Brooklyn Law School C/O 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jsvaughn

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn Law School C/O 2015

Post by jsvaughn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:53 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notreallyhere

New

Post by notreallyhere » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:24 pm

If someone wants to make that Facebook group, I'd be more than happy to join. I'd make one myself, but I can't seem to be able to make a group without it wanting me to add friends to it, and I have no friends in the incoming class as of yet. :(

sardanapalian

New

Post by sardanapalian » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 pm

notreallyhere wrote:If someone wants to make that Facebook group, I'd be more than happy to join. I'd make one myself, but I can't seem to be able to make a group without it wanting me to add friends to it, and I have no friends in the incoming class as of yet. :(
Ditto

bstefans1

New

Post by bstefans1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:31 am

I'll make one tomorrow and post the link here.

bstefans1

New

Post by bstefans1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 pm

--LinkRemoved--

That's my Facebook. Someone add me because it says I have to add a friend in order to make the group. Just lemme know you saw my link on this forum so I know it's not some serial killer or something. I'll make the group after I get a few requests and post it here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notreallyhere

New

Post by notreallyhere » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 pm

You're not friendable.

bstefans1

New

Post by bstefans1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Fixed. Try it again.

bstefans1

New

Post by bstefans1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:16 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/448815085152149/

Here is the group for Class of 2015. Join up.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:34 am

Have any of you been able to fill out that Student Response form mandated in the enrollment instructions? Their website is mostly full of "Coming Soon..." pdfs and I wasn't able to find whatever form they're talking about...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MsKhrystyna

New

Post by MsKhrystyna » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Is anybody else on the housing wait list?

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Has anyone been able to make the $600 tuition down payment online? I signed up for their online service but now when I go there, I don't see where/how I can pay the $600 because it tells me that the amount due is $0. If anyone can help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

keladry

New

Post by keladry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:29 pm

zor wrote:Have any of you been able to fill out that Student Response form mandated in the enrollment instructions? Their website is mostly full of "Coming Soon..." pdfs and I wasn't able to find whatever form they're talking about...
If you click on the link to the new student checklist link (on the page linked to in the e-mail), you can get to the new student data form, the locker sign up, the demographic survey, and a few other forms.

Burton8219

New

Post by Burton8219 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Anyone know when tuition is due or if there's even a set date? I know there's no application deadline, so don't know if there's a general tuition deadline. On the waitlist and hope there's a final day of possible movement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keladry

New

Post by keladry » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Burton8219 wrote:Anyone know when tuition is due or if there's even a set date? I know there's no application deadline, so don't know if there's a general tuition deadline. On the waitlist and hope there's a final day of possible movement.
Tuition's due July 16th.

sadsituationJD

Bronze

Post by sadsituationJD » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Dear God, this thread is hilarious! Um, have you guys all been living in a cave for the past 8 or so years? What on Earth do you expect to accomplish with a degree from this pathetic TTT diploma mill, other than crushing debt and perpetual unemployment?

Also gotta LOL at those deciding b/t this TTTtoilet, 'Bozo, and Fordham. Kind of like picking between throat, lung, and pancreatic cancer!

I'm beyond speechless, lemmings. I really am.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/opini ... hools.html

sardanapalian

New

Post by sardanapalian » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:06 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:Dear God, this thread is hilarious! Um, have you guys all been living in a cave for the past 8 or so years? What on Earth do you expect to accomplish with a degree from this pathetic TTT diploma mill, other than crushing debt and perpetual unemployment?

Also gotta LOL at those deciding b/t this TTTtoilet, 'Bozo, and Fordham. Kind of like picking between throat, lung, and pancreatic cancer!

I'm beyond speechless, lemmings. I really am.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/opini ... hools.html

Obviously, you're not very speechless.

Also, you cited a link from an opinion column. I'm sure you can find someone who would be willing to write about how attending HLS is overrated and there should just be no attorneys at all. An opinion is just an opinion.

If you really feel that strongly about BLS, there's a simple solution... don't go there.
Worry about yourself, brah.

1TLStudent

New

Post by 1TLStudent » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 am

brooklyn law school is being sued by its own grads...why dont you all worry about yourselfs and not go here...we are worried about ourselves because its ppl goin to these horseshit schools that are oversaturating the market and bringing salaries down all around...if this is the best school you got into, then you shouldnt be going to law school...you're not smart enough...not an elitist POV just a realist one..if you are goin here on scholly (and i mean a real substantial one, not a <50% one) thats (slightly) another story but you should still reconsider because if you cant secure a scholly to a better school than youre prolly just barely making the cutoff for the future employed lawyers and you're gonna end up gettin a shitlaw job that pays less than sumthing you coulda found if you worked in the real world for a few years but not with any debt.
if you don't get into a top 50= dont go
if you don't get into a top 25= retake
if you don't get into a top 14= dont worry be happy (that you're not going to brooklyn!)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sardanapalian

New

Post by sardanapalian » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm

If we're content with going to Brooklyn, then why should it really bother you that much?
Sure, we're "oversaturating" the market, but I think that's more true of NYLS, Touro, etc.
Regardless, if whichever school you are attending is really that much better than Brooklyn and we'll always be passed over by employers so they can hire from your school, then the fact that we're trying to get jobs in the same market shouldn't matter at all.
If we're "bringing salaries down" because there are more of us, then that means that employers must not think you are as irreplaceable as you think you are; if they wouldn't consider hiring us, then using us as a tool to justify lower salaries is simply a bluff. Care to call them out on it? It seems like you're pretty damn sure of yourself.

Anyway, were any of you able to sign up for a locker and stuff? I wasn't able to find where to do that on blsconnect.

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:18 pm

sardanapalian wrote:
Anyway, were any of you able to sign up for a locker and stuff? I wasn't able to find where to do that on blsconnect.

When on BLS Connect, go to Student Life -> Campus Life and you will see "Lockers" as one of the options. From there you will be able to sign up for one.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Sage advice above from someone who posted this in the following thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p5527621

...and subsequently deleted it in a duplicate thread s/he posted here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=185380

P.S. Not even a little bit surprised that you're still in UG. A few years off from school and some real life work experience would probably do wonders for both your method of communication and your manners.
1TLStudent wrote:Throwaway account. First things first, these are my app cycle results;

U Penn, U Virginia, Boston U, Fordham, UC Irvine: Denied
George Mason, Villanova: Waitlisted
U Illinois: Accepted off WL with 15k/yr up from initial offer of 11k/yr.
Chicago-Kent (T2): Accepted with 13k/yr
U San Francisco (T2-T3): Accepted with 21k/yr

Please note that I had to apply before my 2nd LSAT score were released, which is why I have some schools listed that would seem absurd to apply to given my stats. I also was limited this cycle to schools that had deadlines past 2/1/12.

I have a 2.75 LSAC GPA, probably will be at 2.8-2.9 by the end of summer when I graduate UG. Double major; POSC and PHIL/LWSO. Major LSAC GPAs are 3.122 and 3.0. I have received a 3.5 or higher the past 3 quarters, albeit taking only 8 units for the last 2. I have taken the LSAT twice, and received a 155 (12/10) and 166 (2/12). I am registered to take it in again in June. My apps were all worked on after my second LSAT, giving me less than a month for most (including personal statements, etc). I applied on the deadline day for all schools except Fordham and Illinois. I did those about 15 days before the deadline.

Burton8219

New

Post by Burton8219 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 pm

sd5289 wrote:Sage advice above from someone who posted this in the following thread:

P.S. Not even a little bit surprised that you're still in UG. A few years off from school and some real life work experience would probably do wonders for both your method of communication and your manners.
1TLStudent wrote:Throwaway account. First things first, these are my app cycle results;

Please note that I had to apply before my 2nd LSAT score were released, which is why I have some schools listed that would seem absurd to apply to given my stats. I also was limited this cycle to schools that had deadlines past 2/1/12.

I have a 2.75 LSAC GPA, probably will be at 2.8-2.9 by the end of summer when I graduate UG. Double major; POSC and PHIL/LWSO. Major LSAC GPAs are 3.122 and 3.0. I have received a 3.5 or higher the past 3 quarters, albeit taking only 8 units for the last 2. I have taken the LSAT twice, and received a 155 (12/10) and 166 (2/12). I am registered to take it in again in June. My apps were all worked on after my second LSAT, giving me less than a month for most (including personal statements, etc). I applied on the deadline day for all schools except Fordham and Illinois. I did those about 15 days before the deadline.
This is incredible haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

1TLStudent

New

Post by 1TLStudent » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:14 am

sd5289 wrote:Sage advice above from someone who posted this in the following thread:

I have a 2.75 LSAC GPA, probably will be at 2.8-2.9 by the end of summer when I graduate UG. Double major; POSC and PHIL/LWSO. Major LSAC GPAs are 3.122 and 3.0. I have received a 3.5 or higher the past 3 quarters, albeit taking only 8 units for the last 2. I have taken the LSAT twice, and received a 155 (12/10) and 166 (2/12). I am registered to take it again in June. My apps were all worked on after my second LSAT, giving me less than a month for most (including personal statements, etc). I applied on the deadline day for all schools except Fordham and Illinois. I did those about 15 days before the deadline.
First off, I am a 'he' JSYK. Second, I still gained acceptance to a school superior to the one you are planning on attending (don't worry skip, I know you'll be at Dozo and not BLS) with a horrible UG track record and while applying not just late, but on the last possible day (Illinois' app I sent in 2 weeks before the last day). This speaks volumes about my personal statement (seeing as I have no real softs) which, in turn, speaks more about my 'communication skills' than what little you have ascertained about it from stalking my 20-or-so posts on a forum site.

Also, I had to delete the duplicate post because of a TLS admin requesting me to do so, but I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with that anyways. In any case, I was accepted to a tier 1 school with a 33% scholly (GM also accepted me off the wait list later on) and I am adhering to my "sage advice" which is retake or reassess becoming an attorney, especially in this market.

Speaking of sage advice, I did a little stalking of my own and I love this post of yours (Which was a post in a thread entitled "Why do people attend schools like BLS/Cardozo/SH, etc?")
sd5289 wrote:To the OP, what I don't actually understand is why people come here to attend school having never set foot in this city, which seemed to be more the norm at the ASD's I was at in March. I'm really too entrenched now to leave (so thankfully I still like it here), and I simply don't trust the prospect of going somewhere else where I know absolutely no one. I've worked here for years and if there's one incredibly unfair advantage you can be sure I'll be using, it's the fact that I know and am on good terms with the very people in charge of hiring at the agencies I'm interested in working at. With the exception of my entry level job in the legal field, where I busted my ass to make a good impression, every subsequent hire has been because I know someone who knows somebody who can put in a good word. That's just how it works here. Granted, you *might* be able to make some of these connections while in school but let's face it, no one really takes 1L and 2L interns/externs all that seriously anyway. Even if you are an NYU or Columbia kid, you were still facing a market that didn't take every member of your graduating class even before the economy crashed. If you're really dead set on coming to New York (or another heavily saturated market),do yourself a favor: move there, find a job, get used to the shock of $1000+ per month rent, and go to law school only AFTER you've made the connections you'll need to fall back on when it comes to hiring season. Otherwise, stay home. And hey, it can even help you make a more rational decision as to whether or not this is actually the right step for you rather than jumping into it because *gasp* you're 23 and not doing anything with your English degree.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the original question: people ought to go to these schools, ON scholarship, if they plan to work some kind of city, state, or nonprofit position and cannot afford the tuition of a T14 in say, Michigan (besides, the Brooklyn DA's office, for example, couldn't really give a damn about someone from Ann Arbor). It's not necessary to secure those jobs if you have all of the things I discussed above. I plan on aiming for a Skadden or Equal Justice Works fellowship post-grad, then the DA's office, and then attempt to hit the federal level. I'm playing around with the idea of clerking as well. Point being, I don't want BigLaw. Never have. I understand some people do, but it's not for me. But I certainly wasn't going to pay "BigLaw prices" for a school that had a snowball's chance in hell of getting me there if I wanted to. BLS and Dozo both have fairly good placement in NYC for public interest/gov't work, and I suspect that's why people go there (myself included; I opted for Dozo because I liked it better). However, they'd be nuts to go there w/o substantial scholarship, and I can't understand why I seemed to be in the minority of people bouncing the two off each other in order to get increased scholarship amounts.
Not only is there so much wrong with your advice (undoubtedly gained from the wisdom which is apparently ONLY attainable after UG according to you, the Law School/Life Guru) but your confidence seems to stem from having everything set for yourself from your brown-nosing after UG. The bold in the edit section shows that you say they should only go if they get scholly and want non-big law city/state/non prof work and also that that is why most go there in the first place. Kinda the same as saying "if you are goin here on scholly (and i mean a real substantial one, not a <50% one) thats (slightly) another story" as I put it. Your also saying how NYU and Columbia grads had uncertainty before the market went downhill but then promoting the decision to go to the 5th best school in the city?...

OH AND The bold part at the bottom strangely resembles the advice you were bashing in my post, but I guess it's not credible until after I have a diploma up my ass (which is where I'm assuming yours is safely nestled? But then again...what do I know? I'm still in UG). The fact is that the anecdotal evidence and knowledge you've attained from your year (or however long) out of UG pales in comparison to my analytical prowess and I don't need to spend time out of UG to know that I'd devour ppl like you during law school (and later on).

As a sign-off, please don't help propagate the exact horseshit pipe dreams that these types of schools did and are now being sued for.

One additional note to all the other posters on this thread; Please don't let this spat between me and this guy deter you from the law if that is your vocation in life. BLS isn't totally a closed door to the law/success. While I do not believe that hard work alone can make up for a lack of intellect, ability or skill (however slight it may be), I do believe there is nothing stronger (other than intellect) than passion and if you have it, you can make it happen. I wish you all the best and hope you can prove me wrong (yes i guess even you sd).

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 am

a) Not a dude. Apparently the RBG avatar didn't do enough to give that one away...

b) Small suggestion: you might want to check around your computer desk for any extra straw that might be hanging around after all of the "arguments" you attributed to me in your last post. There's gotta be some left after that diatribe.

c) Hah, I kinda like the title of "Law School/Life Guru." Thank you!

d) On the only serious note I'll make in response to your ranting (which seems to be the only language you speak), I don't disagree that there are many people spontaneously making the decision to go to law school who either shouldn't go or should put a LOT more thought into the decision and maximize their options. Since you've clearly done the same that I did to you, which was to review our post history, you undoubtedly found that I've been incredibly consistent on that point. I don't disagree with (some of) what you were saying; I vehemently disagreed with the manner in which you presented it. There's a significant difference between having a well-reasoned discussion of the risks of attending a second tier law school (even more so if one is paying "sticker" price) vs the probable employment outcomes, and what you did in here which was basically came into a Class of 2015 thread for a school you have no intention of attending and bashing the hell out of the people in here. If you're as confident as you say you are about your choices and your decisions in the law school process, why act so threatened by the people in this thread who couldn't possibly hope to attain your high stature [/sarcasm]? Your inflammatory and reactionary post only solidifies that. You say you have a "horrible UG track record" and applied to schools last minute. You seem to see that as "oh hey, look at how awesome I am when I didn't even try." Others may see it as "wow, look at how horribly irresponsible that kid is." Now, as you're reading this I'm sure your gut reaction is to pound out another flurry of justifications and/or so-called arguments on your keyboard. However, please try to breathe for a second and see that if you continue to operate in the manner you do through law school, your future potential employers and colleagues may not be entirely impressed. I'm glad you liked my post. I wrote it with the serious hiring crisis in mind, and while I never stated that all "straight from UG" law students are screwed, the ones who are not at the top of their class or at HYS might be. Without the work experience and serious connections in the market one intends to work in like I discussed in that post, a student at Cardozo or BLS who is not at the top of their class is more than likely going to be in some very serious trouble come 3L year. I don't believe I'm guaranteed a job by any means; however, with a full ride and the experience/connections that I do have, I certainly have more wiggle room than someone who might not.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have other guru titles to attain before the fall semester starts.

1TLStudent

New

Post by 1TLStudent » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:37 pm

sd5289 wrote:a) Not a dude. Apparently the RBG avatar didn't do enough to give that one away...

b) Small suggestion: you might want to check around your computer desk for any extra straw that might be hanging around after all of the "arguments" you attributed to me in your last post. There's gotta be some left after that diatribe.

c) Hah, I kinda like the title of "Law School/Life Guru." Thank you!

d) On the only serious note I'll make in response to your ranting (which seems to be the only language you speak), I don't disagree that there are many people spontaneously making the decision to go to law school who either shouldn't go or should put a LOT more thought into the decision and maximize their options. Since you've clearly done the same that I did to you, which was to review our post history, you undoubtedly found that I've been incredibly consistent on that point. I don't disagree with (some of) what you were saying; I vehemently disagreed with the manner in which you presented it. There's a significant difference between having a well-reasoned discussion of the risks of attending a second tier law school (even more so if one is paying "sticker" price) vs the probable employment outcomes, and what you did in here which was basically came into a Class of 2015 thread for a school you have no intention of attending and bashing the hell out of the people in here. If you're as confident as you say you are about your choices and your decisions in the law school process, why act so threatened by the people in this thread who couldn't possibly hope to attain your high stature [/sarcasm]? Your inflammatory and reactionary post only solidifies that. You say you have a "horrible UG track record" and applied to schools last minute. You seem to see that as "oh hey, look at how awesome I am when I didn't even try." Others may see it as "wow, look at how horribly irresponsible that kid is." Now, as you're reading this I'm sure your gut reaction is to pound out another flurry of justifications and/or so-called arguments on your keyboard. However, please try to breathe for a second and see that if you continue to operate in the manner you do through law school, your future potential employers and colleagues may not be entirely impressed. I'm glad you liked my post. I wrote it with the serious hiring crisis in mind, and while I never stated that all "straight from UG" law students are screwed, the ones who are not at the top of their class or at HYS might be. Without the work experience and serious connections in the market one intends to work in like I discussed in that post, a student at Cardozo or BLS who is not at the top of their class is more than likely going to be in some very serious trouble come 3L year. I don't believe I'm guaranteed a job by any means; however, with a full ride and the experience/connections that I do have, I certainly have more wiggle room than someone who might not.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have other guru titles to attain before the fall semester starts.
a. I still have no idea what that avatar is haha sorry for calling you a dude tho
b. haha what strawman? I think I correctly surmarized your argument from that single post and was just pointing out the consistency between our two posts not dinging your other args with strawman versions.
c.damnit your right it is kinda catchy...if it catches on i'll expect a thankyou post haha
d. My tone varies with whom I'm addressing. The first post was addressing solely unqualified people who go to law school when they should not [and I don't think all students going to BLS are in this boat (maybe just the bottom third to half but this thread was a way to reach as many of those as I possibly could at once)]. The second was addressing a person who (I felt) personally attacked myself and my credentials. This one is addressing someone who made a couple good points and a couple that I will agree to disagree with (hopefully the difference in my tone in this post is evident; not as "ranty" as my previous, I hope haha). I'll summarize which points I feel are which:

The Good (points): Yes, you are consistent throughout your posts about your views. Yes, my initial post may have lacked tact a little. Fine, alot haha. And yes, IF I were to speak like that always (exact opposite of how I normally do) than I am sure it would deter most people in general.

The Bad (points): While consistent in your views, the consistency sort of lacks in respect to your criticism of my views and your own view in certain posts(I only read a handful of yours, you have far too many to look through). Also, I am not threatened in the least, I just hate how unqualified people barely scraping through law school inevitably only end up lowering market rates for attorneys in general or suing their alma mater. And the culture of TLS is to post in myriad threads that don't pertain to your specific or intended course and I was only directed to it because I was looking at sumbody else's previous comment who wrote in another thread I posted in and also this one. The 'inflammatory and reactionary post' is not evidence of me feeling threatened but me feeling insulted by what you were trying to insinuate by the portion of my post which you quoted (which is that I don't have the right to talk about being unqualified to be an attorney or law student because I lack in either intellect skill ability or work ethic and in turn may be one of those unqualified candidates myself). Since it also served to discredit the valid points I brought up in my initial post by the viewers thinking I'm an idiot, I wanted them to know this wasn't the case and that was (whether or not effective) how I chose to do it (seeing as there are only a few ways to rebut "You are stupid, look at your record" on a forum other than the record itself; which is, as I've said, less than stellar). It was not because I was trying to say "oh hey, look at how awesome I am when I didn't even try." But I totally see why you would read it that way, as alot of ppl do that in general. And I don't think that coming straight out of UG is a bad thing at all, b/c both sides have pluses and minuses IMO, but a lot of people that don't go straight from UG always try to belittle those who go straight through with condescension so hopefully you can see why I read yours as an attack and ranted at the end of my second post a little about the diploma, etc.

The Ugly: That avatar! haha no offense intended if its a role model/hero of yours but seriously who is that?

In all seriousness and jokes aside, congrats on the full ride to dozo and what seems to be excellent networking skills you've acquired from your time after UG. You seem to be in a good position for success and I don't wish anything contradicting that for you. I hope we'll have a chance to mock (or real) trial against one another in the future as I do hope to end up in NY also (grew up in jersey as a kid and love the city). Until then, Law School/Life Guru, best of luck in LS.

for whom it may be unbeknownst to: The good, the bad and the ugly is an old clint eastwood movie. Not a favorite or even one I've seen in full. Just a fitting title to subtitle my response with :)

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Congratulations to all the people in this thread who have snagged big scholarships (30K plus per year) to Brooklyn for Class of '15! You're going to spend three years in the greatest city in the world, pick up a JD at a bargain price, and hopefully graduate into an improving economy. Pretty shrewd!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”