Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neeko

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neeko » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Cornelius wrote:
superbloom wrote:
Cornelius wrote:Status checker changed to admitted. Nothing in my email yet.

Just checked mine too. Says the same thing! Applied 1/6, File went complete 1/18.

I wonder how long it will take to get the email. Couldn't find any indication in this thread.

I think mine took about an hour or so. Maybe a little bit longer.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:06 pm

I just got the email. 12K Merit Scholarship.

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Just got my email. $22k/year. I'm very pleasantly surprised to get what is essentially a full ride.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Cornelius wrote:Just got my email. $22k/year. I'm very pleasantly surprised to get what is essentially a full ride.

Congrats!

Has anyone here visited? I sent them an email a few weeks back and no one ever responded. I have a buddy who's a 1L and he invited me to drop by on Friday, but I kind of want to meet with admissions if I'm gonna drive up (I live in Philadelphia, so it's a small hike).

Admitted people, did you learn about your admission via the status checker or by email first?

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:03 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
Cornelius wrote:Just got my email. $22k/year. I'm very pleasantly surprised to get what is essentially a full ride.

Congrats!

Has anyone here visited? I sent them an email a few weeks back and no one ever responded. I have a buddy who's a 1L and he invited me to drop by on Friday, but I kind of want to meet with admissions if I'm gonna drive up (I live in Philadelphia, so it's a small hike).

Admitted people, did you learn about your admission via the status checker or by email first?

I saw the status checker first. I'll be visiting March 16

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:05 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:

Congrats!

Status checker beat the email by about an hour and a half.

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:09 pm

superbloom wrote:I just got the email. 12K Merit Scholarship.

Congrats!

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:13 pm

In + 10k. Status checker first then email. I wouldnt mind going to law school for roughly 13k per year...

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Looks like they've been busy today.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 pm

I applied PT 6 weeks ago, went complete a month ago and still nothing. This is a killer.

RU12345

Postby RU12345 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 pm

So I was deferred the other day from RU- Newark. I wrote up a LOCI and sent it in, and I'm having another professor send a LOR directly to the school so it gets in quicker.

What do you think my shots are? There isn't much on forums about people getting deferred and then later getting admitted..

152 LSAT - 3.98 GPA - Rutgers Undergrad - In State - Applied Part Time

dntburntheday

Postby dntburntheday » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm

RU12345 wrote:So I was deferred the other day from RU- Newark. I wrote up a LOCI and sent it in, and I'm having another professor send a LOR directly to the school so it gets in quicker.

What do you think my shots are? There isn't much on forums about people getting deferred and then later getting admitted..

Why did you apply part time? Because of your LSAT or because you have a job lined up?

RU12345

Postby RU12345 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 pm

dntburntheday wrote:
RU12345 wrote:So I was deferred the other day from RU- Newark. I wrote up a LOCI and sent it in, and I'm having another professor send a LOR directly to the school so it gets in quicker.

Why did you apply part time? Because of your LSAT or because you have a job lined up?

Part time because of my lsat, thought I would have a better chance getting in and then switching to full time shortly after.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Honestly (and I hate saying this because 90% of the time when someone says this on this board I want to smack them), retake. I think you stand a good chance at getting accepted (although my only qualifications for knowing is that I just put your numbers into lawschoolpredictor). But if you were to increase your score by just 5 points, it could either save you a boatload of money or it could get you into a much better school. I'd kill to have your GPA. I stood at a 3.4 with a 156 and decided that unless I got at least a 158 on my retake I wouldn't apply. I ended up getting a 163 and completely changed the list of schools to which I applied.

I think you should be fine, but do consider retaking. It seems you lose some opprtunities by going from PT to FT after 1L. Again, I have little qualification to give advice, but keep an open mind.

don_geis

Postby don_geis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:56 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
TF31 wrote:So I was deferred a few days ago (same email blast as most of you). Here's my question: Is it still possible for me to request a 1 yr deferment (if I eventually get in), or do you have to be accepted outright to qualify for a 1 yr deferment? I know that most of the time you need to be outright accepted in order to request a 1 yr attendance deferment... not sure if anyone has any intel on this reference Rut-New specifically? Thanks.

After navigating around their website it looks like Rutgers Newark doesn't grant deferrals. But I see from your other posts that you're in the military - would you be requesting the deferral for military service? If so, there is a military exception.

Side note, I had a ton of fun as a cadet when I played a G at Robin Sage!

I'm a current student and deferred for a year. The school actually has a very friendly deferral process, basically you just ask for it and they give it to you. I would say it's best to have a good reason in case they ask, but also for you. You should only defer if you have other things you want to do for that year, not because you don't feel ready.

Also, as far as your situation, I would say that if you are eventually admitted, it wouldn't matter that you were initially deferred. It may get tricky if you don't hear back until August. But, in my opinion, the school isn't going to admit you (outright, after being deferred, or off the waitlist) unless they want you to go there. And, like I said, they are very accommodating if you feel you need to wait a year to begin.

dntburntheday

Postby dntburntheday » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:48 am

RU12345 wrote:Part time because of my lsat, thought I would have a better chance getting in and then switching to full time shortly after.

You gotta be careful with that...when I spoke with some of the admissions people during a visit they stressed that the part-time program wasn't a "back door" entrance into the law school. Yes, the numbers are slightly lower than the FT program...but that is because many of the applicants to the PT program have experience beyond undergrad that pad their numbers...people who didn't have the numbers right after undergrad and needed additional experience to combat lower numbers...what both Dean of Admissions from RU-N and SHU described as a "fit factor." In fact...the admission rate is much lower to the PT program compared to the FT program...for example, in 2010 RU-N FT program had a 31% (817 admitted) admission rate while the PT program had a 17% (128 admitted) admission rate.

You're GPA rocks...and its VERY possible you will get in. IF you don't get in...re-take the LSAT and try to get those 5 extra points. But, I would apply full time unless you've started a career that you wanna keep during school...

Taudelt99

Postby Taudelt99 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:33 pm

dntburntheday wrote:
RU12345 wrote:Part time because of my lsat, thought I would have a better chance getting in and then switching to full time shortly after.

You gotta be careful with that...when I spoke with some of the admissions people during a visit they stressed that the part-time program wasn't a "back door" entrance into the law school. Yes, the numbers are slightly lower than the FT program...but that is because many of the applicants to the PT program have experience beyond undergrad that pad their numbers...people who didn't have the numbers right after undergrad and needed additional experience to combat lower numbers...what both Dean of Admissions from RU-N and SHU described as a "fit factor." In fact...the admission rate is much lower to the PT program compared to the FT program...for example, in 2010 RU-N FT program had a 31% (817 admitted) admission rate while the PT program had a 17% (128 admitted) admission rate.

You're GPA rocks...and its VERY possible you will get in. IF you don't get in...re-take the LSAT and try to get those 5 extra points. But, I would apply full time unless you've started a career that you wanna keep during school...

Does anyone think that the issue might be his/her undergrad school? Too many Rutgers (undergrad) applicants. It would be interesting to know how many applicants came from Rutgers, how many get accepted and what their numbers are.

dntburntheday

Postby dntburntheday » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Taudelt99 wrote:Does anyone think that the issue might be his/her undergrad school? Too many Rutgers (undergrad) applicants. It would be interesting to know how many applicants came from Rutgers, how many get accepted and what their numbers are.

When I toured, Roberta Geddis said that the rumors about Rutgers Law avoiding their own undergrad were completely false. The applications all get treated the same. I got my B.A. at Rutgers...my LSDAS GPA was 2.75...and I got in PT...all due to soft factors though.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:01 pm

I visited today and got a tour from a great 3L.

Facilities looked fantastic. Students I talked to all really love it. The area is actually pretty good - I was expecting it to be awful and I was pleasantly surprised. There wasn't any class going on, but there was still a good amount of activity in the library and in the club offices.

Only negative experience of the day was dealing with signing at security. The guards seemed like they couldn't comprehend why anyone would visit, and they had no idea where the admissions office was. Doesn't impact my view of the school at all, I just thought it was odd.

doceydoe

Postby doceydoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:14 am

RU12345 wrote:
dntburntheday wrote:

Part time because of my lsat, thought I would have a better chance getting in and then switching to full time shortly after.

Ive heard the same about not being fooled by the lower stats for part-time....nevertheless I scored fairly low on both my LSATs, fortunately however I had a decent GPA...my work experience was nothing serious (post grad menial labor) and I was accepted to more than one
school's part-time program (I was expecting deferrals and WLs)

I can't help but think schools have their rankings in mind when they accept students with low numbers but other appealling qualities

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 am

What's rent like in Newark? When I visited on Friday I had lunch at my buddy's apartment a few blocks away (he's a 1L at SHU) and he lived in a pretty fancy building for $1000/month. Is there anything else out there that's nice, safe, and maybe a little cheaper?

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:12 am

2LT_CPG wrote:What's rent like in Newark? When I visited on Friday I had lunch at my buddy's apartment a few blocks away (he's a 1L at SHU) and he lived in a pretty fancy building for $1000/month. Is there anything else out there that's nice, safe, and maybe a little cheaper?

Do you know what this building was called? Im going to be there the third week in March to look around but that sounds like a good deal.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 am

neeko wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:What's rent like in Newark? When I visited on Friday I had lunch at my buddy's apartment a few blocks away (he's a 1L at SHU) and he lived in a pretty fancy building for $1000/month. Is there anything else out there that's nice, safe, and maybe a little cheaper?

Do you know what this building was called? Im going to be there the third week in March to look around but that sounds like a good deal.

It was called Eleven80, on Raymond and Broad. He had one roommate, so they paid $2000/month.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:35 am

2LT_CPG wrote:
neeko wrote:

It was called Eleven80, on Raymond and Broad. He had one roommate, so they paid $2000/month.

I've heard that Eleven80 is one of the nicer buildings in the area. On the whole, $2000 for a nice 2BR in a nice, secure building is pretty good okay for the area. Otherwise I would look at buildings that aren't as nice in Jersey City and Hoboken (I feel like if you sacrifice too much in Newark, you will totally end up in the ghetto, but I'm admittedly ignorant of the real estate market in Newark). Use http://www.zillow.com for rental searches, Real Estate agents even use it as a search tool. Hope that helps. I'm "lucky" in that I can potentially split a one BR or a large alcove studio with my girlfriend, so hopefully that can land us something really nice for much cheaper.

ETA: After a brief search, I found that Eleven80 might be more expensive than the others, like the Union building. But it also might be much nicer, you'd just have to visit. It is my understanding that what you get for the money isn't too bad, but there are better places to be had elsewhere. Personally, I feel like the less time I spend in Newark outside of the law campus, the better. It's too bad that such nice law schools like Rutgers and Seton Hall are in such a shady area.
Last edited by iceicebaby on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 am

iceicebaby wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:
neeko wrote:

I've heard that Eleven80 is one of the nicer buildings in the area. On the whole, $2000 for a nice 2BR in a nice, secure building is pretty good for the area. Otherwise I would look at buildings that aren't as nice in Jersey City and Hoboken (I feel like if you sacrifice too much in Newark, you will totally end up in the ghetto, but I'm admittedly ignorant of the real estate market in Newark). Use http://www.zillow.com for rental searches, Real Estate agents even use it as a search tool. Hope that helps. I'm "lucky" in that I can potentially split a one BR or a large alcove studio with my girlfriend, so hopefully that can land us something really nice for much cheaper.

Oh yeah, I like that place. It doesn't take dogs though, and I don't want a roommate. I see some decent looking places in Jersey City sometimes, I try to look in the Journal Square area by the PATH. I like Weehawken, too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”