Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Weez11
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Weez11 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 am

Can any current student (or anyone else in the know) estimate how many 1L's are in the MSP? Maybe also a fresh take on the program - I have read some stuff on here that is a couple of years old.

Thanks.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby get it to x » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 am

Very recent Rutgers grad in civ. litigation so I don't fit your current student requirement, but I'll give it a shot.

Weez11 wrote:Can any current student (or anyone else in the know) estimate how many 1L's are in the MSP? Maybe also a fresh take on the program - I have read some stuff on here that is a couple of years old.

Thanks.


I would say anywhere from 40-70. Lots of diversity in RU graduating classes. I didn't qualify so I obviously did not participate. From what I know, you are required to attend tutorials several days a week in your 1L subjects. These tutorials are led by a student facilitator who is loosely affiliated with your professor and gives you homework (mostly hypothetical questions that, I believe, you have to hand in). It's supposed to give you more familiarity with working on hypos. Students' primary gripe with the program is the number of classes you have to attend on top of your first year classes. Some people are there from 7:30 until 5 for class only. The upside is if you attend all or most of the sessions and assessing your Fall 1L grades, RU will place you in an externship for the summer. Some of these are with bigger NJ law firms and are actually paid. The Law Review write-on process also reserves a number of seats for MSP graduates. There's has been and probably always will be a lot of student debate over the perks of the MSP program and the school's reluctance to broadly share some of its benefits with the entire class.

MarchMadness wrote:The 2013 Law School Rankings officially came out, and RU-N did not fair favorably.


This is not a reflection of RU's quality of education, etc. The school has an alternative admissions process that is not in sync with the way the rankings are computed. In typical NJ fashion, the school faces funding problems with the state government and resources are split with Camden. Christie's proposed merger will probably help Newark short-term until Rowan gets up to speed. (Not saying this in a mean spirited manner at all, no law student would want to deal with the Camden situation) Finally, RU has an affinity for hiring young professors who are at the beginning of their careers. They're not primarily out looking to bring in someone who is well-known. Again, this may be driven by funding considerations. In the days of olde (read: early 1990's), RU was typically ranked in the 40's. The educational quality is still in that range, but the rankings just don't help the school's educational outlook and funding issues.

MarchMadness wrote:Here is a previous post written by a former RU-N student:

Rutgers is decent, but things to consider if you want to work in NYC is...NYC has a lot of law schools, some of which are ranked higher than Rutgers and have better reputations. Then there's the fact that seemingly everyone and their mama wants to work in NYC as a lawyer...including a lot of students from top 10 law schools, such as Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc. Outside of these schools (and even sometimes despite being from some of these schools), many NYC legal employers seem to have a horrible bias for NYC schools, even if they *are* ranked lower. If you are trying to work in NJ, don't you think the kids in NYC who can't get jobs there will go for NJ jobs? Well if you don't you better, because they do.


Partially, but not completely correct. RU is a New Jersey school. Even though it's located in the NYC metropolitan area, it's geared towards the NJ market and that's where you will find the most success. The New York schools have more cohesive alumni networks in place to help get their students externships, etc. That doesn't mean RU doesn't have a foothold in certain areas in NYC. It does. It's just a student trying to break into NYC for an externship etc. is going to have a rougher go than in NJ. As far as poaching NJ jobs from RU graduates, yes it happens. But the only schools really capable of doing this are NYU and Columbia. Fordham grads pop up occasionally, but they're usually on the same footing as SHU and RU if they got closed out of the NY market.

Bratty_60
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bratty_60 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Weez11 wrote:Can any current student (or anyone else in the know) estimate how many 1L's are in the MSP? Maybe also a fresh take on the program - I have read some stuff on here that is a couple of years old.

Thanks.


I don't have a answer to your question but I was accepted to the MSP Program. What about you?

User avatar
MellowMantis
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MellowMantis » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:16 pm

can any current students please suggest housing options for first year? It is tough to find nearby housing that is not too pricey or in too sketchy an area.

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen, but I will not be going to Rutgers Newark next year.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby king3780 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 pm

MellowMantis wrote:can any current students please suggest housing options for first year? It is tough to find nearby housing that is not too pricey or in too sketchy an area.


How close do you want to be "nearby?" I live about a half hour away, quiet area, totally safe. But some people think that's pretty far. I have a studio for $750/mo, heat and water included. Much closer and you really have to start weighing the cost and sketchiness; you can really pick one or the other for the most part.

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby superbloom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:26 am

king3780 wrote:
MellowMantis wrote:can any current students please suggest housing options for first year? It is tough to find nearby housing that is not too pricey or in too sketchy an area.


How close do you want to be "nearby?" I live about a half hour away, quiet area, totally safe. But some people think that's pretty far. I have a studio for $750/mo, heat and water included. Much closer and you really have to start weighing the cost and sketchiness; you can really pick one or the other for the most part.


Ideally for me a short bus/PATH/train ride. Do you know if students commute from Harrison? Where do you live?

wfudeacons2005
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:57 am

The parts of Jersey City that border on Hoboken are nice but also rising in cost. Maybe also look at Morristown and Summit. They are really very nice places with great downtowns, and NJ transit trains right into Newark, and I've heard of people getting pretty decent prices (albeit a good bit more than a place like Harrison).

Just a heads up, Harrison and most of the other places up around there are as bad, if not worse, than Newark. However, that is not to say that all of Newark is THAT bad. Sure, there are incredibly high crime in some parts of the city. But the place has a premier concert venue, premier pro sports venue, tons of office buildings, and several colleges/universities. It is ten times better than it was 12-15 years back and it's heading in the right direction. You can find safe and affordable housing right on RU-N's doorstep if the aforementioned places are too steep in price or too far away for your liking.

User avatar
MellowMantis
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MellowMantis » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am

Right low the best thing I have found is mt prospect towers. So many of the apartments within walking distance to the campus have no units available and long waiting lists. I think I would rather be right on top of the campus my first year and get a better feel for the area and what my days will be like. If I'm gonna be pulling long nights at the library I don't want To make a long trip home afterwards.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 pm

superbloom wrote:
king3780 wrote:
MellowMantis wrote:can any current students please suggest housing options for first year? It is tough to find nearby housing that is not too pricey or in too sketchy an area.


How close do you want to be "nearby?" I live about a half hour away, quiet area, totally safe. But some people think that's pretty far. I have a studio for $750/mo, heat and water included. Much closer and you really have to start weighing the cost and sketchiness; you can really pick one or the other for the most part.


Ideally for me a short bus/PATH/train ride. Do you know if students commute from Harrison? Where do you live?


I live in Clifton. Technically you could get to Newark by train, but it would be a hassle. I drive. I know a couple people that live in Harrison, but they drive. Most people seem to either pay a fortune to live in Hoboken, or a little less in Jersey City (but still a fair amount), or deal with Newark to save money, or live with their parents all over the place.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:51 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:The parts of Jersey City that border on Hoboken are nice but also rising in cost. Maybe also look at Morristown and Summit. They are really very nice places with great downtowns, and NJ transit trains right into Newark, and I've heard of people getting pretty decent prices (albeit a good bit more than a place like Harrison).

Just a heads up, Harrison and most of the other places up around there are as bad, if not worse, than Newark. However, that is not to say that all of Newark is THAT bad. Sure, there are incredibly high crime in some parts of the city. But the place has a premier concert venue, premier pro sports venue, tons of office buildings, and several colleges/universities. It is ten times better than it was 12-15 years back and it's heading in the right direction. You can find safe and affordable housing right on RU-N's doorstep if the aforementioned places are too steep in price or too far away for your liking.


I don't know anyone who lives in Summit. It supposedly has a bunch of houses with two or three apartments in them, but for the most part is an upper class community. It's fairly family oriented and not the type of place to have nightlife or a lot of young people, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. Morristown would be a friggin' haul to get to school every day. Any trains would make a bunch of stops. I just checked NJ transit and it says 46 mins just to Newark Broad Street station, plus travel time to the station in Morristown and from Broad Street down to the school. Driving would be just as bad most of the day and much much worse with traffic.

Cheap and relatively safe, I think your best bet is the Ironbound district in Newark. I think a fair number of students live there.

User avatar
ix88
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ix88 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 am

Is it not advisable to dorm on campus? I noticed many of you opted to live off-campus, but nearby.

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby superbloom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:21 am

While I didn't see the inside of the dorms, from the outside I got a very "undergrad" vibe. Also the price is fairly high compared to what you can get (with better amonities) in the area. I did tour University Centre, the student housing just off campus, and it too seems catered to undergrads. I haven't lived in a dorm in years and I dont want to go back to that.

Yazzinit
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Yazzinit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:08 pm

The undergrad vibe of on campus housing bothers me. Don't really feel like living with noisy, partying 18 year olds. However, I see University Centre is pretty close and cheaper. However, it says price is by semester. Is there any way to live at University Centre w/ a 12 month lease in order to get in state tuition? I'm out of state but RU-N pretty much gives in state for anyone producing a 12 month lease before 1L, to my understanding. Anyone with any info?

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby superbloom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

The semester rates are for shared rooms. They do 12 month leases as well, and yes it does qualify you for in state tuition. They aren't cheap though. $1000 a month not including electricity.

Yazzinit
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Yazzinit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:59 pm

superbloom wrote:The semester rates are for shared rooms. They do 12 month leases as well, and yes it does qualify you for in state tuition. They aren't cheap though. $1000 a month not including electricity.


Oh forget that then lol. That's a good 12k plus elec. I'd rather just live on campus for the 8-9kish or so. At least the floors are grad/law students lol.

wfudeacons2005
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:10 pm

king3780 wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:The parts of Jersey City that border on Hoboken are nice but also rising in cost. Maybe also look at Morristown and Summit. They are really very nice places with great downtowns, and NJ transit trains right into Newark, and I've heard of people getting pretty decent prices (albeit a good bit more than a place like Harrison).

Just a heads up, Harrison and most of the other places up around there are as bad, if not worse, than Newark. However, that is not to say that all of Newark is THAT bad. Sure, there are incredibly high crime in some parts of the city. But the place has a premier concert venue, premier pro sports venue, tons of office buildings, and several colleges/universities. It is ten times better than it was 12-15 years back and it's heading in the right direction. You can find safe and affordable housing right on RU-N's doorstep if the aforementioned places are too steep in price or too far away for your liking.


I don't know anyone who lives in Summit. It supposedly has a bunch of houses with two or three apartments in them, but for the most part is an upper class community. It's fairly family oriented and not the type of place to have nightlife or a lot of young people, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. Morristown would be a friggin' haul to get to school every day. Any trains would make a bunch of stops. I just checked NJ transit and it says 46 mins just to Newark Broad Street station, plus travel time to the station in Morristown and from Broad Street down to the school. Driving would be just as bad most of the day and much much worse with traffic.

Cheap and relatively safe, I think your best bet is the Ironbound district in Newark. I think a fair number of students live there.


Having made the drive a billion times, Morristown is no more than 25 minutes from Newark by car if you avoid rush hour and NJ transit can indeed take 35-45 minutes but I guess I don't think of time on a train as necessarily wasted because you are free to throw in headphones and catch up on reading and such. Tons of bars, restaurants, young people, and new apartments springing up all over the place too. Summit is certainly more upper class, older and quieter but the downtown still has plenty going on. I was just trying to offer some alternatives because if "sketchiness" is the main concern and Hoboken/Jersey City are ruled out and there is no housing available around the University Centre area, then I just don't think that the rest Newark or any of the surrounding cities (Harrison, Elizabeth, the Oranges) are good bets at this point. The Ironbound, unlike much of the rest of the city, has been going in the wrong direction with regards to crime...see here: (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... ush_n.html)

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby king3780 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
king3780 wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:The parts of Jersey City that border on Hoboken are nice but also rising in cost. Maybe also look at Morristown and Summit. They are really very nice places with great downtowns, and NJ transit trains right into Newark, and I've heard of people getting pretty decent prices (albeit a good bit more than a place like Harrison).

Just a heads up, Harrison and most of the other places up around there are as bad, if not worse, than Newark. However, that is not to say that all of Newark is THAT bad. Sure, there are incredibly high crime in some parts of the city. But the place has a premier concert venue, premier pro sports venue, tons of office buildings, and several colleges/universities. It is ten times better than it was 12-15 years back and it's heading in the right direction. You can find safe and affordable housing right on RU-N's doorstep if the aforementioned places are too steep in price or too far away for your liking.


I don't know anyone who lives in Summit. It supposedly has a bunch of houses with two or three apartments in them, but for the most part is an upper class community. It's fairly family oriented and not the type of place to have nightlife or a lot of young people, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. Morristown would be a friggin' haul to get to school every day. Any trains would make a bunch of stops. I just checked NJ transit and it says 46 mins just to Newark Broad Street station, plus travel time to the station in Morristown and from Broad Street down to the school. Driving would be just as bad most of the day and much much worse with traffic.

Cheap and relatively safe, I think your best bet is the Ironbound district in Newark. I think a fair number of students live there.


Having made the drive a billion times, Morristown is no more than 25 minutes from Newark by car if you avoid rush hour and NJ transit can indeed take 35-45 minutes but I guess I don't think of time on a train as necessarily wasted because you are free to throw in headphones and catch up on reading and such. Tons of bars, restaurants, young people, and new apartments springing up all over the place too. Summit is certainly more upper class, older and quieter but the downtown still has plenty going on. I was just trying to offer some alternatives because if "sketchiness" is the main concern and Hoboken/Jersey City are ruled out and there is no housing available around the University Centre area, then I just don't think that the rest Newark or any of the surrounding cities (Harrison, Elizabeth, the Oranges) are good bets at this point. The Ironbound, unlike much of the rest of the city, has been going in the wrong direction with regards to crime...see here: (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... ush_n.html)

One point of clarification, I'm sure you can make it to Newark from Morristown in 25 minutes, but can you get to the school that fast? For example, I live in Clifton and can generally make it to Newark in 15 minutes or so, but it takes me another 10-15 minutes to drive a half dozen blocks through Newark and park in a garage.

As for the train, I'm sure it's fine for music and whatever else for some people. For me personally, I find it difficult to count on being able to read or do something particularly productive with the time because it's a mixed bag as far as whether the people around you will cooperate with your desire to concentrate.

brauf
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby brauf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Anyone else riding the WL train? I just got the e-mail today. I'm a 3.55 with a 158. I know this subject has basically been resolved already, but I think it's important to note that there are around four other colleges within a five block radius of R-N, so consider all the different campus police departments at hand in the area. Newark as a whole is certainly not the greatest place, but it's on the rise, and at the very least the area around R-N seemed decently patrolled when I visited.

Also, there's an old school Irish pub literally right across the street from the law school. Dealbreaker.

Bratty_60
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bratty_60 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 am

IX88 created a FB group for Rutgers Newark Class of 2015 please join guys. I just did! http://www.facebook.com/groups/283055898439129/

AreJay490
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AreJay490 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Anyone who has been deferred receive a decision or at least some additional information? I've been deferred since January 30th and I have acceptances from Camden and Seton Hall but Newark is my first choice. I've written a LOCI as well as sent in multiple letters supplementing my application with additional information (new internship, honor societies etc.). I just don't want to waste my money on a deposit elsewhere.

wfudeacons2005
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:06 pm

AreJay490 wrote:Anyone who has been deferred receive a decision or at least some additional information? I've been deferred since January 30th and I have acceptances from Camden and Seton Hall but Newark is my first choice. I've written a LOCI as well as sent in multiple letters supplementing my application with additional information (new internship, honor societies etc.). I just don't want to waste my money on a deposit elsewhere.


I did! Got in about 2 weeks after being deferred.

User avatar
Sherlock1708
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Sherlock1708 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Accepted today via e-mail. Sorry to have missed the Open House. Did anyone go? Thoughts?

Bratty_60
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bratty_60 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:10 am

the open house sucked!

User avatar
MellowMantis
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MellowMantis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:34 am

Bratty_60 wrote:the open house sucked!


I agree, it left much to be desired. but my seat deposit is in so I'll see everyone there!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, hwwong, Kimmysradscreenname and 3 guests