutthroat especially with no grades...what HLS asw did you attend..how on earth could the faculty be snobby? You's weird man...you is weird...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri May 04, 2012 12:37 am

Excellent troll is excellent.

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Fri May 04, 2012 7:52 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Excellent troll is excellent.

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:07 am

woof

kmason

New

Post by kmason » Fri May 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks.
From what you said, Harvard is still best regarded internationally.
Yale has been the #1 law school for some time, and sounds like you preferred their environment.

So to keep mum n dad happy (and you) Yale seems best.

Emory is not in that stratosphere, though I do agree that its a lovely school.

Share your scholarship with others on this post :)

You are one lucky guy/gal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Just got my aid package--WOW. So grateful. I think I'm only 5k short of the maximum, and a scholarship from my undergrad will even that out. So excited for this fall!

almostsmartbutpoor

New

Post by almostsmartbutpoor » Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Congrats, avd90 and thanks, kmason - my parents who are from Eastern Europe want me to go to Harvard.
So its a tough call

JannaV

New

Post by JannaV » Sat May 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck to everyone!

iThwl

New

Post by iThwl » Sun May 06, 2012 2:21 pm

avd90 wrote:Just got my aid package--WOW. So grateful. I think I'm only 5k short of the maximum, and a scholarship from my undergrad will even that out. So excited for this fall!
What's the maximum?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 pm

iThwl wrote:
avd90 wrote:Just got my aid package--WOW. So grateful. I think I'm only 5k short of the maximum, and a scholarship from my undergrad will even that out. So excited for this fall!
What's the maximum?
If you don't have any kids, ~ 30K/year.

tachikara

New

Post by tachikara » Mon May 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Just got my lottery number for HLS housing, it's 4! Woohoo

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Please fill me in on the most important things I missed by not being accepted in time to attend either ASW! I've heard HLS puts on a great show, but you all would know from experience.

I have just over a week to figure out where I'm going to school. HLS was originally my dream school, but spent the past 6 months talking myself out of Harvard because I was convinced I had no shot. Apparently dreams come true:)

"We are thrilled to welcome you to this incredible institution! We believe that this is the single best place in the world to study law. Your class is comprised of tomorrow's leading lawyers, public servants, human rights activists, academics, corporate executives, and catalysts for social change."

*pinches self*

JDflowergirl

Bronze

Post by JDflowergirl » Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Geneva wrote:Please fill me in on the most important things I missed by not being accepted in time to attend either ASW! I've heard HLS puts on a great show, but you all would know from experience.

I have just over a week to figure out where I'm going to school. HLS was originally my dream school, but spent the past 6 months talking myself out of Harvard because I was convinced I had no shot. Apparently dreams come true:)

"We are thrilled to welcome you to this incredible institution! We believe that this is the single best place in the world to study law. Your class is comprised of tomorrow's leading lawyers, public servants, human rights activists, academics, corporate executives, and catalysts for social change."

*pinches self*
congrats...but as an AA female how didnt u think u had a chance with a 3.7/170? I would think u were a lock in H unless u were some sort of serial killer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:
Geneva wrote:Please fill me in on the most important things I missed by not being accepted in time to attend either ASW! I've heard HLS puts on a great show, but you all would know from experience.

*pinches self*
congrats...but as an AA female how didnt u think u had a chance with a 3.7/170? I would think u were a lock in H unless u were some sort of serial killer.
haha thanks. i'm a minority, but not AA, so wasn't sure if i'd get the URM boost.

txl

New

Post by txl » Wed May 09, 2012 12:23 am

Last edited by txl on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Excellent troll is excellent.
Doorkeeper, have you started trolling the "In at Harvard" thread preemptively? :D

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Mon May 14, 2012 5:45 pm

txl wrote:Hi All-

Those of you in the FB group are probably getting sick of me spamming everywhere, but I'm trying to figure out my housing situation and I figure it can't hurt to post here. So here goes:

I'm trying to find roommates for a 2, 3, or 4br place pretty close to campus. Ideally right around Harvard Square, in Central Square, or perhaps Porter. Looking to spend something like $1000-$1300ish....
Have you tried the HRES roommate click website? http://huhousing.offcampuslisting.com/roommate/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”