Arizona State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 pm

gaud wrote:^ I recall you asking that question.

I don't believe the 80%. I know roughly ten grads from the past graduating class and they've all told me that maybe, just maybe, half of their class has gigs (full-time, J.D. Required)


Eh...I still want to go.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:28 pm

gaud wrote:Lol, nah, I was in that club before the year off.



You won't be too hard to identify.


Image

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:32 pm

buddytyler wrote: The intern says, out of his entire class that will be graduating in a few weeks, about 25% or less have gigs lined up. The rest are scrambling.



He doesn't need to fudge the numbers anymore, he got the job.

Image

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:34 pm

buddytyler wrote:Something does not add up. For that reason (and some other reasons) I will likely be sticking with my current gig in IT, at least for the time being, and withdrawing.



You could always defer.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:35 pm

favrefire4 wrote:
gaud wrote:^ I recall you asking that question.

I don't believe the 80%. I know roughly ten grads from the past graduating class and they've all told me that maybe, just maybe, half of their class has gigs (full-time, J.D. Required)


Eh...I still want to go.



Did you ever call and find out how big or long the waitlist is?

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 pm

I did not. Does anyone have any information on that?

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:11 pm

When was ASU's 1st seat deposit?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 pm

favrefire4 wrote:When was ASU's 1st seat deposit?


15th of April (yesterday)

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm curious what their initial yield was...

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:28 pm

favrefire4 wrote:I'm curious what their initial yield was...


I'd be interested to see this as well. I have no clue how we'd find such info, though. :?

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:31 pm

gaud wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:I'm curious what their initial yield was...


I'd be interested to see this as well. I have no clue how we'd find such info, though. :?


Do we know what it has been in the past? Or their yield in general? And, is there any chance, if they get a low yield, that they go to the wait list already, or will they simply wait till the 2nd seat deposit?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 pm

favrefire4 wrote:
gaud wrote:
favrefire4 wrote:I'm curious what their initial yield was...


I'd be interested to see this as well. I have no clue how we'd find such info, though. :?


Do we know what it has been in the past? Or their yield in general? And, is there any chance, if they get a low yield, that they go to the wait list already, or will they simply wait till the 2nd seat deposit?


I believe, in the past, the yield has been around 28%... I could be wrong, but I recall reading that number somewhere.

There's only one seat deposit of $250

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:34 pm

There's only one seat deposit?!?! I've never seen another school do that...how interesting. And it was due yesterday? I wonder why they wait so long to go to the wait list then...

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm

favrefire4 wrote:There's only one seat deposit?!?! I've never seen another school do that...how interesting. And it was due yesterday? I wonder why they wait so long to go to the wait list then...


It did seem a bit strange, but I'm fairly positive that there is only one. I haven't seen information regarding a second deposit.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:39 pm

I've just never heard of a school doing that. I wonder why...

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:57 pm

hmmm . . . that is strange, but maybe it means possible good news for those of us still waiting (waitlist or otherwise) :D

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:00 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
buddytyler wrote:Something does not add up. For that reason (and some other reasons) I will likely be sticking with my current gig in IT, at least for the time being, and withdrawing.



You could always defer.


I will probably defer and retake in October. I was PTing in the high 160's which (according to LSN) would've awarded me the highest scholarship ASU offers in-state students ($55k). But then I froze on test day and scored significantly below my PT average. I could handle the gloomy job market if I had only paid $20k over 3 years for tuition, but at nearly sticker it's not worth it to me.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:03 pm

buddytyler wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:
buddytyler wrote:Something does not add up. For that reason (and some other reasons) I will likely be sticking with my current gig in IT, at least for the time being, and withdrawing.



You could always defer.


I will probably defer and retake in October. I was PTing in the high 160's which (according to LSN) would've awarded me the highest scholarship ASU offers in-state students ($55k). But then I froze on test day and scored significantly below my PT average. I could handle the gloomy job market if I had only paid $20k over 3 years for tuition, but at nearly sticker it's not worth it to me.


Do it. It's much less stressful going with 55k, especially because they frontload it so the first year is basically free (so there's only worrying about classes).

You work in IT? Is patent law an interest of yours? I'm sure you know, but going into patent law isn't like other areas of law in that you can actually get a job

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
buddytyler wrote: The intern says, out of his entire class that will be graduating in a few weeks, about 25% or less have gigs lined up. The rest are scrambling.



He doesn't need to fudge the numbers anymore, he got the job.

Image



I guess, man. If you read any of the interviews with him, he never denies that those statistics are misleading.

“We are exceedingly proud of the efforts of our Career Strategy office and the work they put in to find employment for our students, but the 98% is more a reflection of the formula used by U.S. News than it is reality.”


EDIT: To an extent, I agree with you :D

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Don't talk him out of withdrawing! I'm just kidding, of course. It sounds like deferring might be a good option, but as Gaud said...patent law is a goldmine and could be considered an anomaly in the job market. I'm still just scratching my head at the one seat deposit thing, and how that affects the wait list..

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:17 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Don't talk him out of withdrawing! I'm just kidding, of course. It sounds like deferring might be a good option, but as Gaud said...patent law is a goldmine and could be considered an anomaly in the job market. I'm still just scratching my head at the one seat deposit thing, and how that affects the wait list..


LOL. I think deferring would be his best option. 55k for a year off is a SWEET deal when you consider you aren't going to pay that much towards your loans in one year.

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:18 pm

You're probably right. I'm just all out of sorts right now since I'm in such limbo. I've got seat deposits at multiple schools, and am waiting on 7 wait lists.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 pm

gaud wrote:You work in IT? Is patent law an interest of yours? I'm sure you know, but going into patent law isn't like other areas of law in that you can actually get a job


Unfortunately my undergrad is in Computer Information Systems (business degree) so I'm ineligible for the patent bar. Otherwise I think I would love patent law.

And I agree that it seems like the patent jobs are easier to get than the others. It makes sense with the higher barriers to entry in the form of a required technical undergrad degree.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm

buddytyler wrote:
gaud wrote:You work in IT? Is patent law an interest of yours? I'm sure you know, but going into patent law isn't like other areas of law in that you can actually get a job


Unfortunately my undergrad is in Computer Information Systems (business degree) so I'm ineligible for the patent bar. Otherwise I think I would love patent law.

And I agree that it seems like the patent jobs are easier to get than the others. It makes sense with the higher barriers to entry in the form of a required technical undergrad degree.


Well, since you aren't going into patent law (assuming), IMHO deferring would be wise. Like I mentioned earlier, 55k towards off of your loans is amazing. Realistically, if you don't defer and attend this fall, you won't be able to put that much towards loan in that extra year of work, ya know?

Still, it's only one opinion and you should take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: ma grammar is crap, oh well

favrefire4
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Even though I've been and toured (last summer) what are everyone's thoughts on making another impromptu visit out there?!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests