Brooklyn Law School C/O 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MonkeyBizness654

New

Re: Brooklyn Law School C/O 2015

Post by MonkeyBizness654 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:25 pm

swishin and dishin wrote:I find myself in a very similar position to many of you, in considering $$$ at Brooklyn and $/$$ at Fordham. I think it would be great if we could all dialogue about our situations and consider the pros/cons of the two schools. If anyone would like to discuss their situation (Fordham v Brooklyn) I would love to talk about it, to sort of get a feel for how you all are approaching it.

Thanks so much
To be honest, (and I'm partial having spent my 1L at BLS), I really think that Fordham has some cache that doesn't translate into marketability. I know just as many Fordham 3Ls who are still looking for jobs as I do BLS 3Ls. Also, for what it's worth, BLS and Fordham each have 1 2L in my summer class of over 100.

I think to the extent that you have to choose, if you're getting significantly more from BLS, I'd say go for it (and if the situation were reversed--I'd be suggesting you go to Fordham).

swishin and dishin

New

Post by swishin and dishin » Wed May 02, 2012 10:36 am

Anybody know the max award at Brooklyn, and what the school is usually looking for when it comes to handing it out?

I have heard of full + 5k stipend, but I am wondering if housing is ever partially included or discounted. Those are some pretty steep figures on their site for university housing.

Thanks

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 am

swishin and dishin wrote:Anybody know the max award at Brooklyn, and what the school is usually looking for when it comes to handing it out?

I have heard of full + 5k stipend, but I am wondering if housing is ever partially included or discounted. Those are some pretty steep figures on their site for university housing.

Thanks

Did you do the math to figure out how much it is per month? I haven't been on the website, but my friend who goes to Brooklyn says she pays about $1800/month for a 1BR. That's not dirt cheap, but that doesn't seem unreasonable either. When I was looking at apartments in Brooklyn Heights it seemed like the average rent (at least in the buildings I was looking at) was about $1900 for a 1BR.

swishin and dishin

New

Post by swishin and dishin » Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 am

Sorry, I guess I was just speaking relative to the $400 I paid while in undergrad. I visited the area and it really is amazing, I guess it will just take a while to get adjusted to NYC prices.

Thanks though -- still interested in learning about max award if anyone has any addtl info

Best
apslaw1031 wrote:
swishin and dishin wrote:Anybody know the max award at Brooklyn, and what the school is usually looking for when it comes to handing it out?

Thanks

Did you do the math to figure out how much it is per month? I haven't been on the website, but my friend who goes to Brooklyn says she pays about $1800/month for a 1BR. That's not dirt cheap, but that doesn't seem unreasonable either. When I was looking at apartments in Brooklyn Heights it seemed like the average rent (at least in the buildings I was looking at) was about $1900 for a 1BR.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:36 pm

B986 wrote:It's just been hard to walk away from an (almost) full ride.
I actually did walk away from a full ride (living stipend and everything), but it was at a different school that I knew wasn't going to give me the kind of support I needed for what I plan on doing. It was still hard though and I do wonder sometimes whether it was the right decision, but I walk through every reason why it was in my head and remember that it was. My decision was based on visiting the schools in question though, and I think getting "the right fit" is more undervalued then it should be. This is where you'll be spending the next 3 years of your life after all. It just comes down to how much you're willing to pay for the right fit school for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MCtrace

New

Post by MCtrace » Wed May 02, 2012 5:46 pm

MCtrace wrote:Anyone else on here still waiting to hear back? My application became complete around March 1st and the last review date posted on my status page was March 14th. I have a feeling the news isn't going to be good since it seems a lot of people have found out already. I really want to go to BLS but I've been accepted at Suffolk and Pitt and need to start making decisions. I know the process takes awhile but anyone have any comments for a worried applicant? :shock: Thanks!

In case anyone is in the same status page situation, I heard back today finally. I'm on the wait list (157, 3.5). Good luck to everyone else! I know someone asked this earlier but, anyone in off the wait list? I know timeframes are hard to predict but I'm hoping to get an idea. Thanks!

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm

MCtrace wrote:

In case anyone is in the same status page situation, I heard back today finally. I'm on the wait list (157, 3.5). Good luck to everyone else! I know someone asked this earlier but, anyone in off the wait list? I know timeframes are hard to predict but I'm hoping to get an idea. Thanks!
I heard back on Monday... I'm also on the wait list.
I'm wondering this too.
Also, when were the deposits for those of you that were admitted earlier in the cycle?
I'm guessing that many more of us waitlisted applicants will start to hear a week or two after the deposit deadline.

thomaslaw

New

Post by thomaslaw » Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 pm

My page was updated today from "in review" to "deposit paid." Anyone else get this? I hope that means I'm in.

keladry

New

Post by keladry » Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:Also, when were the deposits for those of you that were admitted earlier in the cycle?
I'm guessing that many more of us waitlisted applicants will start to hear a week or two after the deposit deadline.
Seat deposit was 4/15, housing/merit scholarship deposit was postmarked by 5/1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:03 pm

I didn't submit either deposit, but I got an email from admissions asking for a deposit and them hoping that I will attend. I responded back essentially saying that I got the same amount of $$$ from a higher-ranked, though still peer, school, and basically implied that receiving more money would make me more likely to attend (which is true). I'm still waiting for a response on that. I wouldn't really use the deposit deadlines as an indication of when you may hear from the WL. Other threads are showing a similar pattern of people withdrawing and/or not submitting deposits and getting contacted by the school.

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

sd5289 wrote:I didn't submit either deposit, but I got an email from admissions asking for a deposit and them hoping that I will attend. I responded back essentially saying that I got the same amount of $$$ from a higher-ranked, though still peer, school, and basically implied that receiving more money would make me more likely to attend (which is true). I'm still waiting for a response on that. I wouldn't really use the deposit deadlines as an indication of when you may hear from the WL. Other threads are showing a similar pattern of people withdrawing and/or not submitting deposits and getting contacted by the school.
Oh, I hadn't even thought of that.
I just figured that it wouldn't be likely that we would hear before the deadline or even a week or two after, not that we would definitely hear by then.
Who knows! I'll just sit here with my fingers crossed in the meantime.

keladry

New

Post by keladry » Wed May 02, 2012 10:04 pm

The other thing to keep in mind is that BLS doesn't have a normal application deadline. I can't remember when it is -- sometime in July or August, maybe?

pat4redick

New

Post by pat4redick » Thu May 03, 2012 11:03 am

Hey guys, I was recently bumped up to a full ride from BLS. I recall seeing something about full tuition and 5K stipend as the highest award? And reading the information on the website about scholarship renewal, all you have to do is remain in the upper 80% of the class? Does the qualify for full renewal?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 am

pat4redick wrote:Hey guys, I was recently bumped up to a full ride from BLS. I recall seeing something about full tuition and 5K stipend as the highest award? And reading the information on the website about scholarship renewal, all you have to do is remain in the upper 80% of the class? Does the qualify for full renewal?
The does qualify.

Read your paperwork, stips should be in there.

pat4redick

New

Post by pat4redick » Thu May 03, 2012 11:17 am

DTDT wrote:
pat4redick wrote:Hey guys, I was recently bumped up to a full ride from BLS. I recall seeing something about full tuition and 5K stipend as the highest award? And reading the information on the website about scholarship renewal, all you have to do is remain in the upper 80% of the class? Does the qualify for full renewal?
The does qualify.

Read your paperwork, stips should be in there.
That is what I thought but an earlier post mentioned something about 40% for full renewal. Just wanted to double check.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 am

I'm strongly considering attending BLS...

Has anyone made a FB group yet for the C/O 2015? I'm a Facebook newb, so this falls outside my depth.

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 am

I just gave up some cash, hopefully someone else gets an email today!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Wed May 09, 2012 11:15 am

In off waitlist after replying to the WL interest email late last night.
Doubt I'll be getting much (if any) money so chances are I will be retaking/waiting on UIUC/or taking my 12k/yr guaranteed at Chicago-Kent (and foregoing living costs by commuting from my parents' house).
As much as I tell myself I'd sell my soul to end up in NYC, I just can't justify taking on over 100k in debt for a degree that may or may not guarantee me a comfortable living post-graduation...

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Wed May 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Responded to interest e-mail yesterday re waitlist, received BLSConnect login info just now. I'm guessing this means I'm in! :D

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 am

Jesus. I just got a significant scholly increase up to a near full ride. I was totally set on Cardozo too, and now I just don't know. Goddamnit I thought my decision had already been made! (good problem though I guess)

Burton8219

New

Post by Burton8219 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 am

postn0bills wrote:Responded to interest e-mail yesterday re waitlist, received BLSConnect login info just now. I'm guessing this means I'm in! :D
ashen wrote:In off waitlist after replying to the WL interest email late last night.
Doubt I'll be getting much (if any) money so chances are I will be retaking/waiting on UIUC/or taking my 12k/yr guaranteed at Chicago-Kent (and foregoing living costs by commuting from my parents' house).
As much as I tell myself I'd sell my soul to end up in NYC, I just can't justify taking on over 100k in debt for a degree that may or may not guarantee me a comfortable living post-graduation...
Was this the initial waitlist email with the waitlist form or a secondary email? And numbers if you guys don't mind?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Well then, in a crazy turn of events over the past 48 hrs, it looks like I'll be one of the incoming members of the Brooklyn Law Class of 2015! As far as I can tell, they've switched from the top 40% stip to the top 80% (I confirmed that my increase was subject to the same stipulation and they said yes earlier this morning). Once Cardozo said "we're out of money," this was an easy decision to make. See y'all this fall.

Oh, and a Shake Shack just opened up across the street. Black & white shakes FTW.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Mon May 28, 2012 10:41 am

To people who mentioned stipends: did any of you wind up asking? I got a near-full ride as well, and figure it can't hurt to ask, but don't have a clue how to approach that question without sounding like a total jerk. Did anyone get a stipend this year?

I also submitted multiple deposits and they haven't contacted me. Anyone else? I will probably be attending in the fall but have some tempting offers from T30s.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm

zor wrote:I also submitted multiple deposits and they haven't contacted me. Anyone else? I will probably be attending in the fall but have some tempting offers from T30s.
I submitted the initial scholly and tuition deposits about a week ago, and received confirmation via email a few days later. It now shows up in my BLSConnect account as paid. I've decided to attend this fall to minimize debt after turning down lower offers at higher ranked schools as well. It was just impossible to say no to that much money.

Burton8219

New

Post by Burton8219 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Have we seen any waitlist movement since the second deposit deadline last Friday?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”