Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
king3780

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby king3780 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 pm

FrozenCavemanLawyer wrote:
dntburntheday wrote:in via status checker...complete 12/9/2011 for part time...156/2.75, M.S. in genetics: 3.5

good job!! I am applying to part-time. My numbers right now are 3.3/152 and I am retaking in February so I'm hoping I get that score up a few points to get into the part-time program. Does anyone know how part-timers are included in the class ranking system?

Rutgers doesn't rank students at all.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:50 pm

allmodcons wrote:I was really really impressed personally. In short, here's what I got out of it:

-really good impression from the faculty/staff. They seem to truly care and were approachable and genuine.
-class size was smaller than I expected for Rutgers (sat in on a Con Law class)
-good looking facilities- the building seems fairly new and the campus was safer than I expected as well
-heard from current students about journals, LR, moot court, etc.

The open house helped seal the deal for me at RU. So far, it seems like a great place to get a legal education, carries a LOT of weight in NJ, and the overall "vibe" of the school was extremely pleasant and I could definitely see myself there. If you have any specific questions, I could try and answer them. Hope this helps neeko

How many were in the Con Law class? I was in the PT program as a 1L, so I'm not sure what the standard size of FT 1L classes is. I had about 60 in three classes and 30 or so in the other three. When I switched to FT I hadn't done property yet so I did that with the FT 1Ls and there were about 80. I had one class as a 2L with about 115 (business associations), but most classes don't go over 60 or so, and once you get past the most popular electives it gets down to 15-30.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:
allmodcons wrote:I was really really impressed personally. In short, here's what I got out of it:

-really good impression from the faculty/staff. They seem to truly care and were approachable and genuine.
-good looking facilities- the building seems fairly new and the campus was safer than I expected as well

The open house helped seal the deal for me at RU. So far, it seems like a great place to get a legal education, carries a LOT of weight in NJ, and the overall "vibe" of the school was extremely pleasant and I could definitely see myself there. If you have any specific questions, I could try and answer them. Hope this helps neeko

The one thing I didn't like was the Con Law class....I'm not sure which section you were in, but very few people were talking in the class. It felt like many classes I had/have in undergrad.

I'm a 3L and I've been in both the FT and PT programs. I don't think your Con Law experience was an aberration. Some profs are better than others at stimulating discussion, but for the most part only a handful of people will join the discussion in any given class. It can get rather frustrating, especially when it's the same five or six people out of 60 talking for the whole semester while everyone else facebooks and gchats.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 pm

king3780 wrote:

How many were in the Con Law class? I was in the PT program as a 1L, so I'm not sure what the standard size of FT 1L classes is. I had about 60 in three classes and 30 or so in the other three. When I switched to FT I hadn't done property yet so I did that with the FT 1Ls and there were about 80. I had one class as a 2L with about 115 (business associations), but most classes don't go over 60 or so, and once you get past the most popular electives it gets down to 15-30.

I'm a recent grad who did full time all the way through. I would say your generalization regarding the faculty 's approachability is an aberration. I'm sure they exposed you to the minority who do exhibit interest in their students, but in my experience the majority of the faculty were unapproachable for a variety of reasons. The average size of a normal 1L class will range from 75-90 people depending on how many small section tracks they combine. In reality, RU doesn't do as effective a job as SHU in marketing its students to employers and I have found the alumni network to be less cohesive than I originally expected. But that may be just my personal experience. New Jersey in general is a tough legal market because it is still poached by T-14 grads who didn't get what they wanted in NY but will be attractive to some of the larger NJ firms and more prestigious clerkships. I can definitely say that RU's weight in NJ will not automatically give you opportunities. Your thoughts on the building and everything else are on target.

dntburntheday

Postby dntburntheday » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 pm

get it to x wrote:I'm a recent grad who did full time all the way through.

What type of law are you practicing now? Was there anything that you wish you had read prior to starting your first year? I'm feeling like I want to do something productive between now and when classes start but I am not sure what would be a waste of time or what would be beneficial.

Also, have you heard of anyone taking the patent bar before starting law school just to get it out of the way? I am in the part time program and have thought transitioning my career while I am in law school to try to get a head start...figured having that done might help? Thoughts?

king3780

Postby king3780 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:56 pm

dntburntheday wrote:

What type of law are you practicing now? Was there anything that you wish you had read prior to starting your first year? I'm feeling like I want to do something productive between now and when classes start but I am not sure what would be a waste of time or what would be beneficial.

Also, have you heard of anyone taking the patent bar before starting law school just to get it out of the way? I am in the part time program and have thought transitioning my career while I am in law school to try to get a head start...figured having that done might help? Thoughts?

I have classmates you took the patent bar before and during law school and the consensus seems to be it's much better to get it out of the way before school starts.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 pm

dntburntheday wrote:

I practice civil litigation in NYC. People will say read Getting to Maybe to begin to train your mind to think in the completely weird way the professors will want you to write your exam answers. I didn't find the book particularly earth shattering because each professor will have their own rubric for grading exams. Most of the time they won't even tell you what they want in an exam answer or how to structure it. Your approach will be something that you refine as you go through each exam from semester to semester. Some people are more proficient at it early on than most. But don't let that act as a benchmark as to whether or not you're a going to be a good lawyer.

Honestly, I wouldn't do anything. The pre-1L reading supplements and in extreme cases, actual casebooks, is a complete waste of time. You have no idea what you are doing. Wait until you actually get settled with a casebook in a classroom with a professor to get a feel for how you should approach the course. You will be on a treadmill for the next three years with no real break. You'll go from 1L hell through write-on if you elect to do so (journals are a major time-suck and, in my opinion, are not really worth it for the time commitment. In the end, they don't give you an advantage in a job search.) to an unpaid summer internship to a busy 2L summer to likely another unpaid summer internship (unless you're one of the top 5 ppl in the class who will actually get something through OCI) to 3L and the bar exam. Relax, go the beach, and enjoy the last few months of being able to do whatever you want whenever you want. Law school will treat you like a child in certain respects.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm

I have started an ask a Rutgers student thread in another forum if you all have questions about RU. I will probably not be checking the site regularly after tomorrow, but my hope is other RU students will jump in.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm a National Guard officer so I'd go to Rutgers Newark for free because of the state's tuition waiver if I get in. I also realized yesterday I hadn't mailed my certification letter. So hopefully that won't hold things up terribly long.

Beeg12

Postby Beeg12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:24 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I'm a National Guard officer so I'd go to Rutgers Newark for free because of the state's tuition waiver if I get in. I also realized yesterday I hadn't mailed my certification letter. So hopefully that won't hold things up terribly long.

I got my certification letter in on 12/19 and have heard no word back yet. It seems that they do not begin reviewing an application until the certification letter is in. I would consider your application process at Rutgers completely stalled until you go complete. As far as how long it takes from there, I do not know.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Beeg12 wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:I'm a National Guard officer so I'd go to Rutgers Newark for free because of the state's tuition waiver if I get in. I also realized yesterday I hadn't mailed my certification letter. So hopefully that won't hold things up terribly long.

I got my certification letter in on 12/19 and have heard no word back yet. It seems that they do not begin reviewing an application until the certification letter is in. I would consider your application process at Rutgers completely stalled until you go complete. As far as how long it takes from there, I do not know.

I mailed it yesterday, so it's en route.

Beeg12

Postby Beeg12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 pm

I mailed it with tracking and it went complete 2 days after it arrived.

If I get in with any kind of money it will be tough to turn down the low cost/quality of school ratio that Rutgers provides.

Good luck with your App.

AreJay490

Postby AreJay490 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Went complete on 12/7 and have not heard anything yet. Can I abide by the "no news is good news" principle here? LSAT/GPA - 155/3.9 from an in-state school, two internships, extremely active on campus. Applied PT. Any advice/input on my chances?

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Anyone have photos of the campus or the building?

BrunetteElle

Postby BrunetteElle » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:13 pm

AreJay490 wrote:Went complete on 12/7 and have not heard anything yet. Can I abide by the "no news is good news" principle here? LSAT/GPA - 155/3.9 from an in-state school, two internships, extremely active on campus. Applied PT. Any advice/input on my chances?

we have veeery similar stats and i'm also from an in-state school. it seems like no major batches of acceptances have gone out (complete as of 11/4 here), or at least according to this forum lol

jozzy22

Postby jozzy22 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 pm

In via e-mail, 12,000 3.0 stipulation

Beeg12

Postby Beeg12 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:12 pm

jozzy22 wrote:In via e-mail, 12,000 3.0 stipulation

When did you go complete?

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:46 pm

In the long term, RU-Newark may be the better choice over RU-Camden....RU-Camden may possibly be no more in the future and instead it will be a Rowan Law degree.

http://www.politickernj.com/54296/chris ... y-overhaul

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:50 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:In the long term, RU-Newark may be the better choice over RU-Camden....RU-Camden may possibly be no more in the future and instead it will be a Rowan Law degree.

Rowan Law? Think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

allmodcons

Postby allmodcons » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:54 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:In the long term, RU-Newark may be the better choice over RU-Camden....RU-Camden may possibly be no more in the future and instead it will be a Rowan Law degree.

Meh, the law school itself wouldn't change much except in name (I would imagine). Still, yeah.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Cornelius wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Meh, the law school itself wouldn't change much except in name (I would imagine). Still, yeah.

But couldn't you argue that the Rutgers brand is definitely a huge boost? Rowan completely lacks that.

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:02 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:But couldn't you argue that the Rutgers brand is definitely a huge boost? Rowan completely lacks that.

Probably. I guess the question is whether people who have come out of Rutgers-C before would identify with "Rowan Law" grads. My guess is: not as much as people attending would like. I'd imagine a great deal would continue to identify with the Rutgers name.

It definitely would dilute the brand and probably make the schools even more local (i.e. Rutgers for North Jersey, Rowan for South).

Then again, this may not refer to the law school. There is a Rutgers Camden campus that isn't law related, right?

dntburntheday

Postby dntburntheday » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:00 am

Not gonna happen...McCormick's message to the Rutgers community today...

Members of the Rutgers Community:

Today Governor Christie released and endorsed the final report of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Advisory Committee, chaired by Dr. Sol Barer. You can view the document by visiting http://medicaleducation.rutgers.edu. Today’s report expands upon the committee’s interim report, which made the far-sighted recommendation to integrate the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, the Cancer Institute of New Jersey, and the School of Public Health within Rutgers University.

As I have stated before, this proposed realignment in New Brunswick and Piscataway presents an opportunity for Rutgers and New Jersey to seize greatness and raise the state’s flagship university to the very top tier of research institutions. It offers enormous potential to enhance education in the health sciences and other fields, increase federal funding, create new biomedical companies and jobs, improve access to the latest treatments for state residents, and reestablish New Jersey as a global leader in pharmaceuticals and biomedical science.

Today’s report proposes a revamped health sciences university based in Newark, to be called the New Jersey Health Sciences University. The report also recommends a formalized research collaboration among Rutgers and the other public research universities in Newark, which I applaud. Under this proposal, our Newark campus will expand its opportunities to conduct joint research initiatives while remaining a part of Rutgers.

The report also, for the first time, proposes creating an expanded research university in southern New Jersey that would integrate the Rutgers-Camden Campus into Rowan University.

Rutgers-Camden is a special place whose faculty and students work together closely within an intimate campus environment. Rutgers-Camden is also an immensely valuable part of a statewide public research university where faculty consistently advance Rutgers’ research mission, connect the university throughout southern New Jersey, and extend our global reputation as a center for innovation and scholarship. Rutgers serves as a vital magnet for the City of Camden and allows southern New Jersey families to obtain Rutgers degrees without relocating or disrupting their lives and careers. The university has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the Camden Campus – including more than $100 million over the past five years for new academic and student facilities. Rutgers has made a significant commitment to South Jersey, which is part of our pledge to serve the entire state and is intrinsic to our role as The State University of New Jersey.

I believe a Rutgers with a medical school in New Brunswick and a presence in every region of the state would serve New Jersey exceptionally well. Needless to say, the proposed restructuring involving Rutgers-Camden will require a thorough discussion and an important decision.

Recommendations of this magnitude by law require the consent of our two governing boards – the Board of Governors and the Board of Trustees – which have ultimate responsibility for ensuring the university’s future progress. I look forward to discussing these significant recommendations with board members and others within the Rutgers community before formulating my recommendation on how to proceed. Our final decision must be driven by what is best for the entire university and the state of New Jersey.

Richard L. McCormick
President
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:10 am

In Today!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”