Villanova 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BK201
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby BK201 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Does anyone know the prevalence of need based aid from Villanova? A rarity or no?

acirilli1722
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:22 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby acirilli1722 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Sherlock1708 wrote:
benburns214 wrote:Last status checker update... 1/12 :(


1/11. I'm beginning to think my application got lost in the shuffle from complete to in review.

Complete Nov 28, In review Feb 8, still waiting. They seem to be very very slow

Ronburgandy2468
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 am

It's been maybe 5 days since I submitted my application.
Is it normal for them to take this long just to email me a status checker?

SUCO
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby SUCO » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:It's been maybe 5 days since I submitted my application.
Is it normal for them to take this long just to email me a status checker?


Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, you should get the email any day now.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby benburns214 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:21 pm

They are so SLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Ronburgandy2468
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:27 pm

SUCO wrote:
Ronburgandy2468 wrote:It's been maybe 5 days since I submitted my application.
Is it normal for them to take this long just to email me a status checker?


Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, you should get the email any day now.


Every other school either sent me an email on the the first or the second day.
Lol five is a bit ridiculous. I think they forgot about me or something.
I mean I paid too!

SUCO
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby SUCO » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:
SUCO wrote:
Ronburgandy2468 wrote:It's been maybe 5 days since I submitted my application.
Is it normal for them to take this long just to email me a status checker?


Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, you should get the email any day now.


Every other school either sent me an email on the the first or the second day.
Lol five is a bit ridiculous. I think they forgot about me or something.
I mean I paid too!


Well it took 5 weeks for Hofstra to acknowledge I had applied so I mean it could be worse. Villanova may or may not be a bit slower right now because its a busy period in the cycle.

GatorCTS
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby GatorCTS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:
SUCO wrote:
Ronburgandy2468 wrote:It's been maybe 5 days since I submitted my application.
Is it normal for them to take this long just to email me a status checker?


Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, you should get the email any day now.


Every other school either sent me an email on the the first or the second day.
Lol five is a bit ridiculous. I think they forgot about me or something.
I mean I paid too!

Yea, I wouldn't worry. Each school takes a different amount of time to get back to you. It took Cincinnati almost a week to get back to me saying they received my application.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Eeryone mad

User avatar
zor
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby zor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:14 pm

In today via status checker and e-mail. I see people on this thread got their scholarship offers in their acceptance e-mail, but nothing here for me. I was really counting on a big scholly and hoping that's an error... should I wait for the packet in the mail or is e-mail the only way people were notified?

(164/3.8 with strong softs, seeing people with my numbers getting pretty nice schollys.)

User avatar
BK201
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby BK201 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:34 pm

zor wrote:In today via status checker and e-mail. I see people on this thread got their scholarship offers in their acceptance e-mail, but nothing here for me. I was really counting on a big scholly and hoping that's an error... should I wait for the packet in the mail or is e-mail the only way people were notified?

(164/3.8 with strong softs, seeing people with my numbers getting pretty nice schollys.)



With your numbers you should receive an offer but I don't know how much money is available at this point in the cycle. They may send you an offer when someone turns down theirs, but I would consider emailing them especially if you have offers from other schools or acceptances from schools ranked significantly higher.

amandacr
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby amandacr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 pm

I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova, which is obviously difficult to turn down. I'm starting to get concerned about the school's reputation - I was on another law school interview and mentioned I had been accepted. My interviewer mentioned the scandal a few years back with distaste. Has anyone heard if the ABA scandal is still a huge black mark on the school?

melk724
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby melk724 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 pm

amandacr wrote:I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova, which is obviously difficult to turn down. I'm starting to get concerned about the school's reputation - I was on another law school interview and mentioned I had been accepted. My interviewer mentioned the scandal a few years back with distaste. Has anyone heard if the ABA scandal is still a huge black mark on the school?
amandacr wrote:I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova, which is obviously difficult to turn down. I'm starting to get concerned about the school's reputation - I was on another law school interview and mentioned I had been accepted. My interviewer mentioned the scandal a few years back with distaste. Has anyone heard if the ABA scandal is still a huge black mark on the school?


I'm in the same boat. I was concerned at first but as I started to talk to people ( both students and lawyers) I got the sense that firms were not penalizing students for the bad judgment of a few employees. It affected Nova's rankings ( dropped from somewhere in the 60's to somewhere in the 80's) but apart from Penn, it seems like all Philadelphia based schools are viewed as pretty equal.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 pm

melk724 wrote:
amandacr wrote:I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova, which is obviously difficult to turn down. I'm starting to get concerned about the school's reputation - I was on another law school interview and mentioned I had been accepted. My interviewer mentioned the scandal a few years back with distaste. Has anyone heard if the ABA scandal is still a huge black mark on the school?
amandacr wrote:I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova, which is obviously difficult to turn down. I'm starting to get concerned about the school's reputation - I was on another law school interview and mentioned I had been accepted. My interviewer mentioned the scandal a few years back with distaste. Has anyone heard if the ABA scandal is still a huge black mark on the school?


I'm in the same boat. I was concerned at first but as I started to talk to people ( both students and lawyers) I got the sense that firms were not penalizing students for the bad judgment of a few employees. It affected Nova's rankings ( dropped from somewhere in the 60's to somewhere in the 80's) but apart from Penn, it seems like all Philadelphia based schools are viewed as pretty equal.

It wasn't included in the rankings from last year IIRC. Either way, ranking doesn't matter. Don't be that 0L that thinks they matter after 30 or so. If you come here, either be top 1/3 here or good luck trying to find something meaningful.

amandacr
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby amandacr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:
melk724 wrote:
amandacr wrote:I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova, which is obviously difficult to turn down. I'm starting to get concerned about the school's reputation - I was on another law school interview and mentioned I had been accepted. My interviewer mentioned the scandal a few years back with distaste. Has anyone heard if the ABA scandal is still a huge black mark on the school?
amandacr wrote:I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova, which is obviously difficult to turn down. I'm starting to get concerned about the school's reputation - I was on another law school interview and mentioned I had been accepted. My interviewer mentioned the scandal a few years back with distaste. Has anyone heard if the ABA scandal is still a huge black mark on the school?


I'm in the same boat. I was concerned at first but as I started to talk to people ( both students and lawyers) I got the sense that firms were not penalizing students for the bad judgment of a few employees. It affected Nova's rankings ( dropped from somewhere in the 60's to somewhere in the 80's) but apart from Penn, it seems like all Philadelphia based schools are viewed as pretty equal.

It wasn't included in the rankings from last year IIRC. Either way, ranking doesn't matter. Don't be that 0L that thinks they matter after 30 or so. If you come here, either be top 1/3 here or good luck trying to find something meaningful.


I'm not worried about ranking, just reputation. I just want to make sure my degree will be taken seriously. It's good to hear that firms aren't penalizing Villanova students.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 pm

amandacr wrote:I'm not worried about ranking, just reputation. I just want to make sure my degree will be taken seriously. It's good to hear that firms aren't penalizing Villanova students.

I went through OCI and it didn't appear to have any affect on this year. Villanova is a beloved school in the Philly area because there are so many undergrad/VLS alumni who stay around, and Philly is a very insular and tight-knit city (native here). It's the same with Temple. I'm externing at a federal agency right now and it's full of Nova/Temple grads who are 15-20 years out of law school.

parebare23
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby parebare23 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Had been admitted to Nova a few weeks back but my status checker just change to say that "seat deposit" had been received (check mark under the requirement section) - but I never sent one in. Has anyone else had this happen or may know why this happened??

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby grovevilleroad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 am

parebare23 wrote:Had been admitted to Nova a few weeks back but my status checker just change to say that "seat deposit" had been received (check mark under the requirement section) - but I never sent one in. Has anyone else had this happen or may know why this happened??


Not I

btowncane
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby btowncane » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:27 am

parebare23 wrote:Had been admitted to Nova a few weeks back but my status checker just change to say that "seat deposit" had been received (check mark under the requirement section) - but I never sent one in. Has anyone else had this happen or may know why this happened??


Mine has the same thing. Maybe our seat deposits have been waived. That'd be sweet haha.

parebare23
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby parebare23 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:03 am

btowncane wrote:
parebare23 wrote:Had been admitted to Nova a few weeks back but my status checker just change to say that "seat deposit" had been received (check mark under the requirement section) - but I never sent one in. Has anyone else had this happen or may know why this happened??


Mine has the same thing. Maybe our seat deposits have been waived. That'd be sweet haha.


Haha! I was secretly hoping the same thing - but didn't know if that sounded too logical or happens? I kinda want to contact the office but at the same time its like shhhh... haha I hope we find out what it means soon.

theramblinman
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby theramblinman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarship awards with them?

B986
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby B986 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm

theramblinman wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarship awards with them?


I sent an email a week or two ago just to the general admissions email address (probably a silly thing to do), and didn't hear back. I followed up yesterday with Alyssa someone (the admissions recruiter who had emailed me after being accepted), and she responded saying no additional funds are available at this time and to check back after the first seat deposit, April 15th. Please let me know if anyone has had any success!

theramblinman
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby theramblinman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:14 pm

That is unfortunate. I really wanted to be able to decide before that.

User avatar
Gavel
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby Gavel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:17 am

been complete for three months. No change in status since then.

davwrite
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Postby davwrite » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Gavel wrote:been complete for three months. No change in status since then.

complete since late january and the anticipation is killing me




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Nickel94 and 11 guests