Arizona State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gaud

Platinum

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Post by gaud » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
buddytyler wrote:I think Gaud was offered the maximum scholarship ASU offers for residents ($55k).
That isn't remotely true. Check the official ABA data. You can find it at lsac.org
55k was the initial scholarship offer. ASU will negotiate if you don't give up. I'm not going to say much more.
Solieyu wrote:My reasons for going to ASU are to do with location. My wife and kids are here and I will practice here. I'm not obsessed with BigLaw by any means. As long as I can take care of my family I'm cool with mid law.
I decided to stay in-state for the same sort of reasons. to add to what DesertLaw said, as long as you have a >70% scholarship, it's not that bad of a decision.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:49 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:I have a full ride at UNLV, I think I am going to snub nose at ASU unless they offer me a decent scholarship in writing. Twice what Gaud got.

After meeting and touring U of A law school last Friday, ASU scares me, and Shelli scares me even more.
Lol, why do you hate ASU tso much?

I hope you realize, that regardless of what you heard at UofA or ASU, the schools will still place the same in firms. Going to whichever is cheapest will always be TCR

jennbear

New

Post by jennbear » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Solieyu wrote:Kicking myself for not taking the June LSAT now.
+1

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:10 pm

gaud wrote: Lol, why do you hate ASU tso much?

I hope you realize, that regardless of what you heard at UofA or ASU, the schools will still place the same in firms.

I don't think hate is the right work. Frustrated at their lack of transparency and clear communication would probably be the proper phrase. I am also going to be extremely pissed off if I go to ASU and they take a huge tumble in rankings because they can't fabricate/massage/recalibrate their GPA and LSAT numbers to where they were before because of the new transparency rules.

Three years ago, the 25% LSAT at ASU was 155, now it is 160. Yet, their applications have gone down, their bar results have gone down, and they made their law faculty take pay cuts.

My understanding is that ASU almost exclusively places in Phoenix and U of A places everywhere in Arizona and a large part in Las Vegas.
The students that I talked with last Friday told me that there is always a job for U of A grads in Las Vegas. One grad told me that she was offered 3 jobs in Las Vegas but turned them all down to stay in Arizona and was now "working" for the law school.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:22 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
gaud wrote: Lol, why do you hate ASU tso much?

I hope you realize, that regardless of what you heard at UofA or ASU, the schools will still place the same in firms.

I don't think hate is the right work. Frustrated at their lack of transparency and clear communication would probably be the proper phrase. I am also going to be extremely pissed off if I go to ASU and they take a huge tumble in rankings because they can't fabricate/massage/recalibrate their GPA and LSAT numbers to where they were before because of the new transparency rules.

Three years ago, the 25% LSAT at ASU was 155, now it is 160. Yet, their applications have gone down, their bar results have gone down, and they made their law faculty take pay cuts.
Ah, yea, I agree with you there.
PolySuyGuy wrote:My understanding is that ASU almost exclusively places in Phoenix and U of A places everywhere in Arizona and a large part in Las Vegas.
The students that I talked with last Friday told me that there is always a job for U of A grads in Las Vegas. One grad told me that she was offered 3 jobs in Las Vegas but turned them all down to stay in Arizona and was now "working" for the law school.
ASU does place more exclusively in Phoenix, but I'd imagine that's because most people who go to law school in Arizona want to work in Phoenix. Where else in AZ would be enjoyable to work? Nowhere. Lol.

As fas as UofA and vegas, IMO if you want Vegas it'd be foolish to go to law school in AZ. UNLV for Vegas all day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Solieyu

New

Post by Solieyu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Another good school for working in Phoenix's biggest law firms? BYU. Firm I'm working at currently brought in five Summer Associates from BYU. More than ASU and U of A combined.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Solieyu wrote:Another good school for working in Phoenix's biggest law firms? BYU. Firm I'm working at currently brought in five Summer Associates from BYU. More than ASU and U of A combined.

You would think ASU would accept more Mormons to protect their territory.

I shouldn't say anything since they accepted me but I turned them down.

Best of luck to those on the ASU waitlist. I'm off to BruinLand

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:59 pm

I was told that ASU is meeting today to move their waitlist and that there is a good chance they will move the entire list.

My information is second hand.

Source: An acquaintance of mine went to talk to admissions for me. He was told they are meeting today to possibly move the waitlist. Upon leaving he was stopped by what appeared to be a student who works in the admissions office who told him that she overheard someone say that they were probably going to have to move the entire list.

We will see huh?

Solieyu

New

Post by Solieyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:03 pm

I wonder how that jives with the earlier reports of them being happy with their current class? Trying not to get my hopes up, but they're steadily rising. I hope that student was correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm

WOW

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:04 pm

I just got an email from ASU notifying me of my student ID number, did anyone else get this?

Solieyu

New

Post by Solieyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:20 pm

I didn't. But I already have an ASU Student ID number, so not sure if I would.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Solieyu wrote:I didn't. But I already have an ASU Student ID number, so not sure if I would.

Why would ASU send me an ID number? Is that typical for them to send non-accepted students that number?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Solieyu

New

Post by Solieyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:25 pm

I honestly am not sure. I was an Undergrad there, which is why I have one. I can't imagine any other reason though. So, how bout those UNLV plans?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Solieyu wrote:I honestly am not sure. I was an Undergrad there, which is why I have one. I can't imagine any other reason though. So, how bout those UNLV plans?

to be honest, next to Wake Forest, UNLV has been the most professional, transparent and easy to contact law school I have dealt with.

I called ASU Law and of course they didn't answer. So I called the University Admissions and they said they have no record of me or my student ID number. They said if it would have happened, it would have been in the last 24 hrs.

I was set on putting all my loan money on black 17 with twenty to one odds and having my law school paid for.

bTW, what is this? LOL

https://aces.law.asu.edu/YourStatus/mem ... logon.aspx

Solieyu

New

Post by Solieyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Who was the e-mail from?

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Sounds like you're in to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jennbear

New

Post by jennbear » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:53 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:I just got an email from ASU notifying me of my student ID number, did anyone else get this?
Did not get the email, but I already have an ASU student ID - just graduated in May . . . . hmmmm I am trying not to get excited, but it looks like we will know our fate soon, at least!

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Looks like I took my name off of the list too early...

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Solieyu wrote:Who was the e-mail from?

I don't want to say since I am the only one that apparently got it.

You ASU people, is there anyway I can verify acceptance now that I have my 10 digit ID number?

Normally I would be completely dumbfounded if they gave me a student ID and didn't give me an acceptance, however, this is ASU law.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 pm

jennbear wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:I just got an email from ASU notifying me of my student ID number, did anyone else get this?
Did not get the email, but I already have an ASU student ID - just graduated in May . . . . hmmmm I am trying not to get excited, but it looks like we will know our fate soon, at least!

Can you get online and verify if you are accepted using your ASU student ID?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jennbear

New

Post by jennbear » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:11 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
jennbear wrote:

Can you get online and verify if you are accepted using your ASU student ID?
I went to the law school website and it lets me log in with my ASU ID; but, when I try and "update profile" it says there is no such profile matching my ASU ID.

Go to the law school website and click on current students - there should be a link for law interactive, which requires you to sign in using your ASU ID. See what happens :)

jennbear

New

Post by jennbear » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:12 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:

Normally I would be completely dumbfounded if they gave me a student ID and didn't give me an acceptance, however, this is ASU law.
Last edited by jennbear on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solieyu

New

Post by Solieyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:35 pm

You don't log in with a number, but with a ASURITE ID. Not sure what you can do with just an ID number. Get a now Defunct SunCard?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Solieyu wrote:You don't log in with a number, but with a ASURITE ID. Not sure what you can do with just an ID number. Get a now Defunct SunCard?

I need an activation code to get an asurite ID. It says it is found on your acceptance letter. Does anyone have an activation code I can use?

I have an official asu email address too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”