Arizona State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Adam Banks
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Adam Banks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:18 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Abisping wrote: It doesn't seem very likely that a school can survive financially with only 135 students.



Actually that was my first thought too.

However the U of A went from 158 students in 2010 to 137 students in 2011 and there is a rumor they are going to around 125 this year.

While ASU went from 191 in 2010 to 168 in 2011 to ~135 in 2012.



Can this be related to asu's jump though? Also that email u of a was sending out made them seem pretty thirsty for students this year.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Abisping wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:
Abisping wrote: It doesn't seem very likely that a school can survive financially with only 135 students.



Actually that was my first thought too.

However the U of A went from 158 students in 2010 to 137 students in 2011 and there is a rumor they are going to around 125 this year.

While ASU went from 191 in 2010 to 168 in 2011 to ~135 in 2012.



Can this be related to asu's jump though? Also that email u of a was sending out made them seem pretty thirsty for students this year.



Yeah, U of A is thirsty but only thirsty for students above their median. I assume ASU is doing the same thing.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:01 am

ASU dominates U of A at this point (ah the days five years ago when it was the other way around).... need to do something about their ranking problem, but that may be hard to do unless they are also willing to cut classes... And Tucson will never be PHX.

Solieyu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Solieyu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Don't forget that ASU is also raising tuition rather substantially. The Arizona legislature made massive cuts in funding to all three state colleges, which has prompted ASU Law to switch to being funded by tuition. That may well have allowed them to raise tuition enough to keep student numbers low. That aside, I still don't know how I'm on the waitlist when I'm above both medians if they are so hungry for numbers.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Solieyu wrote:Don't forget that ASU is also raising tuition rather substantially. The Arizona legislature made massive cuts in funding to all three state colleges, which has prompted ASU Law to switch to being funded by tuition. That may well have allowed them to raise tuition enough to keep student numbers low. That aside, I still don't know how I'm on the waitlist when I'm above both medians if they are so hungry for numbers.



I doubt you are on the waitlist for U of A.

You are on the waitlist --still on the waitlist--- at ASU because ASU is dysfunctional.


Send an email to Shelli or Marisol and see if they ever get back to you. Do the same with U of A.

BTW, the Dean of Admissions at U of A left to become the Dean of Admissions at UNLV?

Solieyu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Solieyu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm in at U of A, though I will probably defer this week/whenever I hear back from ASU. I'll try sending a letter to Shelli/Marisol, perhaps that will help. Curious thing though, I work at the second largest law firm in Arizona. More recently they've taken far more U of A grads than ASU grads, and these are 6 figure starting salaries, so I doubt its because the ASU grads are finding better offers elsewhere.

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Solieyu wrote:Don't forget that ASU is also raising tuition rather substantially. The Arizona legislature made massive cuts in funding to all three state colleges, which has prompted ASU Law to switch to being funded by tuition. That may well have allowed them to raise tuition enough to keep student numbers low. That aside, I still don't know how I'm on the waitlist when I'm above both medians if they are so hungry for numbers.


Let us assume for a second that ASU decides to admit off the waitlist - do you think anyone will be offerred a scholarship? Especially for people like you, with similar numbers to those who were admitted outright and received a scholarship, it may be unwise financially to consider an offer (without a scholarship)from them at this point - especially with a raise in tuition cost. This is one reason I have already begun to study for the LSAT again - I am extremely nervous at the thought of accumulating 100k + in debt.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby gaud » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Solieyu wrote:Curious thing though, I work at the second largest law firm in Arizona. More recently they've taken far more U of A grads than ASU grads, and these are 6 figure starting salaries, so I doubt its because the ASU grads are finding better offers elsewhere.


As far as firms are concerned, ASU and UofA will always be the same. I doubt the increase in rankings will ever change this. That being said, I'd find it hard to believe either school does particularly better than the other.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:08 pm

jennbear wrote:
Solieyu wrote:Don't forget that ASU is also raising tuition rather substantially. The Arizona legislature made massive cuts in funding to all three state colleges, which has prompted ASU Law to switch to being funded by tuition. That may well have allowed them to raise tuition enough to keep student numbers low. That aside, I still don't know how I'm on the waitlist when I'm above both medians if they are so hungry for numbers.


Let us assume for a second that ASU decides to admit off the waitlist - do you think anyone will be offerred a scholarship? Especially for people like you, with similar numbers to those who were admitted outright and received a scholarship, it may be unwise financially to consider an offer (without a scholarship)from them at this point - especially with a raise in tuition cost. This is one reason I have already begun to study for the LSAT again - I am extremely nervous at the thought of accumulating 100k + in debt.


I have a full ride at UNLV, I think I am going to snub nose at ASU unless they offer me a decent scholarship in writing. Twice what Gaud got.

After meeting and touring U of A law school last Friday, ASU scares me, and Shelli scares me even more.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:I have a full ride at UNLV, I think I am going to snub nose at ASU unless they offer me a decent scholarship in writing. Twice what Gaud got.

After meeting and touring U of A law school last Friday, ASU scares me, and Shelli scares me even more.


I think Gaud was offered the maximum scholarship ASU offers for residents ($55k). No, I don't think you were being serious, but I just wanted to confirm that that's in fact the highest because that's what I'm shooting for this cycle.

What do you mean by they "scare" you?

Solieyu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Solieyu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:27 pm

I've begun studying for a retake as well. I'm fairly positive I can break 170 pretty comfortably if my PT results are indicative. That said, the idea of waiting a year is pretty loathesome and I'm confident in my ability to be in the top 10% of my class. Does ASU give new scholarships to 2Ls?

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 pm

buddytyler wrote: What do you mean by they "scare" you?


A lot of things;
from ASU's reduced student enrollment this year which means less money which means they will have a hard time keeping the better faculty.

I toured U of A law school last Friday. The students I met with all told me the say thing. They were accepted at both U of A and ASU. ASU said they would match U of A's scholarships. Shelli promised them that over the phone. They said she would never return her phone calls when they wanted it in writing. They eventually withdrew from ASU. Their friends who went to ASU believed Shelli's verbal scholarship offers/increases, but she also wouldn't return their phone calls. When they showed up on the first day of orientation, Shelli told them if she would have increased/offered them a scholarship, she would have put it in writing.

I am also scared that with the new GPA and LSAT reporting procedures that ASU will take a tumble in the rankings. The U of A students said that the U of A administration was partially behind the new reporting procedures because they had good reason to believe that ASU's numbers weren't real.

I am sure there is law school envy going on about the rank, but the continual fact that ASU is the least transparent law school in the nation scares me.
Last edited by PolySuyGuy on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:03 pm

buddytyler wrote:I think Gaud was offered the maximum scholarship ASU offers for residents ($55k).


That isn't remotely true. Check the official ABA data. You can find it at lsac.org

ASU gives out 11 full tuition scholarships plus stipend for all three years.
ASU gives out 18 full tuition scholarships for all three years.


Full tuition scholarships 19 3.1%
More than full tuition scholarships 11 1.8%

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby desertlaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Solieyu wrote:I've begun studying for a retake as well. I'm fairly positive I can break 170 pretty comfortably if my PT results are indicative. That said, the idea of waiting a year is pretty loathesome and I'm confident in my ability to be in the top 10% of my class. Does ASU give new scholarships to 2Ls?


If you can break 170, don't go to ASU. Go to USC/UCLA/Texas or even Early Admit at UVa. It's worth waiting another year if you can get 170+.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 pm

desertlaw wrote:
Solieyu wrote:I've begun studying for a retake as well. I'm fairly positive I can break 170 pretty comfortably if my PT results are indicative. That said, the idea of waiting a year is pretty loathesome and I'm confident in my ability to be in the top 10% of my class. Does ASU give new scholarships to 2Ls?


If you can break 170, don't go to ASU. Go to USC/UCLA/Texas or even Early Admit at UVa. It's worth waiting another year if you can get 170+.


What if you plan to stay in AZ and don't want biglaw?

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 am

buddytyler wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
Solieyu wrote:I've begun studying for a retake as well. I'm fairly positive I can break 170 pretty comfortably if my PT results are indicative. That said, the idea of waiting a year is pretty loathesome and I'm confident in my ability to be in the top 10% of my class. Does ASU give new scholarships to 2Ls?


If you can break 170, don't go to ASU. Go to USC/UCLA/Texas or even Early Admit at UVa. It's worth waiting another year if you can get 170+.


What if you plan to stay in AZ and don't want biglaw?


Then I suppose ASU would be worth it with >70% scholarship. But what do you plan to do instead of Biglaw?

Solieyu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Solieyu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 am

My reasons for going to ASU are to do with location. My wife and kids are here and I will practice here. I'm not obsessed with BigLaw by any means. As long as I can take care of my family I'm cool with mid law.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Did you see some people called ASU on Monday and Tuesday and they said they were still accepting applications for the incoming class of 2012 if their numbers were superior.

They also emailed ASU, and ASU said in the email that they were no longer accepting applications.

Just like I told everyone, you get a different answer at ASU depending on who you talk with.

Sucks to be on the waitlist at ASU. :cry:


Dirty little game


from the article

(3) If you were on the wait list on one or more of these schools, how aggravated would you be to discover that your spot in the class might be taken by somebody who missed the application deadline by half a year?

User avatar
jennbear
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby jennbear » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:13 pm

.
Last edited by jennbear on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Wow, what a circus. I wonder how this will change schools' processes when I apply next year, particularly ASU.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:52 pm

buddytyler wrote:Wow, what a circus. I wonder how this will change schools' processes when I apply next year, particularly ASU.



Are you sure you want to apply next year? You could possibly get in this year.

Solieyu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Solieyu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:04 pm

That almost makes me feel like I'd have a better shot at getting in by submitting a new application than by waiting out the waitlist... I'd think my scores were sufficient, unless they want T14 scores on month-before-orientation applications. I could even get new Letters of Recommendation from practicing attorneys now as well as the former judge and justice of the peace and law professor I have now. Kicking myself for not taking the June LSAT now.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:06 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
buddytyler wrote:Wow, what a circus. I wonder how this will change schools' processes when I apply next year, particularly ASU.



Are you sure you want to apply next year? You could possibly get in this year.


I already got accepted this year but with a tiny scholly, so I deferred. I am retaking in October. I want an almost-100% scholly.

Solieyu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby Solieyu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 pm

What were your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Postby buddyt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Solieyu wrote:What were your stats, if you don't mind me asking?


Around median for both LSAT and GPA.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”