Arizona State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu May 03, 2012 5:44 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Sorry about that...what were your stats?


Below both medians.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon May 07, 2012 1:18 pm

favrefire4 wrote: Yep, I withdrew from everywhere else.


I want to know how you afford all those deposits. Haven't you paid three already?

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon May 07, 2012 1:29 pm

favrefire4 wrote:
Glock wrote:.Kathy told me the other day that most of their wait list activity doesn't occur until June or July.



That is great. By that time people have to submit second deposits to other schools, sign leases, get roommates, arrange financial aid etc.

jgrady1
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jgrady1 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Finally!! Just got accepted. Probably not going, but my application cycle comes to an end... in a good way :)

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby hoos89 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aellio26
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby aellio26 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:30 pm

hey guys,

I am still deciding between U of A and ASU, and was wondering if you guys know reasons I would choose ASU over U of A. They both seem to be relatively small, and cost around the same... I haven't lived in Arizona so I am not familiar with either

thanks so much!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm

aellio26 wrote:hey guys,

I am still deciding between U of A and ASU, and was wondering if you guys know reasons I would choose ASU over U of A. They both seem to be relatively small, and cost around the same... I haven't lived in Arizona so I am not familiar with either

thanks so much!


Go to whichever is cheaper. Differences are minimal.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 12:25 am

aellio26 wrote:hey guys,

I am still deciding between U of A and ASU, and was wondering if you guys know reasons I would choose ASU over U of A. They both seem to be relatively small, and cost around the same... I haven't lived in Arizona so I am not familiar with either

thanks so much!


I think this has been discussed plenty before but the quality of the schools don't have as big of a difference as the cities being different.

Tempe = part of huge metropolitan Phoenix, tons of things to do inside/outside/nightlife

Tucson = much smaller college town, less nightlight, but plenty to do outside if you're into desert hiking/biking. Might be a better place if you're worried about being distracted by nightlife/big city of Phoenix&Tempe.

With both, you'll need great grades to get Phoenix BigLaw. But everyone here will argue which school is better for networking/alumni/MidLaw. Which means they are probably pretty similar. The cities, everyone can agree they are really different.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 am

Congrats guys! I'm jealous!!

pbfoot
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby pbfoot » Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 pm

in yesterday, anyone know if scholarship offers are made via email or the admit packet?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm

pbfoot wrote:in yesterday, anyone know if scholarship offers are made via email or the admit packet?


You'll receive it in the formal acceptance letter in a week or so.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:33 pm

jgrady1 wrote:Finally!! Just got accepted. Probably not going, but my application cycle comes to an end... in a good way :)



Headed to the Windy City?

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm

hoos89 wrote: I sent it in in late December and I honestly thought they had lost my application or something. Seems weird to send out decisions this late.



I am sure their weirdness will all change once you enroll :P

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:48 pm

aellio26 wrote:hey guys,

I am still deciding between U of A and ASU, and was wondering if you guys know reasons I would choose ASU over U of A. They both seem to be relatively small, and cost around the same... I haven't lived in Arizona so I am not familiar with either

thanks so much!



U of A has a lot smaller class and is way more personal. They also have a LOT more money thanks to the Rogers. The cost of living is way cheaper in Tucson and there is little traffic and no haboobs. Only a skilled person would notice the pollution in Tucson while children, the sick and old people are asked not to go outside too much in Phoenix.

U of A remains study in the rankings while ASU jumps around a lot.
U of A has great access to the Las Vegas and San Diego markets while ASU is purely Phoenix.

One good thing about Phoenix is you get your trash picked up twice a week, while in Tucson it is only once. Which many times is the selling point.

The only other reason I know people choose Phoenix over Tucson is for family reasons.

Image

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 pm

pbfoot wrote:in yesterday, anyone know if scholarship offers are made via email or the admit packet?



Are you going?

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 3:00 pm

desertlaw wrote: Tucson = much smaller college town,


I have a hard time calling Tucson a college town or even a smaller town. Tucson area is around 1 million people. Which is the 32nd largest city in the United States. Which makes it the 52 largest metropolitan area in the United States.

Tucson is larger than Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Tampa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and of course Sioux Falls, SD.

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Nammertat » Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
desertlaw wrote: Tucson = much smaller college town,


I have a hard time calling Tucson a college town or even a smaller town. Tucson area is around 1 million people. Which is the 32nd largest city in the United States. Which makes it the 52 largest metropolitan area in the United States.

Tucson is larger than Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Tampa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and of course Sioux Falls, SD.


I will grant that Tuscon has more people than many other cities.... But anyone who has ever been there knows the place is a HOLE. The city is just plain ghetto, and no level of population is going to overcome that.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Nammertat wrote:I will grant that Tuscon has more people than many other cities.... But anyone who has ever been there knows the place is a HOLE. The city is just plain ghetto, and no level of population is going to overcome that.



For some reason this image came to mind when I read your comment. No offense intended but in many ways it sums up Tucson.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Nammertat wrote:I will grant that Tuscon has more people than many other cities.... But anyone who has ever been there knows the place is a HOLE. The city is just plain ghetto, and no level of population is going to overcome that.



For some reason this image came to mind when I read your comment. No offense intended but in many ways it sums up Tucson.


As a lifelong east valley resident, I can confirm that the Phoenix area is in almost every way superior to Tucson. If given a choice between ASU law and U of A law, I can't see any real reason why anyone would choose U of A. If you're attending either school you're likely going to be practicing in the state, and at ASU you will have a lot more interaction with Phoenix firms/government agencies than at U of A.

That being said, I don't think either one is worth attending without a nearly full ride scholly.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Tue May 08, 2012 3:59 pm

buddytyler wrote:I can confirm that the Phoenix area is in almostevery way superior to Tucson.


FTFY

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 pm

buddytyler wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:
Nammertat wrote:I will grant that Tuscon has more people than many other cities.... But anyone who has ever been there knows the place is a HOLE. The city is just plain ghetto, and no level of population is going to overcome that.



For some reason this image came to mind when I read your comment. No offense intended but in many ways it sums up Tucson.


As a lifelong east valley resident, I can confirm that the Phoenix area is in almost every way superior to Tucson. If given a choice between ASU law and U of A law, I can't see any real reason why anyone would choose U of A. If you're attending either school you're likely going to be practicing in the state, and at ASU you will have a lot more interaction with Phoenix firms/government agencies than at U of A.

That being said, I don't think either one is worth attending without a nearly full ride scholly.


This thread or another one has discussed this issue over and over. Best argument for living in Tucson during law school is if you want to be "less tempted" by the distractions of a big city of Tempe/Phoenix.

jgrady1
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jgrady1 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:43 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
jgrady1 wrote:Finally!! Just got accepted. Probably not going, but my application cycle comes to an end... in a good way :)



Headed to the Windy City?


Yeah :) Completed undergrad and grad school at ASU. Time to move on :) Six years is plenty of time to be at one school. I'll miss it though ASU is a great school.

pbfoot
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby pbfoot » Tue May 08, 2012 4:49 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
pbfoot wrote:in yesterday, anyone know if scholarship offers are made via email or the admit packet?



Are you going?

Depends on their offer...anyone know if they negotiate? I'm sitting on 30k at IUB, 60k at Wake, and waitlists at W&M and UNC. Love Chapel Hill so I'll likely go to UNC if I get in regardless of scholarship, W&M maybe, but pending those, and unless ASU's offer is comparable, I'm leaning Wake.

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Tue May 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Still no decision; talked with Kathy a little while ago and she said her best guess with respect to my application is that there will be a decision around the middle of the month. Not sure what to think of this . . . I am frustrated, but have managed to retain a little hope. This has been a very long five months. Good luck to those of you still waiting this out!

Edit: I recently graduated with an increase in GPA from the time I submitted my application, albeit a small one (LSDAS GPA: 3.75 to 3.83; degree GPA: 4.16 to 4.21). Would it be beneficial to submit an updated transcript at this point,or just ride it out?

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Who has gotten their financial aid package? Does it include living expenses estimate as well?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, ellielaw, Google Adsense [Bot], l3g@l33s3, margaretmitchell, MSNbot Media, sdancer89, ThorB, vcap180 and 23 guests