Brooklyn Law School C/O 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zor

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn Law School C/O 2015

Post by zor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:56 pm

sd5289 wrote:I submitted the initial scholly and tuition deposits about a week ago, and received confirmation via email a few days later. It now shows up in my BLSConnect account as paid. I've decided to attend this fall to minimize debt after turning down lower offers at higher ranked schools as well. It was just impossible to say no to that much money.
Same here. I'll officially be attending in the fall!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:31 pm

zor wrote:Same here. I'll officially be attending in the fall!
Lol, see you this fall!!

keladry

New

Post by keladry » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:46 pm

sd5289 wrote:I submitted the initial scholly and tuition deposits about a week ago, and received confirmation via email a few days later. It now shows up in my BLSConnect account as paid. I've decided to attend this fall to minimize debt after turning down lower offers at higher ranked schools as well. It was just impossible to say no to that much money.
Ditto!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:56 pm

zor wrote:To people who mentioned stipends: did any of you wind up asking? I got a near-full ride as well, and figure it can't hurt to ask, but don't have a clue how to approach that question without sounding like a total jerk. Did anyone get a stipend this year?

I also submitted multiple deposits and they haven't contacted me. Anyone else? I will probably be attending in the fall but have some tempting offers from T30s.
Thy emailed me a $5,000 a year stipend on top of 48k a year. I didn't ask them for it though so I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:25 am

neeko wrote:
zor wrote:To people who mentioned stipends: did any of you wind up asking? I got a near-full ride as well, and figure it can't hurt to ask, but don't have a clue how to approach that question without sounding like a total jerk. Did anyone get a stipend this year?

I also submitted multiple deposits and they haven't contacted me. Anyone else? I will probably be attending in the fall but have some tempting offers from T30s.
Thy emailed me a $5,000 a year stipend on top of 48k a year. I didn't ask them for it though so I'm not sure how to go about doing that.
I got the same offer. Brooklyn, you are making my life very difficult! Argh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32 am

I did appeal, and I was granted the stipend as well. Really excited now! I didn't see a Facebook group but when I added the school and class year it said it would automatically add others to that group when they added the school to their profiles, so hopefully I'll be able to connect with you folks that way.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:32 am

Is BLS entering the "death spiral" described in the linked-to article below?

"Schools must now choose between admitting smaller entering classes (and sacrificing revenue) or dealing with a decline in the quality of their students — or both....Plunging student credentials create a spiral of decline as a school's reputation suffers, job prospects worsen, bar passage rates fall and more students transfer. Each dean hopes that other schools will drop faster in the U.S. News rankings."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinio ... 1544.story : An Op-Ed by a Professor at the University of Baltimore Law School and that school's former Dean (who was forced to resign after complaining to the ABA that the University of Baltimore was keeping 45% of the revenue its law school extracted from students.) http://abovethelaw.com/2011/07/a-law-de ... -students/

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:49 pm

zor, I didn't find a facebook group either and I don't see one now. When I added the school (last week), I didn't see anything about it automatically adding other people. Weird, but then again, I don't understand half of what facebook does.

manofjustice, smaller entering classes are a very good thing IMHO (though decline in quality is certainly concerning for the future of the legal profession), but the idea that deans are secretly hoping that their competitors drop "faster" or "first" in the rankings illustrate one more reason why the USNWR stranglehold on law school "rankings" should be dismantled.

lawstudent06789

New

Post by lawstudent06789 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:39 pm

sd5289 wrote:manofjustice, smaller entering classes are a very good thing IMHO (though decline in quality is certainly concerning for the future of the legal profession), but the idea that deans are secretly hoping that their competitors drop "faster" or "first" in the rankings illustrate one more reason why the USNWR stranglehold on law school "rankings" should be dismantled.
I would agree. I should hope that class sizes decrease drastically. But can the schools afford the drop? Have salaries and real estate expenditures gone too high? I know some law schools subsidize their parent universities: that will have to stop.

But the best part of the USNWR ranking is the GPA and LSAT median of an entering class. I would say schools should focus on that aspect of the ranking like a hawk.

pixleprincess

New

Post by pixleprincess » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 am

I'm 95% attending and very excited about it! Happy to minimize debt abd feel good about my career prospects there :) Also a 48k/5k recipient, and for the record I did ask for the stipend, just sent a polite email asking "is there anything else you can do as I make my decision"

One thing I was surprised by: admissions is still not "set" on what tuition will be next year... From what I could find online it seems like it in past ha sgone up ~1300 some years, i feel slightly mislead that 48k would cover 100% of tuition.. Is this typical or do I sound greedy? I know in the long run the money is negligible but it seems deceptive to offer 48k, the exact amount of this years tuition, all while expecting it to go up. All my other comparable offers specifically state "full tuition" for 3 yrs, I assumed if tuition ever went up people with "full rides" were bumped up the left over amount... Am I completely wrong about this? It just gave me a bad vibe about their recruiting, would make me suspect about future offers like fellowships or awards or who knows..

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:43 am

pixleprincess wrote:I'm 95% attending and very excited about it! Happy to minimize debt abd feel good about my career prospects there :) Also a 48k/5k recipient, and for the record I did ask for the stipend, just sent a polite email asking "is there anything else you can do as I make my decision"

One thing I was surprised by: admissions is still not "set" on what tuition will be next year... From what I could find online it seems like it in past ha sgone up ~1300 some years, i feel slightly mislead that 48k would cover 100% of tuition.. Is this typical or do I sound greedy? I know in the long run the money is negligible but it seems deceptive to offer 48k, the exact amount of this years tuition, all while expecting it to go up. All my other comparable offers specifically state "full tuition" for 3 yrs, I assumed if tuition ever went up people with "full rides" were bumped up the left over amount... Am I completely wrong about this? It just gave me a bad vibe about their recruiting, would make me suspect about future offers like fellowships or awards or who knows..
That also felt a little weird to me, but I don't feel like there's anything I can do about it, and it's not significant enough to count as a bait-and-switch. I think tuition right now is over $48k... isn't it $48,400 or something? But I assume my deposits will cover the difference.

So I still don't see a class of 2015 Facebook group... I'm not so hip with the Facebook (geezer here) but if no one else wants to I can try to make a group. Any other volunteers?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 am

pixleprincess wrote:I'm 95% attending and very excited about it! Happy to minimize debt abd feel good about my career prospects there :) Also a 48k/5k recipient, and for the record I did ask for the stipend, just sent a polite email asking "is there anything else you can do as I make my decision"

You sound smart--certainly not greedy for being concerned about your financial future. Don't commit to BLS until you see the 2013-1014 tuition.

Schools are facing sever financial pain, beginning last year and sharpening this year. Enrolling students are on track to go down almost 20% this year, on top of an 8% drop last year. Not since decades ago have there been so few enrolling law students. It remains to be seen how many schools will adapt. Some schools may not have the option of lowering tuition in real terms (i.e. offering scholarships and keeping tuition constant) for various well-known (and slightly scandalous) reasons. Other schools will.

It'll be a shakeout.

Don't buy something until you know how much it will cost.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am

zor wrote:

That also felt a little weird to me, but I don't feel like there's anything I can do about it, and it's not significant enough to count as a bait-and-switch. I think tuition right now is over $48k... isn't it $48,400 or something? But I assume my deposits will cover the difference.

So I still don't see a class of 2015 Facebook group... I'm not so hip with the Facebook (geezer here) but if no one else wants to I can try to make a group. Any other volunteers?
For all we know, BLS could take the 2010 route of many schools and jack tuition (in inflation-adjusted terms) from 5% (as Northwestern did) to 7.5% (as U Chicago did) to almost 18% (as the University at Buffalo did).

Just cite these numbers and demand, politely, to know what tuition will be before you commit.

Source: http://lawschooltuitionbubble.wordpress ... o-2011/#IL

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:53 am

zor wrote:That also felt a little weird to me, but I don't feel like there's anything I can do about it
Like, come on class of 2015, man up. Times are a changin: get on the right side of history here. (Gasp) demand to know how much your law school costs before attending!

I mean, with all due respect, you are adopting the attitude of your fathers law school applicant when now a days, we have a bursting bubble.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 am

zor wrote:

I'm concerned about this as well. I know BLS just received a pretty hefty endowment, but who knows what effect (if any) this would have on keeping the tuition increase low. BLS is not the only one who hasn't published 2012-2013 tuition yet; Cardozo also has 2011-2012 up on their website.

Speaking of which, I assume those of you in the same boat as me might have also received the phone call I did last night about them having "potential scholarship money" available if we'd like to reconsider our decision to withdraw? I was on the train when they called me, so it went to vm. I called back, but it was after 5, so I left a message with them. The message didn't say what kind of money we're talking about, so I'll be curious to see what they're willing to offer (if they call me back today). Assuming that it's also a full ride offer (if it's not, then the answer's no; why would I turn down a peer school's offer of a full ride?), then the question of "hey guys, how much are you going to be charging for the 2012-2013 school year?" needs an answer.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am

manofjustice wrote:Like, come on class of 2015, man up. Times are a changin: get on the right side of history here. (Gasp) demand to know how much your law school costs before attending!

I mean, with all due respect, you are adopting the attitude of your fathers law school applicant when now a days, we have a bursting bubble.
Please don't tell me what my attitude is. I successfully negotiated my scholarships at five schools, many of them multiple times. I and many of the people in these fora have been responsible, well-informed buyers. That doesn't mean we can force a school to do everything, and honestly BLS isn't the only school that hasn't posted the next year's tuition. In any case, I got almost $20k more a year than BLS originally offered me, so I don't feel like pearl-clutching over a few hundred bucks in tuition increases is a rational or useful reaction. It's not ideal, but with tuition already at a staggering $48k, I'm not convinced huge increases are in the works considering the huge drop in applicants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am

sd5289 wrote:
zor wrote:

I'm concerned about this as well. I know BLS just received a pretty hefty endowment, but who knows what effect (if any) this would have on keeping the tuition increase low. BLS is not the only one who hasn't published 2012-2013 tuition yet; Cardozo also has 2011-2012 up on their website.

Speaking of which, I assume those of you in the same boat as me might have also received the phone call I did last night about them having "potential scholarship money" available if we'd like to reconsider our decision to withdraw? I was on the train when they called me, so it went to vm. I called back, but it was after 5, so I left a message with them. The message didn't say what kind of money we're talking about, so I'll be curious to see what they're willing to offer (if they call me back today). Assuming that it's also a full ride offer (if it's not, then the answer's no; why would I turn down a peer school's offer of a full ride?), then the question of "hey guys, how much are you going to be charging for the 2012-2013 school year?" needs an answer.
Is it concerning to anyone else that BLS seems to be in the position of having to persuade many people who have already withdrawn to attend? I know most schools are struggling with down numbers, but BLS is the first to try to entice me with a handsome scholarship offer after I had officially withdrawn. To me this would suggest a serious struggle to fill seats with adequately strong applicants.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:41 am

B986 wrote: Is it concerning to anyone else that BLS seems to be in the position of having to persuade many people who have already withdrawn to attend? I know most schools are struggling with down numbers, but BLS is the first to try to entice me with a handsome scholarship offer after I had officially withdrawn. To me this would suggest a serious struggle to fill seats with adequately strong applicants.
Yep. So it seems to me that this year, the students do have the power to demand what our tuition will be before we attend. We should all also be getting some assurance as to what our tuition increases will be over the next 3 years.

Think about it: we are paying for the degree. What will it cost? We don't know, because schools don't tell us.

Schools counter: you are just paying for classes. We will tell you how much this year's classes will cost, and if you want to come back for a second or third year, we'll tell you then how much they will cost.

But we counter: you've already jacked up your tuition based on how much money we are supposed to make after getting a degree, not a semester's worth of classes. So tell us how much the degree will cost.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 am

The concern is simple. With so many scholarships, how is BLS going to keep the lights on next year without raising tuition?

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 am

B986 wrote:Is it concerning to anyone else that BLS seems to be in the position of having to persuade many people who have already withdrawn to attend? I know most schools are struggling with down numbers, but BLS is the first to try to entice me with a handsome scholarship offer after I had officially withdrawn. To me this would suggest a serious struggle to fill seats with adequately strong applicants.
I got the same offer from Cardozo when I withdrew. I think this is going to be the theme for this cycle, as applications are down so significantly. I've seen serious waitlist activity even on the T20s I got into.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 am

B986 wrote:Is it concerning to anyone else that BLS seems to be in the position of having to persuade many people who have already withdrawn to attend? I know most schools are struggling with down numbers, but BLS is the first to try to entice me with a handsome scholarship offer after I had officially withdrawn. To me this would suggest a serious struggle to fill seats with adequately strong applicants.
Yes. Part of me wonders if I sign on to one school, will I then graduate from a substantially lower ranked school in 2015? On the other hand, my query above was actually in relation to Cardozo, which I withdrew from when they initially said they had no scholarship money left. With applications and overall enrollment rates significantly down, and law schools reticent to actually lower their tuition rates in response, it's possible that we may be entering a period of application cycles where incoming students may have more bargaining power than they have had in recent years. What I would rather have though is lower tuition rates. That seems to be a fool's dream though, so I'll simply maximize what I can for my own career.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:23 am

B986 wrote:but BLS is the first to try to entice me with a handsome scholarship offer after I had officially withdrawn. To me this would suggest a serious struggle to fill seats with adequately strong applicants.
That's interesting. BLS is actually one of many who did this to me, and it ended up coming down to BLS v. Cardozo for me because I plan on staying in NYC and I didn't even like Fordham when I was there, so I certainly wasn't going to spend significantly more than I would at BLS or Cardozo (especially given my post-grad goals).

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 pm

sd5289 wrote:
B986 wrote:but BLS is the first to try to entice me with a handsome scholarship offer after I had officially withdrawn. To me this would suggest a serious struggle to fill seats with adequately strong applicants.
That's interesting. BLS is actually one of many who did this to me, and it ended up coming down to BLS v. Cardozo for me because I plan on staying in NYC and I didn't even like Fordham when I was there, so I certainly wasn't going to spend significantly more than I would at BLS or Cardozo (especially given my post-grad goals).
Prolly a good choice: scholly over Fordham.

PizzaShrapnel

Bronze

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:10 pm

just got a scholarship upgrade from 15000/year to 35500/year with a top 80% stipulation... had already withdrawn, also. Strange.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”