Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:11 pm

neeko wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:
neeko wrote:I'm going to go visit both. Does anyone know if they will negotiate away the stips? I'm excited!


Not sure, but I doubt you'd get a lot of wiggle room. Both schools charge a very low tuition rate (for in-state students) and allow pretty much anyone to get in-state status going into their first year. Because of this, they probably don't feel the need to be overly generous when it comes to scholarship stips.

Best of luck though, hope I'm wrong! Lol


I can see that being a reason to not give large scholarships, but it's pretty irrelevant to the stipulations. And Camden does not allow you to get in state your first year, only Newark. Camden is years 2 and 3.


At the end of the day we're just talking about dollars, and a practice of loosening stips allows students to keep the dollars that would otherwise go to the school. So, like I said, they probably don't feel like they're in a position where they need to be more generous with their money.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neeko » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:31 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
neeko wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:
neeko wrote:I'm going to go visit both. Does anyone know if they will negotiate away the stips? I'm excited!


Not sure, but I doubt you'd get a lot of wiggle room. Both schools charge a very low tuition rate (for in-state students) and allow pretty much anyone to get in-state status going into their first year. Because of this, they probably don't feel the need to be overly generous when it comes to scholarship stips.

Best of luck though, hope I'm wrong! Lol


I can see that being a reason to not give large scholarships, but it's pretty irrelevant to the stipulations. And Camden does not allow you to get in state your first year, only Newark. Camden is years 2 and 3.


At the end of the day we're just talking about dollars, and a practice of loosening stips allows students to keep the dollars that would otherwise go to the school. So, like I said, they probably don't feel like they're in a position where they need to be more generous with their money.


Loosening stips cost other schools that allow it money as well, it's not any different here.

I'm going to wait a few weeks and see if Camden will get closer to my Newark offer. I'll update here in case someone else is in a similar situation. I prefer Camden over Newark, but there's a huge difference in price for me right now.

Good luck to those still waiting!

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Does Camden's shitty website irk others as well? I've been trying to get Fall 2011 entering class statistics for like two weeks. My emails have either gone unanswered or I have been quoted a passage out of their fact sheet that dates back to 2009. Newark provides all of this information upfront, but I feel like I'm pulling teeth with Camden. Has anyone had better luck?

Oh, and I don't think USNWR is up to date on the Fall 2011 entering class. Someone quoted Temple with an LSAT median one point higher than the most recent entering class. The median GPA was also higher than it is now.

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby grovevilleroad » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:58 am

mrtoren wrote:Oh, and I don't think USNWR is up to date on the Fall 2011 entering class. Someone quoted Temple with an LSAT median one point higher than the most recent entering class. The median GPA was also higher than it is now.


USNWR will not have the entering class stats for Fall 2011 because their report was published before the 2011 class was finalized. The report coming out this spring will be based on the entering Fall 2011 class.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Just received my acceptance email! Plan to fly out in early January to see the campus..and the area..first hand. Its definitely one of my top three choices though.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:26 pm

EDIT - Double post.
Last edited by mrtoren on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zuckaz48
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zuckaz48 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 pm

In today via email as well. I was just wondering if you guys heard about scholarship information via email or regular mail?

It says on the status checker that my acceptance letter has been mailed and a "dean's letter" has been mailed as well.

The is my first post and I'm just lookin for some help. thanks

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 20130312 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:29 pm

zuckaz48 wrote:In today via email as well. I was just wondering if you guys heard about scholarship information via email or regular mail?

It says on the status checker that my acceptance letter has been mailed and a "dean's letter" has been mailed as well.

The is my first post and I'm just lookin for some help. thanks


My status checker says the same thing. I received scholarship info in an email from Dean Andrews.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Congrats everybody! I'm hoping to go visit soon as well.

Also, my scholarship was in my acceptance email.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Admitted today as well....good turn around with some of these east coast schools.

User avatar
zuckaz48
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zuckaz48 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:27 pm

thanks everyone. are you guys going to attend that law day in march? or any other events before that?

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 pm

zuckaz48 wrote:thanks everyone. are you guys going to attend that law day in march? or any other events before that?


I will be.

User avatar
zuckaz48
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zuckaz48 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:09 pm

me too. anyone know how good the raging is at this school for the very little amount of free time there will be

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:17 pm

zuckaz48 wrote:me too. anyone know how good the raging is at this school for the very little amount of free time there will be

Considering the total enrollment for the university is just over 6,000 and the fact that it is in Camden, NJ...little to no 'raging.' An unusually large portion of students at the law school are also part-time. Like close to, if not over, half in past years. From what I hear, the school doesn't have much of a traditional campus feel to it.

Not too big of a deal considering how little free time there will be. Just plan on making a small group of friends and heading into Philly for drinks on the weekend.

User avatar
zuckaz48
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zuckaz48 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:11 pm

very true. it's gonna be a weird transition from undergrad free time to law school free time.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Does anyone know how 1L in-state tuition works at both Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark? From the little I've seen or heard, it sounds like Camden is stricter about it. The admissions director at Newark basically stated that a 12-month lease, signed before school starts, will suffice for in-state tuition at that school. However, it sounds like Camden wants a lease, a NJ license, and possibly some paperwork regarding taxes and whatnot. Some say its possible to get 1L in-state at RU-C, others claim that you can only get it from 2L on.

What's the reality of it?

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neeko » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:46 pm

mrtoren wrote:Does anyone know how 1L in-state tuition works at both Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark? From the little I've seen or heard, it sounds like Camden is stricter about it. The admissions director at Newark basically stated that a 12-month lease, signed before school starts, will suffice for in-state tuition at that school. However, it sounds like Camden wants a lease, a NJ license, and possibly some paperwork regarding taxes and whatnot. Some say its possible to get 1L in-state at RU-C, others claim that you can only get it from 2L on.

What's the reality of it?


In the admissions email, RU-C said you can get it for 2l and 3l but people have said that if you move there before classes start you can get it. I'm not sure which is true. Newark is definetly 1L though, I spoke to the dean about it.

I'm interested to know as well if there is anyone that was successful with 1L instate at Camden.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Just received an email back from Camden.

Out-of-stater's need to provide a 12 month lease and a NJ driver's license before they begin billing in July. If both of those requirements are met, they offer in-state tuition. Same goes for Newark.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neeko » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:14 pm

mrtoren wrote:Just received an email back from Camden.

Out-of-stater's need to provide a 12 month lease and a NJ driver's license before they begin billing in July. If both of those requirements are met, they offer in-state tuition. Same goes for Newark.


Thank you!

twb136
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby twb136 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:29 am

I go to RU-Camden. You have any questions, I can probably tell you what really goes on. The in-state tuition thing is true and fairly painless. If you do it earlier, say May, and you elect Jump Start then you will most likely get in-state for the summer course. We are a close community, you will get to know the deans and professors pretty well almost immediately.

The part-time program is definitely not close to fifty percent. I'd estimate it is less than ten percent of the class size. There is however a hybrid set up that makes day and night students interact a lot. You could very well be full time and have a night class.

If and when you visit, try and contact someone (even me, if need be) so you can actually get a feel for what it is like. Admitted Students Day in the spring is actually really well done and this year we hope to do more to show you what the actual experience is like.

Any questions, just ask.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm

twb136 wrote:I go to RU-Camden. You have any questions, I can probably tell you what really goes on. The in-state tuition thing is true and fairly painless. If you do it earlier, say May, and you elect Jump Start then you will most likely get in-state for the summer course. We are a close community, you will get to know the deans and professors pretty well almost immediately.

The part-time program is definitely not close to fifty percent. I'd estimate it is less than ten percent of the class size. There is however a hybrid set up that makes day and night students interact a lot. You could very well be full time and have a night class.

If and when you visit, try and contact someone (even me, if need be) so you can actually get a feel for what it is like. Admitted Students Day in the spring is actually really well done and this year we hope to do more to show you what the actual experience is like.

Any questions, just ask.

My questions:

1) Give us a feel for the area. How safe is it? Are there any local grocery stores, bars, or other entertainment venues?

2) Where do you recommend living first year? If going off-campus, what areas do you recommend?

3) How is the job situation looking?

4) How do graduates fare after finishing their clerkships? Do they land respectable firm jobs?

5) What is one thing you would have liked to know before attending?

twb136
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby twb136 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 pm

[quote="mrtoren"][quote="twb136"]I go to RU-Camden. You have any questions, I can probably tell you what really goes on. The in-state tuition thing is true and fairly painless. If you do it earlier, say May, and you elect Jump Start then you will most likely get in-state for the summer course. We are a close community, you will get to know the deans and professors pretty well almost immediately.

The part-time program is definitely not close to fifty percent. I'd estimate it is less than ten percent of the class size. There is however a hybrid set up that makes day and night students interact a lot. You could very well be full time and have a night class.

If and when you visit, try and contact someone (even me, if need be) so you can actually get a feel for what it is like. Admitted Students Day in the spring is actually really well done and this year we hope to do more to show you what the actual experience is like.

Any questions, just ask.

My questions:

1) Give us a feel for the area. How safe is it? Are there any local grocery stores, bars, or other entertainment venues?

Safe? Yes. Look up the crime stats if you want to know more. The area has a lot of police forces because of the bridge, the fed court house and Rutgers. The immediate area is most likely safer than all other surrounding law schools (except Nova). You will run into a homeless person once and a while and the farther you venture from school in Camden, the sketchier it becomes. Grocery stores are non existent, liquor stores are everywhere. Majority of people who live around campus are at the Victor Lofts or on campus. They drive to super markets that are about 10 mins away. There is one local bar, Victor Pub. It is where everyone goes if in Camden but outside of that there are a ton of bars along the PATCO line in Center City or in Westmont/Haddonfield. Entertainment there is an outdoor concert venue on the waterfront that gets pretty much all major acts and you get a ridiculous discount for being a Rutgers student. Like the grocery stores, if you want to go to the movies it is a 10 minute drive.

2) Where do you recommend living first year? If going off-campus, what areas do you recommend?

First-year, if you have the money and want to live with a lot of other law people then get an apartment at the Victor. It is expensive though. One bedroom runs around $1100-1400/month. If you want peace and quiet and a suburban feel, head to Collingswood. Prices vary but it is extremely cheap. It comes down to how much and what type of living experience you want. Collingswood is a 15 minute commute by train and the Victor is a 10 minute walk. On campus, there are new dorms being erected for grads, I know nothing other than they will sometime soon be available. A car isn't "essential" but rule of thumb is if you want to go anywhere in NJ, you will need a car. You can take PATCO to Philly all the time but it is nice to have your car.

3) How is the job situation looking?

Job situation in general is dismal for all law schools. Do not let anyone tell you different. It looks to be picking up a little bit but it is tough to see right now. If you keep your head in your books and take the time to network then you will do fine finding a job. Depending on what law you think you are interested in should direct where you want to go for an education and work opportunities. You want to learn how to write well or do some form of public service or advocacy? Come here. You want to learn how to be a trial attorney? Consider Temple.

4) How do graduates fare after finishing their clerkships? Do they land respectable firm jobs?

This ties in with the job market but Rutgers-Camden does have the second highest placement rate for clerkships in the country with Yale first. We have a federal court house literally across the street from the campus. If you plan on practicing in Philadelphia or South Jersey then you cannot go wrong coming to Rutgers. With most law schools, everyone takes care of their own and there are plenty of judges in the area and a lot of partners at major firms in Philadelphia who are from Rutgers-Camden.

5) What is one thing you would have liked to know before attending?

Looking back and trying to think about it, I really do not know. I am not trying to play the part of some overly optimistic student but it took me about two years total from commitment to attend law school to actually choosing a school. So I did a lot of homework prior. I would urge anyone to make sure you want to come to law school and second make absolute sure that you want to go to a specific law school. Just visit the schools you are thinking about. If the school is in CA or TX, spend the extra $1000 to travel for a few days and make sure you will like it. First year is bad enough, you do not need extra grief because you will be homesick or do not like the area. When I visited the schools I liked, Rutgers was actually last on my list before I visited. Then I came, felt extremely comfortable and decided to give it a chance. Choosing the right school isn't something to take lightly. Rutgers is one of the cheapest schools in the nation, but if you do not want to be here then you should not come just to save $15K.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:16 pm

As all of you start making your decisions, conversation can be moved to the Class of 2015 thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=175635

don_geis
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby don_geis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Has the decision to possible abandon Rutgers-Camden, and have the law school merge with Rowan University under Rowan's name, had any affect on your decisions? Just curious.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrtoren » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:29 pm

don_geis wrote:Has the decision to possible abandon Rutgers-Camden, and have the law school merge with Rowan University under Rowan's name, had any affect on your decisions? Just curious.

I've been in touch with admissions recently and they've been extremely helpful. Obviously, they have to control the fall-out from this whole fiasco, but a lot of what they're saying sounds truthful. First and foremost, no decisions have been made yet. A plan from UMDNJ was released suggesting the restructuring and the Governor endorsed it. However, Rutgers-Camden, including its faculty, students, and alumni, is still fighting it and they're earning a lot of press time for it. Even Rowan students are upset about the merger because they have a different vision of what they want their school to be as well. Meanwhile, a petition is circulating with over 5200 signatures last I knew. The law school held a forum on Monday and the university as a whole will hold public forums tomorrow and on Monday. The Governor hasn't commented on the situation since the outcry and protests began.

Should the Governor and the Rutgers board proceed with the merger against the overwhelming opposition, this incoming class should retain the right to graduate with a Rutgers-branded diploma...even if the law school is somehow miraculously integrated into Rowan by that point. However, the dean I spoke with believes that the law school will retain the Rutgers name regardless of the merger. The situation needs to develop over the coming weeks before anyone makes an official decision. However, I'm very optimistic that the university will be saved or that it will enter into a consortium with Rowan and still retain its namesake.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”