Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitsplat

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby splitsplat » Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm

masked kavana wrote:I'm confused about the waitlist. Do you have to deposit the $500 immediately when they call or do you get some time?

I was given a week to decide, I think that is standard.

PoliticalJunkie73

Postby PoliticalJunkie73 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the $500 back (or a portion of it back) if you withdraw?

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Wed May 09, 2012 1:51 pm

PoliticalJunkie73 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to get the $500 back (or a portion of it back) if you withdraw?

It's supposedly "non-refundable." If you're serious about withdrawing, I don't see how it would hurt to ask...

PoliticalJunkie73

Postby PoliticalJunkie73 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
PoliticalJunkie73 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to get the $500 back (or a portion of it back) if you withdraw?

It's supposedly "non-refundable." If you're serious about withdrawing, I don't see how it would hurt to ask...

Done, I just withdrew. I hope my spot goes to one of you. I'll let you know if any of the deposit gets returned to me (I'm guessing no).

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Thu May 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Does Anyone know the maximum amount of grant/scholarship money that hastings gives students?

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Thu May 10, 2012 4:43 pm

masked kavana wrote:Does Anyone know the maximum amount of grant/scholarship money that hastings gives students?

From what I've seen and read:

$15k Grants (most get around $10k)
$15k Merit aid
Total = $30k

It seems like $20-25k is typical for applicants who they really want.

martorem

Postby martorem » Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Got in off the waitlist last week with $21,500/year in scholarship money. I just withdrew - I'm a little upset because if I had been admitted straightaway I would have been able to visit and seriously consider Hastings. I love San Francisco and I think I would be happy studying there but I just can't commit like this. I hope someone here gets my spot and money!! Good luck guys!!

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri May 11, 2012 4:47 pm

martorem wrote:Got in off the waitlist last week with $21,500/year in scholarship money. I just withdrew - I'm a little upset because if I had been admitted straightaway I would have been able to visit and seriously consider Hastings. I love San Francisco and I think I would be happy studying there but I just can't commit like this. I hope someone here gets my spot and money!! Good luck guys!!

It's only May. You should ask Greg Canada for an extension and visit before making your decision.

martorem

Postby martorem » Sat May 12, 2012 3:02 pm

splitsplat wrote:
martorem wrote:Got in off the waitlist last week with $21,500/year in scholarship money. I just withdrew - I'm a little upset because if I had been admitted straightaway I would have been able to visit and seriously consider Hastings. I love San Francisco and I think I would be happy studying there but I just can't commit like this. I hope someone here gets my spot and money!! Good luck guys!!

It's only May. You should ask Greg Canada for an extension and visit before making your decision.

I thought about doing that, but honestly I'm still not sure I would choose it. I've already committed to another school and I've been gearing up to move in and find roommates, etc. I'm really excited about where I will be attending too so at this point I'm okay with where I'll be in the fall. Oh well, Hastings' loss!

tropicanax

Postby tropicanax » Tue May 15, 2012 11:11 pm

wow they give so much money to people off waitlists... not even that much to ppl who got in and asked for extra money -_-

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Wed May 16, 2012 12:48 am

tropicanax wrote:wow they give so much money to people off waitlists... not even that much to ppl who got in and asked for extra money -_-

^it's annoying

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:40 am

tropicanax wrote:wow they give so much money to people off waitlists... not even that much to ppl who got in and asked for extra money -_-

It's a sign of desperation to maintain consistent median LSAT/GPA #'s. I wished I waited a year to apply. This cycle is incredibly forgiving to borderline applicants.

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Wed May 16, 2012 11:24 am

kapital98 wrote:

It's a sign of desperation to maintain consistent median LSAT/GPA #'s. I wished I waited a year to apply. This cycle is incredibly forgiving to borderline applicants.

I agree with your general conclusion, but why wouldn't they make reasonable offers to their original admits? It doesn't make sense that waitlist admits get better offers.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed May 16, 2012 11:27 am

onedavetoomany wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I agree with your general conclusion, but why wouldn't they make reasonable offers to their original admits? It doesn't make sense that waitlist admits get better offers.

I can't say this without looking at the specific numbers, but I know that like many schools, Hastings YPs. They do this because they don't think the candidate will actually attend. If the candidate then writes a LOCI and says they want to, then they'll accept them and throw in some money to seal the deal. Not saying that is what is occurring in every case, but it happens.

Manimal

Postby Manimal » Wed May 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Does anybody know if Hastings will offer additional scholarship money as their entering class shapes up? I was offered 10,000 grants initially, then a 5,000 scholarship the day before my seat deposit was due. I've since deposited at Hastings and Davis. I can't make up my mind where I'm gonna go. I'm hoping Hastings will offer me a bit more money and seal the deal. Anybody know if Hastings responds to applicants with multiple deposits down? Thanks!

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:37 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

They don't care about giving you what you deserve (essentially what your GPA+LSAT is.) They care about getting you into the class so they can use your numbers for rankings. Once you've accepted to go to Hastings they have no incentive to offer you more money.

Unfortunately for Hastings, the number of applicants significantly declined. This was unprecedented and (probably) couldn't be fully accounted for when originally handing out scholarship aid to entice students. Scholarships are based on statistical averages to try to build the best class possible while maintaining profitability.

Waitlist applicants are their last shot at maintaining good numbers. They need to give them as much money as they can to fill in any LSAT/GPA shortfalls. Due to the aberrant nature of this years cycle waitlist applicants, who have still not committed, are more valuable to admission officials than in previous years.

To use a cliche towards students already admitted, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Mon May 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Just go off the waitlist... to those who got off, did your receive you merit/financial aid information over the phone, or did it come in an email later? I am trying to decide between here and USD (18k/yr) and am worried about $$ since they only gave me till Thursday to decide. Sorry if this has been cover in past posts, but I'm and work and don't have time to read through them right now. Any info is appreciated.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:Just go off the waitlist... to those who got off, did your receive you merit/financial aid information over the phone, or did it come in an email later? I am trying to decide between here and USD (18k/yr) and am worried about $$ since they only gave me till Thursday to decide. Sorry if this has been cover in past posts, but I'm and work and don't have time to read through them right now. Any info is appreciated.

Did you send in the supplemental form? If you did, call up the financial aid office they should be able to tell you what your award is. Victor is especially helpful. :)

Good luck!

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 am

PizzaShrapnel wrote:Just go off the waitlist... to those who got off, did your receive you merit/financial aid information over the phone, or did it come in an email later? I am trying to decide between here and USD (18k/yr) and am worried about $$ since they only gave me till Thursday to decide. Sorry if this has been cover in past posts, but I'm and work and don't have time to read through them right now. Any info is appreciated.

Congratulations on the acceptance!

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm

masked kavana wrote:

Did you send in the supplemental form? If you did, call up the financial aid office they should be able to tell you what your award is. Victor is especially helpful. :)

Good luck!

Just sent it in today. Thanks for the info, though!

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm

apollo2015 wrote:

Congratulations on the acceptance!

Thanks, appreciate it!

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue May 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Any updates from waitlisters? Any movement?

plaid

Postby plaid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I haven't seen any movement from the waitlist. I'm calling them later today, since it's now June and they have yet to send me more information about the waitlist. Nor have they confirmed that they received my email that added someone who can accept an offer on my behalf, as I'm out of the US at the moment.

lowereastside

Postby lowereastside » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:43 am

I was an original admit last year given no aid (since I didn't qualify for the Hastings grant or merit based aid), but was able to negotiate merit aid with Hastings after depositing because I got into UC Davis off the waitlist. So it is possible to get merit-based aid after the fact, but you have to be lucky (I think the person who originally had my scholarship ended up withdrawing, so Hastings had some money to redistribute) and consider not going to Hastings (which was the position I was in as UC Davis was offering me need-based aid).

As for the expense of deposits, it doesn't hurt to ask the school you end up going to, to see if they would consider reimbursing you for a seat deposit you placed at another school. The worst they can do is say no.

One of the nice things about Hastings is they backload scholarships, so there is a generous amount given to 2L/3L students. A lot of schools give you a lot of money upfront and then have grade stips that mean quite a few people will lose their scholarships. I got less money than other schools were offering, but I think I just have to maintain a 2.0 or a 2.5 (and if I can't do that, I have bigger problems), and there is a scholarship application that lists the scholarships available just for 2L/3Ls.

plaid

Postby plaid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am

I just received my first piece of correspondance about Hastings' waitlist. Did anyone else receive this yesterday? (Or in prior weeks?)

"We plan to make a final round of offers of admission from our waitlist in the days ahead. If you would like to be considered for a spot at UC Hastings, please contact me promptly [...] It is important that we receive your email as soon as possible. If you are selected for admission from the wait list, you will receive a telephone call notifying you of that decision. You will be required to make a $500.00 non-refundable deposit to secure your place in the fall class. You may wish to review the wait list requirements on the UC Hastings website at: http://www.uchastings.edu/waitlist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”