Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New England Law | Boston 2015
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:14 am 

+1 Evening

Post subject: Re: New England Law | Boston 2015
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am 

Also in part-time. But I won't be considering it unless they give me a sizable scholarship to make it more appealing than Suffolk, Maine, UNH etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:12 am 

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
Also in part-time. But I won't be considering it unless they give me a sizable scholarship to make it more appealing than Suffolk, Maine, UNH etc.

I am in Evening program as well!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 am 

154/3.27 accepted full-time back in November with a $20,000 scholarship (just found out about the scholarship today via phone call). Already withdrawn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm 

Accepted part time! Debating between here and William mitchelll. Woot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm 

paolonangcas wrote:
Accepted part time! Debating between here and William mitchelll. Woot.

Congrats! I'm in part time as well. Come to Boston!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 am 

Accepted full-time. I want to practice in NY, so I am unsure as to if I'm going to attend. Can any current students tell me about the school and the area?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 pm 

aclaw55 wrote:
Accepted full-time. I want to practice in NY, so I am unsure as to if I'm going to attend. Can any current students tell me about the school and the area?

I am an incoming student from New York and I did notice that had several classes in NY Practice and that NESL students mostly sit for the MA and NY bars so you should get some decent exposure to NY Law (but of course not as much as if you went to school in NYS).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am 

jnelsi wrote:
aclaw55 wrote:

I am an incoming student from New York and I did notice that had several classes in NY Practice and that NESL students mostly sit for the MA and NY bars so you should get some decent exposure to NY Law (but of course not as much as if you went to school in NYS).

Glad to here that they offer several classes in NY Practice, although I think if my goal was to practice in NY the networking opportunities would be better if I attended a New York school. I missed the admitted students day, but I am thinking about making a visit in the next two weeks before I ultimately make a final decision.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:01 am 

aclaw55 wrote:
jnelsi wrote:
aclaw55 wrote:

Glad to here that they offer several classes in NY Practice, although I think if my goal was to practice in NY the networking opportunities would be better if I attended a New York school. I missed the admitted students day, but I am thinking about making a visit in the next two weeks before I ultimately make a final decision.

It's worth the visit. I found them very helpful and informative.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 pm 

i was just waitlisted!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:50 pm 

ashleyryan wrote:
i was just waitlisted!

I just withdrew so Good Luck to you! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am 

cpinker3 wrote:
ashleyryan wrote:
i was just waitlisted!

I just withdrew so Good Luck to you! :)

aw thanks!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm 

Also wait listed, does anyone know of typically when the waitlist begins to be utilized?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:00 pm 

DON'T GO HERE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 pm 

JoeMo wrote:
DON'T GO HERE.

Jerk :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:08 pm 

jnelsi wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
DON'T GO HERE.

.....noted. But some information to my question would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:12 pm 

Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
jnelsi wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
DON'T GO HERE.

.....noted. But some information to my question would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

No, I'm really not being a jerk. I mean, I guess it depends on the specific situation but unless you have a full ride I wouldn't go.

NEL is not very well regarded in the Boston area. I doubt it has a presence outside of the Boston area at all.

I know a few people that went there and now deeply regret it. I know it's attractive because of their evening program but a degree from there isn't worth very much these days. I know one person that is stuck working as a clerk in a courthouse (not a prestigious clerk position with a judge but like the clerk you go see when you go to the courthouse) and making $32,000/yr. For someone with a law degree and tons of debt this is no way to live.

If you increase your LSAT by a couple of points you could probably get into Suffolk which isn't necessarily a much better school but its reputation in Boston is still solid.

If you're looking to practice outside of the Boston area neither school is going to offer that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm 

Sorry for the double post:

Don't go too far just look at their profile on TLS: http://www.top-law-schools.com/new-engl ... oston.html

84% employed 9 months out. That means 16% are completely unemployed. Out of that 84% do you know how many are temping or working part-time or in non-JD required jobs? It's probably a greater percentage than you'd think.

And the median salary in the private sector is $67,500 meaning that half of the people make less than that. How much are you paying to make that little? Seriously, think about it before you enroll.

Full disclosure: I was considering going there or to Suffolk because I wanted to continue to work and go to LS part-time. I'm glad a friend of mine sat me down and had this conversation with me because I won't be making this decision. I just hope that you know full well what you're getting into and think about the impact to your future if you choose to go there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:06 pm 

JoeMo wrote:
DON'T GO HERE.

Banned. These threads are meant for discussion of the school amongst applicants, not for pro and con debates by noninvolved parties. If you want to convince people not to go, you are free to start a thread elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 pm 

JoeMo wrote:
Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
jnelsi wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
DON'T GO HERE.

No, I'm really not being a jerk. I mean, I guess it depends on the specific situation but unless you have a full ride I wouldn't go.

NEL is not very well regarded in the Boston area. I doubt it has a presence outside of the Boston area at all.

I know a few people that went there and now deeply regret it. I know it's attractive because of their evening program but a degree from there isn't worth very much these days. I know one person that is stuck working as a clerk in a courthouse (not a prestigious clerk position with a judge but like the clerk you go see when you go to the courthouse) and making $32,000/yr. For someone with a law degree and tons of debt this is no way to live.

If you increase your LSAT by a couple of points you could probably get into Suffolk which isn't necessarily a much better school but its reputation in Boston is still solid.

If you're looking to practice outside of the Boston area neither school is going to offer that.

Thanks for the help, I will consider this, BUT once again my question to begin with if anyone can help, does anyone know of typically when the waitlist begins to be utilized? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 pm 

I don't know about the waitlist-- but if it's any help I applied for the night program on 3/3 and still haven't heard back.

I got accepted to the Suffolk night program 2 weeks ago and just sent in my deposit..but I wonder why NESL is dragging its heels so much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:44 pm 

PishPosh wrote:
I don't know about the waitlist-- but if it's any help I applied for the night program on 3/3 and still haven't heard back.

I got accepted to the Suffolk night program 2 weeks ago and just sent in my deposit..but I wonder why NESL is dragging its heels so much.

Yea I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the help.... Also would anyone know if you are waitlisted in day fulltime, are you also automatically considered for the other part time programs? Or Do you have to inform the that you would be willing to take part time if offered?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm 

Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
PishPosh wrote:

Yea I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the help.... Also would anyone know if you are waitlisted in day fulltime, are you also automatically considered for the other part time programs? Or Do you have to inform the that you would be willing to take part time if offered?

Im on the list as well and called the admissions office and they said if your on the wait-list they can let you know their final decision any time up until the day before orientation. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:17 pm 

lulu1222 wrote:
Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
PishPosh wrote:

Im on the list as well and called the admissions office and they said if your on the wait-list they can let you know their final decision any time up until the day before orientation. :shock:

Well that sucks.