Arizona State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gaud

Platinum

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Post by gaud » Wed May 09, 2012 1:21 am

desertlaw wrote:Who has gotten their financial aid package? Does it include living expenses estimate as well?
I don't think anyone has received a financial aid package yet. All I've received was my scholarship offer.

I live in Scottsdale and still haven't gotten my admit packet.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

jennbear wrote:Still no decision; talked with Kathy a little while ago and she said her best guess with respect to my application is that there will be a decision around the middle of the month. Not sure what to think of this . . . I am frustrated, but have managed to retain a little hope. This has been a very long five months. Good luck to those of you still waiting this out!

Edit: I recently graduated with an increase in GPA from the time I submitted my application, albeit a small one (LSDAS GPA: 3.75 to 3.83; degree GPA: 4.16 to 4.21). Would it be beneficial to submit an updated transcript at this point,or just ride it out?

Submit anything and everything that helps out your application.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 pm

gaud wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Who has gotten their financial aid package? Does it include living expenses estimate as well?
I don't think anyone has received a financial aid package yet. All I've received was my scholarship offer.

Did you ride out the ASU waitlist last year?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed May 09, 2012 12:38 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
gaud wrote:

Did you ride out the ASU waitlist last year?
Nah, they straight up rejected me last cycle. I had a deposit down a UNLV (they offered $$$) but withdrew over the summer so I could retake.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 pm

pbfoot wrote: Depends on their offer...anyone know if they negotiate? . Love Chapel Hill so I'll likely go to UNC if I get in regardless of scholarship, I'm leaning Wake.
I did my Masters at Wake. Chapel Hill is nice. Great downtown for college students. The Southerners always told me that CARY stood for containment area relocated yankees.

ASU in the past has negotiated scholarships, at Law Day Soto laid down the criteria for negotiation. I think it was comparable school, money difference (she won't negotiate small amounts), how bad they want you, how bad you want them, and money available. I am paraphrasing her words of course.
Everyone that I personally know who has negotiated scholarships was deciding between U of A and ASU and they did the negotiation by phone.
In the spirit of openness though, they all chose U of A because U of A beat any offer ASU countered with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:47 pm

gaud wrote: Nah, they straight up rejected me last cycle. I had a deposit down a UNLV (they offered $$$) but withdrew over the summer so I could retake.
OK, I heard a rumor that they completely exhausted their waitlist last year. I am trying to authenticate that. I have a full scholarship from UNLV I am sitting on and possibly riding out a few waitlists. This seems to be the year of the waitlist.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed May 09, 2012 2:21 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:In the spirit of openness though, they all chose U of A because U of A beat any offer ASU countered with.
UofA has mad $$$ to throw around. I was told, after I withdrew, that they would STILL do anything they could to get me to come there. Roughly, let's say, my offer went from 66k to +80k.

I have obligations to be in Phoenix, though (significant other)

EDIT: I also hate Tucson :lol:

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed May 09, 2012 2:25 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
gaud wrote: Nah, they straight up rejected me last cycle. I had a deposit down a UNLV (they offered $$$) but withdrew over the summer so I could retake.
OK, I heard a rumor that they completely exhausted their waitlist last year. I am trying to authenticate that. I have a full scholarship from UNLV I am sitting on and possibly riding out a few waitlists. This seems to be the year of the waitlist.
Where are you trying to work/live after law school? You're still waiting on a decision from ASU, right? Would you take that over the full ride?

I thought about reapplying to UNLV (I'm positive they'd have given me a full ride) but Nevada just ain't my gig. Very similar to AZ, but I couldn't choose it over AZ, if that makes sense. Totally a personal preference.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu May 10, 2012 12:40 pm

gaud wrote: You're still waiting on a decision from ASU, right? Would you take that over the full ride?
I am so far in debt from undergrad, grad school, and multiple study abroads that it really doesn't matter since there is IBR and I will never be able to repay my student loans in 20 years. But they were the only school that offered me a full ride, others were close though.

I like that they pursued me hard, and addressed all my concerns about attending school there.

I thought about reapplying to UNLV (I'm positive they'd have given me a full ride) but Nevada just ain't my gig. Very similar to AZ, but I couldn't choose it over AZ, if that makes sense. Totally a personal preference.
I am starting up multiple companies and Nevada is the place for that and Nevada doesn't have state income tax. So I would like to live in both places.

Keep my businesses in Nevada and live in the Valley up until the length of time where I have to pay state income tax.

With that said, I have an offer to get off the Wake Forest waitlist and I am riding out Minnesota's waitlist too.

I also enjoy Puerto Penasco a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:I like that they pursued me hard, and addressed all my concerns about attending school there.
This is exactly what almost made me attend last cycle. Their entire admissions department is wonderful and the same seems to apply to the faculty.

MimiSD

New

Post by MimiSD » Thu May 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi everyone!

Good luck with this cycle - I'll be applying in the next! :)

Also, does ASU ever offer full-rides?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 pm

MimiSD wrote:Hi everyone!

Good luck with this cycle - I'll be applying in the next! :)

Also, does ASU ever offer full-rides?

I think ASU gives out three full rides for merit and another one or two for Indian studies. You can always call and ask.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Fri May 11, 2012 7:54 am

ASU offered me full tuition + $40k. I won't be attending so maybe one of you can have it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Fri May 11, 2012 11:59 am

mushybrain wrote:ASU offered me full tuition + $40k. I won't be attending so maybe one of you can have it!
Can you put my name on it?

I see we both got waitlisted at Minnesota?

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Haha, sure!

I guess so! I'm told they heavily yield protect so I don't know if it was that, the fact that I didn't write a "why Minnesota", or if they just hate me.

sinisterkid

New

Post by sinisterkid » Mon May 14, 2012 10:45 am

Withdrew today. Good luck folks.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm

sinisterkid wrote:Withdrew today. Good luck folks.

15th is the deposit deadline right?

Good luck at Georgia State. I assume you are still holding out for Emory?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sinisterkid

New

Post by sinisterkid » Mon May 14, 2012 6:18 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
sinisterkid wrote:Withdrew today. Good luck folks.

15th is the deposit deadline right?

Good luck at Georgia State. I assume you are still holding out for Emory?
Honestly, I don't know what the deposit deadline is.

I'm holding out for Emory and Georgia, and potentially waiting out a year depending on my June LSAT score. 170+ and I'll take a year off.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm

i know a very big slut attending... enjoy...

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Tue May 15, 2012 12:07 pm

loomstate wrote:i know a very big slut attending... enjoy...
When you say 'very big', do you mean she is a big girl who happens to be a slut, or do you mean she is extremely easy?? Hoping for the latter since I'm attending!!! Lol

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue May 15, 2012 12:17 pm

shroeder wrote:
When you say 'very big', do you mean she is a big girl who happens to be a slut, or do you mean she is extremely easy?? Hoping for the latter since I'm attending!!! Lol

I think every male needs to know that answer to that. This could be an effective recruiting tool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Tue May 15, 2012 1:35 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
shroeder wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

I think every male needs to know that answer to that. This could be an effective recruiting tool.

LMAO

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Thu May 17, 2012 12:40 am

she's thin :lol:

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu May 17, 2012 1:14 pm

loomstate wrote:she's thin :lol:

keep going........