Arizona State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FinallyGoing

Bronze

Re: Arizona State c/o 2015

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu May 03, 2012 5:44 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Sorry about that...what were your stats?
Below both medians.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon May 07, 2012 1:18 pm

favrefire4 wrote: Yep, I withdrew from everywhere else.
I want to know how you afford all those deposits. Haven't you paid three already?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon May 07, 2012 1:29 pm

favrefire4 wrote:
Glock wrote:.Kathy told me the other day that most of their wait list activity doesn't occur until June or July.

That is great. By that time people have to submit second deposits to other schools, sign leases, get roommates, arrange financial aid etc.

jgrady1

New

Post by jgrady1 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Finally!! Just got accepted. Probably not going, but my application cycle comes to an end... in a good way :)

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aellio26

New

Post by aellio26 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:30 pm

hey guys,

I am still deciding between U of A and ASU, and was wondering if you guys know reasons I would choose ASU over U of A. They both seem to be relatively small, and cost around the same... I haven't lived in Arizona so I am not familiar with either

thanks so much!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm

aellio26 wrote:hey guys,

I am still deciding between U of A and ASU, and was wondering if you guys know reasons I would choose ASU over U of A. They both seem to be relatively small, and cost around the same... I haven't lived in Arizona so I am not familiar with either

thanks so much!
Go to whichever is cheaper. Differences are minimal.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 12:25 am

thanks so much!
I think this has been discussed plenty before but the quality of the schools don't have as big of a difference as the cities being different.

Tempe = part of huge metropolitan Phoenix, tons of things to do inside/outside/nightlife

Tucson = much smaller college town, less nightlight, but plenty to do outside if you're into desert hiking/biking. Might be a better place if you're worried about being distracted by nightlife/big city of Phoenix&Tempe.

With both, you'll need great grades to get Phoenix BigLaw. But everyone here will argue which school is better for networking/alumni/MidLaw. Which means they are probably pretty similar. The cities, everyone can agree they are really different.

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 am

Congrats guys! I'm jealous!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pbfoot

Bronze

Post by pbfoot » Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 pm

in yesterday, anyone know if scholarship offers are made via email or the admit packet?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm

pbfoot wrote:in yesterday, anyone know if scholarship offers are made via email or the admit packet?
You'll receive it in the formal acceptance letter in a week or so.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:33 pm

jgrady1 wrote:Finally!! Just got accepted. Probably not going, but my application cycle comes to an end... in a good way :)

Headed to the Windy City?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm

hoos89 wrote: I sent it in in late December and I honestly thought they had lost my application or something. Seems weird to send out decisions this late.

I am sure their weirdness will all change once you enroll :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:48 pm

thanks so much!

U of A has a lot smaller class and is way more personal. They also have a LOT more money thanks to the Rogers. The cost of living is way cheaper in Tucson and there is little traffic and no haboobs. Only a skilled person would notice the pollution in Tucson while children, the sick and old people are asked not to go outside too much in Phoenix.

U of A remains study in the rankings while ASU jumps around a lot.
U of A has great access to the Las Vegas and San Diego markets while ASU is purely Phoenix.

One good thing about Phoenix is you get your trash picked up twice a week, while in Tucson it is only once. Which many times is the selling point.

The only other reason I know people choose Phoenix over Tucson is for family reasons.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 pm

pbfoot wrote:in yesterday, anyone know if scholarship offers are made via email or the admit packet?

Are you going?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 3:00 pm

desertlaw wrote: Tucson = much smaller college town,
I have a hard time calling Tucson a college town or even a smaller town. Tucson area is around 1 million people. Which is the 32nd largest city in the United States. Which makes it the 52 largest metropolitan area in the United States.

Tucson is larger than Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Tampa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and of course Sioux Falls, SD.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
desertlaw wrote: Tucson = much smaller college town,
I have a hard time calling Tucson a college town or even a smaller town. Tucson area is around 1 million people. Which is the 32nd largest city in the United States. Which makes it the 52 largest metropolitan area in the United States.

Tucson is larger than Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Tampa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and of course Sioux Falls, SD.
I will grant that Tuscon has more people than many other cities.... But anyone who has ever been there knows the place is a HOLE. The city is just plain ghetto, and no level of population is going to overcome that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue May 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Nammertat wrote:I will grant that Tuscon has more people than many other cities.... But anyone who has ever been there knows the place is a HOLE. The city is just plain ghetto, and no level of population is going to overcome that.

For some reason this image came to mind when I read your comment. No offense intended but in many ways it sums up Tucson.

--ImageRemoved--

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Nammertat wrote:I will grant that Tuscon has more people than many other cities.... But anyone who has ever been there knows the place is a HOLE. The city is just plain ghetto, and no level of population is going to overcome that.

For some reason this image came to mind when I read your comment. No offense intended but in many ways it sums up Tucson.
As a lifelong east valley resident, I can confirm that the Phoenix area is in almost every way superior to Tucson. If given a choice between ASU law and U of A law, I can't see any real reason why anyone would choose U of A. If you're attending either school you're likely going to be practicing in the state, and at ASU you will have a lot more interaction with Phoenix firms/government agencies than at U of A.

That being said, I don't think either one is worth attending without a nearly full ride scholly.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Tue May 08, 2012 3:59 pm

buddytyler wrote:I can confirm that the Phoenix area is in almostevery way superior to Tucson.
FTFY

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 pm

buddytyler wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

As a lifelong east valley resident, I can confirm that the Phoenix area is in almost every way superior to Tucson. If given a choice between ASU law and U of A law, I can't see any real reason why anyone would choose U of A. If you're attending either school you're likely going to be practicing in the state, and at ASU you will have a lot more interaction with Phoenix firms/government agencies than at U of A.

That being said, I don't think either one is worth attending without a nearly full ride scholly.
This thread or another one has discussed this issue over and over. Best argument for living in Tucson during law school is if you want to be "less tempted" by the distractions of a big city of Tempe/Phoenix.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jgrady1

New

Post by jgrady1 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:43 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
jgrady1 wrote:Finally!! Just got accepted. Probably not going, but my application cycle comes to an end... in a good way :)

Headed to the Windy City?
Yeah :) Completed undergrad and grad school at ASU. Time to move on :) Six years is plenty of time to be at one school. I'll miss it though ASU is a great school.

pbfoot

Bronze

Post by pbfoot » Tue May 08, 2012 4:49 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:

Are you going?
Depends on their offer...anyone know if they negotiate? I'm sitting on 30k at IUB, 60k at Wake, and waitlists at W&M and UNC. Love Chapel Hill so I'll likely go to UNC if I get in regardless of scholarship, W&M maybe, but pending those, and unless ASU's offer is comparable, I'm leaning Wake.

jennbear

New

Post by jennbear » Tue May 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Still no decision; talked with Kathy a little while ago and she said her best guess with respect to my application is that there will be a decision around the middle of the month. Not sure what to think of this . . . I am frustrated, but have managed to retain a little hope. This has been a very long five months. Good luck to those of you still waiting this out!

Edit: I recently graduated with an increase in GPA from the time I submitted my application, albeit a small one (LSDAS GPA: 3.75 to 3.83; degree GPA: 4.16 to 4.21). Would it be beneficial to submit an updated transcript at this point,or just ride it out?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Who has gotten their financial aid package? Does it include living expenses estimate as well?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”