Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
loblaw016

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 pm

withdrew today, good luck to the rest of you

oleosmirf

Postby oleosmirf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 pm

The merger is actually a good thing for the state education system as a whole. They want Rutgers to become one of the more prestigious state schools in the country and that is not possible when it is the only public research university in the state. There needs to be a good school that people outside of NJ/NY/PA have heard of so that the students who don't get into Rutgers have a legitimate option. The better Rutgers becomes, the more out of state students apply and that means more money, which is something Rutgers (and the state) desperately need.

They want to turn Rowan into that second level school with division 1 sports teams and a larger student body, that can help attract businesses to South Jersey and have ties to Philly. A good comparison is they want the new Rowan to be the NJ version of Temple (undergrad). Personally, I think changing the name to the University of New Jersey or something of the sort would help establish itself better than simply Rowan, but that;s just me.

From our standpoint it is also ridiculous to have 2 law schools under the Rutgers banner if you think about it. Take the top applicants from both schools and consolidate it into one campus. That way instead of two almost identical schools in the 80-90 range, you can have 1 school in the 50-60 range, that will be the unquestioned top law school in the state with Rowan serving as the decent alternative for those who don't qualify.

That's why Christie is pushing so hard for this. Not to mention running a presidential campaign based on education reform is a great platform (for those who don't know Christie is considered to be one of the favorites for the republican nomination after Obama's 2nd term ends...)

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:03 pm

You make a great point, Oleosmirf. As a current student at RU-C, the merger just makes too much sense from the state's standpoint. Not a lot of legitimate major state schools have multiple legitimate campuses with separate admissions criteria littered across the state and if they do, then it's because the name encompasses the entire state-school system; like SUNY or UC. If you make Rutgers more centralized and a draw for out of staters, then it's a better deal for the state. It just sucks for those stuck in the RU-C law school crossfire.

Yesenia117

Postby Yesenia117 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:25 pm

mrtoren wrote:
oleosmirf wrote:Here is an email, I received from the school today. Let me preface this by saying that I have not received anything from the school and my status still says "in review" so this is the first letter I received from them.

"Thank you for applying to Rutgers Law School-Camden.

The Law School Admissions Committee has reserved 50 seats for some of our admitted class to start in the summer. These individuals will bring some unique passion or perspective to the law school other than simply high academics and high LSAT. Half of each incoming class avails themselves of this unique opportunity to take one of their Fall classes early to get a head start on their academic adjustment. All individuals admitted to this Program will begin their studies at the Law School this summer taking Contracts as part of the Jump Start Program. (This is NOT a conditional class/program). We would like to offer this opportunity to you.

As part of this program you do not need to have the 161 LSAT/3.5 GPA that we normally look for. Rather, to fulfill our mission of fostering a world-class educational environment that stimulates a variety of thoughts, ideas and interests, we are seeking students from all over the nation—diverse ethnic groups, diverse home states, diverse schools, individuals who have excelled in sports, debate, theater, or charitable ventures.

If you would like to be admitted to this program, please email Nancy Rubert at rubert@camlaw.rutgers.edu with –“Jumpstart Summer Class” in the subject line. (PLEASE SEE SUMMER CLASS INFO BELOW)

Our goal is to fill these seats by April 15th. All admitted students are also invited to our Dean’s Law Day for Admitted Students on Saturday, March 31, 2012. (Information will be sent with your admit packet).

As a 1986 graduate of the Law School and a former partner at a major Philadelphia firm, if you have any questions concerning the law school, housing or your legal career, please feel free to contact me at 800/466-7561 or by e-mail at admissions@camlaw.rutgers.edu. I look forward to seeing you among the class that enters Rutgers School of Law in the Summer of 2012.
Sincerely,
Camille Andrews
Assoc. Dean of Enrollment"

so am I accepted or not? I mean half the email makes it seem like I'm admitted and the other half makes it seem like the jumpstart program is the only way I'll get in. Whomever wrote this email is an idiot because it makes no sense no matter what angle you look at it...

Why are you wasting your time on here? We know even less about your situation than you do. Email or call admissions.

I received the same thing. I emailed & called admissions and received an answer that I would HAVE to do the Jump Start Program to be admitted to the school. So in a sense it IS conditional--but it's not like I have to get a 4.0 in order to stay in. I just figured i'd add my 2 cents. If i wanted to turn down jump start, then they would keep reviewing my credentials.. idk if this helps or is too late.

Fletcher Reed

d

Postby Fletcher Reed » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:59 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashen

Postby ashen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:Can anyone verify the 1st deposit deadline? One person said the 1st of April, did anyone else receive this date?

Mine is April 15 in the amount of $300.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 pm

ashen wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:Can anyone verify the 1st deposit deadline? One person said the 1st of April, did anyone else receive this date?

Mine is April 15 in the amount of $300.

April 15th it is.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 am

oleosmirf wrote:The merger is actually a good thing for the state education system as a whole. They want Rutgers to become one of the more prestigious state schools in the country and that is not possible when it is the only public research university in the state. There needs to be a good school that people outside of NJ/NY/PA have heard of so that the students who don't get into Rutgers have a legitimate option. The better Rutgers becomes, the more out of state students apply and that means more money, which is something Rutgers (and the state) desperately need.

They want to turn Rowan into that second level school with division 1 sports teams and a larger student body, that can help attract businesses to South Jersey and have ties to Philly. A good comparison is they want the new Rowan to be the NJ version of Temple (undergrad). Personally, I think changing the name to the University of New Jersey or something of the sort would help establish itself better than simply Rowan, but that;s just me.

From our standpoint it is also ridiculous to have 2 law schools under the Rutgers banner if you think about it. Take the top applicants from both schools and consolidate it into one campus. That way instead of two almost identical schools in the 80-90 range, you can have 1 school in the 50-60 range, that will be the unquestioned top law school in the state with Rowan serving as the decent alternative for those who don't qualify.

That's why Christie is pushing so hard for this. Not to mention running a presidential campaign based on education reform is a great platform (for those who don't know Christie is considered to be one of the favorites for the republican nomination after Obama's 2nd term ends...)

This is not terribly bad for the students who are part of the Rutgers system now, and those who will be for the next year. however, South Jersey will no longer have a Rutgers branch for the future students of the state. Having Rutgers in S, Jersey allows lots of people who can not drive up to Newark an option to attend the state university.

It is pretty commonly discussed here that if Rutgers - C closes, students under the Rutgers System will not be supporting Rowen. It will be a different school with different type of students. The students here are very proud of the Rutgers name and will only ID that way. Our alum dollars will go to our school in Newark as that will be our new home!

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:55 am

Interesting read for those who are following the merger: http://blog.nj.com/njv_bob_braun/2012/0 ... hrist.html

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 pm

So as decision time comes closer, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that I'm likely going to have to choose between CUNY and RU-C, with the latter being the first choice should I get in.

According to LSN this cycle, I fall in a white zone though. 152/3.6. Any predictions? I've been complete since 2/14.

oleosmirf

Postby oleosmirf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:25 am

I was actually pretty impressed with the law school. This was the best student body I've seen so far and I spoke with a number of professors and students who had great things to say. The new dorms aren't quite done yet, but they seem pretty good. Its just a shame the school is in Camden. The law school itself seems very safe, but the whole area is just really sad and I'm not a South Jersey guy to begin with.

Its going to be a difficult decision for me as I still am in review for higher ranked schools and have been accepted to Miami (69) and Hofstra (84). Also, I'm interested in international transaction law, which I was discouraged to find out, Rutgers really doesn't have.

Camden is definitely the safe pick though as they the summer jump start program will make the first semester a little more manageable (thus better grades) and of course, the in state tuition. I still gotta figure out whether saving 15,000-20,000 a year is worth it for someone like myself with lofty and even possibly unrealistic exceptions...

oleosmirf

Postby oleosmirf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 am

2LT_CPG wrote:So as decision time comes closer, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that I'm likely going to have to choose between CUNY and RU-C, with the latter being the first choice should I get in.

According to LSN this cycle, I fall in a white zone though. 152/3.6. Any predictions? I've been complete since 2/14.

Unless you have special circumstances (minority, age, military, cancer survivor, etc.), I would figure that a 152 is too low for full time standards although maybe they give you a part time option? The merger threat will certainly help your chances, but my inclination would be towards a rejection. Good luck though!

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 am

Finally withdrew. Got sick of looking for their email address on their page so I just had to send it through the online form thing which was weird. Good luck next year everybody.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 pm

oleosmirf wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:So as decision time comes closer, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that I'm likely going to have to choose between CUNY and RU-C, with the latter being the first choice should I get in.

Unless you have special circumstances (minority, age, military, cancer survivor, etc.), I would figure that a 152 is too low for full time standards although maybe they give you a part time option? The merger threat will certainly help your chances, but my inclination would be towards a rejection. Good luck though!

Yep, I know. Military, included in my PS, so we'll see.

joeyc328

Postby joeyc328 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 am

Got on the W L today it seems like a pretty stressful situation.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:51 pm

I've been offered a choice between accepting a spot on the wait list this year or taking an offer of admission for the Class of 2016. I'm leaning toward the latter. Thoughts?

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:57 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I've been offered a choice between accepting a spot on the wait list this year or taking an offer of admission for the Class of 2016. I'm leaning toward the latter. Thoughts?

Take the acceptance for next year. That way it gives you a chance to [1] Wait it out and see how the merger crisis unfolds and [2] retake the LSAT.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Rutgers Camden was my first choice, and I'd go for free regardless of LSAT due to state benefits. So if I did take it, I'd just work for the year.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:47 pm

crossarmant wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:I've been offered a choice between accepting a spot on the wait list this year or taking an offer of admission for the Class of 2016. I'm leaning toward the latter. Thoughts?

Take the acceptance for next year. That way it gives you a chance to [1] Wait it out and see how the merger crisis unfolds and [2] retake the LSAT.

Yeah, I accepted the deferred admission, too good a deal to pass up. So I'll be going here (next year) if I don't get into CUNY this year.

AreJay490

Postby AreJay490 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Sent in my deposit a few weeks ago. I'm doing the jumpstart program that begins on June 16 (5:30-7:30 I believe?) and will be living on campus in the new apartments. Anyone else make the final decision yet?

Scottie2Hottie

Postby Scottie2Hottie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:05 am

Last edited by Scottie2Hottie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Tue May 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Going here.

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Thu May 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm

ford2city wrote:I'm hoping that if the merger with Rowan does not go through and with the addition of the brand 330 Cooper Street building as well as the brand new law facilities Camden's rankings and subsequently their employment statistics will rise but I do not want to gamble on that happening. Any advice on whether or not to attend would be much appreciated.

The building of a new graduate dorm has absolutely no correlation with the potential success in securing employment after graduation and the "new" facilities are almost 10 years old by now (Though the vast majority of your classes will take place in the old building which feels like a fallout shelter). None of this will have any bearing on how well the school will be ranked or snagging work.

ford2city wrote:My current plan is to transfer from Camden after a year either to Maryland or Newark. All this negative talk about Camden has me incredibly nervous and stressed out about my commitment.

Do not go to law school expecting to transfer, 90% of the class is not in the top 10%. Go here with the full expectation of graduating from Rutgers/Rowan. That said, free school with a stipend does not seem like a terrible deal (Though, most people will suggest you don't do work-study) even if it's a TTT and you want to work in NJ. But for the love of all that is sacred, do not go in with this mindset of "Alright, I'm just using you as a stepping stone for my transfer" because the curve is a frightening things.

Having just finished my 1L year at RU-C, this what I said in another thread about the merger:

"I think the main, and most troubling, part is that regardless of how a merger plays out, the damage has been done to the law school for the next several foreseeable years. I mean, they're trying to fill a 250 person class and yet only 10% of that have even deposited, and even they may change their mind before August. The numbers of the class have fallen a long way, students and faculty are fleeing, applications have taken a nose-dive, and employment statistics are getting worse and worse each year. RU-C already fell 15 spots this year even before the merger talk, so next year they are without a doubt going to be balls deep in the TTT range which is going to be very very difficult to claw out of. I just fear that despite all this rampant blind optimism, the worst may still happen regardless of whether it is called Rutgers or Rowan."

So, take this all with a grain of salt. RU-C is in for a rough patch for a good long while regardless of whether a merger happens or not. The school has almost no people enrolled for the fall and the numbers are collapsing even without the merger happening. Just know what you are getting yourself into and try to keep that scholarship.

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Thu May 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”