Villanova 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dr.JD
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby Dr.JD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Dr.JD wrote:
Whats wrong with the way he phrased his decision? Villanova is in the toilet now. I feel your pain. It must be very frustrating graduating from a school that is dropping into the TTT but get over it. Your last few posts seem more like a desperate attempt to prop up the schools reputation and downplay the significance of the freefall Villanova finds itself in. The school made some seriously poor decisions that were a result of many staff member's poor judgement. The fact that so many individuals were in on the scam at the school combined with your willingness to downplay events that are actually very relative and important to the schools standing indicates a culture of deceit.

No, I'm an independent person capable of rational thought. Our rank dropped because other academic institutions thought we deserved to be punished. Our reputation stayed the same as it was the year before with lawyers and the bench. Still #40 on the top 50 to go law school lists. I've never made a desperate attempt to "prop up" our reputation. I said if you aren't in the top 1/3 you should drop out. Nice try though, bro.

I commented on his phrasing because our overall number doesn't matter.


How mad are you "bro"?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Dr.JD wrote:How mad are you "bro"?

Villanova got me a 9-5 in house job making 85k-100k a year, so I'm pretty happy.

Dr.JD
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby Dr.JD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Dr.JD wrote:How mad are you "bro"?

Villanova got me a 9-5 in house job making 85k-100k a year, so I'm pretty happy.


Is it 85 or is it 100? Sounds like you don't have things hammered down yet. If its NY, DC, or CA, 85 isn't going to be fun at all. But if thats all it takes to make you happy...

Also, if rankings don't matter, why do you constantly refer to rankings when commenting on other people's posts? Heres a recent example: "a crappy TTTT isn't getting T14. Even most T1s will be tough without top 10%"

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Unnecessary response
Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 pm

A friendly reminder: this is an on-topic thread for people who have applied to Villanova.
People who troll this thread will face bans.

User avatar
SlothGoonie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby SlothGoonie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Nova just dominated by US News. That being said, would still be a first choice if they could get me some more money, which is doubtful.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Is there really a 9-5 in-house counsel position that pays $85,000-$100,000 to a recent law grad that does not entail working in the family business ?

If so, I recommend arriving at 8 & staying past 6.

P.S. Congratulations !

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm

The details of my job aren't relevant to this thread (thanks).

User avatar
h2oplyer7
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby h2oplyer7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Wow, I have posted a few things in this thread that have caused a minor firestorm. First, let me say that Villanova is a good law school. All I was trying to say is that I have full tuition at a few top 100 law schools, but I only have 23k at Villanova. I wasn't trying to insult the school in anyway, and I believe all rankings should be had with a grain of salt. Still, Villanova has been slammed in the rankings (a fact everyone agrees with) because of the scandal. However, if you are from Philly, or want to practice in PA, and you have a full scholly (or you're already wealthy), Villanova would be a great choice.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous reading the posts of all the law school snobs on this website (not necessarily in this thread). Personally, I am a 31-year old Air Force intelligence officer who has briefed US Senators. I already have a career, but I want to expand my horizon. If you want to get a job that pays 200k a year then go to a T14, if you can get in. Pay the sticker if you think it's worth it. However, life is not only about the law school you got your degree from, but rather the hard work and charisma you will bring to your field. I have worked with, and supervised, grads from Harvard, Yale, MIT and Stanford. Some are great officers, others not so much. Not all will succeed in the Air Force. Hopefully, they will somewhere else. GPA, LSAT and degree-granting school will only take you so for. Life is what you make of it. I don't need to be a law school grad to know that. Work hard, make good impressions, and you will have a good life. You might not make 800k a year, but you will be successful and happy.

User avatar
JD Janitor
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby JD Janitor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:55 pm

beach_terror wrote:The details of my job aren't relevant to this thread (thanks).

you should not reply to the troll. in all fairness your replies sound very smug and im not sure why you posted the details for your job in the first place. however, congrats. 85k for a 9-5 position is very nice.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:06 pm

References to my job were only intended to show that (a) the scandal didn't hurt our reputation in the area because I got it afterwards (b) there are jobs outside of Biglaw in Philadelphia and (c) law review isn't necessarily make or break for employment. If I came off smug, that wasn't my intention. I like to think I've been fairly helpful ITT, and that's all I was attempting to do now - help.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:08 pm

You didn't come off as smug, in my opinion. You made your point effectively. As a side note, many claim that Duquesne places well in Pittsburgh & Villanova is a far superior law school. In short, your point is key to those considering Villanova for local placement opportunities.

B986
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby B986 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm

The amount of (not so) humblebragging that pervades TLS is so wonderfully annoying and amusing at the same time. People "casually" rehashing their resumes a la Greg Smith (I supervised grads from X, Y, and Z prestigious schools, briefed US Senators blah blah), saying they withdrew and "hope their enormous scholarship goes to someone else on TLS!", justifying a low GPA or LSAT by saying, "I am a very unique candidate with extraordinary softs and am therefore more awesome than everyone else on here." Ahh, gets me every time.

User avatar
h2oplyer7
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby h2oplyer7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:48 pm

That was my point BS986!

ShowJumper560
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby ShowJumper560 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Accepted today!!!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:59 pm

lawbreaker wrote: I'm also a 2L .

Another 2013 VLS TLSer I don't know :(, I know most of the posters from our class too

Good advice.

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby Villanova3 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 pm

lawbreaker wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Withdrawing from Villanova tomorrow. After weighing my options, I don't want to pay even 15k a year for a school that is no longer ranked in the top 100.


If you haven't withdrawn yet, you may want to consider the foolishness that comes with relying on a ranking to choose your school. I'm also a 2L and know people here who chose to pay full price rather than go to Temple or Rutgers because we were ranked a few spots above them. We've fallen close to 40 spots from when our class enrolled yet our student body, professors, job prospects, and quality of education remain the same. Beware that wherever you go, the same thing could happen to you. At least you know our numbers are real.

Reputation in the area is more important and we still have that because our alumni base is large. We also have better job placement than a lot of schools ranked above us.



Yea, I'm a 1L here and I'd suggest at least waiting before you withdraw and come check out the school, etc. and do some research. Sit on the acceptance for a little while longer. Plus, you can negotiate the shit out of them for scholly money.

Last summer, I was all ready to attend Temple with a decent scholarship, then about 3 or 4 weeks before classes started, Villanova called and offerred a full ride. But from there, I was able to squeeze an extra $10k stipend per year from them, along with money for books each semester. All with a 2.0 stip, which is impossible to blow. When they called, and once I realized why they were doing this, I figured I could take the guy pretty far. So, in the span of a week of exchaning phone calls with admissions my offer went from: $15,000 per year with a 3.0 stip, to full ride with a 3.0 stip, to full ride with 2.0 stip, to full ride with 2.0 tip, plus $10k living stipend per year, to rull ride, 2.0 stip, $10k living per year and books, and in my final call, I made them knock out the the $500 administrative/seat deposit fee.

Exploit the opportunity -- they will do anything you tell them.

For refernce, my LSAT was a 159.

Hlstaggs
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby Hlstaggs » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Accepted today!!!! :)

User avatar
NYC KID
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby NYC KID » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:48 am

Villanova3 wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Withdrawing from Villanova tomorrow. After weighing my options, I don't want to pay even 15k a year for a school that is no longer ranked in the top 100.


If you haven't withdrawn yet, you may want to consider the foolishness that comes with relying on a ranking to choose your school. I'm also a 2L and know people here who chose to pay full price rather than go to Temple or Rutgers because we were ranked a few spots above them. We've fallen close to 40 spots from when our class enrolled yet our student body, professors, job prospects, and quality of education remain the same. Beware that wherever you go, the same thing could happen to you. At least you know our numbers are real.

Reputation in the area is more important and we still have that because our alumni base is large. We also have better job placement than a lot of schools ranked above us.



Yea, I'm a 1L here and I'd suggest at least waiting before you withdraw and come check out the school, etc. and do some research. Sit on the acceptance for a little while longer. Plus, you can negotiate the shit out of them for scholly money.

Last summer, I was all ready to attend Temple with a decent scholarship, then about 3 or 4 weeks before classes started, Villanova called and offerred a full ride. But from there, I was able to squeeze an extra $10k stipend per year from them, along with money for books each semester. All with a 2.0 stip, which is impossible to blow. When they called, and once I realized why they were doing this, I figured I could take the guy pretty far. So, in the span of a week of exchaning phone calls with admissions my offer went from: $15,000 per year with a 3.0 stip, to full ride with a 3.0 stip, to full ride with 2.0 stip, to full ride with 2.0 tip, plus $10k living stipend per year, to rull ride, 2.0 stip, $10k living per year and books, and in my final call, I made them knock out the the $500 administrative/seat deposit fee.

Exploit the opportunity -- they will do anything you tell them.

For refernce, my LSAT was a 159.


This is the best post I've ever read on TLS. :lol:

User avatar
JD Janitor
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby JD Janitor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm

In review 3/19

User avatar
JD Janitor
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby JD Janitor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Accepted today. Does scholarship info come with the acceptance email or is that seperate? (sorry if it has already been discussed)

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby neeko » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:43 pm

JD Janitor wrote:Accepted today. Does scholarship info come with the acceptance email or is that seperate? (sorry if it has already been discussed)


With email, they told me they were out of money.

SCOTUS40
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby SCOTUS40 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:18 pm

They are waiting to allocate more money, once they see who matriculates.

neeko wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:Accepted today. Does scholarship info come with the acceptance email or is that seperate? (sorry if it has already been discussed)


With email, they told me they were out of money.

SUCO
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby SUCO » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 pm

SCOTUS40 wrote:They are waiting to allocate more money, once they see who matriculates.

neeko wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:Accepted today. Does scholarship info come with the acceptance email or is that seperate? (sorry if it has already been discussed)


With email, they told me they were out of money.


Is it true the deposit deadline for people who attend ASD is April 15th instead of April 1st?

SCOTUS40
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby SCOTUS40 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Is it true the deposit deadline for people who attend ASD is April 15th instead of April 1st?[/quote]

Yes. I found that out the day I had an individual visit.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Kaziende, ls2016!, zeglo and 18 guests