Arizona State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jennbear

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Fri May 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Waitlisted just now. Glad I am still in the running but not looking forward to another long wait . . .

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri May 18, 2012 4:57 pm

sorry guys :cry:

Solieyu

Postby Solieyu » Fri May 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Waitlisted as well. Sigh.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:18 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 pm

hoos89 wrote:Just got my admissions packet with a $30,000 scholarship but it's cut as $20k 1L and $10k 2L. I get why the 2L scholarship is cheaper because they assume I will be a resident 2L but what's the deal with no 3L scholarship?

I think they frontload their schollys for a number of reasons. It'll give you less stress for your 1L and they may assume you'll be working as a 3L. Totally pulling this outta my as*, though.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Fri May 18, 2012 8:04 pm

I sent my withdraw....twice (last month) and received a call tonight from a student ambassador who was shocked that I had already withdrawn.....twice......

I did also received 30k. Hopefully they will process the withdraw (finally) and get some of you off the wait list.

sinisterkid

Postby sinisterkid » Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 pm

SarahT wrote:I sent my withdraw....twice (last month) and received a call tonight from a student ambassador who was shocked that I had already withdrawn.....twice......

I did also received 30k. Hopefully they will process the withdraw (finally) and get some of you off the wait list.

Same.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Fri May 18, 2012 9:18 pm

I just sent an email to Shelli requesting a one-year deferral so I can get my LSAT score up in October and get a better scholarship next year.

Hopefully one of you gets off the waitlist and into my spot!

Glock

Postby Glock » Fri May 18, 2012 9:20 pm

gaud wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Just got my admissions packet with a $30,000 scholarship but it's cut as $20k 1L and $10k 2L. I get why the 2L scholarship is cheaper because they assume I will be a resident 2L but what's the deal with no 3L scholarship?

I think they frontload their schollys for a number of reasons. It'll give you less stress for your 1L and they may assume you'll be working as a 3L. Totally pulling this outta my as*, though.

This is basically right. Psychologically the money has a bigger effect on you if it is front-loaded. It lets them spread it thinner for the same effect.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri May 18, 2012 9:34 pm

buddytyler wrote:I just sent an email to Shelli requesting a one-year deferral so I can get my LSAT score up in October and get a better scholarship next year.

I believe that's a wise decision man, good luck to you!

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:09 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glock

Postby Glock » Sat May 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Sure, but I know first hand that the purpose is to impact the mind. Frontloaded feels better.

arizonastategirl23

Postby arizonastategirl23 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Withdrew. I didn't like the frontloaded schollys--- plus I can't wait to get outta here. Hopefully someone from TLS gets my spot (and money)

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon May 21, 2012 1:26 pm

jennbear wrote:Waitlisted just now. Glad I am still in the running but not looking forward to another long wait . . .

I was beginning to think they lost your application. :P

Now you can wait until July for the waitlist movement.

To give you an idea on how backward they are, I called on Friday and the admissions office said they don 't expect the waitlist to move until July because very few people have withdrawn their admittances.

Then I read that people have withdrawn multiple times. UGHHH.

I am guessing they are overwhelmed and understaffed.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon May 21, 2012 1:27 pm

buddytyler wrote:I just sent an email to Shelli requesting a one-year deferral so I can get my LSAT score up in October and get a better scholarship next year.

Let us know how it goes. I am curious if they will offer you a larger scholarship. Luck.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon May 21, 2012 1:33 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:

Let us know how it goes. I am curious if they will offer you a larger scholarship. Luck.

I'm sure they will if he scores higher.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon May 21, 2012 1:45 pm

gaud wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

You don't think they will offer him a larger scholarship if he tells them he wants to defer for scholarship reasons?

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon May 21, 2012 1:47 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
gaud wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

You don't think they will offer him a larger scholarship if he tells them he wants to defer for scholarship reasons?

I honestly have no idea. I can't imagine they would offer anything substantially different if his application is basically the same. ASU doesn't have a ton of $$$ to throw around.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Mon May 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Another year of work experience can't hurt in the long run, either.

Compared to my PTs, I under-performed on the real thing by a huge margin, and according to LSN that's the difference between the $10k scholarship they offered me and the $55k max scholarship they give to in-staters. I'd like to go this year, but it just doesn't make financial sense.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon May 21, 2012 1:53 pm

buddytyler wrote:Another year of work experience can't hurt in the long run, either.

Compared to my PTs, I under-performed on the real thing by a huge margin, and according to LSN that's the difference between the $10k scholarship they offered me and the $55k max scholarship they give to in-staters. I'd like to go this year, but it just doesn't make financial sense.

As I said before, I believe you're making the right decision.

I did basically the same thing (except I was rejected by ASU last cycle). Retook and worked to save up $$$ and now I'm much more comfortable with my decision when I consider the total cost of attendance.

jennbear

Postby jennbear » Mon May 21, 2012 2:34 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
jennbear wrote:Waitlisted just now. Glad I am still in the running but not looking forward to another long wait . . .

I was beginning to think they lost your application. :P

Now you can wait until July for the waitlist movement.

To give you an idea on how backward they are, I called on Friday and the admissions office said they don 't expect the waitlist to move until July because very few people have withdrawn their admittances.

Then I read that people have withdrawn multiple times. UGHHH.

I am guessing they are overwhelmed and understaffed.

I was beginning to think they lost my app too! Wasn't it you who heard a rumor that they exhausted the waitlist last year? Have you been able to find out anything else about that? If I have a good chance of getting in off the waitlist I really don't mind waiting a couple more months . . . what will kill me is a reject after waiting 7 months.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon May 21, 2012 3:25 pm

jennbear wrote: Wasn't it you who heard a rumor that they exhausted the waitlist last year? Have you been able to find out anything else about that?

I point blank asked that question when I called last Friday. She refused to answer that. She paused for at least 30 seconds and then she said "I am not going to answer that question but.." I assume the pause was to get me to change the subject by asking another question.

I have also asked multiple ASU law students and none of them know.

My opinion is that they are so behind and so disorganized that unless things change, they really won't move anyone off the waitlist until at least July.

One of the current law students told me that my best bet was to show up the first day of orientation because they won't know who is attending until then.

I figure though if enough of us call, and ask poignant questions maybe we will get some real answers.

If I have a good chance of getting in off the waitlist I really don't mind waiting a couple more months . . . what will kill me is a reject after waiting 7 months.

What did your waitlist email say?

Code: Select all

We recognize that not all applicants to whom we offer admission will enroll, and [b]we anticipate that yield in making our initial offers[/b].  However, there is the possibility that fewer people will accept our initial offers than we expect, and we maintain a small waiting list in the event that we are able to make any additional offers.

I asked about the bold section when I called the first time, they told me they don't expect waitlist movement. I asked about the bold section when I called the second time, they told me they expect waitlist movement but not very much. I asked about the bold section when I called the third time last Friday, they told me they expect waitlist movement but not until July. Each time I talked with a different person.

Code: Select all

The Admissions Committee had a very difficult job this year, selecting from a pool of approximately 2,000 talented applicants.  Our enrollment is quite limited with only 200 seats in this year’s entering class.

I asked one of the admissions people I talked with about the 200 seats since last year they only had 177 seats. Her reply was that she had never heard of a 200 seat limit or goal. She said the seat total hadn't been discussed.

I have schools like Wake Forest and others giving me specifics on their waitlists. Down to what exactly I have to do to get off of it and when I will get off of it.

SiRR

Postby SiRR » Mon May 21, 2012 5:36 pm

In today via e-mail.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon May 21, 2012 5:36 pm

SiRR wrote:In today via e-mail.

Congrats!

Will you post your stats to help those still waiting?

SiRR

Postby SiRR » Mon May 21, 2012 6:04 pm

gaud wrote:
SiRR wrote:In today via e-mail.

Congrats!

Will you post your stats to help those still waiting?

Thank you. A good day, for sure. Complicates my decision a bit, but still waiting to hear from another school and one big wait list.

Bio Sciences/Econ
5 years Fortune 500 work experience
ASU grad/Arizona resident

Spent four years at ASU, worked for a while, then came back and added Econ when I decided to go to law school. Submitted addendum for UGPA, since I came back (last two years) it is a 3.73. Also took two law school classes (paper courses), and did very well.
Last edited by SiRR on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”