New England Law | Boston 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dturnbull87
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:56 pm

New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby dturnbull87 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:14 am

+1 Evening

wfudeacons2005
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:08 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am

Also in part-time. But I won't be considering it unless they give me a sizable scholarship to make it more appealing than Suffolk, Maine, UNH etc.

jnelsi
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby jnelsi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:12 am

wfudeacons2005 wrote:Also in part-time. But I won't be considering it unless they give me a sizable scholarship to make it more appealing than Suffolk, Maine, UNH etc.


I am in Evening program as well!

ShowJumper560
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby ShowJumper560 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 am

154/3.27 accepted full-time back in November with a $20,000 scholarship (just found out about the scholarship today via phone call). Already withdrawn.

paolonangcas
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby paolonangcas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Accepted part time! Debating between here and William mitchelll. Woot.

jnelsi
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby jnelsi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

paolonangcas wrote:Accepted part time! Debating between here and William mitchelll. Woot.


Congrats! I'm in part time as well. Come to Boston!! :D

aclaw55
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby aclaw55 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 am

Accepted full-time. I want to practice in NY, so I am unsure as to if I'm going to attend. Can any current students tell me about the school and the area?

jnelsi
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby jnelsi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 pm

aclaw55 wrote:Accepted full-time. I want to practice in NY, so I am unsure as to if I'm going to attend. Can any current students tell me about the school and the area?


I am an incoming student from New York and I did notice that had several classes in NY Practice and that NESL students mostly sit for the MA and NY bars so you should get some decent exposure to NY Law (but of course not as much as if you went to school in NYS).

aclaw55
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby aclaw55 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am

jnelsi wrote:
aclaw55 wrote:Accepted full-time. I want to practice in NY, so I am unsure as to if I'm going to attend. Can any current students tell me about the school and the area?


I am an incoming student from New York and I did notice that had several classes in NY Practice and that NESL students mostly sit for the MA and NY bars so you should get some decent exposure to NY Law (but of course not as much as if you went to school in NYS).


Glad to here that they offer several classes in NY Practice, although I think if my goal was to practice in NY the networking opportunities would be better if I attended a New York school. I missed the admitted students day, but I am thinking about making a visit in the next two weeks before I ultimately make a final decision.

jnelsi
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby jnelsi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:01 am

aclaw55 wrote:
jnelsi wrote:
aclaw55 wrote:Accepted full-time. I want to practice in NY, so I am unsure as to if I'm going to attend. Can any current students tell me about the school and the area?


I am an incoming student from New York and I did notice that had several classes in NY Practice and that NESL students mostly sit for the MA and NY bars so you should get some decent exposure to NY Law (but of course not as much as if you went to school in NYS).


Glad to here that they offer several classes in NY Practice, although I think if my goal was to practice in NY the networking opportunities would be better if I attended a New York school. I missed the admitted students day, but I am thinking about making a visit in the next two weeks before I ultimately make a final decision.

It's worth the visit. I found them very helpful and informative.

ashleyryan
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby ashleyryan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 pm

i was just waitlisted!

User avatar
cpinker3
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby cpinker3 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:50 pm

ashleyryan wrote:i was just waitlisted!

I just withdrew so Good Luck to you! :)

ashleyryan
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby ashleyryan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

cpinker3 wrote:
ashleyryan wrote:i was just waitlisted!

I just withdrew so Good Luck to you! :)


aw thanks!!!

Lawschoolsdreams
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby Lawschoolsdreams » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Also wait listed, does anyone know of typically when the waitlist begins to be utilized?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby JoeMo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:00 pm

DON'T GO HERE.

jnelsi
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby jnelsi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 pm

JoeMo wrote:DON'T GO HERE.

Jerk :evil:

Lawschoolsdreams
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby Lawschoolsdreams » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:08 pm

jnelsi wrote:
JoeMo wrote:DON'T GO HERE.

Jerk :evil:



.....noted. But some information to my question would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby JoeMo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
jnelsi wrote:
JoeMo wrote:DON'T GO HERE.

Jerk :evil:



.....noted. But some information to my question would be greatly appreciated.Thanks


No, I'm really not being a jerk. I mean, I guess it depends on the specific situation but unless you have a full ride I wouldn't go.

NEL is not very well regarded in the Boston area. I doubt it has a presence outside of the Boston area at all.

I know a few people that went there and now deeply regret it. I know it's attractive because of their evening program but a degree from there isn't worth very much these days. I know one person that is stuck working as a clerk in a courthouse (not a prestigious clerk position with a judge but like the clerk you go see when you go to the courthouse) and making $32,000/yr. For someone with a law degree and tons of debt this is no way to live.

If you increase your LSAT by a couple of points you could probably get into Suffolk which isn't necessarily a much better school but its reputation in Boston is still solid.

If you're looking to practice outside of the Boston area neither school is going to offer that.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby JoeMo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Sorry for the double post:

Don't go too far just look at their profile on TLS: http://www.top-law-schools.com/new-engl ... oston.html

84% employed 9 months out. That means 16% are completely unemployed. Out of that 84% do you know how many are temping or working part-time or in non-JD required jobs? It's probably a greater percentage than you'd think.

And the median salary in the private sector is $67,500 meaning that half of the people make less than that. How much are you paying to make that little? Seriously, think about it before you enroll.

Full disclosure: I was considering going there or to Suffolk because I wanted to continue to work and go to LS part-time. I'm glad a friend of mine sat me down and had this conversation with me because I won't be making this decision. I just hope that you know full well what you're getting into and think about the impact to your future if you choose to go there.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 15957
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby dailygrind » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:06 pm

JoeMo wrote:DON'T GO HERE.


Banned. These threads are meant for discussion of the school amongst applicants, not for pro and con debates by noninvolved parties. If you want to convince people not to go, you are free to start a thread elsewhere.

Lawschoolsdreams
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby Lawschoolsdreams » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
jnelsi wrote:
JoeMo wrote:DON'T GO HERE.

Jerk :evil:



.....noted. But some information to my question would be greatly appreciated.Thanks


No, I'm really not being a jerk. I mean, I guess it depends on the specific situation but unless you have a full ride I wouldn't go.

NEL is not very well regarded in the Boston area. I doubt it has a presence outside of the Boston area at all.

I know a few people that went there and now deeply regret it. I know it's attractive because of their evening program but a degree from there isn't worth very much these days. I know one person that is stuck working as a clerk in a courthouse (not a prestigious clerk position with a judge but like the clerk you go see when you go to the courthouse) and making $32,000/yr. For someone with a law degree and tons of debt this is no way to live.

If you increase your LSAT by a couple of points you could probably get into Suffolk which isn't necessarily a much better school but its reputation in Boston is still solid.

If you're looking to practice outside of the Boston area neither school is going to offer that.



Thanks for the help, I will consider this, BUT once again my question to begin with if anyone can help, does anyone know of typically when the waitlist begins to be utilized? Thanks.

User avatar
PishPosh
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:59 am

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby PishPosh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't know about the waitlist-- but if it's any help I applied for the night program on 3/3 and still haven't heard back.

I got accepted to the Suffolk night program 2 weeks ago and just sent in my deposit..but I wonder why NESL is dragging its heels so much.

Lawschoolsdreams
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby Lawschoolsdreams » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:44 pm

PishPosh wrote:I don't know about the waitlist-- but if it's any help I applied for the night program on 3/3 and still haven't heard back.

I got accepted to the Suffolk night program 2 weeks ago and just sent in my deposit..but I wonder why NESL is dragging its heels so much.



Yea I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the help.... Also would anyone know if you are waitlisted in day fulltime, are you also automatically considered for the other part time programs? Or Do you have to inform the that you would be willing to take part time if offered?

lulu1222
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby lulu1222 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
PishPosh wrote:I don't know about the waitlist-- but if it's any help I applied for the night program on 3/3 and still haven't heard back.

I got accepted to the Suffolk night program 2 weeks ago and just sent in my deposit..but I wonder why NESL is dragging its heels so much.



Yea I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the help.... Also would anyone know if you are waitlisted in day fulltime, are you also automatically considered for the other part time programs? Or Do you have to inform the that you would be willing to take part time if offered?



Im on the list as well and called the admissions office and they said if your on the wait-list they can let you know their final decision any time up until the day before orientation. :shock:

Lawschoolsdreams
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: New England Law | Boston 2015

Postby Lawschoolsdreams » Tue May 01, 2012 7:17 pm

lulu1222 wrote:
Lawschoolsdreams wrote:
PishPosh wrote:I don't know about the waitlist-- but if it's any help I applied for the night program on 3/3 and still haven't heard back.

I got accepted to the Suffolk night program 2 weeks ago and just sent in my deposit..but I wonder why NESL is dragging its heels so much.



Yea I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the help.... Also would anyone know if you are waitlisted in day fulltime, are you also automatically considered for the other part time programs? Or Do you have to inform the that you would be willing to take part time if offered?



Im on the list as well and called the admissions office and they said if your on the wait-list they can let you know their final decision any time up until the day before orientation. :shock:



Well that sucks.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests