In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
31%
April 14-16
30%
None, I hate fun
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
7%
The obligatory other
8%

Total votes: 120

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Re: In at Harvard

Post by LaCumparsita » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Welcome captain, Byz, jd5! I remember the excitement of getting in... *nostalgic wave washes over me*

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Checking in :)

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Checking in as well! :D

defrutamadre

New

Post by defrutamadre » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm

ladybug89 wrote:All you March ASW-ers, don't forget to share your thoughts/recap the weekend for those of who can't go until April (or at all)!! i'm super excited for everyone going this weekend =D
+1!

And congrats to all the new admits!

instantwonton

New

Post by instantwonton » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Yay! Congrats new admits! So far all TLSers I've met are awesome! Come hang out with us on the FB page. Feel free to PM me or ask questions on FB if you have any questions about this past weekend's ASW or anything we learned while there. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 am

Who do we PM to join the FB group?

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 am

brownpride wrote:Who do we PM to join the FB group?
Curious1. Welcome aboard!

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 am

splbagel wrote:
brownpride wrote:Who do we PM to join the FB group?
Curious1. Welcome aboard!
Thanks!

Onthebrink

Bronze

Post by Onthebrink » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:03 pm

It has been a week since my JS2 and it is still like a dream! Loving this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Anyone care to summarize the accepted students' weekend? I don't think I'm going to be able to attend one myself, as I was accepted just this past Saturday and have a wedding to go to during the second ASW, so I'll have to live off of second-hand accounts (and maybe an improvised visit of my own).

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:28 pm

jd5 wrote:Anyone care to summarize the accepted students' weekend? I don't think I'm going to be able to attend one myself, as I was accepted just this past Saturday and have a wedding to go to during the second ASW, so I'll have to live off of second-hand accounts (and maybe an improvised visit of my own).
The profs they had doing presentations and panels were all very impressive. I'm sure they deliberately picked people who would be very engaging, excited, and fun (and HLS grads mostly), but boy were they engaging, excited, and fun! The mock class was cool, the talks were informative and compelling, even the negotiation exercise, which I fully expected to be super lame, was interesting. All the other prospective students I met were interesting, down-to-earth folks with various goals and passions. All in all, very convincing.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 am

Did anyone dislike the ASW? From what I remember about obsessively reading through past ASW threads, there are typically quite mixed feelings about HLS. Curious whether that's no longer true, or whether the haters aren't posting, or whether it's that you've all met each other and so don't want to say negative things?

Lily Pad

New

Post by Lily Pad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 am

I wasn't actually in love with Harvard after ASW. For as much as they've been emphasizing WE, I was really surprised at the huge number of K-JD admits who were there - that may have just been a factor of it being harder for those of us with jobs to get time off for ASW though. Plus, not that it will really matter in making my decision, but it was really cold there!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:32 pm

I didn't really fall in love with Harvard during ASW either, though I can't put my finger on why. I didn't see anything I actively disliked, I just didn't really find anything I was in love with either. The new facilities are certainly nice, though.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

It could be that it's easiest (psychologically) to like it when it is the best option you have going. Since I haven't heard from YLS, I was looking for reasons to convince myself HLS would be good for me, and I found them. But it's probably much harder when you have other compelling options on the table already. In related news, I wish YLS would just make a decision on me either way already!

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 pm

I really enjoyed it, though I definitely didn't feel "sold" until Monday. But then Monday was basically back-to-back hits for me. I thought the class I went to was really excellent - not focused on black-letter law, but not wholly theoretical either, more of a nice middle ground, which is right where my personal academic/professional interests lie. The panel about public interest advising was phenomenal - I really had no notion of the sheer amount of resources Harvard dedicates to public interest, and Alexa Shabecoff, the head of the public interest advising office, is clearly a tremendously valuable resource in her own right. Also, it helped to give me a sense that there's a really strong public service-oriented community at Harvard, which means a lot to me. And to top it off, I was so impressed with the professor I had lunch with. Not only is he a really big name in his field, but he was also incredibly kind, friendly, and down to earth.

(I will add a disclaimer that not everything at the ASW wowed me - the student I had lunch with on Sunday was kind of meh, and the activities fair was really informative and valuable but also made me wonder if I'm actually going to enjoy any activities in law school, ha... but I think that may be more of an issue with trying to understand the appeal of working on a journal, etc., which right now I just don't see. Oh and also, I know Klarman is a bigwig but I really had to fight hard to stay awake during his speechy thing on Sunday.)

I was pretty sure I was going to Harvard even before the ASW, but I was certainly open to the possibility I wouldn't like it and potentially would have to reevaluate my options. I was especially nervous about what the other admitted and current students would be like, so it was a relief to discover that the vast majority were a great combination of smart/intellectually curious/passionate but also friendly/fun/easy to talk to. And the one person I really didn't like is apparently going to Yale. :)

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 pm

sailboat wrote:I really enjoyed it, though I definitely didn't feel "sold" until Monday. But then Monday was basically back-to-back hits for me. I thought the class I went to was really excellent - not focused on black-letter law, but not wholly theoretical either, more of a nice middle ground, which is right where my personal academic/professional interests lie. The panel about public interest advising was phenomenal - I really had no notion of the sheer amount of resources Harvard dedicates to public interest, and Alexa Shabecoff, the head of the public interest advising office, is clearly a tremendously valuable resource in her own right. Also, it helped to give me a sense that there's a really strong public service-oriented community at Harvard, which means a lot to me. And to top it off, I was so impressed with the professor I had lunch with. Not only is he a really big name in his field, but he was also incredibly kind, friendly, and down to earth.
This was almost exactly my experience as well.

When I visited my undergrad for the admitted students day, it instantly "clicked" and I felt at home -- I remember thinking "these are my people, this place is a perfect fit for my personality." I didn't expect that same feeling at HLS, but it was still a bit disappointing to go through the first few days thinking, "these people are bright and friendly, this place has a lot going for it, but I just don't feel that intangible spark." This was my first ASW, so maybe this wasn't HLS-specific but more about my trepidation about law school in general.

Anyway, what really sold me was the OPIA panel that sailboat mentioned, as well as the opportunity to get to meet a few folks in the student practice organization I hope to join, and to get to know them over dinner on Sunday night. Those two things, plus the LIPP and the insane amount of funding for student organizations, travel, independent projects, etc, are what really convinced me that there is a like-minded community for me at HLS, and that the school is really the best place for my particular interests and goals.

It was also fun to meet a bunch of TLSers (must have been at least 20 of you that I met over the course of the weekend) and learn that some of you share my interests (hi LawGuy321, euskadi & soj!).

As I mentioned on the facebook group, as of now I'm pretty sold on HLS. Hope to see some of you there in the fall!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:50 am

Got my award package yesterday, actually pretty pleasantly surprised.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 am

nametaken wrote:Got my award package yesterday, actually pretty pleasantly surprised.
By mail? Did you get an email notification?

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:53 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
nametaken wrote:Got my award package yesterday, actually pretty pleasantly surprised.
By mail? Did you get an email notification?
It was by e-mail to my Harvard account (which basically just directed me to go to the financial aid page)

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Are the financial aid application forms and information available on the website? I haven't received my acceptance package yet, but I need to send that stuff in soon, as my decision re where to attend will likely be dependent on how much (if any) financial aid I get from HLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tachikara

New

Post by tachikara » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 pm

https://myfaid.law.harvard.edu/NetPartn ... gHome.aspx

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... cationform

You can do parts of it just going by your email, which is available on your status checker. However, some of it seems to require a login that may be provided to you in the welcome packet.

crystalized

New

Post by crystalized » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:14 pm

I heard that Harvard has an arrangement with a bank to give a private student loan without the need for a US cosigner, is this true? If so, does anyone have any more details about this?

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 am

Any guesstimate as to what the cutoff is for parental income above which one shouldn't expect to receive any financial aid? My parents make enough that I never qualified for aid in undergrad, but I've heard law schools (especially HYS) are more lenient, and now I have two younger siblings in college.

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:50 am

jd5 wrote:Any guesstimate as to what the cutoff is for parental income above which one shouldn't expect to receive any financial aid? My parents make enough that I never qualified for aid in undergrad, but I've heard law schools (especially HYS) are more lenient, and now I have two younger siblings in college.
Hmmm. I think it's $150,000 without dependents. Less sure about this, but something like $200,000 with dependents. Keep in mind that this is the maximum. The median parental income is around $90,000 for those receiving grant aid.

Also keep in mind that assets are important, though not as important as income, and that if you'll be 26 or above by 09/01/2012 your parents income will matter less.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”