Arizona State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:01 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Even though I've been and toured (last summer) what are everyone's thoughts on making another impromptu visit out there?!


if it wouldn't be a burden financially i would

i imagine it could only help your waitlist situation

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:12 pm

gaud wrote:Well, since you aren't going into patent law (assuming), IMHO deferring would be wise. Like I mentioned earlier, 55k towards off of your loans is amazing. Realistically, if you don't defer and attend this fall, you won't be able to put that much towards loan in that extra year of work, ya know?

Still, it's only one opinion and you should take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: ma grammar is crap, oh well


This is probably a dumb question, but (hypothetically speaking) if you are accepted with no merit scholarship, defer, re-take, and gain a higher score, could you then request they reconsider granting a scholarship award?

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

gaud wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:Even though I've been and toured (last summer) what are everyone's thoughts on making another impromptu visit out there?!


if it wouldn't be a burden financially i would

i imagine it could only help your waitlist situation


I agree.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:17 pm

jennbear wrote:
gaud wrote:Well, since you aren't going into patent law (assuming), IMHO deferring would be wise. Like I mentioned earlier, 55k towards off of your loans is amazing. Realistically, if you don't defer and attend this fall, you won't be able to put that much towards loan in that extra year of work, ya know?

Still, it's only one opinion and you should take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: ma grammar is crap, oh well


This is probably a dumb question, but (hypothetically speaking) if you are accepted with no merit scholarship, defer, re-take, and gain a higher score, could you then request they reconsider granting a scholarship award?


While I can't be sure on ASU's policy regarding this, I know plenty of other schools are more than willing to do this. I almost did it with a T2 last cycle.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's very likely they'd allow you to do it. Obviously, if it was something you were seriously considering, speaking with admissions about it would be a good idea.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I doubt you'd even have to defer. When I was thinking of doing this, the school I was discussing it with was going to allow me to retake for the June LSAT, stay enrolled for the fall, and they'd adjust my scholarship accordingly.

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:27 pm

I had actually considered retaking in June if by chance I did receive a waitlist/admit decision from ASU, but figured this was not something they would consider. If I were to gain admission I doubt very seriously any substantial scholarship award would be given, which is obviously an important factor in this whole process, so it is good to know that this may be an option!

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:37 pm

So, consensus is that it would be worth going out there for?

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:03 pm

favrefire4 wrote:So, consensus is that it would be worth going out there for?


If dedication, ongoing and serious interest is what they are looking for when making decisions from the waitlist, then I think it would absolutely help you.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 pm

jennbear wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:So, consensus is that it would be worth going out there for?


If dedication, ongoing and serious interest is what they are looking for when making decisions from the waitlist, then I think it would absolutely help you.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Think I might do it...trying to see if I can set up a meeting with Dean Soto.

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Glock » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:04 am

favrefire4 wrote:Even though I've been and toured (last summer) what are everyone's thoughts on making another impromptu visit out there?!



Well, considering that classes are over I am not sure what you will be looking at.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 am

Glock wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:Even though I've been and toured (last summer) what are everyone's thoughts on making another impromptu visit out there?!



Well, considering that classes are over I am not sure what you will be looking at.


It's not so much the fact that I'm looking at anything, I've already seen it all. It's that I want them to know how interested I am. I've heard multiple times that Dean Soto loves to see wait list candidates who are seriously interested.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 pm

favrefire4 wrote: and am waiting on 7 wait lists.



Wow, lucky seven huh? Seventh heaven?

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Even though I've been and toured (last summer) what are everyone's thoughts on making another impromptu visit out there?!



If people say you make a great first impression, I would do it. It works both ways. If you look better on paper than in person, I wouldn't.

my 2 cents.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Check that...SMU decided to make it an even 8 wait lists today. And yeah, I might just be leaning towards staying home and letting things play out.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:44 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Check that...SMU decided to make it an even 8 wait lists today.



8 is enough?



--ImageRemoved--

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:51 pm

I figured 7 wait lists wasn't quite enough.

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Has anyone heard anything this week at all? I was sure there would be some movement by now, especially since the seat deposit date has come and gone . . .

User avatar
tajudad
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby tajudad » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:15 pm

jennbear wrote:... especially since the seat deposit date has come and gone . . .


Only for the ED folks. For regular decision, it is May 15.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:46 pm

tajudad wrote:
jennbear wrote:... especially since the seat deposit date has come and gone . . .


Only for the ED folks. For regular decision, it is May 15.


That's a great thing to know. I didn't even pay attention to the fact that they would have separate deposit deadlines. So, there probably won't be any wait list movement until after this regular decision deposit deadline.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:48 pm

favrefire4 wrote: So, there probably won't be any wait list movement until after this regular decision deposit deadline.


I sure hope not. :?

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Yes, good to know. I was under the assumption everyone had the same date for the seat deposit, but it makes sense that they don't. I guess this could possibly indicate more waiting is in store.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:55 pm

I guess they could pull from the wait list earlier if they got a lousy yield from ED applicants?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm

favrefire4 wrote:I guess they could pull from the wait list earlier if they got a lousy yield from ED applicants?


I don't know. I'm guessing that would depend how many they accept ED vs regular decision.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 pm

gaud wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:I guess they could pull from the wait list earlier if they got a lousy yield from ED applicants?


I don't know. I'm guessing that would depend how many they accept ED vs regular decision.


Right, exactly...all things I wish I knew. I'm still hanging on here....riding this thing till the death.

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:02 pm

It is possible I suppose. I am becoming more and more worried about my chances at this point . . . I haven't been rejected (yet) but the prolonged silence on my app doesn't leave me feeling very hopeful that my future holds anything different. :?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Kaziende and 3 guests