Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bobbyh1919

Silver

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:41 pm

allmodcons wrote:Just got the email as well. In w/ $10k a year and a pretty harsh stip of 3.5. Hello Newark?
Just based on the offers I got from both schools, I would imagine Newark grabs up most of us central Jersey kids.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:16 pm

allmodcons wrote:Just got the email as well. In w/ $10k a year and a pretty harsh stip of 3.5. Hello Newark?
My thoughts exactly.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

In. $15k/year.

highlander1

New

Post by highlander1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey,
if you guys are considering RU-C for the 2011-2012 cycle, you should join the CO2015 Facebook page that mrtoren created.
It'll be nice to get to know some of you before the academic year starts.
Also, if you plan on committing, it's will be a great place to look for roommate(s) for the year etc.

Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/402463466446689/

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 pm

neeko wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
It all comes down to where you want to live. Personally, I couldn't live or work near NYC; the area turned me off. Philadelphia had a smaller town feeling with the amenities of a big city and it felt right. Some may argue against this, but $20,000 can be viewed as a relatively small price to pay to enjoy the area you'll likely live and work in until retirement. Obviously, if you liked both, go with the cheaper option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 pm

mrtoren wrote:
neeko wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
It all comes down to where you want to live. Personally, I couldn't live or work near NYC; the area turned me off. Philadelphia had a smaller town feeling with the amenities of a big city and it felt right. Some may argue against this, but $20,000 can be viewed as a relatively small price to pay to enjoy the area you'll likely live and work in until retirement. Obviously, if you liked both, go with the cheaper option.
I would cost me $30,000 more plus 25% of breathing room over RU-N. Has anyone had any luck negotiating yet? I cannot get them to write me back still.

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 pm

mrtoren wrote:
neeko wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
Philadelphia gives you a small town feeling? The Philadelphia metro area has over like five-million people, just behind NYC, LA, and Chicago. I've lived and studied in both cities and in terms of city size, sure, NYC feels bigger and more condensed, but Philly has absolutely no small town feel. Philly is just more spread out, if that makes sense.

I agree with your sentiment 100% though. Go where you want to practice et al.

Anyway. I went complete on Valentine's Day and hope I get a decision soon. If I get into RU-C, I'm attending. So I hope I hear soon.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 am

2LT_CPG wrote:Philadelphia gives you a small town feeling? The Philadelphia metro area has over like five-million people, just behind NYC, LA, and Chicago. I've lived and studied in both cities and in terms of city size, sure, NYC feels bigger and more condensed, but Philly has absolutely no small town feel. Philly is just more spread out, if that makes sense.

Anyway. I went complete on Valentine's Day and hope I get a decision soon. If I get into RU-C, I'm attending. So I hope I hear soon.
I should mention that I'm using my hometown of Chicago, as well as New York City, as a measuring stick. Call me crazy, but compared to the other two, Philadelphia wasn't as condensed, it had less foot traffic, and the people were much friendlier. I didn't feel as anonymous. Its not a rural town experience, but you don't realize how big the city is based on the feel. I probably used a poor choice of words to describe it considering my idea of a 'small town feel' differs from many others.

highlander1

New

Post by highlander1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 pm

mrtoren wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:Philadelphia gives you a small town feeling? The Philadelphia metro area has over like five-million people, just behind NYC, LA, and Chicago. I've lived and studied in both cities and in terms of city size, sure, NYC feels bigger and more condensed, but Philly has absolutely no small town feel. Philly is just more spread out, if that makes sense.

I should mention that I'm using my hometown of Chicago, as well as New York City, as a measuring stick. Call me crazy, but compared to the other two, Philadelphia wasn't as condensed, it had less foot traffic, and the people were much friendlier. I didn't feel as anonymous. Its not a rural town experience, but you don't realize how big the city is based on the feel. I probably used a poor choice of words to describe it considering my idea of a 'small town feel' differs from many others.
+1. Chicago is pretty big. Not to mention that has probably got to be one of the beautiful cities I have visited.
It's like NYC but cleaner. Lol, wouldn't want to live there during the winter though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:29 pm

is the Rowan merger definitely happening?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... ostpopular

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:31 pm

loblaw016 wrote:is the Rowan merger definitely happening?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... ostpopular
In Chris Christie's mind? Or in reality?

If anything, this incident shows how much pressure and stress Christie is under for supporting the merger. He's a man who speaks bluntly and usually keeps his word, but I believe he's on the verge of losing control of this battle. If you do some further research you'll see that the opposition to this plan is roughly 2 to 1 among New Jerseyans. There are also serious questions about the financial stability of Rowan and UMDNJ, the rationale behind the merger, and the implications for tenure, jobs, and the future. Christie's original plan to enact the merger through an executive order has been deemed illegal by several prominent law professors and the legislature seems hesitant to take up the issue. Some have also asserted that the Rutgers board can reject any take over due to the nature of Rutgers' transition from private to public. Apparently the Camden campus was acquired before they became the state university of New Jersey so it is a privately held asset that the state cannot remove without approval.

The Governor, as well as prominent backers of the merger, has been mum about the logistics of the transition since it was announced. I believe they're scrambling in the backroom to save face. It will probably take months to release a detailed plan and any action will be tied up in the courts for years. In the end, I believe Camden will be saved. The people of South Jersey are and always have been passionate about Rutgers. They staved off a merger several years back and they'll stave it off this time as well. Rutgers blood flows through their veins and the DNA cannot be changed.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I got an email about the jump start program which was a little odd since I have not even been accepted yet. The way the email was written it seems like I was accepted but I heard nothing from the school and my status still says in review. I mean the salutation said, "I look forward to seeing you among the class that enters Rutgers School of Law in the Summer of 2012". That seems like I've been accepted no?

I know the program lets you take contracts during the summer and have one less class in the fall (I def would do this) but anyone have any additional information on this?

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Here is an email, I received from the school today. Let me preface this by saying that I have not received anything from the school and my status still says "in review" so this is the first letter I received from them.

"Thank you for applying to Rutgers Law School-Camden.

The law school admissions committee has reserved 50 seats for some of our admitted class to start in the summer. These individuals will bring some unique passion or perspective to the law school other than simply high academics and high LSAT. Half of each incoming class avails themselves of this unique opportunity to take one of their Fall classes early to get a head start on their academic adjustment. All individuals admitted to this Program will begin their studies at the Law School this summer taking Contracts as part of the Jump Start Program. (This is NOT a conditional class/program). We would like to offer this opportunity to you.

As part of this program you do not need to have the 161 LSAT/3.5 GPA that we normally look for. Rather, to fulfill our mission of fostering a world-class educational environment that stimulates a variety of thoughts, ideas and interests, we are seeking students from all over the nation—diverse ethnic groups, diverse home states, diverse schools, individuals who have excelled in sports, debate, theater, or charitable ventures.

If you would like to be admitted to this program, please email Nancy Rubert at rubert@camlaw.rutgers.edu with –“Jumpstart Summer Class” in the subject line. (PLEASE SEE SUMMER CLASS INFO BELOW)

Our goal is to fill these seats by April 15th. All admitted students are also invited to our Dean’s Law Day for Admitted Students on Saturday, March 31, 2012. (Information will be sent with your admit packet).

As a 1986 graduate of the Law School and a former partner at a major Philadelphia firm, if you have any questions concerning the law school, housing or your legal career, please feel free to contact me at 800/466-7561 or by e-mail at admissions@camlaw.rutgers.edu. I look forward to seeing you among the class that enters Rutgers School of Law in the Summer of 2012.
Sincerely,
Camille Andrews
Assoc. Dean of Enrollment"

so am I accepted or not? I mean half the email makes it seem like I'm admitted and the other half makes it seem like the jumpstart program is the only way I'll get in. Whomever wrote this email is an idiot because it makes no sense no matter what angle you look at it...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:23 pm

oleosmirf wrote:Here is an email, I received from the school today. Let me preface this by saying that I have not received anything from the school and my status still says "in review" so this is the first letter I received from them.

The Law School Admissions Committee has reserved 50 seats for some of our admitted class to start in the summer. These individuals will bring some unique passion or perspective to the law school other than simply high academics and high LSAT. Half of each incoming class avails themselves of this unique opportunity to take one of their Fall classes early to get a head start on their academic adjustment. All individuals admitted to this Program will begin their studies at the Law School this summer taking Contracts as part of the Jump Start Program. (This is NOT a conditional class/program). We would like to offer this opportunity to you.

As part of this program you do not need to have the 161 LSAT/3.5 GPA that we normally look for. Rather, to fulfill our mission of fostering a world-class educational environment that stimulates a variety of thoughts, ideas and interests, we are seeking students from all over the nation—diverse ethnic groups, diverse home states, diverse schools, individuals who have excelled in sports, debate, theater, or charitable ventures.

If you would like to be admitted to this program, please email Nancy Rubert at rubert@camlaw.rutgers.edu with –“Jumpstart Summer Class” in the subject line. (PLEASE SEE SUMMER CLASS INFO BELOW)

Our goal is to fill these seats by April 15th. All admitted students are also invited to our Dean’s Law Day for Admitted Students on Saturday, March 31, 2012. (Information will be sent with your admit packet).

As a 1986 graduate of the Law School and a former partner at a major Philadelphia firm, if you have any questions concerning the law school, housing or your legal career, please feel free to contact me at 800/466-7561 or by e-mail at admissions@camlaw.rutgers.edu. I look forward to seeing you among the class that enters Rutgers School of Law in the Summer of 2012.
Sincerely,
Camille Andrews

so am I accepted or not? I mean half the email makes it seem like I'm admitted and the other half makes it seem like the jumpstart program is the only way I'll get in. Whomever wrote this email is an idiot because it makes no sense no matter what angle you look at it...
Why are you wasting your time on here? We know even less about your situation than you do. Email or call admissions.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 pm

mrtoren

I was hoping someone on here got the same exact email and was (a) already admitted or (b) still waiting on their decision or (c) got through to someone who gave them information which could be useful for me. Isn't that the point of the forum and not to just gloat over what schools you got into?

Obviously, the first thing I did was call admissions but Rutgers administration is impossible. I dealt with them for 4 years as an undergrad. I called twice today and my call was answered by a work study student who couldn't help and the call was forwarded to his superior and was never returned. Sent an email too, hopefully they get back to me by this time tomorrow...

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:39 pm

R86 wrote:Sounds like --LinkRemoved--
That is what I thought originally, but its specifically says "(This is NOT a conditional class/program)". I mean I would do the jumpstart program anyway since i'm only about 75 min away and taking one less class in the first semester would make such a big difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 pm

oleosmirf wrote:Isn't that the point of the forum and not to just gloat over what schools you got into?
You clearly haven't been on TLS for very long.
oleosmirf wrote:
R86 wrote:Sounds like --LinkRemoved--
That is what I thought originally, but its specifically says "(This is NOT a conditional class/program)". I mean I would do the jumpstart program anyway since i'm only about 75 min away and taking one less class in the first semester would make such a big difference.
'Jump start' is not a conditional program; its merely an option for admitted students. You take one law class, four days a week over the summer months. I believe it lightens your fall semester so that you're not under as much pressure. It basically smooths the transition from undergrad to law.

So, in the spirit of your previous post, you either 1) have been accepted and the system is on the fritz, 2) are receiving emails that are not intended for you, or 3) are receiving poorly worded, ambiguous emails that are intended for you. I suggest a hearty glass of bourbon and an early bed time tonight. Get on the phone again tomorrow morning.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:39 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:07 am

Fletcher Reed wrote:How can this be? It's almost pushed out of the top 100. This does NOT reflect the high quality of the school whatsoever. I'm ignorant as to how the whole ranking process works, but can this dramatic drop be attributed to the controversy over the possible merger?

Note that in 2010 & 2011, RU-Camden was neck and neck with RU-Newark, but this year it has dropped seventeen places behind. WTF?
USNWR posted some janky ass rankings this year.

#99 Rutgers-Camden:
Employed at graduation: 66.7% (roughly 2% drop)
PP Salary: $60,000 (roughly $55,000 drop)
Public Salary: $43.437

#82 Rutgers-Newark:
Employed at graduation: 62.0% (roughly 16% drop)
PP Salary: $120,000 (roughly $15,000 drop)
Public Salary: $43,437

Obviously, Camden's PP salaries dropped substantially, but I'm waiting for Newark to land on the wrong median number one of these years too. Taking Philadelphia's much lower COL into account corrects most of the discrepancy. One of the most shocking figures is the drop in Newark's overall employment at graduation. Any yet it gained two ranks? Janky. Why these two schools are so far apart this year continues to bewilder me. Perhaps USNWR is already anticipating impact from the proposed merger?

I'm not happy about the ranking, but truthfully, nothing has changed. The same employers will still recruit at the school. Graduates will still have the same opportunities.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bmarc1117

New

Post by bmarc1117 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 am

oleosmirf wrote:Here is an email, I received from the school today. Let me preface this by saying that I have not received anything from the school and my status still says "in review" so this is the first letter I received from them.

The Law School Admissions Committee has reserved 50 seats for some of our admitted class to start in the summer. These individuals will bring some unique passion or perspective to the law school other than simply high academics and high LSAT. Half of each incoming class avails themselves of this unique opportunity to take one of their Fall classes early to get a head start on their academic adjustment. All individuals admitted to this Program will begin their studies at the Law School this summer taking Contracts as part of the Jump Start Program. (This is NOT a conditional class/program). We would like to offer this opportunity to you.

Sincerely,
Camille Andrews

I also got that email and called admissions. It is a new thing they are starting this year. Students who may not get accepted but have diverse backgrounds are accepted into this program. If you acccept the jumpstart offer you are admitted and will receive a admitted packet. If you cant attend summer classes like me you are put back into the poll and further reviewed for full time in the fall. THis is 100 percent correct I spoke to Nancy this afternoon. Hope this helps.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:51 am

Its really not puzzling at all. Camden used to be preferred over Newark but now with the merger, a lot of applicants are scared off and going to Newark. That doesn't explain the drop off in PP numbers though but if the private practice numbers have dropped that low then I will have to strongly consider attending some place else...

A 60,000 median starting salary is absolutely terrible...
mrtoren wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:How can this be? It's almost pushed out of the top 100. This does NOT reflect the high quality of the school whatsoever. I'm ignorant as to how the whole ranking process works, but can this dramatic drop be attributed to the controversy over the possible merger?

Note that in 2010 & 2011, RU-Camden was neck and neck with RU-Newark, but this year it has dropped seventeen places behind. WTF?
USNWR posted some janky ass rankings this year.

#99 Rutgers-Camden:
Employed at graduation: 66.7% (roughly 2% drop)
PP Salary: $60,000 (roughly $55,000 drop)
Public Salary: $43.437

#82 Rutgers-Newark:
Employed at graduation: 62.0% (roughly 16% drop)
PP Salary: $120,000 (roughly $15,000 drop)
Public Salary: $43,437

Obviously, Camden's PP salaries dropped substantially, but I'm waiting for Newark to land on the wrong median number one of these years too. Taking Philadelphia's much lower COL into account corrects most of the discrepancy. One of the most shocking figures is the drop in Newark's overall employment at graduation. Any yet it gained two ranks? Janky. Why these two schools are so far apart this year continues to bewilder me. Perhaps USNWR is already anticipating impact from the proposed merger?

I'm not happy about the ranking, but truthfully, nothing has changed. The same employers will still recruit at the school. Graduates will still have the same opportunities.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:55 am

Thank you very much, I take it wasn't a waste of time to post this after all! I also think its safe to say that if you decline the summer program, you are likely to be rejected, no? I mean, I would do the summer program even I were admitted regularly. One less class in the fall, especially since I've been out of school for basically a year now, is a huge advantage. Then again, I have the luxury of living in NJ and while the drive is almost an hour and a half, each way, its doable...

Unfortunately, the new employment numbers have put a damper on this as I was really considering Camden until this point. RU-Camden is now barely a top 100 school and in all likelihood will drop to tier 3 status in the next rankings. I knew the merger was going to make a difference, but this is very very scary. The thing we need to find out is why the starting salary dropped by such a large amount, but I don't see how that can be construed as anything other than a huge red flag...
bmarc1117 wrote: I also got that email and called admissions. It is a new thing they are starting this year. Students who may not get accepted but have diverse backgrounds are accepted into this program. If you acccept the jumpstart offer you are admitted and will receive a admitted packet. If you cant attend summer classes like me you are put back into the poll and further reviewed for full time in the fall. THis is 100 percent correct I spoke to Nancy this afternoon. Hope this helps.

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am

I believe the discrepancy between the salaries at Camden and Newark has ONLY to do with placement geography. North Jersey is closer to NYC, and while this absolutely does not mean that graduates will work in NYC firms, it does mean that when HUGE NYC companies move to North Jersey for tax breaks, it lends to higher corporate law reliance in Newark and more liberal hiring and salaries by North Jersey firms.

How do you think there have been so many jobs created in Jersey? The state granted twice as many corporate tax breaks in 2011 than in 2010.
Aeropostale, Inc, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Realology were all given enormous tax breaks to move from NYC to Bergen and Passaic in 2011.

This I believe is a growing trend. For a long time individuals that work in NYC have been moving to North Jersey to live and save money, now big business is following their lead. The economy of the regions differ enough to easily explain the drop in pp salaries in Camden.

As far as cost of living, yes it is more expensive in North Jersey, but not anywhere in the realm of 60k/year, which is the latest difference in average salary.(according to US News, which is sketchy at best.) Analysis of each schools self reported salary information shows a difference of 45k+, still not a factor as far as cost of living.

The sentiment in this forum(Camden specifically) is that this merger, if it happens, is irrelevant to employment, and that a Rutgers diploma is all that matters. I am still unaware as to how we can speculate that a name change and reallocation of funding would not affect the views of the institution by hiring firms. It may not affect it, but personally, any extra risk associated with such a large investment is a large factor in determining matriculation.

Difference in salary does not say anything as to the quality of education a graduate will receive. Camden just places graduates into a smaller and more distressed market.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”